bis_iceman

Visual Upgrade – Feedback

This could be sun-burn?

Perhaps more serious since the change in tropical climatic, sorry Visual Upgrade.

Haha unfortunately not. I think the jungle would offer more shade than the more barren landscape of Altis and Stratis.

If the skin was just a bit darker I would not mind, but its definitely too red, and that I do mind. The bottom color squares are corrected for lightness of the color, so compensated for 'sunburn', and you can clearly see that the left color contains too much red for a skin tone.

In game it's even more noticeable in comparison with colors of the surroundings and different lighting conditions.

One problem is showing quite prominent with night lighting. The first thign that goes in night sight is colours, everything shifts to blue/greyscale.

But in ArmA II, espacially Tanoa you can see red and green colours on the ground and from vegetation eben when it's well into dusk and light is already to low.

you can see this by turning up brightness and gamma in game. In ArmA II doing so only made the blue/grey scale brighter but in ArmA II it brings the colours back too.

• Like 5

My fellow BI soldiers, 

Please fix the light brightness issue.

Light-emitting objects still produce tiny amount of light.

repro:

Create zeus module in editor

Run mission

change time to night

spawn flare

spawn campfire

this is 4+ months now

• Like 8

My fellow BI soldiers,

Please fix the light brightness issue.

Light-emitting objects still produce tiny amount of light.

I agree, these days I moved through a group of trees at night and suddenly I heard (!) a camp fire right next to me. I didn't see a thing before that, only noticed it when I heard it. Looked at it and "Oh, a fire." ☺

This was on CUP Sahrani, but it's the same on Stratis and Altis. Didn't test Tanoa.

My brightness settings are normal, the cross isn't visible, the tick is barely visible (or the other way around, I don't remember, I'm not at the PC atm).

My overall opinion is that the visual update looks cool, the colors are more powerful. As it looks for me, they increased the contrast a bit, but the night colors became too dark and light sources do not shine enough.

This breaks my night cutscenes, as my background light sources are useless now and this is something where I have to say this should not happen on stable at all! I could update my projects, put more lights in, but then again BI changes it again and I can patch again...

Edit: To be honest, I don't know which of both is the case though: Are the nights too dark or the lights too weak? I'd rather say it's the latter.

Watched the video, this should be implemented yesterday.

Chemlights are waaaay to bright. Remember those were made for position marking, and checking cave deeps, not to light such big space around. Flares look perfect on the movie,

I agree, these days I moved through a group of trees at night and suddenly I heard (!) a camp fire right next to me. I didn't see a thing before that, only noticed it when I heard it. Looked at it and "Oh, a fire." ☺

This was on CUP Sahrani, but it's the same on Stratis and Altis. Didn't test Tanoa.

My brightness settings are normal, the cross isn't visible, the tick is barely visible (or the other way around, I don't remember, I'm not at the PC atm).

My overall opinion is that the visual update looks cool, the colors are more powerful. As it looks for me, they increased the contrast a bit, but the night colors became too dark and light sources do not shine enough.

This breaks my night cutscenes, as my background light sources are useless now and this is something where I have to say this should not happen on stable at all! I could update my projects, put more lights in, but then again BI changes it again and I can patch again...

Edit: To be honest, I don't know which of both is the case though: Are the nights too dark or the lights too weak? I'd rather say it's the latter.

Light brightness in config of light-emitting objects is at like 0.001

wonder if anyone noticed on today's DEV changelog:

•Tweaked: The light settings of the nights on Altis and Stratis are now more consistent with Tanoa

;)

• Like 6

•Tweaked: The light settings of the nights on Altis and Stratis are now more consistent with Tanoa
;)

So flares are now useless on all three islands?

;)

Cheers

• Like 4

;)

What does that have to do with illumination being pretty much non-existent?

So you fixed flares, flaming barrels, campfires, light sticks and every other light sources that broke with Apex?

