bis_iceman

Visual Upgrade – Feedback

Dayum I'm still on nvidia driver 361.91. Guess I missed a few. Well they did say it was thr best one for arma3. Be heading pascal soon so guess I'll be forced to move on now anyways.

I recommend not to update drivers unless there's actually something that's making the current driver bad or worse. There's pretty much only a chance to get worse performance with a driver update.

• Like 1

I rolled back my Nvidea driver last week as was getting a lot of DX Crashes, now not had one in over 7 days.

Serious question: How much do actual chemlights illuminate the environment?

• Like 1

This one illuminates pretty well.

• Like 1

Not a whole lot. Theyre used for marking rooms or reading maps. Right now their luminosity is not that far off. I always thought they were a little bright (though they did look pretty). That said, other light sources need to some work,.

This one illuminates pretty well.

and it does it for at least 2 hours, not few minutes.

Extending chemlight duration in Arma should be the easy part for dev.

Fire objects are still incredibly dim

repro:

put down a lit fireplace in the dark

• Like 1

There are different kinds of chemlights. The standard ones don't give much light, enough to see the ground in frotn of you and for reading, but they give light for 8 hours. The second kind is manyfold brighter but won't last for more than 2 hours and after 3 hours is as dimm as a standard one. While the brighness look o.k. in game, the luminosity does not, it's to low.

The true pitty is that all you can do is drop them to the ground, thats not much of a use. 

I also notices that the low beam of vehicles is not useffull at all for driving at night. it's so short that driving more than 50km/h is a high risk.

Build 1.61

• Like 1

The visual update has poor implications on unit visibility in shadows. Whether it be lack of harshness of shadows or the strong illumination of objects and players I do not know. The effect is the most prominent on the ghillie suits uniforms, it is very hard to blend into the jungle when the players stand out as much as they do now.

Videos:

http://a.pomf.cat/rdzawx.webm

http://a.pomf.cat/phrbrc.webm

Screenshots:

nhbfmw.png

ttxbdv.jpg

• Like 2

The visual update has poor implications on unit visibility in shadows. Whether it be lack of harshness of shadows or the strong illumination of objects and players I do not know. The effect is the most prominent on the ghillie suits uniforms, it is very hard to blend into the jungle when the players stand out as much as they do now.

Videos:

Screenshots:

yes, this is important. light and shade should affect the units much more so they appear as part of the environment and allow cammo and use of shaded areas to be of benefit more.

also inside forests tend to be a lot darker, and less grey and montoned. right now the whoel sceen seems flat due to the tones.

Videos:

Screenshots:

nhbfmw.png

ttxbdv.jpg

I'd say that's down to the current rvmats the units are using, custom unit addons you can change the look completely by editing them to how you see fit.

The current rvmats have not really changed much for units since ARMA days, I don't believe the AI detection works on detecting "colours or hues" but different algorithms altogether.

I agree, as it stands, units are more obvious on Tanoa than they are on other maps, but don't forget, you also know where they are so your eyes don't search as much as placing a sniper and then asking someone else to find it, sometimes they can't right away. Same as real life.

Don't forget, Tanoa is still in Decelopment and is subject to change, and also don't forget it took 3 years of updates to get A3 looking and playing the way it did ;) let's hope that the roadmap for Tanoa isn't as long eh? ;)

And don't forget that in the stream there were unit recolors to better match the new environment mentioned.  Unless they find that perfect balance, changing current uniforms might fix their visibility on tanoa, but make them stuck out on stratis and altis.

And don't forget that in the stream there were unit recolors to better match the new environment mentioned.  Unless they find that perfect balance, changing current uniforms might fix their visibility on tanoa, but make them stuck out on stratis and altis.

MTP or originally knows as MultiCam is too light in hue right now. Toning it down into the darker more brown prominet hue would make it work as intended...even in a lush environment. I just made this picture 10 minutes ago to show how good Multicam works in lush green grass and foilage. In ArmA II the pattern is simply wrong (and does not contain bright white anymore like early prints, only light tans.)

figure 1: overcast daylight 9th june 10:20am

DSCF0037.JPGDSCF0035.JPG

figure 2: under trees canopy shade, June 9th 11:15am

• Like 2

Shape, Shine, Shadow, Surface, Silhouette and movement are also why things are seen, and paramount to any camouflaging techniques in real life, I don't think it's programmed into the AI, as they can see you through buildings and trees, regardless, where having good cammo that actually blends within the environment is PVP games, where' you're not being spotted by super soldiers, but by what catches your human opponents eyes.

