And about their behaviuor... in A2 the ambient animal behaviour worked very badly. Animals' AI use 85% of CPU and immediate FPS drop. Probably BIS cannot solve this problem in A3 neither, so this why there is no animal AI here. They just stand.

Well, as I wrote in CUP thread, the vanilla A3 Ambient_Site modules for poultry, sheep, and goats work very well, and the animals move around quite realistically.  Just no cows :( ;) .

I understand you. Yesterday, I have to rewrite the story in one of my ported mission, because of non existen cows. :( I replace it with a goat... But only one goat exists in A3, and the player objective was to find the informant in the village, because he is the only one, who have black and white cow, the others have brown or black. Now, he is the only one who have goat, the others have sheep. But it's not so perfect. It's too easy to find a goat. Oh because the mission is a night mission, and at night every cow is black, so player had to go close to every cow to identify its color.

• Like 1

I placed a single A3 cock, and he looks good and struts around realistically.  :-) 

That sounds like a nice plot for your mission.  Hopefully BI or CUP will add cows at some point!!!

This thread is awesome, if you need help with classnames let us know.

p.s. what's this odd fetish with cows? :ph34r:

• Like 1

This thread is great. Now that CUP is in a pretty far stage, I'm looking forward to convert some old A2 missions.
However, bardosy, could you further elaborate how to run your python script in Notepad so that it replaces the lines in the mission.sqm?

I tried to run it via Notepad++ > loaded the "A2toCUP.py" > F5 (Run) > C:\Python27\python.exe $(FULL_CURRENT_PATH) > Save
and executed the saved action on the mission.sqm but it had no effect.

This is my first attempt at doing such in N++ and tbh the instructions to running python on Notepad++ that one can find on the Internet are as numerous as they are confusing.

This thread is great. Now that CUP is in a pretty far stage, I'm looking forward to convert some old A2 missions.

However, bardosy, could you further elaborate how to run your python script in Notepad so that it replaces the lines in the mission.sqm?

I tried to run it via Notepad++ > loaded the "A2toCUP.py" > F5 (Run) > C:\Python27\python.exe $(FULL_CURRENT_PATH) > Save

and executed the saved action on the mission.sqm but it had no effect.

This is my first attempt at doing such in N++ and tbh the instructions to running python on Notepad++ that one can find on the Internet are as numerous as they are confusing.

Did you install the Python Script plugin first? I read your comment in CUP topic, so I edited that post in this topic where I write about Python. I write down how to install Python Script plugin.

So you dont have "open" into N++ as a text, but run Plugins/Python Script/New script... Add the command lines show above and save it. I don't know where N++ save it, but since I save this few lines, I can access it via Plugins/Python Script menu...

:) This was actually the first way I tried it, and yes, first of all I installed the Python plugin. But since it seemed "too simple" and also did absolutely nothing, I thought it couldn't possibly be the solution. The script in the python plugion menu is there, but when I edit the mission.sqm with N++ and try to run the .py from the menu, nothing at all happens. I guess I have to try again. But thanks for the clarification.

the player objective was to find the informant in the village, because he is the only one, who have black and white cow, the others have brown or black

Hey Bardosy, if you need a different colored goat or sheep, you can use a custom texture:

GOAT SetObjectTextureGlobal [0,"tiger.jpg"];

I can personally recommend this tiger striped goat found in Mabunga Swamp:

goat_tiger.jpg

• Like 3

:) This was actually the first way I tried it, and yes, first of all I installed the Python plugin. But since it seemed "too simple" and also did absolutely nothing, I thought it couldn't possibly be the solution. The script in the python plugion menu is there, but when I edit the mission.sqm with N++ and try to run the .py from the menu, nothing at all happens. I guess I have to try again. But thanks for the clarification.

OK. When the script is saved by the Python Script plugin (not the N++) you can see this new script name in the Python Script plugin menu, in Scripts submenu: click on it (it will run the script, not the N++ own Run (F5) menu. I know it's confusing - it was the same to me too - but when it will work first, then easy.

Here is the plugin own usage documentation.

P.S.: Oh, I remember! I hope they fix that bug since I started porting, but if not, you will get some very nothing-to-tell error message (like "Unhandlet exception" or something similar) when you click on the script to run. I hope it will not happen, because they fix. But if you will get that message, then google it and I found a forum, where people got the same and they write down the solution: download a zip and unpack it to a specific folder (they will describe everything) and it started to work for me (this is why I dont upgrade automatically Python Script by N++'s plugin manager). But please, if you get this step, post here the link of the solution, because I forgot the error message, so I cant find that forum now.

I'd recommend to look into regular expressions.

Allows you to replace complex code structures and to have reliable replacement.

Ive used powerGREP (has extensive free trial with full features too).

Should still have my old mapping on some HDD (OFP/A1/A2 classes + SQF cmds/constructs).

So if anyone of you guys is interested, will look for them.

has anyone got one of these scripts for rhs instead of cup?