bis_iceman

Visual Upgrade – Feedback

hi Vasily.

reading the general rules i think you should remove the images from quotes, anyway, what you mean with "post your problem" ?

because my "problem" is 1.60 visual. the water reflect effect is good, but for the rest i prefer 1.58 visual...

...do you have any concrete (like specific slider values) suggestion to bring it back ?

thanks !

Its about textures, we need to wait for fix.

Those are good pictures. You're now too aggressive.

I prefer the 1.60 pictures except the ghillie suit is broken and the clouds are too bright.

//Night time could also be bit brighter but that should at least change in the next patch or so.

Clouds look ok to me. I'm not too agressive, i'm near to write big letters again, beacuse people dont read previous posts, and reporting something, that is already reported 60 times or more. someone is so broken with new update, dont play the game untill next version.

I dont see a moderator Tag on your Profile, so please dont behave as such. People are upset, what else shall they do?...as long as the complains are not offending BIS or BIS employees personally, everything´s ok. That is what a developer has to live with when he implements a major update with no rollback options. Of course they/we/I know that BIS has acknowledged this situation and will try to help us in their possible ways. 

Wait for update. This is what i always heard, When i was complaining. There is rollback option, read about 1.58 legancy

Snow you say?

Lets see 1.60 do that ^ ain't gonna happen.

Please, could you lower the contrast on your end to 70-80?

I like the new visual upgrade specially the night... now is the absolute dark around the player and the NVG works near the perfection.

Now I'm a Ninja nobody can see me ...

• Like 1

I like the new visual upgrade specially the night... now is the absolute dark around the player and the NVG works near the perfection.

Now I'm a Ninja nobody can see me ...

Exacly - see nothing in fields at the night - nobody can - this is real life, and in game develeopers tried to reproduce it - and they did. Nights cannot be light as evenings. Night look good to me. Only light sources as flashlights, flares etc. look terrible, but its already noted. Give them time to fix it, there is nothing we can do more.

I dont want such free updates which can destroy all the current visual effects and forced me to look at the new terrible light effects like "plastic" walls and buildigs on the Stratis and Alitis, plastic weapons, unreal camouflages etc etc

This ligting update was compeltely unnecesary!

None of my settings, even on my shitty laptop, on dev build shows anything like you're describing, the only plastic look I get is from my own weapons addons, that has the rvmat set for plastic.

Buildings look fine, vehicles look fine, weapons look fine, no sign of anything close to resembling "plastic"

Characters appear to still be using their default rvmats, as are vehicles, I'm pretty sure that had the upgrade had such a drastic "plastic" look and feel about it, one of the main addon makers, RHS would be up in arms over the recent graphics upgrade, but they're not....draw your own conclusions from that one. ;) 

To be honest, there is no such statistics. So that is not true.

Nor is it false since like you said there is no such statistic. But looking at this thread alone, even if the amount of people from both "camps" is comparable, the probablity that those who haven't stated their opinion are indifferent and/or have nothing against it is much higher than the other way around. If people don't like something, they usually express their feelings about it much more often.

• Like 2

I know thi is a bit OT but since many struggle with the settings and i noticed the weird setAperture behavior I post it here.

Playing around with setAperture on CUP terrains I could pretty much get the pre 1.60 lighting back, however I had to do it per map. For example on Chernarus I used 90-95 to make it look like before also on nights.

The wierd thing was that I had to enter "setAperture 90" while it was daylight, doing the same while it was dark did not change the lighting, instead it became pitch black no matter what value I used, maybe this is part of the bug?

So press ESC and play around with "setAperture nn" in the debug console while it is daylight and then use the camera to change the time to dusk/night. This has to be done per map but at least we have a workaround until things are fixed. I mostly tested on Chernarus and Thirsk don't know how it applies to desert maps.

On Altis I used "setAperture 5" to get good lighting on a moon lit night. Hope this helps some of you that want's to play night missions.

My settings in config..

Brightness: 94

Contrast: 91

Saturation: 94

/KC

Does anyone have any idea why the shadow distance is limited to only 200m?

I vaguely remember this being discussed years ago. Was it just for performance reasons? Although this doesn't seem to have too big of a hit on it.

Upper image 200m, lower 500m.

Bb1OCN5.jpg

Now that you've asked  - shadow draw distance is a soft limit. It's possible to have shadow draw distance much higher using a simple config tweak and increase its resolution proportionally so it won't lose detail.

However it causes a really weird issue. Any setting above 200m lowers object quality akin to object quality setting in-game. So close to 500m objects nearby are rendered as if set to 'Low' in options and nothing can be done about that. Wonder why?

Now that you've asked  - shadow draw distance is a soft limit. It's possible to have shadow draw distance much higher using a simple config tweak and increase its resolution proportionally so it won't lose detail.

