Sign in to follow this  
NickNukem

BOHEMIA Please Tell Us You Have Fixed This

Your New Map Looks Great!

However, the well known terrain problems are so disheartening. Every player here has seen, and has had to deal with floating rocks, trees, bushes, AI, and Players due to terrain not displaying properly. No setting tweaks fixes this %100. The closest thing we can do is SEVERELY limit our view distance to the point where it is a handicap.

Seeing players, objects, or AI through mountains and hills takes away from the game, and is borderline infuriating when you are shooting at something that is really on the other side of the mountain, but you can't tell until you shoot and watch dirt exploding where their body is.

Terrain is crucial to a MilSim and just gameplay in general.

Can you tell us that you have addressed this!! The screenshots I provided are nowhere close to the worst examples of this problem that EVERY player deals with.

If you have better examples guys, post your pics!!!! (In my first picture...these AI were actually on the opposite side of the mountain...)

S7BXHuT.jpg

p6DVlfI.jpg

What are you're video settings, terrain quality, view distance etc?

Nick, Its obvious you have to increase the terrain detail above LOWEST.

The position of trees, rocks, AI etc are based on the hires ground so that everything is in the same place for all players.

Lowest setting of terrain has to truncate a LOT of data but the objects still have to match the higher res positions for all players.

That map is not part of the vanilla maps, hence I'm not sure if BI can do much about it.

But yeah, increasing detail and visual distance usually makes the trick.

• Like 1

Yup, terrain detail to ultra. Done.

If you're playing MP, the server needs to change it.

It makes the terrain accurate enough up to 3km or so. And even then you'd need extremely powerful scope to spot the simplified terrain grid.

All settings are on highest possible.

Yes the server has an the exile script that takes away the grass. But this still happens regardless. Happens on Wasteland modes or whatever else you have. We have all seen this.

Your New Map Looks Great!

However, the well known terrain problems are so disheartening. Every player here has seen, and has had to deal with floating rocks, trees, bushes, AI, and Players due to terrain not displaying properly. No setting tweaks fixes this %100. The closest thing we can do is SEVERELY limit our view distance to the point where it is a handicap.

Seeing players, objects, or AI through mountains and hills takes away from the game, and is borderline infuriating when you are shooting at something that is really on the other side of the mountain, but you can't tell until you shoot and watch dirt exploding where their body is.

Terrain is crucial to a MilSim and just gameplay in general.

Can you tell us that you have addressed this!! The screenshots I provided are nowhere close to the worst examples of this problem that EVERY player deals with.

If you have better examples guys, post your pics!!!! (In my first picture...these AI were actually on the opposite side of the mountain...)

I see you're playing Exile. I play this mode too. Open your XM8 Tablet and go to Apps. You will see a Boniculars Icon. Click that and you will have access to view distance, Object view distance, and Terrain Quality. I recommend turning your Terrain Quality on High/Ultra. This will fix this issue. I personally do this only for when I am on foot, where as for aircraft and vehicles I keep it on low to save some FPS.

Yes the server has an the exile script that takes away the grass. But this still happens regardless. Happens on Wasteland modes or whatever else you have. We have all seen this.

Servers can enforce terrain settings if I'm not mistaken

Yes the server has an the exile script that takes away the grass. But this still happens regardless. Happens on Wasteland modes or whatever else you have. We have all seen this

Grass is tied to the terrain detail setting.  So to remove grass, you have to remove all the terrain detail as well.  BIS doesn't recommend or support this.  BIS didn't do this.  The stupid ass server admins did this.  Go bitch at them instead.

• Like 3

Grass isn't responsible for people floating 20 ft in air. The only "technical or server" aspect to is object distance vs view distance. Regardless, it happens on every server. I've played ARMA for years, it's always been an issue. It's not video settings or computer specs. I have a $3,000 desktop.

I'll take screenshots of the "grass" for you though, that only renders 100m from you anyway. I challenge you to be an adult with your next post.

Grass isn't responsible for people floating 20 ft in air. The only "technical or server" aspect to is object distance vs view distance. Regardless, it happens on every server. I've played ARMA for years, it's always been an issue. It's not video settings or computer specs. I have a $3,000 desktop.

If it has always been an issue, then you've always played on servers with low terrain detail.

Did you try darksidesixofficial's tip with Exile? I bet it solves the problem.

By the way, this is ultra terrain and objects at 2500m:

xOF9nv9.jpg

No-one is floating too badly. Most of the sinking is because of the grass. Good enough for me personally.

• Like 3