bis_iceman

Visual Upgrade – Feedback

The night vision is fine. Given it's set in 2035, and yet today, in 2016, there is already NVG/Thermal infused tech that looks exactly as it does in MGSV, i think having NVG's without the extra hassle is fine. Besides, making it more strict would make more people not use it, and would also add more people avoiding night time missions. It's hard to fight night missions already.

Please add cirrus clouds! They were present in Takistan and Chernarus's skies, why not Altis?

9338247626_cbbae8a878_b.jpg

Cirrus_fibratus_and_Cirrocumulus.jpg

• Like 6

Please add cirrus clouds! They were present in Takistan and Chernarus's skies, why not Altis?

Because BIS uses a 3rd party cloud simulation package for ArmA 3. ArmA 2 relied on skyboxes and primitive cloud creation fucntion that had to be enabled in the editor.

PS: Is there any info about a color fix for the visual update? From what I could gather in this thread there are a lot of people, including me, that find the colors way too dark. In addition, they do not scale well across the seasons. Either summer is too dark, or winter is too bright.

Wouldnt it be relatively easy to change the color spectrum according to the seasons? (The user can ofcourse adjust the colors himself, but why should he do that if the game could provide a realistic summer / winter spectrum out the box).

Winter? On Altis? With green trees and bushes? That's a bit of a stretch...

Because BIS uses a 3rd party cloud simulation package for ArmA 3. ArmA 2 relied on skyboxes and primitive cloud creation fucntion that had to be enabled in the editor.

High level clouds are completely possible in ArmA3.

Chernarus+ for example blends different skyboxes at different weather settings, and you get the same results if you load it in ArmA. So I guess it only depends on how the map is configured.

High level clouds are completely possible in ArmA3.

Chernarus+ for example blends different skyboxes at different weather settings, and you get the same results if you load it in ArmA. So I guess it only depends on how the map is configured.

Oh yeah, sure its possible. Thats not how I meant it.

I was saying that ArmA 3 uses a different approach to cloud rendering. Im certainly not an expert or a professional, but im guessing that it is a bit harder to achieve realistic looking clouds in TrueSky compared to blending skyboxes together. The difference is that the end result looks a lot better with TrueSky.

I honestly have no idea how easy it is to generate reallife cloud models in TrueSky, so my last sentence might be completely wrong.

I really want to make them work properly than look better. This rotating and changing shape is killing joy from gameplay, also rain is turning ON too early, you can play with cloudy weather without rain (with grey skybox).

• Like 1

The Arma future is in the past....

http://marinesmagazine.dodlive.mil/2012/03/12/color-nvgs/

Also the FOV needs to be reduced (40º) and the need for grainy screen due to the phosphorus screen, there´s should the a trade-off for using nvd.

example: drawing

That color image is pretty amazing.  That said, just because someone is using NVDs doesn't mean the image has to be grainy.  On medium to high light nights, modern NVDs very clear, and with the white phosphorus tubes, it's even better.  Those things are amazing.

As for the FOV, technically you're correct, but what the game doesn't model is that you can look around your goggles in real life.  In game, you either get NVG view with large parts of the view blacked out or non-NVG view with a full FOV.  So a larger than realistic FOV on NVGs kind of offsets that for play-ability/realism sake.

• Like 1

you can look around your goggles in real life

No, not universally. Also, you won't see crap if your eyes are accustomed to the nightvision. In addition, the green glow from the eye goggles gives away your position if you do not use the rubber pieces to "seal off" the gaps between goggle and face.

No, not universally. Also, you won't see crap if your eyes are accustomed to the nightvision. In addition, the green glow from the eye goggles gives away your position if you do not use the rubber pieces to "seal off" the gaps between goggle and face.

untrue, you can look around, the nvg push the amount of small lights in the environment  to the human optical aperture. Even my mine pnw-57 - Gen 1 im able to look around, the rubber acts more like a optimal eye relief distance for better use of it.

Added: Improvements to Night Vision grain (WIP)

B)  cant wait to see...

I literally do this for my "day" job.  You can look around the NVGs just fine, even with the green glow affecting your night vision.  Yes, it impacts your night vision, but it's not severe or debilitating if there's any kind of ambient light.

As for glow on your eyes, the effect is almost nil at a few meters.  It's often over-exaggerated in games.

• Like 1

I literally do this for my "day" job.  You can look around the NVGs just fine, even with the green glow affecting your night vision.  Yes, it impacts your night vision, but it's not severe or debilitating if there's any kind of ambient light.

As for glow on your eyes, the effect is almost nil at a few meters.  It's often over-exaggerated in games.

