endstar

Action Menu Streamlining

Overview !

The R&D department is always hard at work on several super sekrit projects. One of my personal favourites is our push to set fire to the action menu improve the interaction and overall UX of Arma 3, and in doing so we've already unlocked hard-coded keys, added new Infantry and Vehicle Weapon Switching technology and quite recently offered more access to controlling the Command Menu.

One thing we've noticed a lot is that the Action Menu can sometimes get a little... cluttered, which can lead to the accidental triggering of certain actions and people getting violently murdered a little frustrated.

Improvements !

In order to help remedy the situation, we've added new technology which allows Action Menu items to be hidden based on whether specific controls have been bound to a key! We've currently configured this to work with our new weapon switching controls, which is pretty awesome, because it now hides the redundant weapon actions from the menu (so hopefully you won't switch to your pistol when trying to open a door anymore  :banghead:).

To test this out, go into your options and bind these controls to some keys:

• Switch to Primary Weapon
  • Switch to Handgun
  • Switch to Secondary Weapon

Alternatively, just use the new Apex Controls Preset and watch how those pesky actions will no longer haunt your your screen.  :lol:

7edyxH6.gif

Feedback !

We plan on improving this further to reduce more actions, so feel free to leave feedback on this shiny new tech, and perhaps also how you would like to see it evolve in the future.

Cheers  :)

• Like 17

Let me quote myself from the general discussion https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/143930-general-discussion-dev-branch/?p=3009046

Couple keys that you need to add in the game so we can get rid off some things in the action menu. Some things people likely want to keep in the action menu and some don't so options fr these would be nice:

- Re-arm (I actually never even use this)

- Collision lights

- Touch off bombs(s)

- Take controls

- Artillery computer

- Open UAV terminal

But will there be some option that we could see an action in the action menu even if it has assigned key for it? Some of the things could be good to have both maybe especially for new players or if you're now first time assigning some keys and you forgot where you had assigned them.

Also we need explosives to be same like the weapons or grenades.

They should either appear in the weapon info just like grenades except in a different category. Press key and you plant explosive you have chosen.

Or hey should work like weapons so you switch to them and you've it in your hands. Press fire and you place the explosive on the ground.

Also I hope that some day you improve the detection better. You know the problem with two close doors or door and a ladder problem, when you're watching a door you actually climb a ladder or open the door that you're. That's one big problem. You know

and
(
) actually solved that problem and improved the get in vehicle so you look where in the vehicle you want to get and not just scroll through the menu. Good videos to remind you what needs to be done.

Hi there,

this is fantastic news. Now with improved targeting tech, visual update and better controls / UX, you are working on nearly every aspect of arma, on that it is (was) still lacking behind a bit. Great work so far!

As for the perfect solution to the action menu, i want to point to the discussion in the feedback tracker, that i did in alpha. Tracker is down obviously, but i guess, you have a backup internally. Alternatively you probably have seen dslyxcis video about the topic. I think, what most user could agree on was, that you should bind as many actions as possible to keys to make the menu less cluttered and than finally somehow divide between dynamic, context interaction (open door, climb ladder) (sth. like an "action"-key) and on the other hand generic, abstract actions, that are not targeted towards an object in the game world except the player itself.

Short: More key-bindings -> less clutter, action key for context sensitive actions only (improve context sensitivity if possible), keep some sort of menu for all the other generic actions and "self-actions".

(action key could still be cyclable if there were more sensitive options available)

That would be the perfect solution in my mind.

*edit*

As an alternative for hard splitting sensitive and generic action, i could imagine that you have context sensitive actions always on top position of the menu and for every action that is NOT context sensitiv you would have to scroll, even when there is no context sensitiv action available. So the action menu would open in a blank or neutral position and for any generic action you would have to scroll. If you have context sensitiv action available however, you would not need to scroll.

You could go on in a way, that when there are multiple context actions available you would scroll through them in one direction, while scrolling in the other directions would get you the non context-sensitive actions.

I still would prefer hard splitting of context-sensitive and "generic" actions.

