bis_iceman

Visual Upgrade – Feedback

Exactly like the real world.

Now the night is a real night and you need a NVG gain a real advantage, before this update the night was a exagerated an unrealistic.

Now the lightning and illumination is a real deal.

Welcome to real world of the simulation warfare.

in real world car light beam extends only 1 meter in front of you? Gimme a break. Stop bullshiting if you have no idea what you are talking about. Unless you were joking, of course.

• Like 2

in real world car light beam extends only 1 meter in front of you? Gimme a break. Stop bullshiting if you have no idea what you are talking about. Unless you were joking, of course.

Well, well, well...

Arguing with a troll?...not today, enjoy of your new NVG at night.

Exactly like the real world.

Now the night is a real night and you need a NVG gain a real advantage, before this update the night was a exagerated an unrealistic.

Now the lightning and illumination is a real deal.

Welcome to real world of the simulation warfare.

Did they have night vision during WW II? If not, did they still fight at night? Do all insurgent groups have night vision today? If not, do they still not fight at night?

Of course not having night vision will make it way, way harder to fight at night, but it is most certainly not as horrid as this. Flashlights actually has a beam that goes further than a couple of meters in front of you in real life. Night ops without NVGs are fun

Did they have night vision during WW II? If not, did they still fight at night? Do all insurgent groups have night vision today? If not, do they still not fight at night?

Of course not having night vision will make it way, way harder to fight at night, but it is most certainly not as horrid as this. Flashlights actually has a beam that goes further than a couple of meters in front of you in real life. Night ops without NVGs are fun

Yes there was already active infra red night vision fielded in 1945. But even in 1993 we only had a handfull of VN devices per Platoon, and none of then were wearables. Well into the year 2000 the main night vision for the main forces in european NATO armies was battlefield ilumination...which also does not work right since 1.60. As long as even a partial moon is up, the night is not as dark as in 1.60.

Here is a night scene in ArmA II, thats what you would exspect in a full moon night. Notice the lack of colours.D44B55395CBA61B9B22010F90BF7A9B6A8149FEA

• Like 1

Oh yes the wisdom of internet :) :

Recommended words of the english language: Flares, trench, spolights.. every of this word is create by only one porpouse... no can see properly at night, and now is a reality in Arma 3.

And the D-DAY the parachuting deployment dont be making using the sunlight, why? because only usings spotlights the germans can see the parajumpers...

Instead making useless complaints about the dark of a real night, learn how to uses the new mechanic in your own benefit.

Learn, adapt, survive..

Recommended words of the english language: Flares, trench, spolights.. every of this word is create by only one porpouse... no can see properly at night, and now is a reality in Arma 3.

And the D-DAY the parachuting deployment dont be making using the sunlight, why? because only usings spotlights the germans can see the parajumpers...

Instead making useless complaints about the dark of a real night, learn how to uses the new mechanic in your own benefit.

Learn, adapt, survive..

You should read the thread and posts first because you don't seem to have any idea what this thread and the post you quoted are about.

Hint: people have been talking about how useless flashlights etc. light sources are in the night time in this game.

Troll... Flame... Whine...

• Like 1

Actually most armies mostly avoided large-scale battles at night precisely because it was a recipe for disaster (navigation, friendly fire, accidents).

Of course there are exceptions but generally the rule was that the risk wasn't worth the benefit.

Smaller and/or highly-trained units were often the exception.

But I have to agree that if night are going to be darker to offer NVGs a real benefit, then BIS also need to work on their illumination (fires, flashlights, car headlamps, star shells, etc.).

Hi BIS! After the visual update, we had a much more beautiful world around the player.

Yes, however, details are present, which still annoying the player. Before the release of visual updates, I was hoping it would be fixed, but I was disappointed.

Sometimes I hate these bushes in the Arma 3:

I use the ultra game setting, but always and always I see this crazy LOD switching of vegetation under the feet of the player. 

These bushes a constantly twitch before the eyes. Please note, this objects are not distant objects.

