bis_iceman

Visual Upgrade – Feedback

Is there any news that BIS will make nights more bright? I would be really pissed to tweak night lighting for a week then new patch would make it bright as F.

They have for Tanoa, it's just a matter of whether they backport the change to other maps / CAWorld.

• Like 1

It have nothing to do whith ssd mate

Now i know, but SSD will stay in my PC :)

I played 2 night mission yesterday and they look fine. Flares produce engough light, moon too (in realistic value). Only those terrain textures over 50M...... looks terrible.

Now i know, but SSD will stay in my PC :)

I played 2 night mission yesterday and they look fine. Flares produce engough light, moon too (in realistic value). Only those terrain textures over 50M...... looks terrible.

Definitely keep arma on ssd its helps a lot i just said it will not improve lod flickering .

Definitely keep arma on ssd its helps a lot i just said it will not improve lod flickering .

Got it :) Know it since i first saw it, it need fixing. Same as terrain texture - 40M away from player is dark.

Got it :) Know it since i first saw it, it need fixing. Same as terrain texture - 40M away from player is dark.

What's you 'shadow distance'?

What's you 'shadow distance'?

100. Tested on all settings, including shadow distance. Even AMD settings.

100. Tested on all settings, including shadow distance. Even AMD settings.

Cranking it up to 200m did get rid of weird behavior of short distance textures for me...

Cranking it up to 200m did get rid of weird behavior of short distance textures for me...

Custom terran, Vanilla video is uploading :

Here is vanilla, get to 1:16 to see when i found this bug.

https://youtu.be/cDf2ohBmCNs

The effect is the transition between the satmap and the detailed textures. It's always worked like that. With grass it's harder to notice, since it blends with the satmap colors, but it's still there.

• Like 1

Is there any news that BIS will make nights more bright? I would be really pissed to tweak night lighting for a week then new patch would make it bright as F.

Now that the new lighting system is in place, if BIS decides to make small color and lighting adjustments to improve the visuals wouldn't that automatically work on your updated map? In other words, maybe you wouldn't have to adjust anything drastically? I've seen some old maps that haven't been updated yet, with no error messages and they look exactly the same as Altis and Stratis.

But overall I think the safest thing to do is update your map when you know for certain the visuals are officially set and BIS has no plans of changing it anymore. 

You people can argue whatever you want but the truth is, the game does not look better after visual upgrade, In  fact is the opposite. Comparing the current build with Alpha build, by far Alpha looks better, in every aspect.

Adding to that the freakin LOD transition added with recent update in Dev Build. the game just looks like a a beta version of Duke Nukem (1991).

About LOD distance and transition, that should be linked to view distance and also graphics quality, does not make any sense that you have textures changing to  low detail 2 meters in front on you, when you have hardware for more.

If I was in charge I would cut the 12000 view distance (since no one use and is not needed) and would replace it for a 6000 view distance max, creating 6 levels for LOD transition according to view distance. 

1000 one level, 2000 another level, etc.

• Like 1

You people can argue whatever you want but the truth is, the game does not look better after visual upgrade, In  fact is the opposite. Comparing the current build with Alpha build, by far Alpha looks better, in every aspect.

that's not the "truth", it's your own personal opinion

About LOD distance and transition, that should be linked to view distance and also graphics quality, does not make any sense that you have textures changing to  low detail 2 meters in front on you, when you have hardware for more.

it already is

If I was in charge I would cut the 12000 view distance (since no one use and is not needed) and would replace it for a 6000 view distance max, creating 6 levels for LOD transition according to view distance

this is the nth time i see you post this sort of shit, and although i really want to avoid replying to you, this show precisely how much you know about game engines, draw calls, resource management, textures versus atlases etc

• Like 4

I wonder if BI could bring over the lighting tech that TKOM has in regards to light from vehicles and such not passing through things. Though, i'm not sure if such a feature would have an impact on performance, much less the fact that if it were to become an option in lighting settings, it could present a gameplay balance problem, much like that we currently have with Gamma/Brightness Vs. NVG's/no NVG's

I wonder if BI could bring over the lighting tech that TKOM has in regards to light from vehicles and such not passing through things. Though, i'm not sure if such a feature would have an impact on performance, much less the fact that if it were to become an option in lighting settings, it could present a gameplay balance problem, much like that we currently have with Gamma/Brightness Vs. NVG's/no NVG's

Its obvious that shadow calculations for dynamic lights would multiply performance cost. I'd say thats why they dont have it to begin with.