*edit* :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: I love you guys! And btw: That tanoa tease looks tempting :P

Here is sakura chan Keys footage

• Like 3

Just tried it and it's great. I like that you can still use the command menu regardless by hitting ² first so it really doesn't interfere with old habits.

I still do occasionally eject from vehicles while trying to check the inventory a bit too hastily, I see it happens to other people quite regularly. I hope "EJECT" is on the list too. :)

Just tried it and it's great. I like that you can still use the command menu regardless by hitting ² first so it really doesn't interfere with old habits.

I still do occasionally eject from vehicles while trying to check the inventory a bit too hastily, I see it happens to other people quite regularly. I hope "EJECT" is on the list too. :)

Eject is easy on keybinds: V is for jumping out while double pressing V is ejecting.Wouldn't mind seeing eject disappear.

Haha bad habit. You can access the inventory just with your Inventory key ;)

Yes eject and get out should be in the list too. I use the same keys as en3x.

That introduction post made me rofl (literally) Great to see some much enthusiasm.

Basically, apply the current tech to all the bindable(is that even a word?) actions:

• Engine on/off,
  • Gear up/down,
  • Lights on/off
  • Eject,
  • Get Out,
  • Inventory (When approaching vehicles)

Last but not least, there are some actions which don't have specified keys but I'd personally like to have an option to hide those.

• Change to XXX magazine/grenade Screenshot
  • Rearm  (You can accidentally delete that one completely, I won't certainly mind)

When I first heard of the implementation, I thought we'd get a new control menu category where one could uncheck boxes of unwanted actions. For  actions which can't be assigned to a key that would probably work well.

that's a great way of improving things. i was using the action menu to test the new weapon switching out of habit which made it suuuper clunky. this will help me adapt to the nice new stuff. i got a very different key setup anyways so this will fit right in.

i hate to always request things but here's the big question i've been asking myself since i heard there will be some kind of work done on the action menu.

how about vehicle seats?! and how about doors?

vehicles are a bigger topic but doors are something you interact with quite frequently too. any plans there? i did some simple stuff in my climbing mod for my own use and i feel like i had a stroke when i, for some reason, forgot to load the mod and am forced to use default stuff (talkin about doors and vehicle seats specifically here).

so it's kind of improved but i'd still love the vanilla stuff to be improved so stuff like that isn't needed anymore. a dedicated seat menu/ui would be fantastic. i feel like with all these ages old issues being tackled recently, this could be one with huuuge impact since vehicles are an integral part of the game, so the super clunky interaction with them is really far from a side issue.

i'm just curious. would be fine to just get a "this is all that's planned" or "there might be more". i get that "promises" are a trauma of you guys....probably for good reason :lol:

• Like 2

I have a few ideas on the topic. Some of them were discussed a lot here.

I think interaction menu is a very important part of the game. And we really need some changes.

What I wish was done.

Let's say you press 5 and you bring up a hand model, that holds a grenade. You press 5 again, you switch between all types of grenades from your inventory. You press LMB you throw it. Something like that was done in-house on shacktac and they donated it to ace.

Let's say you press 6, you bring up a satchel charge. You press LMB you place it down. You press 6 again, you switch between charges or detonator. You bring up detonator you blow up the charges. This solves a few things - both interaction menus for placing a satchel and for detonation.

More visual interaction with vehicles. Like it was done in AMB mod. You look at the position you wanna jump in, you jump right into it. This gonna be extremely helpful now cause after introducing FFV (which is amazing) we have all kinds of interaction menus like sit on the right front, sit on the right back which is crazy.

Same with doors or any other handles.

Same with inventories. All those open backpack, open box, open vehicle inventory can be moved to a visual one button interaction.

Interactions like reloading can be removed from the interaction menu at all, without any regret. Everyone knows that R is reloading.

Interactions like change mags can be disabled too, all you need is to visit your inventory and drag the new tracer mag to the mag place on the weapon.

All those actions that can be bound to a key can be hidden from the interaction menu.

Thank you Bohemia and keep up the good work.

• Like 4

Change to XXX magazine/grenade Screenshot

Changing show to 0 in the LoadOtherMagazine sub-class for CfgActions will hide those.

