[2:25AM] Making improvements to vaporization in regards to performance and effect.

P.S. I wish the forums had a night theme  :436: 

[3:03AM] Ran into an issue with my gibbing algorithm. Gonna call it a night and solve this problem in a dream or something.

• Like 8

Hey zooloo, first off, love the mod. I've been waiting for something like this to come out since A3 was in Alpha. It's just become more insanely awesome since the first release.

I was going to suggest (if possible; no scripting knowledge whatsoever) to improve the vaporization system, how about adding something similar to Payne Effects 3 - mod for max payne 2 (http://www.moddb.com/mods/payne-effects-3) where if an ammo type that is capable of vaporizing occurs close to the entity and exceeds a minimum threshold, but does not surpass a maximum, then have a model replace the entity that has a few limbs missing to simulate dismemberment. Something similar to SLX, I know, but there can be something better than those pieces of charcoal laying about. It was a thought I had while eating breakfast this morning, so probably not the most logical.

Thanks again for the fantastic mod!

Good news! Fixed the search algorithm issue I was having last night. Explosions have a much smaller impact on performance now! Also grenades can cause vaporization now (they could before, but now, due to the usage of the Explosion event handler, I can get an accurate explosion damage value and apply vaporization -- it also stops blood splatters from emitting when an explosion is behind a wall or some cover that should've blocked a majority of the damage).

What I've noticed from this is that a unit laying on a grenade would likely be vaporized, but spare his nearby teammates from the effect -- very cool!

• Like 4

Oh hell yeah!!

Keep it coming Zoo -gotta send you a case of beer

Edit: Beer sent

• Like 1

Oh hell yeah!!

Keep it coming Zoo -gotta send you a case of beer

Edit: Beer sent

Thanks a ton Froggy, really appreciate it! :)

Currently working with BadBenson on improving the vaporization effect. He's written up some nice blood mist code.

• Like 2

A lot of the exit wound sprays don't seem to be appearing on jbad building walls. I noticed this just now on Diyala, using the autobody building. I'll keep testing with other pack buildings.

Edit: tried it with the autobody, grocery store, and (mud?) walls outside small isolated houses on Diyala.

Is this a BL bug or a jbad bug? Or a Diyala bug?

What is life?

A lot of the exit wound sprays don't seem to be appearing on jbad building walls. I noticed this just now on Diyala, using the autobody building. I'll keep testing with other pack buildings.

Edit: tried it with the autobody, grocery store, and (mud?) walls outside small isolated houses on Diyala.

Is this a BL bug or a jbad bug? Or a Diyala bug?

What is life?

The collision (GEOM?, FIRE?) LODs are likely within or smaller than the resolution LOD, meaning that the splatters may be inside the walls. This is an issue with the models. If it's possible to do a line intersection with the resolution LOD, it'd be more accurate.

The collision (GEOM?, FIRE?) LODs are likely within or smaller than the resolution LOD, meaning that the splatters may be inside the walls. This is an issue with the models. If it's possible to do a line intersection with the resolution LOD, it'd be more accurate.

I just tried it with an M4 instead of a shotgun, (RHS) and noticed that all the sprays returned and looked well, so it seems related to the shotty only.

Why does it say multiplayer isn't supported, this mod works fine in multiplayer :D(against ai i haven't tested pvp) i've also tested it out in the dev branch and it looks great, the blood looks darker but still matches the color of the map/game and even sometimes the uniform(nothing super bright against a dark uniform or vice versa) either way great job and amazing compatibility work

I just tried it with an M4 instead of a shotgun, (RHS) and noticed that all the sprays returned and looked well, so it seems related to the shotty only.

Shotguns do some black magic for the spread effect of the buckshot ammo. Test it out with slug ammo and it should work just fine.

Off-topic note, really loving the Atom text editor, I've been using it throughout the entire development of BloodLust -- I'd recommend trying it out: https://atom.io/.

http://i.imgur.com/52vnYGW.jpg

Rewrote the blood splatter system.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=689058827

Funny enough, the blood splatter spawning code has been mostly untouched since initial development until now. Blood splatters from vaporization now benefit from it -- as you can see in the screenshot (yes that's blood on the ceiling).

• Like 1

Why does it say multiplayer isn't supported, this mod works fine in multiplayer :D(against ai i haven't tested pvp)

I've tested it during coop and pvp lan sessions hosted on my computer, and it worked just for me. Nobody else was able to see blood splatters. (version 2.05)

I've tested it during coop and pvp lan sessions hosted on my computer, and it worked just for me. Nobody else was able to see blood splatters. (version 2.05)

same here

Just a thought, if you wanted to make this work on MP so that it only worked for the person with the mod loaded maybe you can try giving the blood splats a spawn system that spawns them like the rabbits and snakes (where one person can see them but the other cant). the only downside is vaporization would have to not work due to it would need to make the body vanish on only the users screen, not the other players

Rewrote the blood splatter system.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=689058827

Funny enough, the blood splatter spawning code has been mostly untouched since initial development until now. Blood splatters from vaporization now benefit from it -- as you can see in the screenshot (yes that's blood on the ceiling).

Hey Zooloo, what weapon did you use to create such carnage? Were there others in the room than the poor bloke in the corner :)

-OP

Hey Zooloo, what weapon did you use to create such carnage? Were there others in the room than the poor bloke in the corner :)

-OP

I tossed a high explosive grenade at some dude. I think it completely annihilated 2 people.

I lowered the vaporization damage threshold for demonstration purposes :)

• Like 1

Man you're really on fire lately! Smearing  looks great, though might I suggest that you use much more translucent smear textures?    

• Like 1

So if you released a test mission for this feature would it be called "A smear campaign"?....sorry. Keep up the good work.

Would the quantity of the smearing reduce overtime?

• Like 1

So if you released a test mission for this feature would it be called "A smear campaign"?....sorry. Keep up the good work.

Would the quantity of the smearing reduce overtime?

lol.

In this experiment I had the smear spawn at a constant rate. Smearing will be integrated within the bleeding effect, so if a unit is rubbing a wounded body part against a surface, such as a wall, it will instead smear blood against the surface instead of dripping blood on to the ground. Bleeding rate on smears will vary.

• Like 1

Decided not to keep this feature, but instead repurpose it for smearing when a unit is prone and bleeding. Looks much more natural than blood drops emitting when a unit is crawling away from the carnage.

Tnsq0yd.jpg?1

• Like 4

[2:39AM] Gonna call it a night. I've been coding like a mad man today!

Here's the current changelog for v2.2 (WIP):

• Improved performance on explosive handling -- now handled by dedicated Explosion event handler (also resulting in better damage accuracy).
  • Enhanced vaporization gib selection algorithm.
  • Added hand and arm gibs.
  • Made blood slightly transparent.
  • Added blood mist to vaporization effect (courtesy of BadBenson).
  • Added heat wave effect to vaporized objects.
  • Replaced the two ugly oval blood splatters with more natural shapes.
  • Overhauled blood splatter system (complete rewrite).
  • Blood splatters from vaporization now utilize new blood splatter system, resulting in blood on walls, and ceilings.
  • Improved blood splatter monitoring (removes blood splatters that are at invalid positions).
  • Units that are prone while bleeding, will smear blood instead of emitting blood drops.
  • Added speed threshold for blood to emit from gibs, preventing bleed spam.
  • Increased variety of vaporization blood splatter textures.
  • Vaporization is now enabled on the player by default.
  • Fixed timing issues with splatter spawning.
  • Increased default bleed duration.
  • Explosion force now determines vaporized gib speed.

[Click image for full size]

oFRC5cO.jpg?1

• Like 2