Hey guys. Today I'm happy to announce to development of Conflict '85. A re-imagining and recreation of Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis. 

Conflict '85 was born out the CUP project as I created Russian and FIA units in the style of OFP units. From there the ideas grew and grew. 

Re-imaging:

There's a lot of military hardware from 1985 that would fit sweetly into the OFP timeline. I aim to bring a unique yet fitting armory of vehicles and weapons into the fold. We'll get into a few examples later. 

Recreation

OFP is a game adored by those who played here, those who yearn for that era one more time. There were vehicles and weapons in OFP that perhaps shouldn't have been used. (I'm looking at you OT-65) yet why the hell not have them back in A3. While a lot of vehicles don't exist right now. Hopefully as time goes on, it may be possible to bring back those missing vehicles. 

Screenies. 

M1 Abrams 

m1_merdc.jpg

m1_mud.jpg

FIA captured T-72. Painted with the classic green stripe indicator. 

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/505902374494994338/08E6AE6C33FA9B14DC8FA08F533ABA7CC4BCCC06/

RU T-72

107410_20170314211827_1.jpg

M151 Jeep 

mutt.jpg

M113A1 and M577. 

The ever reliable M113 and it's cousin, the M577 command post.ambulance. Return in MERDC camo. Giving them a new look. 

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/505902374502543185/82F5BE3A43D2020A48805BE6E574A7E1D1A1D034/

FIA encampment

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/509280040511509501/8F966F03C798E84F36357DD87F90FE36BD40AD72/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/509280040511509723/F5BAC5DCB3816B5F931D10EA410273DEE0E5846C/

US Army UH-60A armed with M2 MG

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/501399955305426393/489CE502859FF3832A20C40CDE7C080A0B1B362E/

RU Ot-65 FUG 

groot.jpg

CUP will be at the heart of this mod. A standalone is out of the question before you ask :)

I'm a man of few words who can't think of much more to say but if you have any questions or suggestions. Fire away and I'll do my best to answer as soon as I can :)

• Like 34
  • Thanks 3

Great idea :). If you need any Nogovan emblems etc let me know :)

• Like 1

Always thought this should be just part of CUP itself, since OFP is where it all began.  ;)

Are there plans for Olive/desert tan M113s and the likes, or just MERDC?

• Like 1

Always thought this should be just part of CUP itself, since OFP is where it all began.  ;)

Are there plans for Olive/desert tan M113s and the likes, or just MERDC?

The main idea is that it is made using CUP addons, and will feed back into CUP where applicable. It's very much a part of the CUP. Yet IMO it needs a separate "space" to work from. I don't want to clog the main branch with bug reports and suggestions when it can be avoided. 

As for olive, possibly yes. For desert, never say never but desert variations are not being looked at right now :) 

• Like 1

Hi slatts,

I myself have been trying to make an OFP-styled "mod" for a single-player mission pack by retexturing some CUP units and vehicles. From the pictures you posted I see, "unfortunately", that your mod will be much better than mine. :D

However, I have done quite a bit of research on US Army and Soviet cold war-era units and gear. Actually, there is not much new content needed to expand CUP to cover a 1985-ish setting. In essence, the Soviet equipment is basically already there or can be retextured (except for the KLMK camo suits, I tried to make them from retextured NAPA uniforms).

The real problem is American equipment. M151 MUTT is still missing from ArmA 3. There are some versions of the AH-1 Cobra, 5-Ton-Truck and M72 LAW in other mods but not in CUP. I see you have already done the M113A1 and M1 Abrams. DeltaHawk's 1980s US Army uniforms are there, but that's of course a different mod. The UH-60A Black Hawk would probably have to be modified from the UH-60L in CUP. Toadie has done the M21 and an older M60, but obviously they would have to be included in CUP/your mod somehow..

Anyways, I will probably halt the development on my own modification, and wait for this one instead, as it's definitely looking much more promising. ;) If I can help with your mod in any way, please let me know.

This is definitely a step in the right direction! I love Cold war era stuff, Also, I see you already have something I've been striving for since the start of A3: a full "soviet vomit green" T-55! Can't wait to get my hand on it

• Like 1

Are you just workin on weapons/units/vehicles or even on islands and missions?

