bis_iceman

Visual Upgrade – Feedback

I have noticed white roof on altis too.

One thing that was missing in the OPREP, is the change of road textures. While I think the new textures look better, their resolution is beyond bad. What was the reason for that decision?

38aQSVX.jpg

My texture setting is on Ultra.

One thing that was missing in the OPREP, is the change of road textures. While I think the new textures look better, their resolution is beyond bad. What was the reason for that decision?

38aQSVX.jpg

My texture setting is on Ultra.

Hi, R3vo

you are rigth, this road was changed too, and it needs more love. I will do improve that. 

The reason for change this was effort for better feeling of the road. This change was not the main point of Visual update.

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

• Like 4

clouds 'tearing' and smeary edges etc. is technology limitation (TrueSky) middle-ware

afaik even recent War Thunder update (they using own massive rewrite of the technology) didn't fix it fully either ...

same goes for latest TrueSky revision (we're using older build)

There was some guy here on forums who speaks with TrueSky developers - they said they fixed it fully.

with this upgrade the ground textures were made darker?

http://imgur.com/4AxUE66

left old right new Textures,

my Terrain looks now a lot brighter.....

Yes, ground textures are now more darker, and materials are set to 1,1,1 (RGB) for  a diffuse and ambient.

Could we get a filter to darken the UW-world,to make it more murky,sence we will use this a lot to make Seals-type gameplay,where you in real life will be able to sit on the bottom of the Harbour and we will be totally invizable to the one looking down at us.

You are getting there.Keep it up.We will need to have it in such a way ,we will actually need a flashlight.Water is full of particles and just a few meters down-it`s impossible to see-or make out what things is.

Yes, ground textures are now more darker, and materials are set to 1,1,1 (RGB) for  a diffuse and ambient.

Is there any general advise that the art team has on necessary changes to textures to fit the new lighting and colour grading? Or is it something you tackled on a case-by-case basis looking at each texture/model?

I had noticed on one of my models that used a bunch of near-black tones (all < [12,12,12] RGB) that the tone mapping caused all of them to crush down to a very homogenous black colour. Whereas the grey variations were more apparent on the model in the old lighting system.

As a result I've had to lift the brightness of those greys by about 10% (closer to [30,30,30] RGB) to make it appear less flat black. So the opposite of what you've done with the ground textures really :D

pQ6tNVsm.png

Same model in the old lighting system: http://da12thmonkey.rkslstudios.info/A3/IMG/EOT_ingame.jpg

Hello Devs,

Nice update with great visual upgrades...

but you guys missed the 2 most urgent things...

1: 64bit support ( its the very most important thing over every change.....)

2: mid range textures .... (hello??? it looks that much old)

(3: 2009 called : it wants back the bad performance and bad textures )

thx for reading

There was some guy here on forums who speaks with TrueSky developers - they said they fixed it fully.

the guy never said what build of TrueSky nor shared any contacts to theirs devs ...

from what I know that visual limitation was still present last time we checked ...

• Like 1

Is there any general advise that the art team has on necessary changes to textures to fit the new lighting and colour grading? Or is it something you tackled on a case-by-case basis looking at each texture/model?

I had noticed on one of my models that used a bunch of near-black tones (all < [12,12,12] RGB) that the tone mapping caused all of them to crush down to a very homogenous black colour. Whereas the grey variations were more apparent on the model in the old lighting system.

As a result I've had to lift the brightness of those greys by about 10% (closer to [30,30,30] RGB) to make it appear less flat black. So the opposite of what you've done with the ground textures really :D

pQ6tNVsm.png

Same model in the old lighting system: http://da12thmonkey.rkslstudios.info/A3/IMG/EOT_ingame.jpg

Hi da12thMonkey,

The new lighting is more contrast so very dark and very bright pixels can be out of the range. There are two ways how fix too dark part of your models.

1. Brighten the dark pixels up, a little bit more bright intensity. (this is a simple way )

2. Better improve of reflection by the super shader. I mean let the environmental light make pixels more bright by fresnel. (this way is more complicated, but I think it will looks much better)

• Like 1

to dear artists and decision makers:

please consider these requests of mine.

#1.  i would like better quality rocks, boulders and exposed granite cliffs on rugged shore lines in both altis and stratis.  I personally don't think currently the rocks and boulders look realistic at all.  I have played 'Vanishing of ethan carter'  the quality of rocks there is great.  they indeed do look very realistic.  they are using this process called photogrammetry.  Can you please use this process to create your rocks and their textures, or steal their digital assets :)  Also if you could do the same with the trees as well.  

here are a few high quality rocks:
http://i.imgur.com/ncblNkz.jpg 

#2   How about some crashing waves on rugged granite clilffs off the stratis shore line.  Currently seems like stratis and altis are some islands in a lake.

#3   Also increased grass draw distance will help alot especially when low level flying in helo.  check out my helo video at:  

.  and yes i am using rotorlib afm.  This not the dev branch, i am using some sweetfx post processing stuff and that why it looks a little different from vanilla.  For the screen shots i have seen from you guys i will surely be ditching the sweetfx after your updagrades are included.

Thanks

oh, one more thing:  can the pine grooves (founds all over in altis and stratis) can be more tightly packed.  while flying over, one can see the ground which i don't thing should be possible as tree canopy usually blocks the ground in forest.

