bis_iceman

Visual Upgrade – Feedback

CfwexJuWQAA_LDV.jpg

Can we have the same ingame and reference photo taken during the night while full moon ?

• Like 1

Have to chime in and say that the night lighting needs a little* more tweaking. It's as though the attenuation for light sources at night has been severely limited, so that lights now only illuminate out to about 20% of their previous distance. Various scripts of mine which spawned lightpoints have had to be reworked because those spawned lights no longer seem to illuminate anything. I figure the same now applies to flares, chemlights, fires etc. 

* By little, I actually mean a very significant amount

• Like 2

This visual upgrade is totally broken.

Geez, can it get any more dramatic than this?

I do agree though that the full moon nights on Altis are too dark, compare

Altis Night full moon

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/267215814113466486/001318073033A8D14C02A38746AFFF585CF47446/

CUP Chernarus full moon

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/267215814113466639/51AD58EDB5ACD3FDCCD62F22A3BCF4ADD0801811/

Obvious bias aside, Chernarus night lighting is better IMO

Flares have been broken since quite a while, they don't illuminate anything

• Like 1

I am still of the opinion that the overcast weather from before the visual upgrade was better when there was rain. It gave a more menacing feeling. At the moment, even with rain and lightning slider to maximum position it still looks like the picture on the right, which would be, for me, a situation where the weather was cloudy but no rain/lightning.

Other than that and the previously mentioned issues with nights, I feel that this update shows how much this game is improving. Keep it up!

operp_visual_5.jpg

It gave a more menacing feeling.

it's Arma 3, not Apocalypse 3 where everything needs to be menacing or dangerous looking. What a world that would be where a simple overcast sky would drive the fear into people...

• Like 3

Obvious bias aside, Chernarus night lighting is better IMO

Flares have been broken since quite a while, they don't illuminate anything

Bias justified, the CUP 1.10 Chernarus night lighting is fantastic.

Flares do illuminate things but only within about 20m, and only faintly.

Map was partially fixed (still worse than before)

1.58 vs 1.60

Showcase armed assault (too much green!)

1.58 vs 1.60

The map I get. The too much green? I'm probably missing something the 1.60 looks better to me. But I'm not sure if you just mean too much grass.

it's Arma 3, not Apocalypse 3 where everything needs to be menacing or dangerous looking. What a world that would be where a simple overcast sky would drive the fear into people...

He's right tho, the image on the right is what we have now during a thunder storm and it's not even close what it should be, i.e more like the pic on the left.

The too much green?

Gamma. There is simply too much green color.

Bias justified, the CUP 1.10 Chernarus night lighting is fantastic.

Flares do illuminate things but only within about 20m, and only faintly.

Yeah but not nearly enough. I mean, battlefield illumination fired by mortars should make it really bright, but this is really hardly visible at all.

We've implemented proper parachute illumination flares in CUP, as opposed to pure signal flares. I think that is what the base game needs as well.

• Like 1

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/185055-wip-terrain-x-cam-taunus/?p=3032720

Very promising map mod X-cam Taunus has run into some problems with the visual update and ceased development for now :(((

it looks really bad with the new lighting: https://i.imgur.com/s5IPgdq.jpg

If any BIS devs read this maybe you could help them out or provide some kind of solution, it's a real shame because the map looked so promising.

AS those of us who have been using the visual update on Dev branch for several weeks now would probably agree-the consensus seems to be that the visual update looks fantastic, but ambient light from the moon and flares,chemlights etc is still not right. it is currently almost impossible to play at night without NVG even on full moons. But once that is tweaked the game will look better than it ever has.

This update is really great as a whole. Regarding the visuals, Altis look fantastic and the water reflections are fan-freaking-tastic. But I've gotta say...

Zargabad and Reshmaan look absolutely terrible. There's so much white where desert tan used to be and such a deep forest green where tan-ish green used to be on uniforms. The desert looks like a Crest whitening commercial.