It is the objects, that is closest to a eyes of player!

I don't know why the LODa switching in ARMA, is not best, but BIS please try to improve the LOD switching (!for nearby objects to the player) and make it less noticeable.

Also, I can only assume, that the use of the alpha channel (the gradual LOD fading out) could mitigate this problem.

I, think, this opportunity will contribute to the full enjoyment from the visual upgrades in A3, espesially in Apex DLC.

• Like 1

You should read the thread and posts first because you don't seem to have any idea what this thread and the post you quoted are about.

Hint: people have been talking about how useless flashlights etc. light sources are in the night time in this game.

Troll... Flame... Whine...

Me whining?

I like the actual lightning and the actual night status, why are I whining cause of that?

And yes I read the entire post before make my inputs - or post - but why I'm a troll, because I dont think that the new reflection system be a horrible idea becuase the night now is a real night?

Instead calling my a troll I suggest that you use your common sense and try to read that I write, if you put some effort on that - not much really - you can understand easily what I'm talking about and who I'm talking too.

Me whining?

I like the actual lightning and the actual night status, why are I whining cause of that?

And yes I read the entire post before make my inputs - or post - but why I'm a troll, because I dont think that the new reflection system be a horrible idea becuase the night now is a real night?

Instead calling my a troll I suggest that you use your common sense and try to read that I write, if you put some effort on that - not much really - you can understand easily what I'm talking about and who I'm talking too.

Quote me a post in this thread that has complained about the too dark nights.

I can find 0 but I don't know how you can find them when you're posting something like this:

Learn, adapt, survive..

Almanzo never said at any point that nights are too dark...

This thread is about how well flashlights, car lights etc. work. Nobody is saying that nights are too dark but for example car lights are too short if we want to have high beam mode that every car has.

Flashlights were useless before because the nights were so bright. Now that the nights are dark they're still useless because they don't light enough far away.

Flares are like the most useless stuff. Real flares make the night like a day in a large area.

So how do you purpose we to adapt with this broken stuff mr. master of adapting?

• Like 1

Quote me a post in this thread that has complained about the too dark nights.

I can find 0 but I don't know how you can find them when you're posting something like this:

Almanzo never said at any point that nights are too dark...

This thread is about how well flashlights, car lights etc. work. Nobody is saying that nights are too dark but for example car lights are too short if we want to have high beam mode that every car has.

Flashlights were useless before because the nights were so bright. Now that the nights are dark they're still useless because they don't light enough far away.

Flares are like the most useless stuff. Real flares make the night like a day in a large area.

So how do you purpose we to adapt with this broken stuff mr. master of adapting?

Are you trying to speak with me after insulting calling flamer,whiner and troll?...

Learn, adapt, survive..

Uhm, whats your point here? What I am complaining about is that flashlights, flares and so on are to weak to be of any use... I can go buy a flashlight for pocket change that is more useful than the ones in ARMA, and thats the point here. Up close, these things are so bright they'll blind you, and the contrast to the rest of the night is insane, while at the same time you can't see more than 5 meters in front of you...

I haven't made a single complaint about how dark the night is, I live in Norway where we have night all day long during winter... I know how dark a night is (on a brighter note, our nights are bright as day during summer :D

What I am complaining about is how terribly ineffective light sources are in the game, while NVGs on the other hand, is much more powerful than their real life counter part. Even enemy flashlights are really, really dim... A flashlight in real life can be seen from a very, very long distance during a night, so there is definately a tradeoff to use them.

• Like 1

Uhm, whats your point here? What I am complaining about is that flashlights, flares and so on are to weak to be of any use... I can go buy a flashlight for pocket change that is more useful than the ones in ARMA, and thats the point here. Up close, these things are so bright they'll blind you, and the contrast to the rest of the night is insane, while at the same time you can't see more than 5 meters in front of you...