And thanks to the one of the previous patches we now can load grenades into the grenade launcher from the inventory.

Last but not least, there are some actions which don't have specified keys but I'd personally like to have an option to hide those.

I suggest that pressing the number key for the weaon again cycles through ammo available, though the reload-counter turns red, because this type is not laoded. Then you just press R to load current type or continue cycle through ammo with number key. The round that is loaded of course stays loaded until you load another type or fire.

• Like 2

I suggest that pressing the number key for the weaon again cycles through ammo available, though the reload-counter turns red, because this type is not laoded. Then you just press R to load current type or continue cycle through ammo with number key. The round that is loaded of course stays loaded until you load another type or fire.

Yes I was thinking about the same just earlier. Magazines, missiles, gl grenades all should work the same.

Also, please separate grenade launcher attached to the weapon from the weapon itself.

Make it so we can bound GL to 3 and primary to 2. So we can switch fire-modes on the primary by pressing 2 and switch to GL at any point by pressing 3.

It's done like that in ACE, for example.

• Like 1

I also think you guys should explore using a menu like ACE uses.

• Like 2

Please implement an engine array of all user-created actions, and a command to return this array (preferably all the args of each action, so an array of arrays).

allUserActions

Also do engine-created actions evaluate in the same manner as user-created actions? That is, a per-frame condition evaluation?

Street Fighter Melee Apex confirmed!

Hand to hand combat confirmed! 

Dear developers, finally a next step in the right direction to get rid off that annoying action menu.

Let's take it a few steps further (just a suggestion):

1 - primary weapon / cycle through fire modes
2 - handgun
3 - secondary weapon / cycle through fire modes (e.g. direct or top down attack for jawelin --- not yet available)
4 - cycle through throwables/grenades
5 - cycle through mines/explosives/detonator (only now you are able to blow things up)
6 - medical items (only now you are able to heal others and/or yourself)
7 - tool kit (only now you are able to repair stuff & disarm bombs)
8 - UAV terminal

Especially for the last four functions (5-8) it would be great if the player has to hold these things in his hands (5. c4/mine/satchel, 6. bandages/medipack, 7. leatherman/wrench, 8. notebook/terminal) before using them.

Everyone knows that situation:

You are wounded and you are trying to look for cover. You see a house and you are sprinting to the door. You are missing the "open door" action and accidently start to patch up yourself infront of the door (you are stuck in the healing animation) and the enemy has an easy job to kill you.

Or same situation but this time you are not wounded. You are missing the "open door" action and accidently start to plant a mine/satchel/explosive infront of the door.

Best regards

• Like 3

I think it should also be toggeable so you can choose whether a certain key will remove something fro mthe action menu, some people may still want specific actions on their action menu.

• Like 1

Ah ArmA 3 and keys, this is one complicated game, I love gameplay but I hate that Action menu, I don't know how many times did I scrolled and selected wrong option in critical moment. Problem with A3 is that offers lots of options and most key on keyboard are already mapped, you could make a special combination, but still it doesn't make things simple when that left side of keyboard is taken with all kinds of combination (for one hand). There for Action menu is needed, which offers with simple mouse button scroll to select certain action. It's pros and cons.

Only good solution is extra buttons on keyboard in range for the left hand or dumb down controls, neither option is a good one. After playing A3 I do like to start my BF3 and enjoy that simple gameplay on HC settings. ArmA 3 should somehow be more user friendly, but without making it just another brainless FPS is fricking difficult.

Learning from the Industry standard.

Doors, rearm, take ect should all be on a context sensitive based off what you are looking at.

you could even go as far as get in and out of positions.

Take the grenade split and switching from ACE3 apply it to GL's too.

For everything that is found commonly make a key-binding.

The action menu should only have custom actions on it if all key-bindings are assigned.

You will have then solved the main issues with the action menu. 

• Like 4

"Open Door" on a keybind. Please. Pretty please. ACE3 has it and it's such a joy to use when clearing buildings.

• Like 1

I can just repeat myself. With the new Apex key settings, the "F" key is becoming freed of its purpose since one can set weapons switch/firemod switch to the number keys and the "F" key is the perfect key for a general action key.

• Like 2