I can give you PVS5 ( those were on OFP ) and PNW57 nvgs if you want. Just let me know.

• Like 2

Are we likely to see those wonderful desert AAV's and LAV's you did on ARMA 2?

Those were awesome.

Are we likely to see those wonderful desert AAV's and LAV's you did on ARMA 2?

Those were awesome.

Actually forgot about those lol I might add them to the CUP main branch. 

• Like 1

Will there be m60 patton it's my favorite tank from that era

Hopefully at some point in the future. :) 

• Like 3

Awesome idea, I always wanted some soviet era enemies!

For all people that love cold war era warfare I suggest to read "Red Storm Rising", a book made by Tom Clancy a lot of years ago ;)

• Like 3

Awesome idea, I always wanted some soviet era enemies!

Likewise appreciate some nice OD and WDL targets in my PSO  :P

Is it only based of OFP? Or do you plan to expand it, I mean add PACT armies and some of NATO? Could be intresting to see units for example from Falklands War and other conflicts. (would be amazing to have armies from Wargame RD)

Really? I thought with no doubt, that CUP would integrate the OFP scenario, not that it would be a sepperate addon. I´m so dissapointed.  :(

Really? I thought with no doubt, that CUP would integrate the OFP scenario, not that it would be a sepperate addon. I´m so dissapointed.  :(

I think you maybe confused, this expansion will still require CUP so whats the issue it been a separate addon?

There's a few reason why I didn't directly integrate with CUP YET having said that, It will still require CUP and act no different.  

Sounds good, i'd (almost) kill for the DDR/GDR

I aim to build a blank template soldier model with HiddenSelection in mind. Allowing anyone to retexture units of their chioce. 

Is it only based of OFP? Or do you plan to expand it, I mean add PACT armies and some of NATO? Could be intresting to see units for example from Falklands War and other conflicts. (would be amazing to have armies from Wargame RD)

For now it is based on OFP. If I do plan on expanding it, it will be another while yet. However see the reply for above as with regards to different armies. 

If you do want to include DDR guys, I have an M1956 mesh sitting around that I'll get to... eventually...

• Like 1

In my opinion it is just not necessary to make a different addon. It may still require CUP, but you have to download it seperately. I think anyone who uses CUP would be glad to see OFP stuff in it.

Of course you have your reasons for not including it and i will accept that, but it bothers me as an admin to include yet another addon instead of just updating the existing ones.(complaining done, back to topic)

In my opinion it is just not necessary to make a different addon. It may still require CUP, but you have to download it seperately. I think anyone who uses CUP would be glad to see OFP stuff in it.

Of course you have your reasons for not including it and i will accept that, but it bothers me as an admin to include yet another addon instead of just updating the existing ones.(complaining done, back to topic)

Tbh I wouldn't mind seeing more 'separate' projects that depend on CUP. The downside of integrating everything into CUP is the update-delay. Since CUP is so big, one does not simply release (hotfix) updates that quickly. 

Say you're a quick modder, you integrate your current progress into CUP, new version of CUP gets released and after two weeks or so you already have a bunch of new content ready to integrate, people would now have to wait for the next update of CUP..which can take another set of weeks.

Then there's the issue ofcourse of overexpansion. CUP becoming so big and saturated that some people no longer use/add it because they deem a large portion of the content unnecessary/trivial. Having separate projects would result in more modularity that avoids situations like that.

Now these would be my motives to start a separate project depending on CUP rather than integrating into CUP. I don't know what Slatts' motives are. :)

Kind regards,

Sanchez

Pretty much what Sanchez said, is what is most of my reasoning boils down too. 

I don't see the difference for you (as an admin) in telling your community to download a future version of CUP which includes this and 10 new PBO's or downloading 10 new PBO's and then this. You'll end up with the same PBO's regardless. 

In content news, I've done a few textures of Soviet vehicles. While not exactly realistic. They'll carry the Red Star as they did in OFP.  Pictures soon :) 

• Like 4

One more before I go to bed :) 

489CE502859FF3832A20C40CDE7C080A0B1B362E

• Like 7