bis_iceman

Visual Upgrade – Feedback

Yes, it is my personal opinion.

then say it like it is and don't make it a "fact" out of your "opinions"

So, in your opinion it makes sense to have a all graphics maxed and after a few meters we have all stuff turned in low detail, with a continuous LOD change in front of your eyes? Ok.

i never said that. I said you are posting out of your ass about stuff you have no idea about but make it sound like you do. I still believe that. Learn how LODs work in ALL the games out there, BI included, before you make yourself a fool the Nth time. 

LOD transition should be linked to view distance, only. Not to graphics quality.

it is already linked to distance from camera to object. It is NOT a set in value though )so LOD 1 is not for 1m distance, and LOD100 is not 100m distance from camera etc. Do get that through

About new lighting and illumination, point me where it looks better. 

The only thing that is looking better after the update are the water reflections, but that is not even related with the subject.

i don't need to point you to anything, you can open up your game and see for yourself. You already stated your opinion on that, so we can both agree to disagree. Besides, i wasn't the one to bring up this subject, you did...

• Like 2

Playing Tanoa, it seems like the mist is extreme since the last update. I mean, with just 3 or 4% mist it's almost complete white.

Anyone else noticed it?

• Like 3

Playing Tanoa, it seems like the mist is extreme since the last update. I mean, with just 3 or 4% mist it's almost complete white.

Anyone else noticed it?

Same since forever. Tanoa fog was extreme for me since day 1. Should be more gradual methinks.

• Like 2

The effect is the transition between the satmap and the detailed textures. It's always worked like that. With grass it's harder to notice, since it blends with the satmap colors, but it's still there.

But... it look just terrible. I didnt go to forest, and there issue is most visible. Actually all terrainwith tree. I dont know why i didnt noticed this before, but is very frystrating (at least for me). Terrains textures and sat images dont fit into each other.

I'm posting here because the thread regarding the visual upgrade was locked and redirected here, even though I am running the stable branch.

So, this is feedback regarding the visual upgrade for the Stable branch :

Everything is too bright, this is especially noticeable on lighter colored objects, things that are supposed to be grey are closer to white now, and objects that are supposed to be of a whiter color nearly glow white. 

I tried turning down the brightness in the settings, this helped with some things, as before doing this woodland areas that were green had turned tan color - sadly, the grey objects still look closer to white, and with having turned down the brightness now the shadows are too dark and the back of my player character is very dark when facing the sun.

I personally would say that it seems like this visual upgrade was only aimed towards being compatible with desert type environments, and only tested with Altis and Stratis, because when trying A2 maps (Cup), the default lighting turns the green into tan and makes the woodland areas look like a desert environment. If this is the goal, to make the lighting only support desert type environments, then I do not see the logic in that at all. The company has been encouraging people to make mods and maps, and it is probably very much the user made and ported maps that have helped promote this game, and then to turn around and drop support for that of which helps to make the game popular and that of which people have spent tons of time and effort on?

I've spent months on a hand built base with thousands of objects on a ported A2 map, and the lighting has changed the appearance from being nice and colorful to looking more white and overall drab looking.

I have heard other say we can change the settings to make things go back to the way they were, I am not able to find a way to do this - all I can do is cut the brightness in half to get the green back and put up with darker than normal shadows and objects are still abnormally lightly colored.

Yeh, please go back to how the old graphics looked before, they looked much better and more photo realistic to me and my friends that also play Arma 3.

Yeh, please go back to how the old graphics looked before, they looked much better and more photo realistic to me and my friends that also play Arma 3.

There are - most likely - more people that agree to that.

Althouth the upgrade did a lot of good things (and the effort to improve must be appreciated), the bad things carry that much heavy weight to enjoying the game, that I can't imaging the makers ignore this critics. But then again, you never know...

But... it look just terrible. I didnt go to forest, and there issue is most visible. Actually all terrainwith tree. I dont know why i didnt noticed this before, but is very frystrating (at least for me). Terrains textures and sat images dont fit into each other.

If you're referring to the difference between satmap's and terrain textures' colours, it's not really an issue, as It can be fixed on custom terrains.