I don't know if any of you are familiar with Fallout New Vegas, but the best way I can describe it is like using the Dynamo ENB http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/58505/? mixed with the washed out look of Battlefield.

It's like being in a cartoon. This is great for FONV but awful for a military simulator.

I'll mess around with the new options but with the bit of time I spent dropping some of the values, I was pretty much just making things worse.

I hope this doesn't come across as complaining just for the sake of complaining. This update is wonderful all around. And certain moments even look way better than before (like the clouds at day break). But as a whole, the visuals right now are a real turn-off. I'm sure I'll get used to it but I was shocked last night with how over the top this is.

Agreed.

There should be noticeable reduction in ambient light when overcast.

To me there's too much ambient light (Non directional) which makes everything too bright.

I am still of the opinion that the overcast weather from before the visual upgrade was better when there was rain. It gave a more menacing feeling. At the moment, even with rain and lightning slider to maximum position it still looks like the picture on the right, which would be, for me, a situation where the weather was cloudy but no rain/lightning.

Other than that and the previously mentioned issues with nights, I feel that this update shows how much this game is improving. Keep it up!

operp_visual_5.jpg

He's right tho, the image on the right is what we have now during a thunder storm and it's not even close what it should be, i.e more like the pic on the left.

what it should be? so this is no thunderstorm?

Agreed.

To me there's too much ambient light (Non directional) which makes everything too bright.

Regarding the brightness-you need to turn down brightness in the postproccess section until the clouds are clearly defined in the sky-so the sky is not white anymore. I found changing PP brightness to 105,Saturation to 115 and contrast to 120 was perfect for my monitor. That is with Brightness and gamma both at about 0.8 or 0.9

Gamma. There is simply too much green color.

Can you look out of the window please? Thank you, we got summer, in A3 this is Greece. Anything more?

He was meaning clouddy with no rain! Please read once again what you reffering to. It look as it should look.

it took me a lot of hours to find a new setting that still looks somewhat liek what I see outside of the windown. BUT, it seems that shadows are too hard, even those that should be less pronounced like thise on characters in the open at noon. HBAO+ shadow does no good currently. A püroblem tjhat can occur now is that a lot of camo colours don't match the lighting anymore and do not work good as camoflage. The tan colours turned all into ivory and a lot of the greens is to bright now.

Can confirm that HBAO+ doesn't look good now. It was perfect pre-upgrade, now it seems that it hasn't been tweaked for the new lighting and it darkens way too much.

I actually get an overall better looking image by switching back to the old HDAO.

what it should be? so this is no thunderstorm?

I assume you can figure it out by yourself by watching a couple of other storm videos and the example photos.

He was meaning clouddy with no rain! Please read once again what you reffering to. It look as it should look.

Was he?

"At the moment, even with rain and lightning slider to maximum position it still looks like the picture on the right, which would be, for me, a situation where the weather was cloudy but no rain/lightning."

Emphasis mine.

I thought he wanted something like on the left for stormy weather, but currently it's impossible because it always looks like the one on the right.

I know I'd like to have it back, the nasty weather that is.

• Like 1

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/185055-wip-terrain-x-cam-taunus/?p=3032720

Very promising map mod X-cam Taunus has run into some problems with the visual update and ceased development for now :(((

it looks really bad with the new lighting: https://i.imgur.com/s5IPgdq.jpg

If any BIS devs read this maybe you could help them out or provide some kind of solution, it's a real shame because the map looked so promising.

i get the same for my map is like the Sun dosent reflect anymore to the ground...and it suck

Agreed.

Agree i dont see again directional light, my Beach surface look like if is 18:00 pm but actually is 12:00 pm....cant belive this..to dark or too bright

Fix light directional and the light affect the surface please

As u can see in this screen i have the Sun over me but dosent affect the ground

F422D7F67372F5CCDF53D544BDF0880317D22A28