Nice to read such words from my idol. Your work inspired me to keep on modelling and learn since you are self tought 3D modeller also.

whaaaat!? I'm your idol? well shucks  :wub: I think thats awesome to hear. Much appreciated. 

• Like 4

i really liked the vests adacas. but armor values maybe lil bit too high? what do u think?

i really liked the vests adacas. but armor values maybe lil bit too high? what do u think?

The plates that get used in these vests are able to withstand multiple 7.62x51 rounds without penetration - in fact, I recently watched a test of current plates from 20ft and they took 5 M855 rounds, 5 Mk318 rounds, and 5 M80A1 rounds to the same plate with no penetration.  This was against only the ceramic plate as well, not with the additional Kevlar mesh cover and impact covers.  These vests are also usually worn with side plates as well.

Testing in game, the plates took 3x 7.62x51 shots from close range from the Mk18 before killing the target - if anything they'd be on the low end for armor values.

• Like 4

The plates that get used in these vests are able to withstand multiple 7.62x51 rounds without penetration - in fact, I recently watched a test of current plates from 20ft and they took 5 M855 rounds, 5 Mk318 rounds, and 5 M80A1 rounds to the same plate with no penetration.  This was against only the ceramic plate as well, not with the additional Kevlar mesh cover and impact covers.  These vests are also usually worn with side plates as well.

Testing in game, the plates took 3x 7.62x51 shots from close range from the Mk18 before killing the target - if anything they'd be on the low end for armor values.

This is a debate that's been done to death so many times, and the trouble is the majority of people who play ARMA games don't really bother with real life statistics, it's either "good"or "bad"with them.

I have plates here in Iraq, triple curved, that have multiple strike protection from 7.62 x 51 AP, the plates might hold, but I'd be in shit state being hit up to 5 times in the chest!!

Even bad guys out their faces on drugs, will take multiple High Velocity hit before they keel over/bleed out.

• Like 3

This is a debate that's been done to death so many times, and the trouble is the majority of people who play ARMA games don't really bother with real life statistics, it's either "good"or "bad"with them.

I have plates here in Iraq, triple curved, that have multiple strike protection from 7.62 x 51 AP, the plates might hold, but I'd be in shit state being hit up to 5 times in the chest!!

Even bad guys out their faces on drugs, will take multiple High Velocity hit before they keel over/bleed out.

Yeah you're definitely out of commission, you're just not dead.  Arma doesn't really simulate knocked out anymore other than getting ran over or something, but ACE and such do.  

• Like 3

I'm on the side who thinks of Arma as a game and not a simulation of actual combat. Sure, it pays more respect to what combat is than most (if not all) other combat games out there, but it is still just that. I'm not a fan of regenerating health, and neither am I a fan of throwing down a medpack and watching everyone within a certain radius heal all wounds. However, I'm also not a fan of taking two shots to the chest and being forced to respawn because of an AI rifleman clipping through a door, or a staircase, or a wall, or pretty much anything. Anything I can do to give myself the opportunity to survive, I'll do (within reason, of course). I'd rather play with a vest that takes 3-5 hits to the chest than one that can withstand 1 -- if they shoot me dead on and I hold my tongue just right while wiggling my big toes. Besides, it isn't only the vest AI or other players hit. A headshot is still a headshot.

• Like 3

I'm on the side who thinks of Arma as a game and not a simulation of actual combat. Sure, it pays more respect to what combat is than most (if not all) other combat games out there, but it is still just that. I'm not a fan of regenerating health, and neither am I a fan of throwing down a medpack and watching everyone within a certain radius heal all wounds. However, I'm also not a fan of taking two shots to the chest and being forced to respawn because of an AI rifleman clipping through a door, or a staircase, or a wall, or pretty much anything. Anything I can do to give myself the opportunity to survive, I'll do (within reason, of course). I'd rather play with a vest that takes 3-5 hits to the chest than one that can withstand 1 -- if they shoot me dead on and I hold my tongue just right while wiggling my big toes. Besides, it isn't only the vest AI or other players hit. A headshot is still a headshot.

If you want realism, ask your wife/girlfriend to stand beside you with a baseball bat, and every time you get shot in the game, she swings that bat like babe Ruth, and clocks you wherever you were hit!! :D

You will soon stop complaining about armour levels then!! hahahahaha

• Like 7

Your a real font of wisdom mate :)What kind of vest do you use?

Rolled sleeves uniforms

R2uT0cI.jpg

H6kMiBg.jpg

Great stuff is coming guys! :D

• Like 11

Is there posibility there would even be like "marksman" vest with pouches for 7.62 20round magazine ?

To the topic of the 

The only time i got hit by a Bullet in my Life was with two 9mm.

Luckily the two 9mm were completely unable to even dent the Plates, but i still had 3 broken Ribs and a about 2cm big wound on my right Arm, add that to the shock and you are pretty much unable to really fight you would be still able to shoot in the general direction of the enemy but not very effective.

But i would suppose most people would react like i did: Just throw the Rifle away and try to get a medic.

• Like 3

Regarding this whole armor values topic.

I intentend the armor to be stronger and I like how it is right now. The Ciras vest is a bulky vest and I wanted it to feel like one with stronger armor.

Now for those who are discussing how it feels like to get shot the only way to simulate this in Arma is with ACE mod. Getting shot with my vest will likely get you unconscious but not dead and thats how I intented from the beginning. If you're not using ACE mod you're playing Arma wrong.

I won't be changing armor values.

• Like 7

Regarding this whole armor values topic.

I intentend the armor to be stronger and I like how it is right now. The Ciras vest is a bulky vest and I wanted it to feel like one with stronger armor.