The new lighting ain't that bad.

it seems like this visual upgrade was only aimed towards being compatible with desert type environments, and only tested with Altis and Stratis, because when trying A2 maps (Cup),

Tanoas a jungle.

Have not been in this thread in a few. Has there been any mention of the cup maps been properly updated yet? did anyone say cup maps have full visual update applied.

Consider when sound update happened alot of people didn't ask bis to fix jsrs. Think the mod author did it himself when it was appropriate. Right now for bis those wacky dudes are making an apex dlc even taking one day off a week the lazy sobs. Forget making money for arma to continue. fix those bloody cup maps pronto.

Tanoas a jungle.

Have not been in this thread in a few. Has there been any mention of the cup maps been properly updated yet? did anyone say cup maps have full visual update applied.

Consider when sound update happened alot of people didn't ask bis to fix jsrs. Think the mod author did it himself when it was appropriate. Right now for bis those wacky dudes are making an apex dlc even taking one day off a week the lazy sobs. Forget making money for arma to continue. fix those bloody cup maps pronto.

Tanoa has not been released yet. I was referring to the content that is actually in game, like Altis and Stratis?

The Cup terrains have the visual upgrade patch, the lighting issues are there and in Altis and Stratis.

I wonder how many people play vanilla Arma 3 with no mods, and I wonder where Arma 3 would be if there were no mods. I didn't say prioritize any particular mod to be made compatible, I stated the importance of the maps/mods for Arma 3, and the fact that not only does the Arma 3 game benefit from mods but that people spend a lot of time on the projects.

And btw, those are you words, not mine.

Tanoa has not been released yet. I was referring to the content that is actually in game, like Altis and Stratis?

The Cup terrains have the visual upgrade patch, the lighting issues are there and in Altis and Stratis.

I wonder how many people play vanilla Arma 3 with no mods, and I wonder where Arma 3 would be if there were no mods. I didn't say prioritize any particular mod to be made compatible, I stated the importance of the maps/mods for Arma 3, and the fact that not only does the Arma 3 game benefit from mods but that people spend a lot of time on the projects.

And btw, those are you words, not mine.

" it seems like this visual upgrade was only aimed towards being compatible with desert type environments, and only tested with Altis and Stratis. "

These are your words. The visual update is very compatible with Tanoa. It is far from a desert. My point stands.

To which lighting issues on altis/ stratis do you refer?

You used cup as an example. I gave reasons why cup mod maps might not be a good example amd why.

Have you a link to cup authors relaying they have adjusted maps with not their work around for 1.60 visual update but the actual bis applied fix.

Again I might have missed that.

...Would it be useful for BI to conduct a survey? Let our opinions (votes) steer the direction of the game.

• Like 1

" it seems like this visual upgrade was only aimed towards being compatible with desert type environments, and only tested with Altis and Stratis. "

These are your words. The visual update is very compatible with Tanoa. It is far from a desert. My point stands.

To which lighting issues on altis/ stratis do you refer?

You used cup as an example. I gave reasons why cup mod maps might not be a good example amd why.

Have you a link to cup authors relaying they have adjusted maps with not their work around for 1.60 visual update but the actual bis applied fix.

Again I might have missed that.

Your right, I was not aware that the Tanoa map was this close to release. So indeed the color changes would technically be more aimed towards a jungle type environment, so there, you win. It does not change the fact that if the lighting changes are intended to fit a specific type of map and not be universal/friendly towards others, then I do not agree with that. I suppose you got a problem with that too huh??

I posted :

"Everything is too bright, this is especially noticeable on lighter colored objects, things that are supposed to be grey are closer to white now, and objects that are supposed to be of a whiter color nearly glow white. 

I tried turning down the brightness in the settings, this helped with some things, as before doing this woodland areas that were green had turned tan color - sadly, the grey objects still look closer to white, and with having turned down the brightness now the shadows are too dark and the back of my player character is very dark when facing the sun."

I did not even mention Cup yet here.

Rather than respond to the 'argument', my above repeated post says enough. This is the case on Altis and Stratis.

What difference does it make whether or not the Cup applied patch is official or not? Either case does not invalidate my post.

