bis_iceman

Visual Upgrade – Feedback

sorry eh guys,i didnt wanted to cause troubles with my own point of view, i'm just worried.
one may like or not the new colors, thats ok, everyone has its own tastes.
there are for sure "bugs", like the lights too weak at night or the clothes not blending in correctly. but i hope this will be solved.

i just wish there was a button to "revert" to old graphic, so while who likes the "new version" play with it, i can still play what gives me the better feeling of realism. thats all.

PS: and i dont want to rely on mods, i'm already forced to rely on ACE3 for realistic gameplay, ALiVE for mission creations, RHS for game units, now i need also a mod for a realistic-looking graphics ?
NO THANKS, WRONG WAY. (in my opinion).

Real light was far too high a contrast, and didn't look natural, even with their natural LUT, the Greens and Blues were very prominent. FACT! They produced crisper Lighting than default, and that's what I liked about it, but didn't like the overly contrasted colours.

You seem to know an awful lot about their strategy over everyone else here, including the Dev's care to enlighten us?

LOL I gave you this impression ? sorry I don't give a shit about their strategy. If it sucks they will not get my money. I can live without Arma.

Don't spit the word fact at my face because you just gave your opinion, certainly not a fact. Too much contrast ? yeah much more than the livid 1.60. Didn't look natural ? hard to say without supporting material. Green and blue prominent ? now in 1.6 it's just green but every colors are oversaturated and fluorescent!! so realistic eh ? I don't agree with you at all.

Arguing with you leads nowhere. I posted illustrations of my observations and some rational theories about this update, the pro-update camp, and more importantly, the dev team, should do the same.

Until it gets fixed. 

But don't worry, I'll stop challenging people when I strongly disagree with them and let them talk instead about how great 1.60 is. You have the floor sir, it's all yours.

Who are you arguing with? Pretty much everyone agrees that night is too dark.

• Like 1

C'mon, it's not THAT dark :

IFg3pHy.jpg

It's in dev branch, it took me 2 sec to choose a night with full moon (as they're easier to found now).

Picture in full screen here.

I want to make a distinction about the night-time darkness for anyone discussing that. Nights should be dark. Flashlights, street lights, and flares should be the tools to deal with that darkness when not using NODs. However, days of a month that have a visible moon should be slightly brighter directly in relation to how full the moon is. (Arma2 style) Currently this is not the case, and the tools I mentioned are no where near enough to deal with the darkness, especially flares. I believe they are completely broken. I'm aware that the devs have acknowledged that night-time is broken and I have faith that they will address this in due time.  Anyway, my point is the moon phase should matter again for nights to be "fixed" in my opinion.

• Like 1

I do believe that flares need a rework as well (Not sure if already said). ArmA 2 flares were awesome because they lit up large areas. In ArmA 3 though, they are very poorly lit and only really help when they get super close to the ground. I have seen actual flare usage and those things are bright!

Yeah I might retract my statement. Nights lit by a full moon look pretty okay.

edited for empty.

In the last Consequence... if BI wants to keep the new lighting as it is they have to redo basically all Object Textures. Lighting, terrain and Objecs don't fit anymore. The whole fine balance that took them a while to produce is thrown off.

camoflaged Objects that stick out in the terrain are big no go for a military game.

Day 8 of the great experiment...still tweaking pp settings and still cant get a setting thats blends objects into terrrain, or produced believable indoor shadows (onlly black mold in the wall edges so far)

I tried Stable, Dev and Legacy, so far only legacy gives a good color setting by default. In fact I never even touched gamma and brighness before 1.60... there was never a need to do so.

im back into 1.58 because I can't stand the look of 1.60.

If the lighting stays that way... I have to stay in 1.58 with all consequences.

Meanwhile im back for ArmA II for CTI multiplayer. CTI warfare is still popular and I stil don't understand why it is not a default game mode in ArmA III.

• Like 1

I have to agree with Phantom above. He is totally spot on from a players point of view. His examples are of BALANCE.

I feel the biggest issue is not the new HDR lighting system but lack of Ambient Illumination (AI)

In 1.58, the map designers can set the overall lighting. No need for AI

With 1.60, the lighting appears to be ON OR OFF. There is no background or light bounce. Light actually reflects and bounces around until it dissipates thus if there if there are light sources, it should reflect off more items.

This appears to be why the night looks  "crushed". There are no other lights around. Even when you goto the city with streetlights, the light reflection is a big circle then crisply cuts off into pure darkness. 

This affects shadows of course as the AI light will also create smaller or lighter shadows.

I went back to 1.58 and set shadows from 100 to 600. Even though we know it is FAKE, and not HDR reflected, at least it is there. 

I think BIS can create an OPTION to enable or adjust AI so users can tailor it based on performance or visual requirements to balance the new HDR model.

For now, I'm back to 1.58 with Real Light mod as it works for all maps.

