bis_iceman

Visual Upgrade – Feedback

You guys do great work, but I'm sorry to say I strongly disagree for multiple reasons, and it's not complicated it's very simple to why I disagree. Here's why...

The Thing Classified Specimen.

A3 original

A3 Visual Upgrade

Every mission I've done looks like this. Tell me exactly how I'm suppose to feel excited about that? I don't have a crew of people to help me, it's just me so.... I quit, for now atleast. I'll come back eventually but as of now it's peace out and closing down shop. No hard feelings to BIS developers, it's their game and they can do whatever they want with it. It's still a cool game and I'm sure plenty of people will enjoy it.

Doomsday Night, good times :)

They specified that you have to adapt time&weather setting in order to fine a set that you like.

I add to do this to all my missions, and it's logical to have this kind of change with a visual upgrade.

My main concern is night lighting and the fact that the camoflage schemes now don't work well with the terrain. The formerly coyote brown NATO vehicles are tan now, and the AAF and CSAT schemes contain white parts that shimmer and the texture LOD changes make is worse. Camo does not work anymore.

• Like 3

Altis looks great if you just adjust the post processing settings.  It's a lot of the community made terrains that are suffering right now due to the lack of documentation from BI on the necessary config and rvmat changes.  

Even without post processing, the visual MUST be fine by default. And I consider unacceptable the fact that the current state of this upgrade forces everyone to painfully tweak advanced options to get an eye-edible game.

• Like 4

You guys do great work, but I'm sorry to say I strongly disagree for multiple reasons, and it's not complicated it's very simple to why I disagree. Here's why...

The Thing Classified Specimen.

A3 original

the%20thing_zps0hn854ro.jpg

A3 Visual Upgrade

agsdasd_zpswzhuzy7i.jpg

Every mission I've done looks like this. Tell me exactly how I'm suppose to feel excited about that? I don't have a crew of people to help me, it's just me so.... I quit, for now atleast. I'll come back eventually but as of now it's peace out and closing down shop. No hard feelings to BIS developers, it's their game and they can do whatever they want with it. It's still a cool game and I'm sure plenty of people will enjoy it.

Doomsday Night, good times :)

107410_screenshots_2015-12-10_00001_zpsy

Did you bother Read the comment made by developer in this tread a few after your own. were he acknowledged night visuals need work and they will tweak it. or did that not quench your thirst for false drama?

Can't see how it's helpful ignoring whats been said.to just keep repeating the same feedback and then announce you're leaving like a scene from a chick flic.

• Like 4

Did you bother Read the comment made by developer in this tread a few after your own. were he acknowledged night visuals need work and they will tweak it. or did that not quench your thirst for false drama?

Can't see how it's helpful ignoring whats been said.to just keep repeating the same feedback and then announce you're leaving like a scene from a chick flic.

I don't know if you're familiar with Phantom's work but if not, he's not only a mission maker, but a talent with a keen eye for atmosphere and mood. He's simply one of the best around because his attention to detail shows. I can't blame him for feeling deflated and responding to direct quotes essentially telling him the lighting is fine and just needs minor tweaks.

It is not fine. Not in the daytime and definitely not in the nighttime.

I'm happy BIS has acknowledged there's an issue and I look forward to the fix.

I don't know if you're familiar with Phantom's work but if not, he's not only a mission maker, but a talent with a keen eye for atmosphere and mood. He's simply one of the best around because his attention to detail shows. I can't blame him for feeling deflated and responding to direct quotes essentially telling him the lighting fine and just needs minor tweaks.

It is not fine. Not in the daytime and definitely not in the nighttime.

I'm happy BIS has acknowledged there's an issue and I look forward to the fix.

I don't know of his missions. I'm sure they are a hoot. He has a penchant for the amateur dramatics.

I acknowledge there is a problem with night visuals /light source's. I don't think many have disputed this even devs which is why I'm confused as to rant.

The daytime I think is a matter of opinion. For me old altis visuals had one stand colour "dirt". A sandy brown dirt on everything. Go to ghost hotel the swimming pool. Look at it on 1.58 then look at 160. You might catch what is ment by the dirt on everything The beach there too. You can see the waterline on sand with 1.60. 158 dirt sandy dirt all the same mixing in.