However it causes a really weird issue. Any setting above 200m lowers object quality akin to object quality setting in-game. So close to 500m objects nearby are rendered as if set to 'Low' in options and nothing can be done about that. Wonder why?

I know, the 500m image was modded. :)

And yeah, there were some minor lod issues in the screenshots. Maybe it's some sort of hard-coded scene complexity limit that goes wonky.

Yes the LODs start to change bit worse after 100m already. That's why i don't use above 100m shadow distance.

Say your genitals break. you go the doctor and tell him your genitals are broke. The doctor says yes seems there is a problem with your genitals. I'll get Working on fix for it. Are you gonna keep sending him pics of how your genitals worked before? Probably. Because you don't listen.

Dude... I'm talking about Arma and you're talking about genitals :huh:  

Nuff said.

The wierd thing was that I had to enter "setAperture 90" while it was daylight, doing the same while it was dark did not change the lighting, instead it became pitch black no matter what value I used, maybe this is part of the bug?

It's because that's how aperture works. The aperture of a camera is the opening through which light passes to hit the sensor (or film). A wider aperture (in Arma 3 this is setting a lower number) allows more light into the camera and creates a brighter image. A smaller aperture (higher numbers in Arma) allows less light into the camera and creates a dimmer image.

It's like a dilating pupil. When it is dark out your pupils dilate to allow more light in. When it's bright your pupils constrict to limit the amount of light that gets in. What you were doing in this example was basically walking around at night with super constricted pupils, which is why it was so dark that everything appeared black. You need to set the adjust the aperture for the current light level.

By the way, this is why I posted earlier that I didn't think messing with the aperture through scripting was a viable solution. The game is supposed to automatically adjust the aperture for current light level, but by using the scripting command you are bypassing this.

Thanks for the explanation roshnak.

Maybe I'm dense but why does it make night work pretty OK when you changed the aperture during day time and then advanced the clock using the Splendid Camera but if you changed the aperture to same value during the night it gets pitch black?

/KC

Maybe I'm dense but why does it make night work pretty OK when you changed the aperture during day time and then advanced the clock using the Splendid Camera but if you changed the aperture to same value during the night it gets pitch black?

/KC

I bet you found a bug.

I've noticed that with other game effects like setfog command.

I go into the splendid camera and the setfog is gone. Just the way the game works, you can try maybe adding the code inside a ini.sqf file to see if it makes a difference. I would just avoid using the camera for now while you're tweaking.

i just noticed (on my own images, at page 37, lol) that the clock in 1.58 has light effects on it !
like at dawn has a sort of red-tint, while 1.60 seems always the same.

i just noticed (on my own images, at page 37, lol) that the clock in 1.58 has light effects on it !

like at dawn has a sort of red-tint, while 1.60 seems always the same.

That's because the new lighting is not accentuated... it's all the same basically. You can also notice the lack of oudoor and indoor shadows. To call it a visual update is a bad joke.

• Like 1

It's like a dilating pupil. When it is dark out your pupils dilate to allow more light in. When it's bright your pupils constrict to limit the amount of light that gets in. What you were doing in this example was basically walking around at night with super constricted pupils, which is why it was so dark that everything appeared black. You need to set the adjust the aperture for the current light level.

And if you'd like to try this with the real eye, stare at a white envelope on a sunny day for about five minutes and then walk into a building, be careful not to stumble over anything.

/KC

some setting changes require the game to run (no time freeze). old news. unless you had gametime >0 ....

Another example for ugly lighting, the military containers that are scattered all over the islands: 1.60 shows them ugly as hell and there you can't hide anymore how indoor lighting goes wrong with 1.60....the container has only one little window, it should be quite dark in there (and it was much better with 1.58)

06493676F3A289275DF679763B262B78B02269AE

• Like 3

Another example for ugly lighting, the military containers that are scattered all over the islands: 1.60 shows them ugly as hell and there you can't hide anymore how indoor lighting goes wrong with 1.60....the container has only one little window, it should be quite dark in there (and it was much better with 1.58)

the black spots you see is ambient occlusion, which has nothing to do with lighting whatsoever.

What he meant to say is that the whole thing should look way darker.

"ugly as hell" and "darker" is not the same thing and in this case 2 different issues. One with lighting and one with overaggressive Ambient Occlusion.

"ugly as hell" and "darker" is not the same thing and in this case 2 different issues. One with lighting and one with overaggressive Ambient Occlusion.

"Way darker" ;-)

I (seriously) don't understand why you say ambient occlusion isn't part of the lighting. Its a technique on its own, but it is still a part of the visual scene concerning lighting and shadows and should be taken into account in the total balance of lighting the scene, isn't it?

• Like 1