Can you provide a reason why you feel that other peoples opinions and observations are not valid and therefore subject to your attacks?

If you want an argument, go find a political site, if you have an opinion or view, post it, and take your attacks somewhere else.

I personally would say that it seems like this visual upgrade was only aimed towards being compatible with desert type environments, and only tested with Altis and Stratis, because when trying A2 maps (Cup), the default lighting turns the green into tan and makes the woodland areas look like a desert environment.

You accept that the lighting works for Altis and Stratis (and subsequently Tanoa). These are the official A3 terrains and the only ones BIS can be considered responsible for the appearance of. Any other terrain is a user-made release and is going to have to be adjusted for the new lighting (or choose not to use it) and that's a process that's going to require iteration. If you look at the CUP terrains thread you'll see that metalcraze has posted images from further work on that.

Actually no I did not. I initially stated that the lighting is causing objects to appear too bright in general, on all maps, including Altis and Stratis. I admit that for a desert style environment the effect is not as noticeable as it is in an environment that has more green to it, but still the actual effect on the objects is the same. I don't think that a grey object is really supposed to look more white on Altis, Stratis, Tanoa, or Chenarus.

And that's the end of this for me. I didn't post to argue, I posted to post me opinion. If anyone else want's to dispute what I posted, go for it, I'm not going to bother to respond. This is becoming a waste of time and energy.

By all means share your opinion, just accept that it cuts both ways and you're going to get some opinions back. My opinion of your opinion is that it's largely based on content that hasn't been fully revised to work with the latest update (and as such should probably be ignored).

CUP's First Iteration on the Visual Upgrade

CUP's Further Work on the Visual Upgrade

And no doubt there will be more improvements and fixes to come after this next is released. Patience (lest we chuck the baby with the bathwater).

• Like 3

Patience.

What is this gibberish? Please talk so that everyone can understand you.

Actually no I did not. I initially stated that the lighting is causing objects to appear too bright in general, on all maps, including Altis and Stratis. I admit that for a desert style environment the effect is not as noticeable as it is in an environment that has more green to it, but still the actual effect on the objects is the same. I don't think that a grey object is really supposed to look more white on Altis, Stratis, Tanoa, or Chenarus.

Look at the actual texture of the object, look ingame, see that it represents it well. Specularity exists now. Before it didnt, there was no specularity whatsoever. You will have to get used to it. If objects look bad in your opinion, tweak them.

:ph34r: when a 2001 game have better car beams than a 2016 one

You might as well say "when a 2001 game has higher playable view distance..." , which is not really a shocker, is it?

This is pure speculation on my part, but I get the feeling that the "Visual Upgrade" is less about beauty and more about a fps solution for Tanoa specifically. I suspect that if we the players could flip a switch and return to the original visuals that Tanoa, would perhaps be unplayable in terms of frames. What ever the case is, I do hope that there is a solution to the over brights in the day and the crushing at night, as well as the impotent light sources.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I get the feeling that the "Visual Upgrade" is less about beauty and more about a fps solution for Tanoa specifically. I suspect that if we the players could flip a switch and return to the original visuals that Tanoa, would perhaps be unplayable in terms of frames. What ever the case is, I do hope that there is a solution to the over brights in the day and the crushing at night, as well as the impotent light sources.

I believe if you had such a switch to flip. Tanoa wouldn't look as good as it does.

There is an issue with light sources and it's not some easy flick a switch fix. It's going to take time and resources. this for me is the draw back from the visual update. It's not a straight up delight that everyone is happy about because it needs more work. And alot of people aren't in the mood for giving the time to do this. They want it now now now.

If you're referring to the difference between satmap's and terrain textures' colours, it's not really an issue, as It can be fixed on custom terrains.

The new lighting ain't that bad.

You understand wrong - i love new lighting (specially on RC branch), but those textures look terrible - terrain around player is allways bright - most noticeable when driving vehicle, where these area is smaller than on camera in editor.

4tOEsni.jpg

aJRZsha.jpg

the camping lantern light breaks through the walls in houses  not only on tnaoa but altis as well