bis_iceman

Visual Upgrade – Feedback

Does it ?

Ouch , it looks horrible ! 0.51 what hapens to that wreck ?!

• Like 1

are you just about to create a project that might help to attrackt more people getting ArmA and gaining money on the Dev´s side? Many people getting new to ArmA just because they hear from friends which cool maps have been released by mod authors. Without them BIS would sell way less copies of the game and would earn way less money. Consider ArmA beeing a game just with the Vanilla Maps and vanilla DLC´s without an Editor and without Modding possibilities...what would we have?

So what the mod authors are complaining about is not only the update itself (which definately has it´s pros) it´s the fact that BIS should have been prepared better before rolling out the update and release tweaking tutorials and options to play around with lighting effects prior the release. That would be somethings that would prevent us Mod Authors from complaining. It´s all about communication.

We are not even sure if BIS at all will take a Hand on reported issues, all we know is that the know about it and that they might (or might not) care about...communication...that´s what we´re complaining about.

JUST BE LITTLE PATIENT (and 100th time again, wait for documentation of changes, so all mod developers will be able to fix/update their assets).

Awesome! Thanks for this update. Now night missions are actually playable again!

There allways was possibility to revert one version back.

Don't like the new visuals, sorry. Old was realistic, this is unnatural and looks horrible.

Custom map, sorry, but already 2 people (or more) answered about this (including me), if you cant read, dont write please, beacuse forum is not the place for you.

• Like 1

Ouch , it looks horrible ! 0.51 what hapens to that wreck ?!

What do you mean? Looks fine to me.

Custom map, sorry, but already 2 people (or more) answered about this (including me), if you cant read, dont write please, beacuse forum is not the place for you.

Custom map? What are you on about?

My Arma3 is 100% vanilla and the new visuals look horrible. Contrast and saturation are set to "candy" mode. Maybe with some cheap TN-display this might actually look better, but on decent display those shadows and lights are crushed/burned. 

• Like 1

My only problem are night missions atm. And yes I know that this might be worked on, but if flares and flashlights do not work properly they maybe should have waited. 
Don't understand me wrong. I really like the Visual Upgrade. With a bit of tweaking in the settings you get something really nice. My problem is while the nights are okay by me, I mean, nights are dark and you need help from NVGs or flashlights it just does not work correctly. 

While flashlights are work perfectly fine for each client you can only barely (and I mean VERY lightly) see  the flashlights from other player. If that's fixed I'm happy! ^^

Water looks good in 1.60 why don't you try to focus on custom terrains? mid range textures? grass foliage?

You show water because you know it looks good.

• Like 3

white sunset ? , have u seen sunset without clouds / clear sky like that in your life ???  white is everything, buy some specs ! white/dark/brown like old ID quake...(which was good for that game but not for arma...)

white sunset ? , have u seen sunset without clouds / clear sky like that in your life ???  white is everything, buy some specs ! white/dark/brown like old ID quake...

Why are we keep talking about custom made terrains?This is visual upgrade and feedback for stratis and altis, non other.

Community made terrains needs to be updated by their creators.

Yeah but during old-school times, there was a certain vision of the future and a real desire to go for it. So if the present does not match the past desires, it is rejected. The old visual render was not the best but was good enough. It was welcome to be upgraded but not like this.

Is that why everybody still drives a Model T-Ford then? ;)

When I was a kid ( long time ago) the first video game was a plug in to the TV that let you hit a dot with a flat thing and it was fun, then came the commodores and spectrums, and then the sega mega drives and PC's which have got better and better and better pushing the limits constantly.

Do you recall OFP when it was the dogs bollocks and you thought everything that was made up of 200 Poly's was awesome? and that there was nothing like it? but it evolved as the developers had vision, and that vision continues today, everything is progressing towards APEX they also have a target audience that reaches far beyond these forums with their global sales, they have a road map to how THEY see their future, and where they want the game to be, and how it looks. 

There's an old saying, you can please some of the people some of the time, you cannot please all of the people all of the time.

I stick by my original comments, some people just don't like, and wont accept change, and nothing anyone says or does convinces them otherwise, till the finally realisse that things are not going to start going backwards. ;)  ( been there, done that)

Water looks good in 1.60 why don't you try to focus on custom terrains? mid range textures? grass foliage?

Utes is a custom terrain and it looks good

mid range textures weren't changed, they've always been looking shitty.

Grass foliage wasn't changed either so far I know, looks the same. But speaking about foliage, take a look here https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/191186-lod-issues-discussion/. I am not saying everything is they changed was good.

Why are we keep talking about custom made terrains?This is visual upgrade and feedback for stratis and altis, non other.

Community made terrains needs to be updated by their creators.

If that would be so easy, most of the changes are sitting deep in the engine and cant be adjusted pretty much. I´ve tested Taunus with newest config parameters and they changed nothings...

Community made assets are what keeps ArmA alive...

• Like 1

Custom map? What are you on about?

My Arma3 is 100% vanilla and the new visuals look horrible. Contrast and saturation are set to "candy" mode. Maybe with some cheap TN-display this might actually look better, but on decent display those shadows and lights are crushed/burned. 