+1. Agree. Been using NVG and FLIR lately. Later one in a Turkish-made Cobra recon vehicle, guided cannon platform ;)

As for glow on your eyes, the effect is almost nil at a few meters.

On training patrol (no NV) i found somebody using it without using the rubberguard sitting at ~ 50m. It isn't strong in normal light, but if your eyes are highly sensitive from walking through the black woods, you def. see it much clearer.  And the range would be increased if i had worn NVG myself. Maybe it works for aircrew, i wouldnt know, but not if you crawl through the woods you are almost blind for the first few seconds when you take it off. Looking around it you just see blackness. And as it didn't work for me is said "no, not universally".

Discussion is moot anyway, since you can't render half of the screen with NV and the rest without. Unless you use jerky R2T surrounding.

On training patrol (no NV) i found somebody using it without using the rubberguard sitting at ~ 50m. It isn't strong in normal light, but if your eyes are highly sensitive from walking through the black woods, you def. see it much clearer.  And the range would be increased if i had worn NVG myself. Maybe it works for aircrew, i wouldnt know, but not if you crawl through the woods you are almost blind for the first few seconds when you take it off. Looking around it you just see blackness. And as it didn't work for me is said "no, not universally".

I gotta believe that must have been one dark-ass night.  Not that that precludes your point.  I'm not sure NVGs truly amplify tube glow at distance.  Yeah, I know it technically should, but given that it's both NVG-compliant and green, I wonder if you truly can see it at distance on NODs.  Personally, I haven't found that to be the case when looking at another person some distance away that are on NVGs, but that's also not a ultra-low-light situation.

Out of curiosity, do you know if the person you saw was using auto-gained or manual-gained NODs?  I wonder (but can't say for sure) if the manual gain tubes would cause more glow given certain conditions.  My only experience is with auto-gain tubes.

Discussion is moot anyway, since you can't render half of the screen with NV and the rest without. Unless you use jerky R2T surrounding.

Something that I really wish could be remedied, but I know...engine limits.

• Tweaked: Grain noise in the Night-Vision was improved

Very nice! :ok:

Is there a way I could easily try to add just a teeny tiny bit of blur to the NV? I assume it could improve the feeling even more but I'm not entirely sure, In photoshop it looks better IMO, but a gaming situation could be a different story.

• Like 4

Is there a way I could easily try to add just a teeny tiny bit of blur to the NV? I assume it could improve the feeling even more but I'm not entirely sure, In photoshop it looks better IMO, but a gaming situation could be a different story.

i could imagine, that some slight overall blur + depth blur (reduced depth of field) + highlight blur / blooming would work well.

• Like 1

i could imagine, that some slight overall blur + depth blur (reduced depth of field) + highlight blur / blooming would work well.

I went to the Biki and found some blur scripting commands but I'm a total ass what comes to scripting so I didn't get very far (nowhere) with it, but yea, those are basically the things I'd like to fiddle around with, the bloom and blur especially.

I went to the Biki and found some blur scripting commands but I'm a total ass what comes to scripting so I didn't get very far (nowhere) with it, but yea, those are basically the things I'd like to fiddle around with, the bloom and blur especially.

Would be interesting to see. I am currently using the Enhanced movement mod and it add a lot of blur to NV-a little overkill in my opinion but I do like some grain and blur.

Regarding the new lighting, I absolutely love it, but is anyone else finding that the moon is giving off basically no light? Even with a full moon and clear sky the night is pitch black. Impossible to move about without NV. I am used to being in unpopulated areas at night and while it can be totally black, with a full moon it should be quite bright.

Love the grain, about the moon you are right even in full moon its pitch black.

Off-topic: the moon calendar isn't quite right....

Love the grain, about the moon you are right even in full moon its pitch black.

Off-topic: the moon calendar isn't quite right....

I've noticed some issues to set the moon too, it doesn't appear as any online calendar announce it.

It isn't crazy bright but it isn't pitch black either. If you're wrong side of the hill and/or the moon is low then it can be quite dark. Too bad that my recordings are way more darker than my in-game image so I can't show what I mean, but you'll get it when you test in the editor and maybe use setAccTime.

I noticed that the moon jumps bit backward every now and then when I used setAccTime. Should it do that or does it actually do that? Maybe that jumping is causing the moon out of sync issue.

BI, could the map be darker when opened at night? Perhaps to simulate it actually being dark? Recently I've noticed opening the map at night and having the map as bright as day is quite bad. Actually hurts the eyes when you're constantly checking the map in a lots of situations.

• Like 2