Maybe it's my monitor? I'm on 1440p? Maybe I'm missing something. Again it seems more about opinion on daytime again needing tweaks( provided you have spent time on new graphics settings. I was doing Dev and rc so had more time to adjust).

Still tweaking to find a good middle ground and as already confirmed by the dev's night/dusk needs more love. Also noticed we "lost" the big dark clouds and replaced by a pretty flat overcast. Great to have overcast but would be even better to have both ;)

Was pleasantly surprised that the age old problem going from under water to surface now is gone and of course the waterline on beaches and water alone is a big improvement.

/KC

• Like 2

Perhaps you'd like to share those magical settings that turn the night into anything more than a black mess?

Relax-Dwarden literally just said Bi are aware that the nights are still too dark and will be addressing it. ANd that for me is the only issue with the stunning visual pgrade.If I can run a night mission on a full moon without NVG's again I will be so happy.Oh-and if fires and chemlights once again light up more.

• Like 2

Nights don't need much work, just a small change to the default aperture e.g.

wTPmB2n.jpg

• Like 2

Honestly my opinion is the new lighting is amazing. There are 3 things that Aesthetically i feel are a must

1. Return of the proper shadows
  2. Lighting sourced from the sky based on moon phase/stars that are also able to be covered by clouds (an idea to BI on how to fix night)
  3. Increase Flare and chemlight lighting just a bit
  • Like 1

I must be one of the few out there that really likes the visual update and would hate to see it rolled back. Apart from tweaking the night lighting, which the devs said they would work on, I think overall the day  looks leaps and bounds better than the old Arma 3. The beaches look more natural. The ocean looks more natural. Sky and clouds look more natural. Altis, as a whole, looks way more natural. It feels like a whole new game.

• Like 1

The thing is that you need to find the right settings. I found about the right settings for me after 30mins (back in the day when it hit dev-branch). Now I've fine tuned it a bit.

I can give my settings:

gamma=0.83006543; // 0.8
ppBrightness=1.1549608; // 115
ppContrast=0.99156141; // 99
ppSaturation=1.1698157; // 117
brightness=0.74836606; // 0.7

Ended up being just a bit too bright, but brought ppBrightness down to 100 and it's perfect.  Nice rich colors, crisp visuals all around.  Actually getting 10-15FPS more than 1.58.  The Gamma adjustment was especially key for looking good.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Because we still have a sterile debate based on pure subjective opinions, can the devs post to us a solid procedure to tweak the graphic settings to reach the intended quality ? To be honest we still don't know shit about the real goals of this upgrade in scientific terms (why the contrast should be that, why the colors are saturated, why they wanted to add gross baked ambient occlusion at default settings, etc…). How TF do look Arma 3 on the devs' screens ???

• Like 1

Well, this doesn't bring much to the 'debate' but the only complaint I personally have is that nights are too dark thingy, although to my understanding nights are pretty much pitch black the nearer to the equator your are (?), so maybe it's just the light sources being so dim just are too dim for this dark and need quite a bit of juicing up. Dunno.

Daytime looks good, there's maybe a really small fraction of too much contrast (you get almost a 'light burn' on for example the player character's brighter parts).

Very short tests on Altis, don't really see the point complaining if some mod terrain doesn't work yet :shrug:

Dunno how much drivers, GPU and monitor play a part in this, I have GTX970 (IIRC :P ) with some very ancient FarCry4 era drivers (don't really update them unless there's some problems) and a very old IPS monitor.

Under NVG the ground tends to appear black, but grass is white when there is a fire burning inside a 200m-300m range. Looks indeed like straight from ArmA II again.

MX rifles and MK18 Are much too bright now in appearance, in low light the weapons sticks out like painted white instead of Coyote or flat brown earth, the colours mostly used for camo paint on rifles. The Rifles appear much paler then any other gear which negates the camoflage idea behind paintign weapons. This is regardless of PP settings. Same problem goes for the near white parts of CSAT and AAF camo paints.