Now for those who are discussing how it feels like to get shot the only way to simulate this in Arma is with ACE mod. Getting shot with my vest will likely get you unconscious but not dead and thats how I intented from the beginning. If you're not using ACE mod you're playing Arma wrong.

I won't be changing armor values.

"If you're not using ACE mod you're playing Arma wrong" 

Truer Words have never been spoken.

Don't want to discuss the Armor Values but do you really consider the CIRAS to be bulky? I used it for most of my Career now and i never thought of it as bulky especially in comparsion to normal Infantry Vests. 

Infact i bought it to get a somewhat slimmer Vest and because nearly everyone in my Unit is using it.

I really hope for a dedicated Radio/Teamleader/FAC Version of the Vest with a big Admin Pouch and maybe some more "Medic" Pouches, i know many Guys who just use them because they're Waterproof for other stuff like Batteries etc.

Uniforms look great eith rolled sleeves! I just feel like the wrist part that's rolled is a little too flat? I did view it in my phone so it be that.

• Like 1

Uniforms look great eith rolled sleeves! I just feel like the wrist part that's rolled is a little too flat? I did view it in my phone so it be that.

Its because the sleeve doesn't have any detail at all. I will try to simulate some wrinkles in it

EDIT

Here I tweaked the texture:

HJTx6gb.png

• Like 11

when can we have it ?   ohhhh crap i am not allowed to ask that, right ? ..... so ... when can we have it   :P

just kidding ..... looks good can't wait for the next update  :P keep up the work  i realy love the vests and am using them now all the time 

"If you're not using ACE mod you're playing Arma wrong" 

Truer Words have never been spoken.

Don't want to discuss the Armor Values but do you really consider the CIRAS to be bulky? I used it for most of my Career now and i never thought of it as bulky especially in comparsion to normal Infantry Vests. 

Infact i bought it to get a somewhat slimmer Vest and because nearly everyone in my Unit is using it.

I really hope for a dedicated Radio/Teamleader/FAC Version of the Vest with a big Admin Pouch and maybe some more "Medic" Pouches, i know many Guys who just use them because they're Waterproof for other stuff like Batteries etc.

It's not bulky unless you're comparing it to a literal plate carrier, but the people who use it (as a piece of issued equipment, not bought) are also being issued top tier plates/side plates like I described in my post above.  For comparison, the plates the regular US Army/Marines were using were rated for 7.62x39 not 7.62x51 and not typically to survive multiple impacts (or better thought of as specific energy thresholds of around 2800ft/s) again, like I described above.  

But no, it isn't bulky, it's a pretty good merger between inherent protection (side plate pouches) and agility - as long as you don't go full retard on attaching stuff to it.

@road runner - I'm currently running the Crye JPC2.0 in Ranger Green w/side plates.

Edit: @adacas - Those uniforms would typically be tucked in too, whether those or G3 version :)

Edit: @adacas - Those uniforms would typically be tucked in too, whether those or G3 version :)

I was regular Army from '02-'06, and God forbid an NCO or Officer saw you with your top tucked in. We couldn't roll our sleeves, we couldn't unblouse our boots, we couldn't go two steps without putting our tops on over our undershirts -- all while in Baghdad mid-summer. It was one of those little (sometimes big) things that always irritated me about the regular military. It's also the reasons I prefer uniforms in this game with sleeves rolled and pant legs unbloused.

• Like 3

I was regular Army from '02-'06, and God forbid an NCO or Officer saw you with your top tucked in. We couldn't roll our sleeves, we couldn't unblouse our boots, we couldn't go two steps without putting our tops on over our undershirts -- all while in Baghdad mid-summer. It was one of those little (sometimes big) things that always irritated me about the regular military. It's also the reasons I prefer uniforms in this game with sleeves rolled and pant legs unbloused.

I think most people prefer uniforms unrolled and unbloused in-game because we all like to think we are Tier1 super dooper elite bad asses too :)

• Like 5

Not a major factor as in, "I need to go SOF because of rolled sleeves" but definitely a factor in why I did in terms of poor leadership decisions that impact the mission.

Then you get there, and there are still poor leadership decisions, but at least they don't impact the mission.  When it comes to that, there's very little bullshit.

• Like 1

Didn't knew the US Army could be that strict. Most guys i've worked with oversea seemed pretty relaxed with their clothing.

I've even seen some people wearing nothing under the Vest, this really cant be comfortable.

The only thing important imho is that the Pants aren't in the Boots because that sucks while marching long distances (20km+), and the rolled sleeves are nice for Tanoa and of course, Afghanistan/Iraq Maps.

It's not bulky unless you're comparing it to a literal plate carrier, but the people who use it (as a piece of issued equipment, not bought) are also being issued top tier plates/side plates like I described in my post above.  For comparison, the plates the regular US Army/Marines were using were rated for 7.62x39 not 7.62x51 and not typically to survive multiple impacts (or better thought of as specific energy thresholds of around 2800ft/s) again, like I described above.  

But no, it isn't bulky, it's a pretty good merger between inherent protection (side plate pouches) and agility - as long as you don't go full retard on attaching stuff to it.

@road runner - I'm currently running the Crye JPC2.0 in Ranger Green w/side plates.

I never got to like the JPC, infact some Guys in my Unit (myself included) like to call it the "tactical bra" because thats how it looks when wearing it. Nothing particular good when you are over 2m.

I thought about getting the CPC as replacement for my CIRAS which is after nearly 7 Years of usage pretty f....... up.

• Like 2

Didn't knew the US Army could be that strict. Most guys i've worked with oversea seemed pretty relaxed with their clothing.

I've even seen some people wearing nothing under the Vest, this really cant be comfortable.

The extent of the rules and their enforcement differed from Unit to Unit. That was another issue I had -- inconsistency. No one wore their gear the same way. IFAKs were placed differently on vests, for example.