bis_iceman

Visual Upgrade – Feedback

such AI logic is supposed to exist since A2: OA,

I remember I specifically requested this to be improved for stealth missions and it actually was done

Can anyone confirm this in A3?

If so, it is another example of arma awesomeness.

Sniping the searchlight from a helicopter screams AWESOME!

Can anyone confirm this in A3?

If so, it is another example of arma awesomeness.

Sniping the searchlight from a helicopter screams AWESOME!

Can confirm, just tried it with street lights. And the difference is very clear: for AI at 100m spotting me running around in complete darkness is impossible, but if I'm within 20-30m from the light, he sees me almost immediately.

Gotta try vehicles lights next.

Today, Arma has surprised me yet again. :D

I am only getting the current (live) 1.58 branch when I run my old dev branch SteamCMD script. Did something change? Where can I find the 1.6 visual upgrade branch? Thanks.

My current script is below.

@ECHO OFF
SET STEAMUN= <myusername>
SET STEAMPW= <mypassword>
SET ARMASVRPATH=D:\GameDev\Arma\ArmaDevBranch
SET ARMABRANCH=107410 -beta development
"D:\Program Files (x86)\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Arma 3 Tools\GameUpdater\steamcmd.exe" +login %STEAMUN% %STEAMPW% +force_install_dir "%ARMASVRPATH%" +app_update "%ARMABRANCH%" validate +quit
pause

I am only getting the current (live) 1.58 branch when I run my old dev branch SteamCMD script. Did something change? Where can I find the 1.6 visual upgrade branch? Thanks.

My current script is below.

@ECHO OFF
SET STEAMUN= <myusername>
SET STEAMPW= <mypassword>
SET ARMASVRPATH=D:\GameDev\Arma\ArmaDevBranch
SET ARMABRANCH=107410 -beta development
"D:\Program Files (x86)\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Arma 3 Tools\GameUpdater\steamcmd.exe" +login %STEAMUN% %STEAMPW% +force_install_dir "%ARMASVRPATH%" +app_update "%ARMABRANCH%" validate +quit
pause

Steam Libary > Arma 3 (right click) > Properties > Betas >(drop down menu) Development

close that window and it will download Dev branch  where you can check all latest addition and testing of the game

Steam Libary > Arma 3 (right click) > Properties > Betas >(drop down menu) Development

close that window and it will download Dev branch  where you can check all latest addition and testing of the game

Edit: What DJankovic said.

But that will overwrite the current Steam build, which I don't wish to do. There is typically a different code word to use for SteamCMD, so instead of

107410 -beta development

It might be something like

107410 -beta TitleOfVisualUpgrade

Or whatever. Does anyone know what the 1.6 beta code word is? Thanks

But that will overwrite the current Steam build, which I don't wish to do.

These are your options;

1.56 aka Previous Stable use keyword Arma3Legacy156 to reveal as a Beta tab option.

1.58 aka Current Stable (previously the Release Candidate which could be revealed with a keyword which no longer exists - now you just opt out of all Betas).

1.60 aka Development (includes the Visual Upgrade) accessible from the Beta tab (no keyword required).

But that will overwrite the current Steam build, which I don't wish to do. There is typically a different code word to use for SteamCMD, so instead of

107410 -beta development

Is 1.6 beta actually available yet ? You're talking about Tanoha itself?

107410 -beta development

Use Game Updater from Arma 3 tools and you don't need to override your Steam build. When you've installed it, just create a shortcut from that game folder's launcher or launch directly from the launcher.exe and you can play. With GU you can have as many copies as you want, anywhere in your computer. Check that the launcher uses and reads the mods from the same as your default one, so you won't get extra copies of your mods.

But that will overwrite the current Steam build, which I don't wish to do.

If you don't want to overwrite your current Steam build, you have to download Arma 3 Tools (Steam-> Library -> Tools -> Arma 3 Tools).

Start Arma 3 Tools and us the "Game Updater" to create a different Arma 3 directory (Arma 3 Development).

Now you can use two versions of Arma 3 (even at the same time) without overwriting your current build.

Best regards

• Like 1

My age old account from 2010 or 2009 seems to be inaccessable as my e-mail was hacked several years ago, and I cannot log in with a legacy passowrd. So I made a new one. Could any of the moderators help me out with this issue by making a manual change to my new e-mail adress in the Mod Control Panel?