I haven't made a single complaint about how dark the night is, I live in Norway where we have night all day long during winter... I know how dark a night is (on a brighter note, our nights are bright as day during summer :D

What I am complaining about is how terribly ineffective light sources are in the game, while NVGs on the other hand, is much more powerful than their real life counter part. Even enemy flashlights are really, really dim... A flashlight in real life can be seen from a very, very long distance during a night, so there is definately a tradeoff to use them.

I dont know if read the post in this forum or the previous post in this thread about Arma 3 engine limitations but...

Since there is no physical limit on lights in the scene in arma, having a long range could really bog down performance.

Right now this is a true fact, this applies to every lightsource in the game. I know that for some pleople dont like use a NVG like to play like a ninja using the light of unrealistic night of a previous version of the Arma 3 engine but now we have a real night and because the game is setting in the year 2035 we have NVG to play at night realistic.

Speaking about the range of the NVG, I suggest that you read the real range of the military version of NVG, I think that the military advisors of BIS knows perflectly the range of the NVG better than you and me.

don't forget, you also know where they are so your eyes don't search as much as placing a sniper and then asking someone else to find it, sometimes they can't right away. Same as real life.

I have to disagree. In real life camouflage tests are actually "at what range do you detect the unit". The tester knows what to expect in terms of bearing and camo pattern. It's only a matter of how close does he able to distinguish the camouflaged unit from the environment. The closer, the better.

I have to disagree. In real life camouflage tests are actually "at what range do you detect the unit". The tester knows what to expect in terms of bearing and camo pattern. It's only a matter of how close does he able to distinguish the camouflaged unit from the environment. The closer, the better.

We were always taught, shape, shine, shadow. surface, silhouette, and movement, all of the things as to why things are seen, and therefore need to be camouflaged, the only time we did the " range detection" was during stalks for sniper/CTR, everything else was always "how did you detect him?, what gave him away? " which leads back to the shape, shine, shadow etc.

it's like these facebook memes, hit share when you can spot him..

eg

http://i.imgur.com/9gBxvic.jpg

as soon as you know where it is, your eyes are always drawn to that spot, if you send in a picture, because you know where the issue is, your eyes are always drawn to that point, it's the point where others can't see what you see, is what makes it either working, or not working.

I do know where you're coming from, but closer isn't always better, it guarantees a kill shot, however a good sniper team also need to know their routes in and out, the closer they are, the more harder it would be to extract themselves after the shot, in an area full of enemy troops, and without their basic camouflage principles, they'd be fucked! :D

Hi BIS! After the visual update, we had a much more beautiful world around the player.
Yes, however, details are present, which still annoying the player. Before the release of visual updates, I was hoping it would be fixed, but I was disappointed.
Sometimes I hate these bushes in the Arma 3:

I use the ultra game setting, but always and always I see this crazy LOD switching of vegetation under the feet of the player. 
These bushes a constantly twitch before the eyes. Please note, this objects are not distant objects.
It is the objects, that is closest to a eyes of player!
I don't know why the LODa switching in ARMA, is not best, but BIS please try to improve the LOD switching (!for nearby objects to the player) and make it less noticeable.
Also, I can only assume, that the use of the alpha channel (the gradual LOD fading out) could mitigate this problem.
I, think, this opportunity will contribute to the full enjoyment from the visual upgrades in A3, espesially in Apex DLC.

Have same problem. Today evening or tomorrow i will install SSD and will check if it will help. But for 90% it will not, as i see this on all settings.

Have same problem. Today evening or tomorrow i will install SSD and will check if it will help. But for 90% it will not, as i see this on all settings.

It have nothing to do whith ssd mate

Night lighting on dev branch is still way too dark, even in a full moon night. Please don't keep it this way, full moon night missions are very immersive. The day we'll have to move in darkness with NVG all the time will be a sad day for Arma.

• Like 8

We were always taught, shape, shine, shadow. surface, silhouette, and movement, all of the things as to why things are seen, and therefore need to be camouflaged, the only time we did the " range detection" was during stalks for sniper/CTR, everything else was always "how did you detect him?, what gave him away? " which leads back to the shape, shine, shadow etc.

