bis_iceman

Visual Upgrade – Feedback

You are still going?

I made no demand, enough with the false exaggerations. All I did was express my opinion, that it is not reasonable to keep the night lighting problem unfixed. That's no demand, that's a voice of opinion, it's not against any rule. Do you think it would be reasonable to remove your precious high-tech NVGs and state that "we are aware of the NVG being broken, but make no promises to fix it"? No? Then I don't think breaking this game's night is reasonable. I am entitled for an opinion, and I don't need your permission to voice it. So how about removing your homemade moderator hat you made for yourself?

You should actually try reading through the entire thread, and the others threads with regards to the 1.60 update, there has been people making demands, and throwing strops? did I specifically mention you ? and you have the neck to talk about false exaggerations? ;)  You also seem to keep missing the small fact that I have agreed the nights are overly dark, but hey ho, all parr for the course.

Don't take small quotes out of an entire quote and twist it to suit your post, as that's misleading and wrong. 

You are indeed entitled to your opinions, as is everyone else, the difference between you and I is, I can wait for the fix, it will happen when it happens, I have the patience, can you say that about yourself and some of the others?

As for me being a home made moderator, hahahahaha, what makes you think or feel your own opinions hold anymore weight over anyone elses. It's because I've ruffled a few of your feathers by repeating what the devs have said, and I've just said be patient, there's nothing exaggerating there is there? Is this whole debate actually getting anyone anywhere?

The nights are broken, the devs have said it's not a simple fix, some others seem to claim otherwise, so which is it? Thankfully you have guys like metalcraze who is doing his best to provide a short term solution, until the devs can fix it properly, I have the faith they will. 

Before this conversation further deviants in the topic in hand, i would like to ask all users of this thread respect the forums rules and treat each other with respect. I really don't want to start handing out forum penalties. 

• Like 1

Of you asked me, this thread has run its course.

There is nothing new that can be reported that BI surely isn't aware of by now. When everyone is told to calm down, there are a few posts where people are more civil, only to escalate into a shouting match for another three or four pages, and on and on it goes. :wacko:

I haven't read anything that could be useful for quite sometime.

• Like 2

I confirm that since last visual upgrade, flashlights are not powerfull enough and are almost useless. It would be great to extend the scope light and the brightness in the next update !

Tried the Apex and still no fix for the night lighting...

So very disappointed in BI right now (also since they not once replied on any of my direct emails, I mean, why else even have a email adres?).

Tried the Apex and still no fix for the night lighting...

So very disappointed in BI right now (also since they not once replied on any of my direct emails, I mean, why else even have a email adres?).

What fix? Is it looking not realistic to you?

• Like 1

Seriously?

Yes. You mean darkness? - Its as in real life. You mean flares, chemlights etc?

Yes. You mean darkness? - Its as in real life. You mean flares, chemlights etc?

I mean the darkness. On Tanoa it seems fine, but Altis and Stratis are a joke. Nothing like real life. A full moon night is almost black and a new moon night is just pitch black. This is not real life.

My parents had a house in a very remote area in southern Spain, no other house to be seen. The nights there are like dark blue and with a full moon you don't even need any lights at all.

The black Arma now gives us is like my basement with all the lights off and door closed.

I mean the darkness. On Tanoa it seems fine, but Altis and Stratis are a joke. Nothing like real life. A full moon night is almost black and a new moon night is just pitch black. This is not real life.

My parents had a house in a very remote area in southern Spain, no other house to be seen. The nights there are like dark blue and with a full moon you don't even need any lights at all.

The black Arma now gives us is like my basement with all the lights off and door closed.

Whats your lightning graphic setting set to? Are they default?

I still see 50M from me without moon, when full moon is "on" i can see further, i use default settings 100/100/100, Its a question of monitor i guess, that why they put so much sliders.

I'm used to be on default, but put brightness on 0.9 since the visual update. Haven't checked back on default since then I admit, but can't imagine that makes the difference.

So could be my monitor, but never had any issues with the gams (or whole series for that matter) before the update.

I'm used to be on default, but put brightness on 0.9 since the visual update. Haven't checked back on default since then I admit, but can't imagine that makes the difference.

So could be my monitor, but never had any issues with the gams (or whole series for that matter) before the update.

Yes, beacuse night in most common games are very bright, only for gameplay reasons. Do not forgot, visual update putted push on realism. Try to set also all to 1.0, and in last tab increase brighness "a bit" (up to 104 for example, dont put too high values).

Well tested out Tanoa.

Well tested out Tanoa, some good news and bad news. But mostly good news.

Tanoa has much improved night lighting visuals over Altis and Stratis. Moonlight is close to normal again not 100% to how it originally looked like, still think the original visuals were king. But it's definitely an improvement. The colors at night especially in the sky are solid again and no longer have those hideous ugly pixelated lines of distortion. The moonlight is still a bit darker than before but I'm still able by adjusting the weather and TOD to make it have atmosphere again. No NVG's needed. Imagine that folks.

Did a quick test to see if I could pull off some fog effects and see how much the moonlight highlights fog and overall objects on the map. Still think BIS should aim to make the moonlight a bit more brighter like before. 

^ Color correction I think should be readjusted a bit. I've noticed overtime working with custom color corrections in missions that if the colors are overexposed when I shine a flashlight on an object the object turns insanely bright/white to the point you can't see the details of the object anymore. It's not hideous, but it could be a bit less overexposed so the light is still bright and you can still see all the details of the object you're shining your light on. Small nitpick.