UTES IS NOT ARMA 3 ORIGINAL MAP!!!!!

Vanilla mean no mods - you are not using vanilla. Contrast and Saturation can be changed in options......

Again, its custom map. Dont you understand?!

My only problem are night missions atm. And yes I know that this might be worked on, but if flares and flashlights do not work properly they maybe should have waited. 

Don't understand me wrong. I really like the Visual Upgrade. With a bit of tweaking in the settings you get something really nice. My problem is while the nights are okay by me, I mean, nights are dark and you need help from NVGs or flashlights it just does not work correctly. 

While flashlights are work perfectly fine for each client you can only barely (and I mean VERY lightly) see  the flashlights from other player. If that's fixed I'm happy! ^^

Developers already taken note about it.

It's funny how people try to convince us that the new lighting can look good on custom terrains.. We are not blind thanks God and we can make our own conclusions.

@memphisbelle Wait, are you saying because there has been no official comment or feedback from BI since that tweet on 6/5 (15 hours ago at this point) that's too long?

AGAIN, it doesn't matter if all you play are custom maps, BI is here (it's their business) to update and be responsible for the content they sell. Not the free mods. It's not that anyone is trying to say the modded maps look perfect with the new lighting, everyone is saying it's not down to bi to base their upgrades on the mods, just their original content.

It's the weekend, they're off doing whatever they do on the weekends, leave them alone until the workweek starts.

Just as FYI, with Arma 2, when the updates would break the game ( by game I mean the mods wouldn't work like they should) players could wait up to a week for an update or the mods to be fixed. Do the vets remember ACE breaking nearly every update...lol

What I don't remember is the bad attitudes and sense the players were owed so much so quickly.

For those being unreasonable. This isn't about you and no, the world doesn't owe you what you think it does.

• Like 8

What I don't remember is the bad attitudes and sense the players were owed so much so quickly.

This

I don't like visual update. It is too bright and oversaturated. You changed RGB balance, that really make my eyes cry.

I don't like visual update. It is too bright and oversaturated. You changed RGB balance, that really make my eyes cry.

Are you referring to vanilla or custom maps? For if there is one thing that makes my eyes cry, it is the look of some custom maps - regardless the visual update...

I'm with mustangdelta on this one: the spoiled child attitude is getting annoying; go bore your parents!

Are you referring to vanilla or custom maps? For if there is one thing that makes my eyes cry, it is the look of some custom maps - regardless the visual update...

I'm with mustangdelta on this one: the spoiled child attitude is getting annoying; go bore your parents!

Vanilla maps

UTES IS NOT ARMA 3 ORIGINAL MAP!!!!!

Vanilla mean no mods - you are not using vanilla. Contrast and Saturation can be changed in options......

Again, its custom map. Dont you understand?!

Developers already taken note about it.

Let me spell it for you.

I dont use mods,

my Arma 3 is 100% vanilla,

I don't have Utes,

new visuals look wrong

Don't attack me like that when it's YOU who cannot read.

Again, I don't use mods, I don't like the oversaturated colors and crushed blacks.

If that would be so easy, most of the changes are sitting deep in the engine and cant be adjusted pretty much. I´ve tested Taunus with newest config parameters and they changed nothings...

Community made assets are what keeps ArmA alive...

Good point.

I'm curious about CUP terrains - those are updated, and they look good.What is the issue with Taunus?

You don't like this either?

http://sh8.videopilot.link/arma3/

Yes, that software good to make screenshots, but in long run I prefer old 1.58 picture. Btw, I don't know how to describe the problem with 1.60. But I cannot balance settings to get good "picture". Looks like some objects are too bright/saturated. Settings changes the whole balance and couldn't fix that. The colours are unbalanced between objects/terrain/sky/etc.

BI has stated if you want help, as a modder correcting your map based on the new visual effects, you can just ask them, literally. Not sure why this is still an issue. Either you want to fix it or you don't. But to be honest, perhaps everyone should just give BI some breathing room, because APEX is the core pillar of attention right now, despite them still helping the community here and there. They're trying to get us what they've been working so hard on for probably a little over 2 years now.

• Like 1

When people started using Solano's Real Light addon, it was hailed as "breathtaking and awesome" I somewhat agreed as I used it for a while too, till a previous update kind of broke it, but I found that I had to change LUT's so get a good balance, but I always found the contrast too high and the colours too vivid with his default setting. He was hailed a visionary.

But when BiS do it, they're villains and horrible people?

Seriously, if the update pisses you off that much, you're taking the game, way too seriously, I always find that if someone, or something is annoying me to that extent, I ignore them, or stop doing whatever it is that perplexes me.. yeah yeah yeah, paying customers and all that, but you paid for the original game, which was bugged to fuck on release, and has improved exponentially over 3 years, nobody has been shortchanged here.

BIS, could have, like many other games makers left it without any updates at all.

There's some aspects of the visuals I don't like, but for me, I'm getting value for my money, and quite happy and the whole community addon's completely change this game.

People are entitled to their opinions, it's how life works, don't like the new visuals, fine, like them, also fine, but I'd be more pissed taking a backwards step than progressing.  

• Like 3