bis_iceman

Visual Upgrade – Feedback

The other thing as well as vehicle lights, is chem lights.After the visual upgrade they became totally useless-they illuminate nothing and are impossible to see from the air-even when dropped with a smoke grenade. Luckily ACE has made new very bright chemlights which work really well-hopefully the base game can do something similar soon.

• Like 8

after lurking this thread, reading through sitreps/spotreps, watching videos back before 1.60, checking my screenshots this reply.

so its now nearly 6month till the visual downgrade was released, and its still in the same shape as to dev-branch times.

stuff that should be fixed (talking about vanilla arma altis/stratis):

- night missions (unplayable without nv)

- moonlight/stars

- light sources (lamps/gun attachment)

- chem lights

- flares

- bright stuff like halls/houses/street stuff 

- daytimes(date) ingame complete out of reality 0500 morning looks like 1200 etc...

- lod popping (gras etc)

my opinion:

revert the visuals back to 1.58, move tanoa to /dev/null

• Like 3

i agreed with the moonlight, have full moon and im almost blind , a pity the blue moon shimmer in older version looks so much better.

• Like 1

i agreed with the moonlight, have full moon and im almost blind , a pity the blue moon shimmer in older version looks so much better.

It depends alot on the time - at 22:00 or something like that you see barely anything, at 2:00 it gets better, but only if you have objects around you. One of the reasons why it appears so dark is that the ground swallows the light almost entirely. The ground is almost completely black in most cases. That's why it also is so hard to navigate if you have no light-receiving objects around you, as you only see black.

• Like 2

Is it just my imagination or is the full moon near the horizon much more brightening than before? I swear it used to be pitch black when the moon was this low... :huh:

http://imgur.com/a/oXwrQ

June 10th 2035 2200h
  • Like 1

Is it just my imagination or is the full moon near the horizon much more brightening than before? I swear it used to be pitch black when the moon was this low... :huh:

June 10th 2035 2200h

nah, its too dark :D /s

For me, am I wrong? - The result of the visual update is:

1. I see so many user made maps (all maps?) with aggressive light. If there's no clouds, there's aggro sunlight as if I am somewhere in an african desert. Houses easily turn white. Takistan is pretty white....

2. Not sure about this one. I seem to see a kind of fog and haze level in the distance much more than before and visuals feel like a gamma of 1.x with x>0 is applied.

Thing is, against the light, there's not much I can do. I try to workaround with ArmAs PPeffects (like e.g. the GUI for it, @recolor mod) - but aggressive light stays aggressive light after all.

I meanwhile prefer to play everything with cloud coverage > setovercast 0.75.

For me, am I wrong? - The result of the visual update is:

1. I see so many user made maps (all maps?) with aggressive light. If there's no clouds, there's aggro sunlight as if I am somewhere in an african desert. Houses easily turn white. Takistan is pretty white....

2. Not sure about this one. I seem to see a kind of fog and haze level in the distance much more than before and visuals feel like a gamma of 1.x with x>0 is applied.

Thing is, against the light, there's not much I can do. I try to workaround with ArmAs PPeffects (like e.g. the GUI for it, @recolor mod) - but aggressive light stays aggressive light after all.

I meanwhile prefer to play everything with cloud coverage > setovercast 0.75.

Same for me.

The aggressive light setting is absurd, place yourself under some trees, then look at some buildings that are under clear sky during the day, they seem to lose almost all color and seem to shine/glow, no matter the surface material, yet they seem to reflect mostly grey light.

JXZjL5m.jpg

HDR gone bonkers.

Then there's the haze.

It's very obvious when running high view distances (4000+),

but visible for pretty much any setting.

Everything that's more than 1km away seems to be drowned in some weird blue haze effect.

Looks like fog 0.05 or something, always present, no matter the weather settings or daytime.

http://imgur.com/a/F6Bgn

That's how the Australia map looked like one year ago, 40km view distance:

EReWY5k.jpg

Cheers

• Like 1

Same for me.

The aggressive light setting is absurd, place yourself under some trees, then look at some buildings that are under clear sky during the day, they seem to lose almost all color and seem to shine/glow, no matter the surface material, yet they seem to reflect mostly grey light.

HDR gone bonkers.

Then there's the haze.

It's very obvious when running high view distances (4000+),

but visible for pretty much any setting.

Everything that's more than 1km away seems to be drowned in some weird blue haze effect.

Looks like fog 0.05 or something, always present, no matter the weather settings or daytime.

That's how the Australia map looked like one year ago, 40km view distance:

Cheers

Setting the HDR higher fixes it though:

xb7Z09x.jpg

And the haze is too much IMO too, but a custom map is not that good example because you can remove the haze with mods:

R86bQ1R.jpg

Setting the HDR higher fixes it though

These are my settings:

http://imgur.com/a/7v9sL

Can't go higher than standard with HDR.

Terrain somehow keeps jumping from Ultra to High/Very High after some missions, no idea why.

Cheers

• Like 1

These are my settings:

Can't go higher than standard with HDR.

Terrain somehow keeps jumping from Ultra to High after some missions, no idea why.

Cheers

That's weird. On my system, "standard" is the highest it goes and I haven't noticed the greyness with it at all.

such a weird thing to do to screw up the lighting of all maps except tanoa and the greek islands, and just be silent about it.

Grumpy Old Man - what PC are you using, so you are able to turn that settings? I have brand new I7 (and rest of my specs in signature) and it runs slow as hell....

Setting the HDR higher fixes it though:

*SNIP*

And the haze is too much IMO too, but a custom map is not that good example because you can remove the haze with mods:

*SNIP*

Any idea what mods/ settings were used for that last picture? Looks really nice.

