bis_iceman

Visual Upgrade – Feedback

1.58 + Apex Water = Everybody Happy !

negative.

• Like 1

Can anything be done with the AK rifles look like they are wet?

Well stop droolin' already ;) p.s. I use AK-12 all the time :)

Well stop droolin' already ;) p.s. I use AK-12 all the time :)

No, BI has a fetish making all things shiny and btw AK-12 will be nerfed in the next stable update :P

1.58 + Apex Water = Everybody Happy !

it's not just the water. I'm first to admit the visual update has some issues. The broken lights on somethings.The lod problems came along with same update. But cannot completely trash the update because it hasn't had a smooth launch. Factors not helping like apex being rushed and heavily worked upon.

I have a comparison picture I'll try post. Of the gunship showcase.

In the 1.58 everything looks dirt brown. I mean everything. nothing has its own colour. It's the one shade of shit .

In the newer one there's a more realistic variety. I'll post picture soon as is possible to show you what I mean.

• Like 3

In the 1.58 everything looks dirt brown. I mean everything. nothing has its own colour. It's the one shade of shit .

In the newer one there's a more realistic variety. I'll post picture soon as is possible to show you what I mean.

It's just not worth the horrible lighting at night and all the bugs.
  • Like 2

It's just not worth the horrible lighting at night and all the bugs.

This has always come down to personal opinions, you've been very vocal against the upgrade, as a paying customer, that's your right, I and countless others, don't share your views or opinions, these are also our rights, there was so much hyperbole coming from a group of guys, it was pointless even trying to disagree, I doubt that has changed much either. 

Each to their own ;)

Came back 3 months later to see if anything has changed, sadly it seems nights are still impenetrable blackness ever since the visual upgrade. Is BIS ever planning on addressing this?

• Like 1

This has always come down to personal opinions, you've been very vocal against the upgrade, as a paying customer, that's your right, I and countless others, don't share your views or opinions, these are also our rights, there was so much hyperbole coming from a group of guys, it was pointless even trying to disagree, I doubt that has changed much either. 

Each to their own ;)

If we check steam charts http://steamcharts.com/app/107410we will see that Tanoa update wasn't succesful. The most huge decrease since Arma 3 launch (absolute change, not percents). Visual changes may be one of the reasons.

For me all looks perfectly realistic, in nights i see enough to take down man 70M ahead, as in real life. If you wanna bright arcade nights launch CoD or BF people. All bugs are noted and proceeded, but nights are not the bug.

• Like 4

It's not the night itself, but rather the light sources which are supposed to light it up. Campfires, for example, are pretty good at brightening up the immediate surroundings IRL, whereas in ArmA, they seem to give out no light at all.

• Like 1

Campfires, for example, are pretty good at brightening up the immediate surroundings IRL, whereas in ArmA, they seem to give out no light at all.

YJet2rD.jpg
  • Like 4

If we check steam charts http://steamcharts.com/app/107410we will see that Tanoa update wasn't succesful. The most huge decrease since Arma 3 launch (absolute change, not percents). Visual changes may be one of the reasons.

These charts don't represent much to be honest ruPal, the decline for August could be for a number of reasons, typically it's school break time, so the older generation don't have time to play.

The charts also show a steady increase in the players since Jan 2016.

I fail to see how you can state that the Tanoa update wasn't successful, in what terms wasn't it successful? From a business point of view? which is ALWAYS the driving force in any games.

How can you compare the charts to those who don't post on BiS, who don't play online, you simply cannot make a statement to claim Tanoa wasn't successful, with a chart that proves very little.

Show me the decline in sales, show me the statements from Jay Crowe and the business development team that back up your personal assessment Tanoa wasn't a success, and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. 

There's a handful of people who are disappointed with the APEX/Splendid upgrade, I would state the opposite of your claim is true, the majority of the users are more than happy and would claim it was a success.. 

Which one of us is right?

@Greenfist, you could post a raging inferno, there's some folks just not happy at all, and there's nothing going to please them apart from a mass roll back to 1.58. ;)

• Like 2

I like all the updates. That said night IS too dark. I've lived long enough to have a pretty good gauge and running around on a two hour Op in pitch black is just wrong. Even in the darkest of nights your eyes start to adapt and you will see around you. Not perfectly but the game leaves a LOT to be desired as it is.

Luckily I had a scope so could help support the section. But most troops were with iron sights. I've seen other vids posted from the same op even darker than mine. Literally walking in black soup. That's not cool

It's as if when it gets dark the dynamic range of the colours and luminosity is just compressed. Looks terrible

• Like 4

These charts don't represent much to be honest ruPal, the decline for August could be for a number of reasons, typically it's school break time, so the older generation don't have time to play.

The charts also show a steady increase in the players since Jan 2016.

You are wrong. Check charts one more time. There is no "steady" increase since January. Numbers are not steady. Don't forget about Arma 3 free weekends in May and other monthes. I think no, if we check 2013-2015 there was not so huge decrease than in august/september 2016. Of coure, everything can be. But Tanoa in July and then... this.

You are wrong. Check charts one more time. There is no "steady" increase since January. Numbers are not steady. Don't forget about Arma 3 free weekends in May and other monthes. I think no, if we check 2013-2015 there was not so huge decrease than in august/september 2016. Of coure, everything can be. But Tanoa in July and then... this.

You don't call going from 22,559  in Jan 2016 to 23049 In AUG a steady increase then? You're definition of failure and mine are very different then.

There was in increase in users in July, it coincides with Tanoa release only,  NOT Apex/Splendid release

You've still got MORE players in August than you did have in January.