This is why I'm not a huge fan of CUP's unit's, as they're using older uniforms and older textures, that for me personally stick out way too much, as opposed to making my own uniforms, and custom rvmats, that reduce "glossiness" etc.

It's amazing how well proper Multicam works, even in arid conditions.

• Like 1

Shall we get back on topic, if you have concerns regarding how forum Moderators (also forum members may not appreciate forum moderators are volunteer community members) act please contact the Community Developer BohemiaBeck

• Like 1

Is there any chance to change setings to make arma looks like in older version? I really hate new colors and lights of arma

Catastrophic effects after Arma3 update 1.60!

On the map Chernarus terrain looks like scrambled eggs on the ground.

Almost white-grey sky, white sandbags, white tent instead of grey, white-green comouflage on the,

power generator, almost white helicopters, and scrambled eggs on the ground

- no matter how I try to configure graphic options - BIG FAILURE!

Terrain, buildings, vehicles, characters, camouflages etc. looks terrible!

Take a look 1.60:

cherna4.jpg

cherna3.jpg

cherna2.jpg

cherna1.jpg

And how it looked in v1.58 before A3 upgrade - BETTER!

They should give us an option to disable all new graphic effects!

Take a look:

cherna7.jpg

cherna6.jpg

cherna5.jpg

All the truth about new lighting :( 

snowman.jpg

• Like 2

turn that new lighting off BIS plz... this lighting is probably good for tanoa but not for altis stratis etc....

when I sly in the plane now I fell like im in the white fog not in the air..

• Like 1

Hope devs will revert lighting back and leave new lighting on Tanoa only.

• Like 1

community made / ported maps needs to update theirs lighting config (for multiple reason not just Visual Upgrade) ...

it was written (repeatedly) there will be related documentation update in future (hopefully sooner than later)

of course some brave community makers already did so (e.g. CUP) theirs own attempt to correct it

• Like 6

I play only vanilla arma and I hate new lighting.. so what I should stop play this game ??? really because I paid for some game what excited me but now its different product ..

New lighting looks terrible on stratis, altis maps. The fact is, that it is worse on CUP maps. Check takistan map, it feels like snow / bleach everywhere !!!, so do not write it is fixed on CUP maps...

• Like 1

I play only vanilla arma and I hate new lighting.. so what I should stop play this game ??? really because I paid for some game what excited me but now its different product ..

Your signature is a contradiction to your posts ;)

What about the people who like the new lighting? who also paid? and have watched that game evolve ?

I dislike the lighting on the more arid locations, like Takistan/desert/Shapur etc, but it's been mentioned repeatedly those are ported maps, so until there's a common fix, the devs should stick to their road map and visions of how they see THEIR game progress.

It's frustrating for the ones who don't like the change, and it's a breath of fresh air for those that do, you can please some of the people some of the time, you can't please all of the people all of the time. Who should BIS cater for seeing both camps are paying customers?

• Like 1

New lighting looks terrible on stratis, altis maps. The fact is, that it is worse on CUP maps. Check takistan map, it feels like snow / bleach everywhere !!!, so do not write it is fixed on CUP maps...

snowman.jpg

Your signature is a contradiction to your posts ;)

What about the people who like the new lighting? who also paid? and have watched that game evolve ?

I dislike the lighting on the more arid locations, like Takistan/desert/Shapur etc, but it's been mentioned repeatedly those are ported maps, so until there's a common fix, the devs should stick to their road map and visions of how they see THEIR game progress.

It's frustrating for the ones who don't like the change, and it's a breath of fresh air for those that do, you can please some of the people some of the time, you can't please all of the people all of the time. Who should BIS cater for seeing both camps are paying customers?

Bis can add settings Apex lightings on and off :p 

I know someone may like new stuff in game but for me its look like borderlands now :D   arma now looks like its not finished like one type graphic is layered on other type of graphic

• Like 1