I actually finished OFP recently (didn't touch Resistance yet). While the writing was indeed pretty good, the mission design... not always. Most of them were good and there certainly were a few great missions, but a few of them were bad, as well. Granted, this was exacerbated by clunky controls and clunkier AI, not to mention an occasional bug, but Guardian, for example, had some real design issues. The convoy getting bushwacked all the time in a friendly territory? Fine. The convoy stopping dead because of a single Russian with an AK (him consistently being able to shoot the driver out)? Frustrating. A friggin' tank coming in to demolish the whole convoy before you can even react? Oh, come on.

Another example, in Pathfinder your squad had a tendency (pretty consistent, I might add) of getting overwhelmed and killed through no fault of your own, leaving you to rambo your way through a village full of soldiers (because retreating is not an option...), some of which have annoyingly effective grenade launchers. At least in Montignac if AI bungled it you could still retreat and progress to another mission. I really liked the stealth missions and helicopter ones, though. Tank driving would've been more fun if the AI was smarter, but the missions were fun nonetheless.

I believe it would've been more enjoyable with ArmA3 AI and mechanics. The convoys are more or less fixed on the devbranch (though I have to test the latest changes yet) and the gameplay has gone a long way since OFP.

Most of everything you've said tells me you really don't understand the charm  that made OFP great in the eyes of all those who played it from day one.

For 2001 this game was mind blowing in scale of it's terrains and weaponry. The ability to pilot helicopters, drive tanks, jeeps, APC's or run around on foot over km's of terrain was amazing.

The fact it wasn't on rails and gave you so many options to tackle a mission was a major attraction to it. Your squad may very well have been obliterated... But you play the mission again and the squad may survive. You adapted to whatever happens and went rambo if necessary or you restarted the mission and tried again.

It was a time when games didn't have a save checkpoint every two minutes, you couldn't just hide behind a wall and regenerate your health and you weren't expected to finish it first go. It's what made games an actual challenge.

• Like 9

Most of everything you've said tells me you really don't understand the charm  that made OFP great in the eyes of all those who played it from day one.

This x 1000

Today's script kiddies just don't get it.

• Like 2

I saw few guys here had problem with only 1 save on mission in OFP, there was quick fix for that.

You play the mission and make save, then you alt tab your game, cut savegame folder somewhere and you can create next save. ;)

I think there was also "cheat" savegame, you presed Left Shift and Kaypad Minus and write savegame.

Whit that you could save unlimited times but overwriting old save slot so better making that when you are absolutly sure that you are save and nothing bad will happend in 2sec ;)

• Like 1

I saw few guys here had problem with only 1 save on mission in OFP, there was quick fix for that.

You play the mission and make save, then you alt tab your game, cut savegame folder somewhere and you can create next save. ;)

Yeah i remember on that. I did it some times. Some hundred times. :rolleyes:

Or perhaps that I don't have nostalgia googles on? Really, luck-based missions, clunky controls with poor customization (can't invert collective for helicopters, can't turn the aiming deadzone down...) and occasional mission-breaking bugs aren't a sign of good design. Sometimes (quite often, in fact) I had to restart missions just because my M113 decided to randomly flip over while driving over terrain it should be able to negotiate. I'd say, Ghost Recon was better as far as infantry experience goes, and it came out only a few months later. Of course, OFP had large terrains and usable vehicles, so there's that, but that doesn't mean it aged particularly well. This doesn't change the fact the writing is very good, of course, but as far as simulation goes, ArmA1 blows OFP out of the water.

In general, I like having difficulty, but not caused by controls, stupid AI or physics. I couldn't help but notice that in OFP, a lot of difficulty did amount to just that. Guardian would be much easier and more enjoyable if your gunner (in the open M113 turret, not a tank!) could spot an infantryman lying prone 10m in front of the vehicle (and/or you were able to reliably report that you spotted him), your driver didn't try to go everywhere except where you told him to and iron sights on MGs were actually usable. Sure, we didn't have anything better back then, but we do now.

Sometimes (quite often, in fact) I had to restart missions just because my M113 decided to randomly flip over while driving over terrain it should be able to negotiate

I've never had that happen once, in all the time I've played it. It has plenty of flaws. There's no doubt about that. The subsequent titles have plenty of their own though.

Or perhaps that I don't have nostalgia googles on? Really, luck-based missions, clunky controls with poor customization (can't invert collective for helicopters, can't turn the aiming deadzone down...) and occasional mission-breaking bugs aren't a sign of good design. Sometimes (quite often, in fact) I had to restart missions just because my M113 decided to randomly flip over while driving over terrain it should be able to negotiate. I'd say, Ghost Recon was better as far as infantry experience goes, and it came out only a few months later. Of course, OFP had large terrains and usable vehicles, so there's that, but that doesn't mean it aged particularly well. This doesn't change the fact the writing is very good, of course, but as far as simulation goes, ArmA1 blows OFP out of the water.

In general, I like having difficulty, but not caused by controls, stupid AI or physics. I couldn't help but notice that in OFP, a lot of difficulty did amount to just that. Guardian would be much easier and more enjoyable if your gunner (in the open M113 turret, not a tank!) could spot an infantryman lying prone 10m in front of the vehicle (and/or you were able to reliably report that you spotted him), your driver didn't try to go everywhere except where you told him to and iron sights on MGs were actually usable. Sure, we didn't have anything better back then, but we do now.

I think you are still missing the point, alot of the members of this forum found OFP at the time to be way ahead of other games. Please note OFP was released in 2001 so can't compare it to a game released in 2016 as they are two different breeds. So of course there will be flaws and faults but for the game of its time, it was ground breaking as all games upto that point were games on rails.

Of course Arma1 would blow OFP out of the water it was the next game in the series of BIS. I for one picked up OFP as a demo back in 2000 on a PC Gamer CD and haven't look back since. I own every BIS game since, but OFP still gives me good memories.

Anyway before this thread further delves into the Off Topic territory and lets talk about the mod that is developed and not what was or could have been.

• Like 2

Anyway before this thread further delves into the Off Topic territory and lets talk about the mod that is developed 

Indeed. 

1d24e40e85484ff1b54b15a16eaba91c.jpg

• Like 13

Indeed. 

[pic]

Lemme guess... Gastowski kickin' ass in La Trinite in broad daylight?

• Like 1

Lemme guess... Gastowski kickin' ass in La Trinite in broad daylight?

15 years later and nothing has changed. 

• Like 2

"Steal the Car". Cause' why not ay?

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

...I trust you've kept the ability to run over the commander during the cutscene and snatch failure from the jaws of competence?

If not, get back into the editor, please. :D

Srsly though, thanks for your hard work.

• Like 2

...I trust you've kept the ability to run over the commander during the cutscene and snatch failure from the jaws of competence?

If not, get back into the editor, please. :D

Srsly though, thanks for your hard work.

Well i'll put it this way, I did nothing to prevent that from occurring :P

But no worries mate, hope you're enjoying them.

• Like 3

There we go, "Clean Sweep"

Please delete that double post too... :)

HOPEFULLY the damn thing should work properly now. Sorry for the stuff up.

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

• Like 4

Doing great work on those missions, il wait until you make full campaign, keep up :)

So, soon we'll have the full SP mission collection to go with '85 CUP future release?  :lol:

• Like 3