• Like 1

Any idea what mods/ settings were used for that last picture? Looks really nice.

It was just my config replacement test for Altis, not an actual public mod.

Grumpy Old Man - what PC are you using, so you are able to turn that settings? I have brand new I7 (and rest of my specs in signature) and it runs slow as hell....

Bought my rig back in summer 2013 I think, i7 4770k @ 4.55Ghz, 16GB RAM 1600Mhz (could have bought 2400 but didn't make much difference for me back then), a evga gtx 770 classified 4gb and 3 separate SSDs for OS, programs and games (have it set up like that since SSDs became affordable, pretty nice having your PC boot within 5-7 seconds)

Thought about upgrading to a 6700k and a gtx 1080 this christmas, performance difference for arma alone would be insignificant and probably not worth it,

most other games I play run just fine at max, so I guess I'll skip that generation, heh.

Cheers

Bought my rig back in summer 2013 I think, i7 4770k @ 4.55Ghz, 16GB RAM 1600Mhz (could have bought 2400 but didn't make much difference for me back then), a evga gtx 770 classified 4gb and 3 separate SSDs for OS, programs and games (have it set up like that since SSDs became affordable, pretty nice having your PC boot within 5-7 seconds)

Thought about upgrading to a 6700k and a gtx 1080 this christmas, performance difference for arma alone would be insignificant and probably not worth it,

most other games I play run just fine at max, so I guess I'll skip that generation, heh.

Cheers

Damm, when i set your settings on my pc, specially FSAA just killed the game. Only small scenarios was possible to play, in some 40 vs 40  (SP) i had 17-20 FPS.

Are you sure there's nothing running in the background?

Depending on what addons/scripts are running during the mission the impact on fps can be humongous.

During firefights fps tends to get down a bit, I'm usually playing my own missions, firefights where 80 units are involved at once don't happen in my missions.

Ever.

Makes no sense from a gameplay point of view, I prefer quick missions where tactics and approach of AO + execution of mission decide the outcome. I'm using fired eventhandlers to make all units aware of the firer, so once you fire a shot, there's no turning back. Also I'm running a few FSMs that determine if and how AI will engage the players, flank them or rather garrison inside a suitable building while sending one unit with a DMM rifle on overwatch, share enemy info amongst other friendly groups and adjust tactics according to that. Most of the time they only engage if the favors are on their side, you'd not hear a single shot of them until they're ready to roll, making engagements against as few as 4-5 fireteams incredibly tough.

Cheers

Are you sure there's nothing running in the background?

Depending on what addons/scripts are running during the mission the impact on fps can be humongous.

During firefights fps tends to get down a bit, I'm usually playing my own missions, firefights where 80 units are involved at once don't happen in my missions.

Ever.

Makes no sense from a gameplay point of view, I prefer quick missions where tactics and approach of AO + execution of mission decide the outcome. I'm using fired eventhandlers to make all units aware of the firer, so once you fire a shot, there's no turning back. Also I'm running a few FSMs that determine if and how AI will engage the players, flank them or rather garrison inside a suitable building while sending one unit with a DMM rifle on overwatch, share enemy info amongst other friendly groups and adjust tactics according to that. Most of the time they only engage if the favors are on their side, you'd not hear a single shot of them until they're ready to roll, making engagements against as few as 4-5 fireteams incredibly tough.

Cheers

Nothing runing in the background, i'm even disconecting the Wi-fi. I usually make battles with simple missions - take this place, repel enemy counter attack, or defend position. Fighting agains 12 enemies is not fun to me, as i finish mission in 5 minuts.

It was just my config replacement test for Altis, not an actual public mod.

"Config replacement", does that mean, it can not be done via whatsoever scripting comand, right?

"Config replacement", does that mean, it can not be done via whatsoever scripting comand, right?

Yeah, the haze settings are in the world config.

• Like 1

Yeah, the haze settings are in the world config.

Now a surprising question follows: How can I change the world config? Implanting a cfgWorlds sections into whatever missions config.cpp? Google is not helpful, world/map things seem to be a big secret :)

Also I found this:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3:_Visual_Upgrade#Haze_Setup

Now a surprising question follows: How can I change the world config? Implanting a cfgWorlds sections into whatever missions config.cpp? Google is not helpful, world/map things seem to be a big secret :)

Also I found this:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3:_Visual_Upgrade#Haze_Setup

No, you need an actual mod to replace configs,a mission won't do. I'm sure there's a bunch of tutorials out there on how to do that.

So extract the Altis config and find the haze values to mess around with. I can't remember what I used on that previous image.

No, you need an actual mod to replace configs,a mission won't do. I'm sure there's a bunch of tutorials out there on how to do that.

So extract the Altis config and find the haze values to mess around with. I can't remember what I used on that previous image.

Oops, I meant a mod. I'm currently trying to understand

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/191021-160-terrain-config-update-example/

I already managed to implant some values into Stratis config (checked via config viewer), but didn't see a difference yet. Don't know what the haze removal variables are.

Not yet knowing what I am doing there.

class CfgWorlds {
   class DefaultLighting;
   class DefaultWorld;
   class CAWorld:DefaultWorld { class HDRNewPars; };
   class Stratis:CAWorld {};

class Stratis_TORT: Stratis {
      test = 2;
      hazeBaseHeight = 0;
      hazeBaseBeta0 = 0;
      hazeDensityDecay = 0;
      hazeDistCoef = 0;
      skyColorInfluencesFogColor = true;
      class HDRNewPars:HDRNewPars { tonemapMethod = 1; };
   };
};

Possibility to set up haze in weather parameters would be nice. In hot summer days the haze can be surprisingly strong.

• Like 1