Sign in to follow this  
krazikilla

ArmA in VR: Oculus/Vive + Omni/Virtualizer + gun controller

Hey Guys,

my plan is to be able to play Arma3 and simliar games like dayZ eg. completely in VR, with the goggles with a treadmill to run and walk in + a gun controller to shoot, reload, open the map, trow grenades, drive and stuff.

So i need to get either:

HMD:

Oculus rift or HTC Vive

+ treadmill:

Virtuix Omni or Virtualizer

+ a gun controller like delta six or something.

Anyone has an idea how this all would be possible?

As far as i know if i get the treadmill, i dont really need roomscaling of the vive, the roomscaling is anyway pretty useless for Arma or simliar i think, you can just move on a small area, and the oculus rift is more comfortable and more lightweight.

Does the Rift also track you 360 degrees?

Anyone got experience with this things together?
Just the Oculus or Vive wouldnt make much sense, if you cannot really MOVE your hole body around and run and crouch and so on.

So i want to get EVERYTHING.

Do you have contacted this guy?

I indeed did, i will have a telehpone conference with this guy pretty soon.

But anyone here already has ideas how this all can work out or already tryed it out?   Would be the oculus or the vive be the better choice if you think about the hole setup?

BIF-member "Kremator" have a rift https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/187114-oculus-rift-arma-3/

I hope we find a modder/its possible to get tracked weapon aiming like in HL2: 

I just read this thread, thanks for posting.

But what is BIF? You ment BIS? I hope they develop the game a bit more VR friendly soonish :)

Can i acutally get any response from the devs on my topic please? I am really looking forward to finally do some sports while playing :P

I think it's a great idea that every kid has the treadmill with running ability and no cheat mode where it auto runs.  

That way there would be less un physically fit gamer's.  Also why not add an actual system that matches the weight of your

backpack in real life so we can see who want's realism after the stamina system is synced.  

Ahh man I crack myself up sometimes.    

• Like 1

Opentrack is currently not updated to use Rift v 1.3 drivers so no headtracking. But Vorpx is working as well as ever (whatever that means)

Opentrack is currently not updated to use Rift v 1.3 drivers so no headtracking. But Vorpx is working as well as ever (whatever that means)

How bout the vive?

How bout the vive?

No support there either, it hasn't been updated for a long while. So no headtracking.

Headtracking is key in full 360.  I can fool it 'kinda' by running Virtual Desktop in 360 mode, but there is a section directly behind you that doesn't exactly match up!

VR Tech isn't good enough yet. VR is expanding quite quickly, maybe in a few years things like this wouldn't be hard to get/make, but at the moment, we're still 'working on it'.

Anyone has an idea how this all would be possible?

Anyone got experience with this things together?

I only have TrackIR5 experience and use it as infantry. The thing one has to get used to is the fact one needs to move the mouse to the left while one moves one head to the right if one for example spotted something when turning ones head to the left... Stuff like that, which you do not get in a cockpit, is something that takes a bit of time getting used to before it becomes second nature.

Anyway, the full setup you talk about would probably be very limited and awkward in Arma unless it gets proper support for it. Its not a given its worth the investment. However VR with headtracking like freetracking or trackir and mouse and keyboard is fully doable while also staying competitive, I think.

So OR do not have head tracking? I thought it did. But then it should be easy to use TrackIr with it.

So OR do not have head tracking? I thought it did. But then it should be easy to use TrackIr with it.

The Oculus Rift and HTC Vive are using head tracking (even room scaling).

There are two IR-sensors (similar like TrackIR) which are scanning the HMD and controller position from two opposite directions.

Aha, so it is A3 which do not support the hw then?

Aha, so it is A3 which do not support the hw then?

For now there is no official support for VR in Arma 3.

But there are certainly some workarounds in the world wide web to play Arma 3 in VR (Virtual Desktop or VorpX).

Give it some time. Maybe the developers find their time and resources to extend the support for VR in Arma 3.

I'm hesitant to spend $40 on VorpX on the chance that Arma3 will work with it.  Until the devs are able to put a little time into either projecting side-by-side mode (or better full 360) then I'm afraid we are screwed.  DCS is just amazing in Rift, so it can be done (and done very well)

I'm hesitant to spend $40 on VorpX on the chance that Arma3 will work with it.  Until the devs are able to put a little time into either projecting side-by-side mode (or better full 360) then I'm afraid we are screwed.  DCS is just amazing in Rift, so it can be done (and done very well)

Most likely it's not for A3 but promising none the less....BIS please surprise us :)

Arma 3 and DayZ Studio Confirm VR Title In Active Development

http://uploadvr.com/arma-3-and-dayz-studio-confirms-vr-title-in-active-development/

/KC

Most likely it's not for A3

Confirmed:

Hello, to correct mr. @slatts - we are indeed working on an unspecified VR game, but it's not the role of our Amsterdam studio and it will not have anything in common with our military-themed games.

+1 OP

I have a VIVE and am waiting for the OMNI. I have been dreaming from the first day of the omni kickstarter to be able to run on Lemnos island through the A3.

• Like 1