Feedback on the Visual Update:

Great improvements overall. Hats off to the ocean rendering and the clouds. You guys managed to make the latter look A LOT better than in Warthunder, even though you're running an older version of TrueSky.

Something that I noticed about the colors is that they do not scale well at all across the seasons. When you tweak the colors to look good and bright in summer, they look way too bright for the winter seasons (and vice versa). But the biggest downside is that the illumination and the bright warm colors of the sun are just gone. Sunsets and sunrises look as cold as in the arctic, and the meditarrenean feel is completely gone during early morning and early night. To me personally this is, by far, the biggest issue with the visual update.

Overall, a nice change though.

I hope this helped a slight bit.

Regards,

Sgt.

Since we see now water reflections, will there be a possibility in the future for reflections off every other surfaces?

• Like 2

Since we see now water reflections, will there be a possibility in the future for reflections off every other surfaces?

Reflections off the glass or cars would be cool

Reflections off the glass or cars would be cool

Don't think this is going to happen. Screen-space reflections only work because of the rather flat angle.

thats because its on a CUP map, ported maps dont have the proper lighting configs yet

Are you sure? Then what the hell is this?

Clear weather and the sun instead of rising above sea level it seems that the world is using a alien belt that makes the sun rise like a freakin alien stuff..

Is this some joke or some beta testing? I hope is not the final product because it sucks badly.

ULTRA 12000 VD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmhJo0Po0tM

Clear weather and the sun instead of rising above sea level it seems that the world is using a alien belt that makes the sun rise like a freakin alien stuff..

Is this some joke or some beta testing? I hope is not the final product because it sucks badly.

ULTRA 12000 VD.

yeah, please give us a draw distance so we can see the curvature of the earth! lazy devs ;)

I think you're just seeing the horizon of the skybox.

Devs said that the sun disappear/appear at the level of your point of view. If you want to see the sun going down to sea level, watch it from sea level.

ULTRA 12000 VD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmhJo0Po0tM

I'm fairly certain it's on Dev Branch (and will be for some time) for a reason. No need to over react, it's not like it's being release tomorrow. But yes, it still needs a bit of tweaking, and with feedback, i'm pretty sure the Dev's will have it sorted by that time.

And ask for other players:

Could you check the night vision? For me its overbrighted.

I've started to re-play the campaign and now I am stuck at the second mission (Common Enemy) of the Adapt chapter because I can't see anything with the night vision. I got killed by the CSAT patrol. They see me but I can't see them.

I have made some screenshots to show the difference of the level of brightness of the night vision in the latest development branch (first picture) and stable branch (second picture): http://imgur.com/a/zv7Og

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHtdPiH6D0Q

I'm fairly certain it's on Dev Branch (and will be for some time) for a reason. No need to over react, it's not like it's being release tomorrow. But yes, it still needs a bit of tweaking, and with feedback, i'm pretty sure the Dev's will have it sorted by that time.

VD 12000
Objects VD 12000
Every setting maxed.
The video is a bit laggy because I am using a Celeron @ 3.0 Ghz, 4GB DDR2 with a HD 5870.

Anyway, I see the issue now. Its view distance,
12000 is not enough, we should have at least 24000 VD (also for objects).
C'mon, if a freakin 10 years old hardware supports 12000 VD, for sure a 2016 hardware will support easily 24000.
Can we have 24000 VD?
For the awesome visual upgrade will be a freakin blast.

VD 12000
Objects VD 12000
Every setting maxed.
The video is a bit laggy because I am using a Celeron @ 3.0 Ghz, 4GB DDR2 with a HD 5870.

Anyway, I see the issue now. Its view distance,
12000 is not enough, we should have at least 24000 VD (also for objects).
C'mon, if a freakin 10 years old hardware supports 12000 VD, for sure a 2016 hardware will support easily 24000.
Can we have 24000 VD?
For the awesome visual upgrade will be a freakin blast.

I always assumed the greater the distance to be drawn the bigger impact you have on frame rates, and you're saying you have everything maxed out ? I'm curious as to what your average FPS is during combat ?

VD 12000
Objects VD 12000
Every setting maxed.

Why do you keep posting this bullshit?

Everyone can see the bald mountains in the horizon when you land, the ones that have nothing on them, so the object VD is at max.5500m IF you have the overall VD at 12000m, also the disappearing shadows as you roll your Hornet on the runway shows you aren't using maxed 200m shadow distance. What else is downgraded and why not tell us? Why are you a liar? Do you think you are being funny? Or helping the devs somehow?

• Like 8