Besides that, if you want to go to town and create some ambient missions at night on Tanoa you can now. Also chemlights definitely needs to be brighter. For me in a video game like this a chemlight to shine enough to make a small room bright, like how it worked before in the past, nuff said. The chemlights in A3 currently are completely useless still.

I think chemlights are real as never before :

About flashlight, it depend of light brightness - when light was a bit darker, people were complaining about its too dark, so they increased brigness of flashlights, now people complaining about white color flashed by this light is too bright - c'mon people, think what you want.

@Grumpy Old Man - you are right here, flares need fixing, thats for sure.

About flashlight, it depend of light brightness - when light was a bit darker, people were complaining about its too dark, so they increased brigness of flashlights, now people complaining about white color flashed by this light is too bright - c'mon people, think what you want.

You're implying that people make contradictory requests, but this is not the case. What people mean is that lights should illuminate more, further distances. But on the other hand, the illuminated surfaces should not be washed out by too much white light, obscuring details. Having illumination across a larger distance without washing out details of illuminated surfaces is good in terms of gameplay and realism.

Please realize that this is a matter of configuring the different aspects of lighting, the distance of illumination can be independent of the brightness of the light.

• Like 2

You're implying that people make contradictory requests, but this is not the case. What people mean is that lights should illuminate more, further distances. But on the other hand, the illuminated surfaces should not be washed out by too much white light, obscuring details. Having illumination across a larger distance without washing out details of illuminated surfaces is good in terms of gameplay and realism.

Please realize that this is a matter of configuring the different aspects of lighting, the distance of illumination can be independent of the brightness of the light.

If you say so :)

that lights should illuminate more, further distances. But on the other hand, the illuminated surfaces should not be washed out by too much white light, obscuring details. Having illumination across a larger distance without washing out details of illuminated surfaces is good in terms of gameplay and realism.

Yeah. I keep changing my brightness contrast and saturation settings in each mission according to the time of day and lighting. It shouldn't be this way.

Yes, beacuse night in most common games are very bright, only for gameplay reasons. Do not forgot, visual update putted push on realism. Try to set also all to 1.0, and in last tab increase brighness "a bit" (up to 104 for example, dont put too high values).

Nope, does not work for me. Thanks for trying to help anyway.

Stay dissapointed with BI, because they had it beautiful before the update. it works for Tanoa, but they messed up Altis and Stratis. Not just the nights, but also the days. Something is off there, just doesn't feel good anymore. Also it is anoying as hell that the high grass and other vegatation keeps changing colour/darkness when moving. Unplayable for me.

Looks like they sacraficed those two Island for Tanoa. Shame.

Tried to play it and get used to it. Tried all kinds of settings, but nothing works for me.

BI, if you read this (since you don't reply to my emails); you ruined it for me, after all those years since Flashpoint. Why? Is this where it's going to with the new lead?

• Like 2

Stay dissapointed with BI, because they had it beautiful before the update. it works for Tanoa, but they messed up Altis and Stratis. Not just the nights, but also the days. Something is off there, just doesn't feel good anymore. Also it is anoying as hell that the high grass and other vegatation keeps changing colour/darkness when moving. Unplayable for me.

Tried to play it and get used to it. Tried all kinds of settings, but nothing works for me.

BI, if you read this (since you don't reply to my emails); you ruined it for me, after all those years since Flashpoint. Why? Is this where it's going to with the new lead?

Man no need to overreact, its not unplayable, not that bad.

If grass is changin brightness/colour that must be something with your GPU drivers OR, try to disable HBAO and PPAA. For me grass objects pop-up in 10-15M from me (changing to first LOD), yeah its very annoying, but  they still working right? Remember how it is with every update - there is hotfix most of time :)

BTW they was focused mostly on Apex last time, so now, when its released, they can fully focus on fixing the problems, that was already reported. Game may change a bit in 1.64, beacuse i'm sure visual update fixes standing on first place. Then there will comes mods - all terrains developers adjusted their islands to visual update, which now will start to change propably.

But if they sake lighting on custom maps and finally fix vanilla to fit for most of users (not all, its simply impossible, everyone have his own taste), that will be good step forward IMO.

I agree with both Athena and Vasily here, yes I am the coward middle man ;-)

On the one hand I loved to play on Altis and Stratis, sometimes just walk around to enjoy the scenery. But now I just don't feel it anymore, even after hours of tweaking the settings. It is not only lighting of the terrain, but also the lighting on objects, such as the now almost white mx rifles. What kind of annoys me is the thought that obviously BIS spend a lot of time on the original lighting to make it just right, a thing that the game is famous for. You just know that changing it a lot will probably make it worse.

On the other hand, there is nothing that can be done right now, I hope BIS agrees with many of the problems that have been put forward and they will fix them over the coming months like Vasily says. I decided for the time being to just quit creating/playing missions on Altis and Stratis,

Tanoa looks great, so I'll make and play some missions for that and hopefully the old Islands get fixed so it will not be a trade like Athena said.

• Like 2

Agree, Altis and Stratis look rubbish now compared to how it was before the latest graphical update, they only updated the graphics to make Tanoa look tropical and bright looking, but it has made all other maps look like crap and not real looking at all, and changing settings what ever you do, cant get the realistic look back it had before.

• Like 1

I feel your pain. Have stopped playing Arma 3 since 1.60. Tried three times after 1.60 but couldn't used to it. 1.62 didn't fix that for me. 2000+ hours in Arma 3 and less than one since 1.60.

• Like 1