I might be missing something here. That does not seem contradictory to my claim.

I do know where you're coming from, but closer isn't always better, it guarantees a kill shot, however a good sniper team also need to know their routes in and out, the closer they are, the more harder it would be to extract themselves after the shot, in an area full of enemy troops, and without their basic camouflage principles, they'd be fucked! :D

You are missing my point. I meant closer, in the sense that it's only better from the camouflaged unit point of view. If your camouflage allows you to remain undetected unless in close range, it's doing a good job in keeping you concealed. Of course there are other factors but I was responding to the developer's claim.
  • Like 1

Night lighting on dev branch is still way too dark, even in a full moon night. Please don't keep it this way, full moon night missions are very immersive. The day we'll have to move in darkness with NVG all the time will be a sad day for Arma.

Indeed, currently, nights are far too dark, the difference between full and new moon should be more pronounced. Otherwise, all you will achieve is that everyone playing at night will crank up their gamma

• Like 2

Well, well, well...

Arguing with a troll?...not today, enjoy of your new NVG at night.

didn't know you were a troll, I am kinda new in these forums, just come by now and then. Once in a while.

• Like 2

Spent some more time tweaking today. I have the tendency to decrease saturation or else, for instance, the red seats of the Huron, look scarlet, oversaturated. I can tweak it down, but then I'm not happy with the sea and sky.

I would like:

- a lot of materials, like Huron red seats, to look a bit de-saturated (saturation 90-95), because of wear-and-tear and muted military look

- the sky and sea can be relatively saturated as they absorb and reflect a lot of light in different ways, saturation can add depth and vibrance to the sky and sea

I hope the system gets developed further to make this kind of color-profile possible.

I dont know if read the post in this forum or the previous post in this thread about Arma 3 engine limitations but...

Right now this is a true fact, this applies to every lightsource in the game. I know that for some pleople dont like use a NVG like to play like a ninja using the light of unrealistic night of a previous version of the Arma 3 engine but now we have a real night and because the game is setting in the year 2035 we have NVG to play at night realistic.

Speaking about the range of the NVG, I suggest that you read the real range of the military version of NVG, I think that the military advisors of BIS knows perflectly the range of the NVG better than you and me.

Well, since this was a much smaller issue before the update, the engine limitations must have increased significantly since the last update then...

It's not about playing ninja, quite a large portion of the community does like to play milsim scenarios where nvgs isn't an option. One good examples is insurgents or militia forces using guerilla tactics to go into a facility to either sabotage or steal gear and equipment. Another one is playing in different time periods. Most people in milsim communities doesn't play with the vanilla asset, but use mods exactly to be able to play with lower tech vehicles and gear. Using a Hummer with an M2 is way more fun than using a Hunter, for instance, as using the Hummer effectively requires training, coordination, communication and skill, while in the Hunter it only requires you to adjust the range, zoom in and fire away. Low tech is often more fun in gameplay terms. 

Missions without nvgs using flash lights and flares can be alot of fun, given that the equipment actually works. Spotting enemies based on their muzzle flash, using flares effectively, adapting movement speed in order to better control where you can see and such... all of these things are interesting and challanging, and way more fun than just smacking a set of NVGs on and go.

And in regards to real nvgs, there are plenty of people on these forums who have used them in real life. Dslyexci himself has made a mod adressing the clearity of ingame nvgs, you can see that here: 

It's not just about the range, it's more about the clarity of the image, the field of view and the brightness of it rather than range alone. I would love to hear the input of people who has served using nvgs though, so if anyone can I'd love to hear it.

Why does this matter so much to you? Would you really mind more effective lights? I'm not suggesting to make the nights brighter here, only to improve light sources. Back in ARMA II, this was way, way better, especially flares. If someone popped a flare it would light up a huge area, now they allmost doesn't work at all.

Is there any news that BIS will make nights more bright? I would be really pissed to tweak night lighting for a week then new patch would make it bright as F.

• Like 2