Until it gets fixed. 

But don't worry, I'll stop challenging people when I strongly disagree with them and let them talk instead about how great 1.60 is. You have the floor sir, it's all yours.

Challenging who? What are you on about. Night time issues were acknowledged by a Dev in direct reply to your post last week. yes last week. But here you still are.

you purposely choose to ignore it was acknowledged. and spam the Dev feedback taking up whole pages with screens of the acknowledged problem. here is is again heres another example here we go again. Brace yourself I found more screens. Its useless garbage.

Say your genitals break. you go the doctor and tell him your genitals are broke. The doctor says yes seems there is a problem with your genitals. I'll get Working on fix for it. Are you gonna keep sending him pics of how your genitals worked before? Probably. Because you don't listen.

• Like 6

Dude you need to figure out that it is not ARMA 3 devs job to fix PORTED maps. Go to CUP Terrains thread and tell them what is wrong with map and hopefully they will fix it. 

I know

But you are wrong - i payed for the game and I want to to have second option - compeltely disable unused features!

So why the checkbox or drop down list "Disable new lighting" or something like this is not available?!

Why I'm forced to use new completely unuseful for me features?

• Like 1

Again 'I want' and the attitude related to it is one of the reasons this post is the way it is.

BI aren't obligated to upgrade the game at all. Before anyone selfishly taunts 'Great, I would have my old visuals', we wouldn't have sling roping, weapons resting and a whole host of additions made after the games release.

Posters need to grow up and discuss the facts, not narssictic needs.

• Like 2

I know

But you are wrong - i payed for the game and I want to to have second option - compeltely disable unused features!

So why the checkbox or drop down list "Disable new lighting" or something like this is not available?!

You paid for the original game, every update has been free gratis, you're not getting short changed, the original release was bugged to hell, and has come a long way visually and content wise, would you pay for these updates, or keep expecting them to make the game better for free ?

I know

You obviously have no idea how the game works. It never is a simple case of "adding the on/off switch" if even possible at all (most likely not).

Also you payed for the GAME and the content it has. You can't expect that the money you spent on the official content you don't use entitles you to getting any official support for UNOFFICIAL content you wish to use.

• Like 1

You obviously have no idea how the game works. It never is a simple case of "adding the on/off switch" if even possible at all (most likely not).

Also you payed for the GAME and the content it has. You can't expect that the money you spent on the official content you don't use entitles you to getting any official support for UNOFFICIAL content you wish to use.

I know - but Im don't intersted in how the game works. Only one I want to have - to have a choice to do or not such dramatic and unnecessary updates! Also in case when im playing official content! Don't want t be forced tu use unnecesary updates!

Why they didnt give me a choice to install or not such update?!

But if you don't care about it, why don't you just revert back to 1.58? I mean, obviously you want the game the same as you bought it. Since Version 1.00, or whatever, is not available you can go back to the previous version (since I assume you are fine with that one) 
You are in no way forced to use the 1.60 update. Believe me, BI is not suing you for using the legacy build. 

LOL. That looks terrible.

Because of my video settings. I don't exactly have the best PC at the moment. Anyhow though, the night looks fine. Some light sources do need tweaking as we already found out since its inception, but otherwise we don't need it to start looking like Battlefield 3 night maps. The visuals look realistic and that's what counts. Tweaking with other little things will always be an available option to improve the look.

• Like 1

You paid for the original game, every update has been free gratis, you're not getting short changed, the original release was bugged to hell, and has come a long way visually and content wise, would you pay for these updates, or keep expecting them to make the game better for free ?

I dont want such free updates which can destroy all the current visual effects and forced me to look at the new terrible light effects like "plastic" walls and buildigs on the Stratis and Alitis, plastic weapons, unreal camouflages etc etc

This ligting update was compeltely unnecesary!

"Unnecessary" is a subjective term. Most users are either happy with the update or indifferent to it.

Those that aren't... well... there's always "last stable" branch on Steam, at least it gives time for everybody to adjust and prepare.

I dont want such free updates which can destroy all the current visual effects and forced me to look at the new terrible light effects like "plastic" walls and buildigs on the Stratis and Alitis, plastic weapons, unreal camouflages etc etc

That's not productive criticism. That's just straight up exaggeration.

• Like 2

I know - but Im don't intersted in how the game works. Only one I want to have - to have a choice to do or not such dramatic and unnecessary updates! Also in case when im playing official content! Don't want t be forced tu use unnecesary updates!

Why they didnt give me a choice to install or not such update?!

- enabling too many options in a game is not practical if the game is still being developed. With each change of the game, all the different options have to be checked and balanced.

- Steam does auto-update on your games, you can disable this.

Ps. i'm not happy with some of the changes either, and have reverted to the previous version of the game as I wait for improvements.

Most users are either happy with the update or indifferent to it.

To be honest, there is no such statistics. So that is not true.

• Like 1