bis_iceman

Visual Upgrade – Feedback

I hate to be the bringer of the bad news but the Visual Upgrade is simply not ready.

Just a cold blooded comparison (1.58 vs DEV)

Chemlights, flares and a flashlight are useless now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnMZCn9tek0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcA4sgOtbRM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-zCTxAABGU

IR grenade and laser pointer are not even working correctly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_om-VzaIBFQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e25UgxiO2js

Map is still broken
1.58 vs DEV
This road is still LowRes
1.58 vs DEV
The mid range terrain texture looks much worse
1.58 vs DEV

Not to mention the clouds are way too bright even when there is a thunderstorm.
  • Like 10

Good feedback danil-ch. Alot of these things bother me too. Chemlights should be equally bright, flares much brighter, and I reported those new low res road textures 2 month ago.

Thanks danil-ch, that's exactly what bothers me with the new Visual Upgrade, everything else is sure nice but some of these problems are gameplay breaking

I'm not sure I'm with you on this one; street lights are always fairly dim, they're not spot lights...

I'm not so sure that this is intended artistic flare.

At least not going by all the examples of how light sources have been badly affected.

With Tanoa being a jungle setting. You'd think light sources will be more scarce. chem, flare, flashlights are going to be even more important.

Yup, with flares, chem-lights its confirmed, i was even reporting this 2 weeks ago. Under barrel flares are almost not giving any light, that made my squad totally blind in the night without NVG (yesterday night gameplay). Off course vanilla, no mods active, RC branch.

It was already brought up in the general discussion thread, but can we please get some confirmation on the colored clouds issue? Have they been removed/altered again? I don't want to fall prey to confirmation bias, so an official BIS response would be appreciated to determine whether or not we're seeing things (or rather, not seeing things  :P ).

Mid range textures are really bad with Dev build!

The ground is brighter with the new visuals so the good old lack of proper midrange textures is more visible now.

I hate to be the bringer of the bad news but the Visual Upgrade is simply not ready.

Just a cold blooded comparison (1.58 vs DEV)

Chemlights, flares and a flashlight are useless now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnMZCn9tek0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcA4sgOtbRM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-zCTxAABGU

IR grenade and laser pointer are not even working correctly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_om-VzaIBFQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e25UgxiO2js

Map is still broken
1.58 vs DEV
This road is still LowRes
1.58 vs DEV
The mid range terrain texture looks much worse
1.58 vs DEV

Not to mention the clouds are way too bright even when there is a thunderstorm.

This visual upgrade is totally broken. All the issues mentioned by Danil-ch made it into 1.60 stable.

Moonlight broken.

Flares broken.

Chem lights broken.

All light sources are way to dim.

Night sky way to dim.

Everything looks like an overexposed photography with default settings.

What exactly is the point of these visual changes, and why is it not kept on the dev branch until all issues are fixed?

• Like 3

I appreciate the effort put in and yes it does make the regular maps like Stratis and Altis look better. But for a modder what am I suppose to do with all my missions that use custom color correction that were carefully tweaked for a specific visual look? Go back and redo it all over again? That can take hours.

I like the reflections added on the water, that's a nice feature. Forcing a color correction on all maps across the board seems like a issue for someone who wants to be creative. It would be awesome if we had an official color correction module in the editor with sliders that can adjust the visual look to what the player wants exactly.

This visual upgrade is totally broken. All the issues mentioned by Danil-ch made it into 1.60 stable.

Moonlight broken.

Flares broken.

Chem lights broken.

Night sky way to dim.

What exactly is the point of these visual changes, and why is it not kept on the dev branch until all issues are fixed?

Disappointing. Can only assume it was too much work before 1.60 as it was noted time and time again on Dev branch feedback. Lighting from chems etc. problem that is.

I like the visual changes, it makes Altis look really good, I think it really makes the different grass/shrub types visually pop and look more convincing.

I think the look makes buildings look better for sure.

Ideally I would want it to stay visually the same as it is while fixing those lighting problems with chemlights etc. that got introduced.

