bis_iceman

Visual Upgrade – Feedback

46 minutes ago, Alwarren said:

That red car is a vanilla asset, and still it is way too visible compared to the surroundings.

Well thats the point - arma vanilla assetts had/have poor consistency when it comes to materials and texture colors. Because previously (with old lighting) it didnt look different. So artists could just be very lax and adjust "by eyeball" to get it somewhere close. Instead of strict rules (e.g. wood specular = 32 grey base value with this and that rvmat setting). So its not guaranteed that 2 different artists used the same/comparable values for a similar material. It could also simply be the shader itself (vehicles use supershader, trees/ground uses different shader) So before anything is done to the lighting balancing, this needs to be checked / corrected. Otherwise we just run in circles.

Even with APEX we had this... the ak had a crazy amount of shiny compared to the rest of the weapons.

Uploading GTA video, i was meaning brightness of night, illuminationf of objects, etc.

For me, the new night lighting is the most glaring step back in the game's development since the alpha. Night time lighting used to be Arma's feather in the cap, and now shadows are just a soup of black, which is not realistic at all. In fact, I find it easier now to detect enemy infantry since their weapons glow like Christmas trees due to completely off contrast.

I still play the game, but my enjoyment has diminished considerably due to this single factor.

• Like 5

Something like special filter just for tanoa, and total delete contrast/lighting/saturation changes from 1.62 would be best thing they can do as i see.

• Like 4

On 22.1.2017 at 2:42 PM, Variable said:

I still play the game, but my enjoyment has diminished considerably due to this single factor.

this! i'm lurking every day in devbranch changelogs but still no update about this whole mess.

2 hours ago, yxman said:

this! i'm lurking every day in devbranch changelogs but still no update about this whole mess.

That is yours and several others opinions, however many more seem very happy with the "splendid" upgrade.

Like most things in life, people don't like change but after a while they get used to it, and soon thereafter everyone forgets what the issue is......apart from those who are totally against change ! :smileee:

I highly doubt the Devs will revert back to pre 1.58 in terms of visuals.

you are right about that change thing, ppl don't like changes ;)

not all of the visual upgrade is bad but the broken part makes it bad.

vanilla:

- night missions (unplayable without nv)

- moonlight/stars

- light sources (lamps/gun attachment)

- chem lights

- flares

- bright stuff like halls/houses/street stuff at day

- glowing weapons

- daytimes(date) ingame complete out of reality 0500 in the morning looks like 1200 etc...

- lod popping (gras etc)

and those bugs/game breakers were not present before the visual upgrade (june 2016) so i think complaining about stuff that is broken for over a half year is ok.

• Like 7

I think a good portion of these issues can be fixed by redoing the rvmats especially the "shiny" weapons, the trouble is there's only a couple of guys left working on all these issues, so I've been told, so they have massive workload, and a scope/plan of work, as to what's a priority and what's not, even as an addon maker myself, there are times when I get frustrated when things don't work the way I want them to, I can leave it and walk away for a few days........these guys can't!! :smileee:

• Like 1

On 01.02.2017 at 3:31 PM, yxman said:

vanilla:

- night missions (unplayable without nv)

- moonlight/stars

- light sources (lamps/gun attachment)

- chem lights

- flares

- bright stuff like halls/houses/street stuff at day

- glowing weapons

- daytimes(date) ingame complete out of reality 0500 in the morning looks like 1200 etc...

- lod popping (gras etc)

Laser pointer and IR grenade are also broken.

3 minutes ago, fabio_chavez said:

the developers abandoned this thread.

It's still February, last post was made just over 2 weeks ago. Hardly abandoned.

32 minutes ago, 1212PDMCDMPPM said:

The last developper answer was October the 5th if I didn't missed one.

Perhaps they decided to create the ambient occlusion thread which is really still part of the visual update, and move away from this one? good point though.

The issue is that the ambient occlusion is just a subpart of the visual upgrade. Some map makers are still waiting for more documentations about the new lighting parameters.

And even the thread name hasn't been corrected ! ;) 

• Like 4

For people who miss the old lighting of Altis. You might want to try this in your init.sqf or in a script. It's a subtle effect, but I think an improvement. In the New Lighting, green color seems more saturated than other colors. This script equalizes the RGB saturation values, making Altis look more dry and warm and makes the greenery stick less out from the terrain.

// Color correction Altis
// ----------------------
_name = "ColorCorrections";
_priority = 1500;
_effect = 
[
	[1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 0], 
	[0, 0, 0, 1], 
	[0.5, 0.5, 0.5, 0] // 0.299, 0.587, 0.114, 0 // Equalized desaturation factor
];

_handle = ppEffectCreate [_name, _priority];
_handle ppEffectEnable true;
_handle ppEffectAdjust _effect;
_handle ppEffectCommit 0;

• Like 1

On 2/1/2017 at 8:58 AM, road runner said:

That is yours and several others opinions, however many more seem very happy with the "splendid" upgrade.