Again you've proven nothing in how Tanoa hasn't been a success, the numbers from the beginning of the year to August have INCREASED, your theory is the one that's wrong.

Again you're not posting anything to support your belief that Tanoa wasn't a success.

the numbers from the beginning of the year to August have INCREASED, your theory is the one that's wrong.

Something is really wrong.

Jan - 22559

Mar - 21733

Apr - 20292

Aug-Sept - 21522

Just cannot see "steady increase", sorry. Statistics shows everything. Btw, that is offtopic, if you want to discuss it lets go to PM.

Something is really wrong.

Jan - 22559

Mar - 21733

Apr - 20292

Aug-Sept - 21522

Just cannot see "steady increase", sorry. Statistics shows everything. Btw, that is offtopic, if you want to discuss it lets go to PM.

The Statistics do not support Tanoa being a failure, your personal opinion does. 

you made a bold statement to this effect, I'm asking you to back this claim up, with more than a reduction of the number of players, that statistically show that there was MORE players in AUGUST than there was in January, at a time there was 2 significant releases, APEX and Tanoa. 

The statistic actually support that more people carried on playing after the splendid update in June, how many of these lower numbers and higher numbers for that matter were DEV branch and stopped.

How many of these people just realised they have a life outside of ARMA and stopped playing, there's no consensus to state " I stopped playing ARMA3 because it just sucked" .. or " I stopped playing till I got a new graphics card so I can boost my settings to Ultra so I can enjoy Tanoa in all its Glory" ? 

The consensus I've picked up from various people and map makers is that Tanoa is the best map Bohemia have produced yet. Personally I'd agree with this. I know you don't. so we have to agree to disagree. ;)

I don't class this as off topic, I class this very much as on topic, as once again, and for the 3rd time in asking, show me how Tanoa was considered a failure, if anything there's more positive reports about Tanoa than there is negative. Does that sound like a failure?

You've been fixated on 1.58, you have disliked every dev branch and regular update ever since, sure there's things not brilliant about The Splendid update or Tanoa, they're not to your liking, they are to many others liking. 

I like all the updates. That said night IS too dark. I've lived long enough to have a pretty good gauge and running around on a two hour Op in pitch black is just wrong. Even in the darkest of nights your eyes start to adapt and you will see around you. Not perfectly but the game leaves a LOT to be desired as it is.

Luckily I had a scope so could help support the section. But most troops were with iron sights. I've seen other vids posted from the same op even darker than mine. Literally walking in black soup. That's not cool

It's as if when it gets dark the dynamic range of the colours and luminosity is just compressed. Looks terrible

Is this your opinion from the latest rc/Dev.branch?

road runner, you can check deviations in 3 years. And there was no so huge decrease of players.

I think we can neglect deviations in statistics connected with players real life problems, because statistics is collected in 3 years and number of players with such problems is ~ contsant on equal periods of time. That is why I think that average online players = players interest in game = players feedback on changes in game.

Every update* should increase "online players", otherwise updates is a failure.

UPD: *every huge update like DLC or smth similar.
Oh and I don't play much since 1.60 that is why for me visual update = Tanoa update. May be I am wrong in this and visual update was released in one earlier version. Sorry for that.

• Like 1

Oh and I don't play much since 1.60 that is why for me visual update = Tanoa update. May be I am wrong in this and visual update was released in one earlier version. Sorry for that.

I am neither playing much since 1.60. Im just checking in from time to time in Dev mode to see if the problem with "visual upgrade" are solved. They are not. I have not really played anymore since May and I upgraded from ArmA II just 1 year ago. Currently im back into ArmA II because of better populated "Warfare CTI" servers but I confess I am missing a lot of features from ArmA III there.

imo... i stopped playing arma 3 after the tonoa update. personally i didnt even notice darker nights that much. I really liked the overall visual change, especially the much improved ground textures. it was the campaign that i found underwhelming and not interesting... and an sense of a lack of progress in the game. I mean the game itself, not the added weapons/vehciles most of which i have not yet seen. Not sure why but playing feels quite generic and shallow. i mean we have incredible breadth in the game and constant fine tuning, but now the devs need to start developing the weapon systems to be more than point and click, adding some substance where they can to make things feel more satisfying. anyway, I look forward to the next expansion and will certainly hope to see more in that. And will most likely buy it because I've always enjoyed arma  games.

• Like 1

Each to their own ;)

Thanks for reminding us the purpose of the forums; sharing opinions. And for the extra reminder that it's within our right to use it. 

There's enough people who specifically complain about night lighting for this to become an issue. It's not a competition of majority vs. minority. A significant amount of people are complaining so this should be addressed, as simple as that. This does not necessarily mean reverting back to 1.58, it does not mean that BIS must address it, but as long as this is an issue and BIS did not specifically announce that they are not going to fix, then this is still on the table as far as this thread is concerned.

• Like 2

Thanks for reminding us the purpose of the forums; sharing opinions. And for the extra reminder that it's within our right to use it. 

There's enough people who specifically complain about night lighting for this to become an issue. It's not a competition of majority vs. minority. A significant amount of people are complaining so this should be addressed, as simple as that. This does not necessarily mean reverting back to 1.58, it does not mean that BIS must address it, but as long as this is an issue and BIS did not specifically announce that they are not going to fix, then this is still on the table as far as this thread is concerned.

I have no problem with people highlighting issues at all, it's the people who use hyperbole in their posts to put their point across ;)

• Like 1

If ONLY THAT group of people have problem, maybe they can give devs some idea how to fix this "issue" by not screwing up the game, and make more issues for others, that are enjoying visuals?

• Like 1