If I was in charge I would cut the 12000 view distance (since no one use and is not needed) and would replace it for a 6000 view distance max, creating 6 levels for LOD transition according to view distance. 

I'm glad you are not, because thats what an absolute "game dev noob" would do...

I wonder if BI could bring over the lighting tech that TKOM has in regards to light from vehicles and such not passing through things.

You can likely expect that in Enfusion. TOM uses Enforce so I highly doubt it coming in RV

After playing a night mission yesterday, I can only reiterate what people said before: The nights are too dark (and full of terror).

Honestly, I was driving a truck with headlights on, and couldn't see more than ten meters. In real life, I would refuse to sit in a car that will only show me ten meters of road ahead.

So, to sum it up:
- Night is *far too dark*. Honestly, in full moon, you should be able to see much more
- Headlights are too dim (might be related to this)
- And, everyone favorite, chemlights are nearly invisible.

The too dark nights have serious implication on gameplay. I guess most of us really don't like to play with the green screen (i.e. NVG) all the time. Therefore, the most atmospheric night missions are those without NVGs. But without them, you can not see a damn thing, so night is either green, or black. So, yes, serious impact on gameplay.

• Like 6

I really prefer the old lighting  for various reasons. The new lighting looks good in some cases and mostly in sea environment.

The new lighting is also making the mid range textures more visible/noticable  which is of course a bad thing since they are bad looking.

I know there is no turning back for the old lighting but I can only hope that further adjustments by the devs will find a better balance.

I tried to adjust the graphics my self but I couldn't make it look as in the 1.58 :(

Is there any news that BIS will make nights more bright?

I agree with everyone, the ambient light at night is too little. Tonao looks fine, but Altis and Stratis are like staring into a completely enclosed room. Map makers could really use a hint of future visual lighting fixes, a manual, or at least any indication that BI is doing something. Isn't that what these feeback posts are for?

• Like 2

I like the tropic CSAT guys a lot, but have mixed feelings about NATO. For some reason it seems like they've just been hit with a bucket of green paint (?). Too bright? too green? Some of the greens clash a little? I don't know, what do you guys think?

The Tropic MX rifle looks like it's got a 'watery' green paintjob, and does not look effective as camouflage. It might be because it needs a darker green, or the base colour (?) of the rifle is too light. The desert tan colour is definately too light with the new lighting.

any indication that BI is doing something. Isn't that what these feeback posts are for?

They did, but they also said no promises. Have to wait and see what happens.

we're aware of the nights being too dark (both moonlit and moonless) and we will aim to address that

(no ETA, no promise on previous line, this is way more complex task than simple tweak)

please continue with great feedback and suggestions what shall be improved (and why) and documenting what's wrong ...

that's not the "truth", it's your own personal opinion

it already is

this is the nth time i see you post this sort of shit, and although i really want to avoid replying to you, this show precisely how much you know about game engines, draw calls, resource management, textures versus atlases etc

Yes, it is my personal opinion.

So, in your opinion it makes sense to have a all graphics maxed and after a few meters we have all stuff turned in low detail, with a continuous LOD change in front of your eyes? Ok.
LOD transition should be linked to view distance, only. Not to graphics quality. 
Graphics quality is a different subject and if you play with low graphics, it should be  bad, either close or far. This applies to textures, foliage, shadows, etc.
What does not make sense is to have this continuos LOD change in front of your eyes, no matter your graphic settings.
And for MP, setting LOD transition exclusively related with view distance (with several levels) is not a even a issue, because with the mission we cant set max view distance  for alll players So, no advantge for anyone.
Btw, point me one person that play MP with 12000 view distance having all settings in Ultra? (not having all maxed makes even less sense to use 12000)

About new lighting and illumination, point me where it looks better. 
The only thing that is looking better after the update are the water reflections, but that is not even related with the subject.

Have same problem. Today evening or tomorrow i will install SSD and will check if it will help. But for 90% it will not, as i see this on all settings.

Nope i have arma 3 on ssd and same, hate thouse bushes.

Why so many compromises whith new lighting? Why we cant have just new asset whith old perfect looking lighting?

• Like 1