Like most things in life, people don't like change but after a while they get used to it, and soon thereafter everyone forgets what the issue is......apart from those who are totally against change ! :smileee:

Wow, that was a patronizing answer. I would appreciate if representatives of BI, even if it's "only" moderators, would actually respect the customers of their product a bit more. 

FYI, I don't want them to go back to the old lighting, I like the current one, but the night lighting is just too damn high contrast, as I have shown previously with the screenshots. It's just "funny" how people always find excuses for this kind of misconfiguration. If the night lighting did have just a little less contrast, it would be fine, but no, this issue is ignored by most, or talked down by some, and excused by others. 

• Like 4

On 1/22/2017 at 0:13 AM, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

I don't see how posting a video of GTA is helpful.

It's not. In fact, the video also completely misses the point, the only common denominator is the night time. But my shot was in the forest at night, and the video shows a scene with lots of artificial light. In other words, they have nothing else in common but the night. Of course, with a lot of artificial light sources, the contrast will be much higher, but the point is not lighted night scenes, but completely dark ones.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Varanon said:

Wow, that was a patronizing answer. I would appreciate if representatives of BI, even if it's "only" moderators, would actually respect the customers of their product a bit more. 

FYI, I don't want them to go back to the old lighting, I like the current one, but the night lighting is just too damn high contrast, as I have shown previously with the screenshots. It's just "funny" how people always find excuses for this kind of misconfiguration. If the night lighting did have just a little less contrast, it would be fine, but no, this issue is ignored by most, or talked down by some, and excused by others. 

Moderator or not, I'm a paying customer just like yourself, and I'm entitled to my opinion every bit as much as the next person, I've also agreed on several occasions the current night lighting is woefully short of what it was before. 

What is patronizing about saying that other people seem more than happy with the splendid upgrade?
It's neither patronozing to state people set in their ways don't like change, having been one of the old school, I soon came to realise, going backwards isn't the solution.

On 2/1/2017 at 8:58 AM, road runner said:

To quote Wikipedia: Citation needed.

I frequently hear "the silent majority" or "most people are...". Wikipedia calls them "weasel words". They don't say anything. And they are irrelevant. There are obvious flaws with the visual upgrade. I am mostly happy with it, but I think the night lighting (as I have pointed out repeatedly) is way too dark and the contrast between bright and shadow is overexaggerated. I know how a cloudy night in a forest looks like, but as soon as there is moon and/or starlight the lighting becomes much more bright. The current night lighting means you see nothing at all without NVG's. That might be okay for some people, but it isn't if you want to play a guerrilla mission, or Cold War, or Iron Front/WW2. 

Now, any amount of "splendid" does not compensate for an OBVIOUS flaw that renders a significant amount of missions and scenarios virtually unplayable.It also does not take away the right of people to rightfully complain about it.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Alwarren said:

To quote Wikipedia: Citation needed.

I frequently hear "the silent majority" or "most people are...". Wikipedia calls them "weasel words". They don't say anything. And they are irrelevant. There are obvious flaws with the visual upgrade. I am mostly happy with it, but I think the night lighting (as I have pointed out repeatedly) is way too dark and the contrast between bright and shadow is overexaggerated. I know how a cloudy night in a forest looks like, but as soon as there is moon and/or starlight the lighting becomes much more bright. The current night lighting means you see nothing at all without NVG's. That might be okay for some people, but it isn't if you want to play a guerrilla mission, or Cold War, or Iron Front/WW2. 

Now, any amount of "splendid" does not compensate for an OBVIOUS flaw that renders a significant amount of missions and scenarios virtually unplayable.It also does not take away the right of people to rightfully complain about it.

You're absolutely correct.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, road runner said:

Moderator or not, I'm a paying customer just like yourself, and I'm entitled to my opinion every bit as much as the next person, I've also agreed on several occasions the current night lighting is woefully short of what it was before. 

What is patronizing about saying that other people seem more than happy with the splendid upgrade?
It's neither patronozing to state people set in their ways don't like change, having been one of the old school, I soon came to realise, going backwards isn't the solution.

I don't want to restrict your ability to speak your mind. Quite the contrary.

But you did comment on people "not wanting to change" etc. That in my book is patronizing enough. 

• Like 1

I'd be more than happy to be able to have a "Moon's out, Goons out" proper night lighting too

1 minute ago, road runner said:

You're absolutely correct.

I mean, don't get me wrong. I know there is always going to be people that do not like one or the other change, and it is impossible to please everyone. However, in this case, I think the objections to this specific issue is justified, as I have tried to argue before.

• Like 1

On 22.12.2016 at 8:00 PM, fabio_chavez said:

googlava, can you please confirm that it is still possible to load old obloha.p3d and old horizont.p3d into the game to use old configs and sky textures?

i cant seem to get it to work anymore.

i take this as a no... thanks for all your support for users trying to fix your lighting bohemia interactive, bye.

the lighting update and its development (lack of) is really one of the saddest part of A3 unfortunately :(

if we at least could get the internal diag command(s) to make live tweaking and imports from the excel sheet..

• Like 1