I mean don't get me wrong, I'm happy you guys put some work into the night lighting (I realize you said before you couldn't promise. So thanks for coming though). I just fail to see how adjusting the night lighting on Altis/Stratis in any way addresses illumination from objects.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious as you seem pretty confident in your reply. Perhaps these configs should be used by the CUP team and other map makers because the new values directly effect the way light sources glow???

So you fixed flares, flaming barrels, campfires, light sticks and every other light sources that broke with Apex?

it propably hasnt occured to you, but not everything is broken by accident. Lights are giant performance hogs, and in every major FPS the dynamic lights per gamelevel have to be severely limited to not murder your PC. In Arma there can be no such limit. Only solution to keep up fps is to reduce quality (no shadows / occlusion) and to reduce light range.

glowsticks are actually somewhat reallistic, as opposed to before.

No, only the natural light is better on Altis/Stratis now. All light sources are still the disgraceful dark turds.

edit. After a closer look, I'll have to take back some of that. Fires and lights do look pretty believable now, but flares are still useless for illumination.

• Like 3

you need to realize that the flares are signaling flares not illumination flares (at least that was the explanation given to me about theirs lighting config)

• Like 2

you need to realize that the flares are signaling flares not illumination flares (at least that was the explanation given to me about theirs lighting config)

Well, in that case it makes sense. But that's a bummer; I wish we had illuminating rounds, at least on mortars. :(

Well, in that case it makes sense. But that's a bummer; I wish we had illuminating rounds, at least on mortars. :(

Yep.Because signaling flares are commonly used in survival situation or in emergency for public use.

Armies on the other hand have less of a need for signal flares (they have radios.)

However illumination rounds and illumination flares are commonly used.

Which brings me to the next point -"flares" shouldn't be named simply "flares" but rather "Signal flares".

Are you planning on publishing any documentation for the CUP team (or any other map makers/porters) so they can achieve similar lighting on non-official maps?

How to get greater light radius is already known since ages to anyone looking at configs  <_<

Then why does night time look like garbage on every map other Tanoa (until this update in Dev branch)? And why has illumination been broken since 1.60?

Sorry but I don't believe this was done on purpose for FPS purposes and I'd love to see your source on that.

Are you planning on publishing any documentation for the CUP team (or any other map makers/porters) so they can achieve similar lighting on non-official maps?

I haven't really looked into it but I really doubt that the brightness of light sources is configured on a per map basis (I guess maybe except for light poles and stuff). I would imagine that the brightness of a light source is determined in the config for the light source.

• Like 1

1. A short treatise about military signal ammunition types from my practical experience with HK P2A1 26,5mm

The main differnce beetween signal and ilumination cartriges is that signal rounds have no chute, while ilumination rounds have a chute.

hence the longer cartidge for Ilumination rounds. The pyrotechnical change is the same, the brightnes is the same and the ilumination properties are the same, the chute round just stays longer up and does not fly in an arc back to the ground.

2. The whole night lighting is still wrong. Colours won't fade and shift to blue. All colurs are still clearly there in a clear night, if you put gamma up its the same as daylight.

Basically using the gamma and brightness slider works better as using a NV device in game.

Now remember that this was once solved back then in ArmA II and prior to ArmA II 1.60, and it even worked well in OFP.

You can easily see the blue containes now at night on tanoa while RL especially blue is the hardest colour to see for humans at night because the blue lightwaves dissipate first.

why such a step back?

• Like 3

;)

A step in the right direction :)

main light-emitting object I care about is the    

createvehicle ['test_emptyobjectforfirebig',(player modeltoworld [0,10,0]),[],0,'none'];

that one should be as bright or almost as bright as vehicle fires (spawn a vehicle and destroy it, then compare the two). yes we can script with creating a lightpoint and brightness stuff, but this does not have to be the case.

regards

Flares and flashlight are much better now.

But laser pointer and IR grenade are still broken.

No, only the natural light is better on Altis/Stratis now. All light sources are still the disgraceful dark turds.

edit. After a closer look, I'll have to take back some of that. Fires and lights do look pretty believable now, but flares are still useless for illumination.

Does that mean that you can't miss campfires anymore when walking by them? :D