bis_iceman

Visual Upgrade – Feedback

lights are not a local option, they are global for every player.

Having said that, I think there is some funky logic that goes on regarding which light gets rendered at any given time (only x number of lights can be rendered at once). PC performance, view options, light intensity, distance to light etc all are mixed into the equation.

Another example for ugly lighting, the military containers that are scattered all over the islands: 1.60 shows them ugly as hell and there you can't hide anymore how indoor lighting goes wrong with 1.60....the container has only one little window, it should be quite dark in there (and it was much better with 1.58)

06493676F3A289275DF679763B262B78B02269AE

HBAO+ was perfect before the visual update, now it sticks out way too much, both in interiors and exteriors. I switched back to the old HDAO and it's just better right now.

• Like 1

Splendid upgrade, thats nice you respect addon-makers and you keep support them with for example tutorials how to make their maps compatible with new lighting also  ;)

• Like 1

I would really much like the possibility to tweak the color scheme more, the new update brings a more bluish tint, compared to the older, more yellow approach and palette that has been with us somewhat since at least ARMA II. There are things I like with the update, but the colors hurt my eyes and look very unnatural, especially on modded maps. Chernarus in particular. This is especially true for the greens, the grass looks way off and way to light, and the airport at Stratis has a weird orange field in front of it now that just looks very unnatural.

Okay, I've only seen a few people make mention of this, so I guess it's not a common issue, but ever since 1.6 dropped, my terrain has started looking like this: i.imgur.com/v6UQvkf.jpg

I don't recall the terrain ever looking that gross before the update.

In addition to that terrain issue, I've also been noticing some really bad texture pop-in, it appears as though LOD kicks in roughly 30 meters in front of me. It's very noticeable when looking at trees or complex objects with AO. It really sticks out.

• Like 1

constructive criticism:

It´s to much contrast in the new visuals

Suggestion:

Please work on the nightvision!

Check this out

Waw not bad.Reminds me on Insurgency which have amazing NVG tech.

• Like 1

Waw not bad.Reminds me on Insurgency which have amazing NVG tech.

Damn yes! I have totally missed that...

A video search on Insurgency NV lead me to this awesome vid.

Please BiS, nightvision like this:

Damn yes! I have totally missed that...

A video search on Insurgency NV lead me to this awesome vid.

Please BiS, nightvision like this:

Classical technique of night fihting... but does not work anymore after the visual downgrade.

I also noticed that vehicles basically dont cast any shadows to the ground at day without HBAO+

The visual upgrade looks fine on Tanoa screenshots…

I have the feeling that perhaps the visual upgrade was specifically designed for and tested on Tanoa and ran into problems when applied to the default Islands (and the custom Islands).

My main objections are with the bad look of units and weapons when visual are configured for good looking terrain. I wonder how the current units and weapons look on Tanoa.

• Like 1

New Lighting anomaly found, the wire mesh lights up if an mobile objects is behind it. BTW you can see, the vehicle has no shadow... magic. David Copperfield?CC9E3C5240F846E51C819C8FDF59AD2A1F32ADA2

INdeed I see no gain in it when all current ArmA II islands and units are "sacrificed" for Tanoa. Im not yet done with ArmA III content since im just a few months into the game right now, since I was busy with ArmA II just until Q4 2015.

Im not a fan of giving in the old stuff all for new one.

I suggest you guys just sit back and drink some tea. As soon as this update mess is over and Tanoa is out for a week they will sure get this fixed. Also there are some optimisiations coming with 1.61.

• Like 1

New Lighting anomaly found, the wire mesh lights up if an mobile objects is behind it.

I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with lighting and is just a transparency issue with the gate texture. It's an issue that was present before the patch, although I don't know if it was present under those specfic circumstances.

Edit: Also vehicles have shadows for me.

LW3MK3il.jpg

The only way I can get them to not have shadows is by disabling shadows. Are you sure you have shadows turned on?