Thanks

clouds 'tearing' and smeary edges etc. is technology limitation (TrueSky) middle-ware

afaik even recent War Thunder update (they using own massive rewrite of the technology) didn't fix it fully either ...

same goes for latest TrueSky revision (we're using older build)

Dwarden, are you sure that the cloud issues aren't solved in the latest version of TrueSky?

As I wrote in another thread (even in the Feedback Tracker), I got in contact with Roderick Kennedy, one of the developers of TrueSky, in October 2015 and asked him about that issues (wobbeling clouds).

His response was as followed:

"Thanks very much for your message.

In the latest version of trueSKY, this issue is fixed, due to our new rendering approach.

Best,

Roderick"

I don't understand much of programming but I really thought an update of the TrueSky API might do the job.

Crossing fingers that we some day have splendidâ„¢ clouds even on the borders of our monitors in Arma 3 too ;)

First. The new tone-mapping is a big improvement, looks fantastic, and tweaking a little bit the post-processing becomes even better. Congratulations BIS!  :lol:

Very slight adjustments to make:

- There is too much contrast in low-light situations. Blacks are too black and light does not spread well. Seems linear decay.

- Some rocks seem made of rubber.

- Some very white textures are burned.

- Darker shadows.

Some captures after making tweaks.

http://imgur.com/a/iHWzZ

• Like 2

if we could have the ground textures aka terrain color like it was before visual update, would be great.

After today update is still toooo bright, affects every single island, but those who have less vegetation and/or less grass the ground just become white.

All the rest is perfectly fine and awesome.

Ground textures on Altis are very long to load (this link) since Friday update. I don't know why, it's maybe not related.

When I move the camera at ground level, road texture load way faster than other ground textures.

I defragged my HDD but it didn't fixed anything.

--------------

BTW, the "move here" feature to move the camera on the map in 3Den is broken (white screen, lighting problem)

steps to reproduce :

open a map (altis) in 3Den

open the 2D map

choose a place, right clic on it and use "move here"

leave the 2D map

=> white screen.

----------------EDIT : unable to reproduce

I did a comparison of stable and Dev branch with the new visuals. Using the same mission marksman showcase.

Stable http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=663256891

Dev branch new visuals

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=663257215

Apologies for pics but on phone. For me Dev branch new visuals blows stable away.

Thought I try today's update to see if there are any performance improvements and it has got even worse.

Honestly I'd be happy enough to stay on 1.56 but this 'upgrade' will have made my APEX pre-order as useful as a chocolate teapot as I can't even install it without making the original game unplayable.

Thought I try today's update to see if there are any performance improvements and it has got even worse.

Honestly I'd be happy enough to stay on 1.56 but this 'upgrade' will have made my APEX pre-order as useful as a chocolate teapot as I can't even install it without making the original game unplayable.

I'm not sure this is 100% related to new visuals. Alot have had no problems. Thats not to say on general discussion a few people have reported performance problems but being related to anything other than being a Dev branch is not clear. Go general and post settings set up. Might help.

just some generic feedback and some shameless plugs for a few semi related things.

i really like the new depth stuff. forests look so much more interesting now. eventhough the old set up was a little more balanced in terms of colours it looks very flat in comparison. this has great potential. i really hope it won't be a nightmare to make look properly with terrain lighting settings and will instead just need a few tweaks and additional entries. can't wait to get all that on cherno :wub:

1. is there any chance to get some type of pbr lighting model and update the shaders overall? or is arma already using an advanced lighting model? doesn't seem like it. would be a great thing for a game that has to handle so many lighting conditions. i thought maybe dx12 maybe helps make that faster and more feasible or something. all of this is just some vague interest not based in expertise on the topic. :lol:

2. is there also some updating of the shadow technology planned (shadows from all light sources etc) or is the dev branch pretty much the extent of what we will see in Apex?

i was just going to suggest (3.) to introduce the contrast and saturation sliders from the splendid cam to the graphics menu, but then i saw you did jsut that. awesome! thx a lot for that. :bounce2:

• Like 1

Hi Arma Developers,

I really like this update.  The only way I can describe it is it feels like I'm playing something on Unreal Engine.  (And  that's in a good way).

The LODs are pretty much rock solid, which is really important to me.  Out of interest, hjave you added your geometry occulder tech yet, or is that still to come?

I won't comment on colours and that sort of thing, as I don't really know what I'm talking about when it comes to approximating real life colour etc, but from a players perspective, it feels less jittery etc so thanks.   :)

Couple of bugs in this video.

The smoke disappears when you look at it (first half of video)

The insides of the hangars flicker depending on your angle (secondf half of video)

Keep up the good work!   :)

• Like 1

I made this timelapse webm to show my friends and I noticed some weird cloud behavior: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2282299/tl3.webm

They seem to kinda loiter and just move around back and forth, and at (I'm assuming) midnight, they seem to totally reset and make a totally new formation. This happens around 19 seconds in the webm. I've seen other A3 timelapses and I haven't noticed this issue so I'm guessing it was introduced with the visual update.

• Like 1

I made this timelapse webm to show my friends and I noticed some weird cloud behavior: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2282299/tl3.webm

They seem to kinda loiter and just move around back and forth, and at (I'm assuming) midnight, they seem to totally reset and make a totally new formation. This happens around 19 seconds in the webm. I've seen other A3 timelapses and I haven't noticed this issue so I'm guessing it was introduced with the visual update.

thats due to changing wind and overcast/forecast values