Moonlight broken.

Flares broken.

Chem lights broken.

Night sky way to dim.

What exactly is the point of these visual changes

CfwexJuWQAA_LDV.jpg

Maybe because it looks 100 times better? 

Though to be fair, aside from the new lighting (that's even customizable), the chem lights were never very bright, the only time they were all balanced was back in Alpha. Flares have always been broken (or probably toned down to less than ideal levels, trust me, i've also asked for them to be drastically buffed), as for things like the moonlight, and all light sources being to dim, can you provide a photo we can look at?

I'm seeing a lot of dissapointment but with bit of tweaking,.......

Morning

morning.jpg

Noon

noon.jpg

Evening

evening.jpg

My advice is to keep in mind there are about as many displays, color adjustments as there are users.

a few more adjusting the morning and evening just a bit more for drama...

Morning

Morning.jpg

Noon

Noon.jpg

Evening

Evening.jpg

• Like 2

I think most disappointments are more to do with the dim lights. As far as the visual upgrade is I'd say impressive for the most part.

• Like 1

edited for empty.

@ Phantom3013

Yeah, I did notice that the nights are really wonky. When I get time I'll fiddle with that.

CfwexJuWQAA_LDV.jpg

Though to be fair, aside from the new lighting (that's even customizable), the chem lights were never very bright, the only time they were all balanced was back in Alpha. Flares have always been broken (or probably toned down to less than ideal levels, trust me, i've also asked for them to be drastically buffed), as for things like the moonlight, and all light sources being to dim, can you provide a photo we can look at?

Of course you can find a nice spot a take some good screenshots, that means nothing. The new water reflections, shore lines, and other visuals look great at day time that's not the problem.

The problem is many game mechanics is broken. Playing night missions without NVGs are now impossible without cranking your gamma levels up to ridiculous levels.

Even then you barley see the ground on a clear full moon night.

Just go into the editor set the date to a full moon night, place your character next to one on the lighthouses on Stratis.(they used to light up surrounding areas like it was daytime) Then come back here and tell me it looks 100 times better.

And throw down some flares and chems while your at it. Saying they have always been broken is bullshit. danil-ch provided excellent videos of before and after visual upgrade. It's on top of this page and I even quoted it.

Of course you can find a nice spot a take some good screenshots, that means nothing.

...on the contrary, isn't that the point of this thread? Granted, not every detail may have been addressed as far as visuals go, but it's a great start. Machanics failures accompanied with this update mighy be better addressed in another similar thread.

Just go into the editor set the date to a full moon night, place your character next to one on the lighthouses on Stratis.(they used to light up surrounding areas like it was daytime) Then come back here and tell me it looks 100 times better.

And throw down some flares and chems while your at it. Saying they have always been broken is bullshit. danil-ch provided excellent videos of before and after visual upgrade. It's on top of this page and I even quoted it.

If you read my comment, you'd understand i replied to each aspect, I also agreed that the light sources need to be looked at, especially flares, since they haven't worked since Alpha. Chem lights are another story, those have been broken recently, as well as the moonlight. But Flares, have never really worked as intended.

• Like 1

Looks good, 2 thumbs up :627:

+1 for the need to fix light brightness (moon, chem lights, fire objects, etc)

• Like 1

Like the visual update a lot. 

+1 for the need to fix light brightness in nighttimes (moon, chem lights, fire objects, FLARES etc)

• Like 1

+1 for making nights brighter, I had several missions planned where players would be dropped in at night without nightvision and after the new update it is impossible to see anything without nightvision at night, even with the full moon out. As others have said this also affects things like the effectiveness of chemlights.

• Like 1

CfwexJuWQAA_LDV.jpg

It does looks 100000 times better and it's a great thing ! But it doesn't mean that there isn't a few real bad problems with nights and how the map looks now,

I mean we get new tools to draw on the map but in the meawhile you can't see anything anymore on it and can't tell buildings apart, what's the point...