bis_iceman

Visual Upgrade – Feedback

Nick couldn't have been chosen more appropriate for this post :rofl: well done

On 15.10.2017 at 1:02 PM, FirstPanic said:

Just a short comment: 40% player loss in the last 10 month (see official Steam statistcs)... maybe it's time to do different.

FirstPanic

Pub server players running off for the next shingy things (PUBG, ...).

• Like 1

On ‎12‎-‎10‎-‎2017 at 2:05 PM, dwarden said:

i know it's been ages since i said WIP and same about the documentation

i just want to say it's not abandoned yet (i know enduring the wait is unbearable but i can't speed this up)

Thank you. Appreciatie the response and that you guys haven't abandoned it yet.

well, sad to see bi doesn't respond to anyone, i think we're stuck with this "new" lightning downgrade, was browsing my old videos yesterday and found this (old 2013 video):

man i miss those old night mission lightning (lights/sky/smoke/non oversaturated picture), since the visual downgrade i instant skip/don't play any night mission.

edit: i've not seen the quote of dwarden... but hey still 6month and nothing really new about it (except for WIP).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, yxman said:

well, sad to see bi doesn't respond to anyone, 

Bahahahaha  the post right above yours is someone thanking bis for responding. 

Yeah alls you have shown is what is the point responding when some numptys don't even bother to read the response anyways. 

When Arma 3 first came out, the lighting was okay, but I still prefered the arma 2 lighting... but damn this new lighting is absolutely horrible, too bright, "shiny" and "washed out"... it looks too "artificial", not like true warm sun light...

1 hour ago, coffeeshock said:

When Arma 3 first came out, the lighting was okay, but I still prefered the arma 2 lighting... but damn this new lighting is absolutely horrible, too bright, "shiny" and "washed out"... it looks too "artificial", not like true warm sun light...

Did you try tinkering with gamma, brightness, saturation...? Even from your GPU's display settings; color temp, hue and all that.

I've managed to set it to much more pleasing image than what it originally was. At least I think I got it closer to original A3 and A2.

I would love it if they just went back to the old graphics. As of right now, I'm still trying to figure out how I can play the pre-1.60 version.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ZackTactical34 said:

I would love it if they just went back to the old graphics. As of right now, I'm still trying to figure out how I can play the pre-1.60 version.

I wish Bohemia would release detailed information about the lighting, so that people could mod it to their liking. I hate the night lighting in the post-1.60 versions, I'd love to see it corrected, but sadly, no real documentation means way too much trial-and-error.

• Like 2

After seeing this video from above, i really dont understand, why this whole Update was so necessary. For Tanoa? So if someone didnt buyed APEX, he got all stuff messed up. Those who have apex, have ONE map correctly lighted, and rest messed up. I dont get it - they sacrifice all modded terrains, 2 vanilla maps to get ONE (Tanoa) working? Who had such idea? 

• Like 1

On 1.11.2017 at 11:48 AM, peegee said:

Did you try tinkering with gamma, brightness, saturation...? Even from your GPU's display settings; color temp, hue and all that.

I've managed to set it to much more pleasing image than what it originally was. At least I think I got it closer to original A3 and A2.

Yes you can achieve a nice look for yourself, dark nights and camo- colour schemes fitting the environtment...but then...in MP someone can boost everything up or down to a bright plastic soldier look so that vehicles and units stand out from terrain...or for a makeshift night vision.

Back then in ArmA II the Devs even limited the abilities to tinker with alpha and brightness to stop that exploit for DAYZ. Another big issue still is that the camo schemes of uniforms, gear and vehicles do not fit the environment colours anymore...the NATO, CSAT and AAF Camos look like spring or Winter camoflage for now. Just look at the MX rifle...they are ivory white now. Everything that was coyote or khaki-brown before 1.60 is too bright now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vasily.B said:

After seeing this video from above, i really dont understand, why this whole Update was so necessary. For Tanoa? So if someone didnt buyed APEX, he got all stuff messed up. Those who have apex, have ONE map correctly lighted, and rest messed up. I dont get it - they sacrifice all modded terrains, 2 vanilla maps to get ONE (Tanoa) working? Who had such idea? 

Thankfully, we have videos of what Arma 3 looked like before 1.60 and can ask the developers to bring back certain features that were better(or completely overhaul it).

• Like 1

If you get your settings correct, the game looks good, but you do need both a daytime setting, and a nighttime setting. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ZackTactical34 said:

Thankfully, we have videos of what Arma 3 looked like before 1.60 and can ask the developers to bring back certain features that were better(or completely overhaul it).

The only possible overhaul would be a complete retexture of all old assets to correlate with the new lighting. I don't think this wil happen. But you can clearly See that APEX arid Hex and Khaki stuff fits much better then the old ones.

Its not only about retexturing some models. Its about the darkness of regular shadows and the glowrange of lights in the night. The shadows arent as dark anymore as shown in the video above. And try using a chemlight now, you can barely see it 1m (even with nightvision its rarely visible). Same goes for lamps etc. that dont shine so far anymore at night.

• Like 1

Posting videos is pointless, I can make 10 videos all with different lighting, and over or undersaturated colors by just adjusting the ingame video settings. 

Now if you want to make arguments saying that you need to turn the contrast, and brightness down during the day, and way up at night, that is a legitimate point. 