New Lighting anomaly found, the wire mesh lights up if an mobile objects is behind it. BTW you can see, the vehicle has no shadow... magic. David Copperfield?

At certain overcast level shadows simply disappear. It's been like the for years, but with the New Lightning it's more prominent.

Same place, same time.

Same scene in 1.58, effect speaks for itself. Settings for all my screenies is always default "Very High" just AA x2 and HBAO+. NVidia 760, 368.33 Drivers Simpel speaking...if BIS gets the shadows and overall hue of the camo (the coyote tan was spot on) back the way it was in 1.58 im silenced. IM a bit tired of switching from dev to stable to legacy all the time. Is there any way to have them as parallel installs? Currently the only true "visual upgrade" to ArmA is 1.58., despite 1.60 better water...but thats it, better water.5F7EAC20FF7516AD1FC144878FA7614F598D9124

• Like 1

At certain overcast level shadows simply disappear. It's been like the for years, but with the New Lightning it's more prominent.

Same place, same time.

http://i.imgur.com/Igk9Ydd.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/5QVQXtZ.jpg?1

your 2nd screenshot looks like sh..t, It feels no ambient light at all, I bet it is 1.60 visual upgrade. Am I right ? You can't simulate real light / feelings on PC screen. You need clearly see shadows even when overcast is 100% , it gives feelings that there is a light source above you. That 1.60 lighting / shadows looks like step back. Water, reflecation are step forward. BIS has to fix it ASAP.

The main problem with 1.60 and Altis/Stratis/UNitrs clearly shows when MTP does not look at all like MTP against the terrain. As I said i'm fond of camo stuff and I collect whole sets RLand i now how it blends into terrain. 1.60 is way off currently on Altis/Stratis while it was close to perfect in 1.58. The whole shadow indoor, outdoor, objects issue really must be solved.

• Like 1

Beagle, different angles and different weather/cloud conditions in your pictures for comparison. Can you produce the same pictures with clear skies that show major differences? 

Well before 1.60 I'd also get the odd issue with the alpha channels on certain objects, meshes and trees/bushes had them in A2 as well.

I am on dev build on a shitty low end laptop, and I can produce shadows, under the right conditions, even at the shit end of the scale.

Beagle, different angles and different weather/cloud conditions in your pictures for comparison. Can you produce the same pictures with clear skies that show major differences? 

Well before 1.60 I'd also get the odd issue with the alpha channels on certain objects, meshes and trees/bushes had them in A2 as well.

I am on dev build on a shitty low end laptop, and I can produce shadows, under the right conditions, even at the shit end of the scale.

I have never seen shadows for any wheeled vehicles in 1.60. you only notice that little bit on the wheels.

How to know if the cloud cover on you is cirrostratus or altostratus:

- Check if you can see your shadow. If you can't it's altostratus.

It happens in the real life. Altostratus is the most common and noticeable example. The clouds are very basic in the game so it's only checked from the overcast/cloudiness.

Beagle,

These are 3 screenshots taken on my shitty laptop just now, taken at 0700, 1200, and 1600 exact same location, and there's shadows galore, look at the way the Hunter reflects the natural light in each of the 3 different times, so sir, there's a LOT more to the visual upgrade than just "water" ;)

I threw the last one in for shits and giggles, shadows cast from the moon.. all on a low end shitty laptop ;) :P

http://imgur.com/a/SX3jX

Same scene in 1.58, effect speaks for itself. Settings for all my screenies is always default "Very High" just AA x2 and HBAO+. NVidia 760, 368.33 Drivers Simpel speaking...

Dayum I'm still on nvidia driver 361.91. Guess I missed a few. Well they did say it was thr best one for arma3. Be heading pascal soon so guess I'll be forced to move on now anyways.

Same place, same time.

Yeah, I just retested and shadows do pretty much disappear at overcast levels above .6 or so and also sometimes at night. That's not great.

Off course its not 1.60 lighting! Its was present on clouddy weathers when sun was covered by clouds (grey sky).