4 hours ago, stburr91 said:

Posting videos is pointless, I can make 10 videos all with different lighting, and over or undersaturated colors by just adjusting the ingame video settings. 

Now if you want to make arguments saying that you need to turn the contrast, and brightness down during the day, and way up at night, that is a legitimate point. 

You know nothing John Snow.

The above video is a perfect example what happened to the shadows ingame. And no there is no workaround with adjusting your own settings. Lots of different mapmakers tried to get those old (in my opinion) more realistic shadows back as the new lighting destroyed the atmosphere of their maps...and suffered. Their only hope was the promise of a lighting guide from BI, until that was released and only contained waterlight and some nonsense. So teams like 2017mod or XCam that had realy great looking maps in the working stopped their projects and left... and these where guys that have been here since OFP and know their scripts and settings pretty well. And BI does... nothing...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cosmo_D41 said:

You know nothing John Snow.

The above video is a perfect example what happened to the shadows ingame. And no there is no workaround with adjusting your own settings. Lots of different mapmakers tried to get those old (in my opinion) more realistic shadows back as the new lighting destroyed the atmosphere of their maps...and suffered. Their only hope was the promise of a lighting guide from BI, until that was released and only contained waterlight and some nonsense. So teams like 2017mod or XCam that had realy great looking maps in the working stopped their projects and left... and these where guys that have been here since OFP and know their scripts and settings pretty well. And BI does... nothing...

Agree... this new lighting destroyed most of the community content look and feel... means... the fun.

A solution would be to add a switch for "old lightning" and "new lightning".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FirstPanic said:

Agree... this new lighting destroyed most of the community content look and feel... means... the fun.

A solution would be to add a switch for "old lightning" and "new lightning".

Thats not how it works, BI is (rightfully IMO) hesitant about this type of option. Each option has to be updated and checked by the devs, whenever something is changed about the game. Having too many options slows down development. 

BI has painted itself in a nasty corner with creating special (?) lighting for Tanoa, which doesn't fit the other maps. On top of that, post-tanoa assets are configured for the new lighting whereas older assets only look good with the old lighting. So even if the lighting is changed, some assets will always look bad.

I hope that we get the option to change the lighting ourselves (with documention from BIS). On top of that, a number of assets need to be tweaked. I've tweaked some of them myself (making the mx rifles darker for instance). However, some assets cannot be retextured, so here is an opportunity for BI to make more assets retexturable so we can help updating the assets if BI can't/won't it themselves.

On 11/6/2017 at 2:42 PM, joostsidy said:

Thats not how it works, BI is (rightfully IMO) hesitant about this type of option. Each option has to be updated and checked by the devs, whenever something is changed about the game. Having too many options slows down development. 

Make it an official unofficial addon then like with the legacy fatigue. 

Problem is, that it probably will suffer the same fate as the legacy fatigue, ending up in a broken, abandoned addon.

Alternatively, put out decent documentation on how the lighting config works and let the community do it. 

Considering the lack of proper documentation on the lighting, I would wager to say it is a problem of "not a priority". Just like with decent PhysX documentation, they rather leave the detective work of finding out how things work to the community. It's been like this almost forever. Sometimes, documentation becomes available, but more often it is left to be found out by us.

This is, of course, a legitimate reason; however I find it rather sad since such a huge part of Arma is the modding community.

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

Hey guys, just found a mod that lets you adjust the colors of Arma 3: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=649832908

Personally, I use the RC Cool setting.

Disclaimer: I don't know how well this mod works in multiplayer or any bugs in particular. Just tried it out today.

Edited by ZackTactical34
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ZackTactical34 said:

Hey guys, just found a mod that lets you adjust the colors of Arma 3: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=649832908

Personally, I use the RC Cool setting.

Disclaimer: I don't know how well this mod works in multiplayer or any bugs in particular. Just tried it out today.

HOLY SH.....T! Finally one guy, overtaken whole team of developers and fixed (sort of it) main issue since last 10 updates...... Without documentation, just with his faith it can be done. Great job Bohemia, or maybe shame?

It pity that this mod broke RHS optics :/ I cant play A3 without RHS.....

35 minutes ago, Vasily.B said:

HOLY SH.....T! Finally one guy, overtaken whole team of developers and fixed (sort of it) main issue since last 10 updates...... Without documentation, just with his faith it can be done. Great job Bohemia, or maybe shame?

It pity that this mod broke RHS optics :/ I cant play A3 without RHS.....

Thanks, I guess. :) Although that mod has nothing to do with lighting configs, it's just the old color correction post processing.

It was actually made before the visual upgrade, after which I didn't really see the point anymore because to me the game looked good enough without it. BI even added a similar contrast/brightness/saturation controls to the vanilla game.

Since then I haven't really touched the mod, but I think I could update it for the RHS optics if they're still an issue.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Greenfist said:

Thanks, I guess. :) Although that mod has nothing to do with lighting configs, it's just the old color correction post processing.

It was actually made before the visual upgrade, after which I didn't really see the point anymore because to me the game looked good enough without it. BI even added a similar contrast/brightness/saturation controls to the vanilla game.

Since then I haven't really touched the mod, but I think I could update it for the RHS optics if they're still an issue.

Yes, but BIS havent added any single color correction (green, red, blue) and ready presets, so you can set up A2 OA look.