• Like 3

@Beagle, please provide screenshots or video, thanks

Here is a summary of the settings that members have posted over the past 48 hours:

DISPLAY
Bright = 0.8/0.7/0.8
Gamma = 0.9/0.8/0.8

AA & PP
Bright = 105/100/95
Contrast = 120/99/90
Sat = 115/117/100

I find it interesting to see that many of the recommendations average out to practically 100 which is the default setting.
So this makes me wonder how much monitor calibration may be to blame.
Ultimately, it seems that apart from nocturnal lighting, many of the complaints seem quite subjective.

Because we still have a sterile debate based on pure subjective opinions, can the devs post to us a solid procedure to tweak the graphic settings to reach the intended quality ? To be honest we still don't know shit about the real goals of this upgrade in scientific terms (why the contrast should be that, why the colors are saturated, why they wanted to add gross baked ambient occlusion at default settings, etc…). How TF do look Arma 3 on the devs' screens ???

I totaly agree.

But still it obviously looks weird now, wich can not be the goal and it's ridiculous if we need instructions to set our settings just to get a decent screen (wich always was good in this game already by default, the way it should).

BI, you keep deadsilent about the apex update and now mess up our visual. What the hell is going on over there?

it's ridiculous if we need instructions to set our settings just to get a decent screen

I agree, he he he.

On a serious note, in which way the ones having trouble adjusting the settings to their liking are actually adjusting them? Little by little and checking the results and then adjusting some more of those settings that you find are still off?

Or is it more like this:

J2fgHrI.gif

and then heading to the forums to ridicule the work and motivations of Bohemia?

• Like 3

For whose interested by screen gamma calibration (the most critical setting IHMO before white balance) I use this chart:

GammaRGB.jpg

from this quite old website: http://www.normankoren.com/ but containing a lot of precious info about color management.

I agree that this should really not be needed and I understand quite a few people not following this/and other discussions will be quite disappointed. That said at the moment tweaking it our self is the best we can do until fixed by BIS - I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.

So this makes me wonder how much monitor calibration may be to blame.

Monitor calibration make huge difference also what kind of technology the LCD monitor use, thus for examples my settings don't apply to any one else. So using the link above is a good idea before you start tweaking. I spent ~20 minutes tweaking and found a pretty good middle ground for me (nights are still an issue).

If you struggle with finding acceptable settings for your monitor in particular here is how I did it.

First use the calibration on the display tab to adjust Brightness and Gamma (the X should not be visible and the V should barely be visible). After that place your self on Altis and set overcast to 45% adjust the sliders the best you can. Press ESC and select Camera use the camera to change the time in small'ish increments OBS! the preview in camera view is way off so it's important to jump back in to the game for seeing the effect. If needed tweak settings the rinse and repeat at different times.

I also change my position to woods,grassy areas,villages a few times to judge the best settings. Another thing to observe is to tweak so you don't see any bandings in the sky.

I have never dived in the mediterranean so I have no clue how it looks in RL but I noticed that the water is now murky with very low visibility. I liked the pre 1.60 under water look/feeling.

/KC

• Like 1

I've spent about an hour on tweaking, but not satisfied yet.

Among other things, like others have mentioned:

- White parts are glowing, which you can counter a bit by reducing bloom, but I'm not sure that's how it should be

- Military stuff glows too much and is sometimes shiny! For instance fly around in black Ghosthawk during bright day. It's shiny. Military things are not shiny.

- Too much green

- Visual settings have different effect on close-by and far-away objects/terrain

I'll try some more, to also allow time for some 'getting used to'. I do wonder two things though:

- Who is happy with the default visual settings? Or has everyone at least tweaked the settings?

- To me the default new visual settings looked awful, objectively overexposed. I would expect some other default settings at least. It's strange to think new players who just bought the game will be greeted by these visuals.

I don't see the point in not working a bit on your settings. 
"Default" does not mean "Ideal for each and everyone". I mean, thats the reason we have these settings: To adjust to our liking.

I do like the visual update.
Sure it needs some work (e.g. flares are somewhat useless from what I've seen so far) but to game just looks way better than before. (My opinion)

• Like 1

Here's how the 4 'Sniper' class doods look in the new 1.60 graphics, with a standard rifleman for comparison, one poor slob seems to be actually glowing!

Notice how their weapons are also too bright (including the riflemans) even when in shadow. 

Needless to say I've been trying all sorts of graphics combinations with the ingame settings and my graphics card settings and my monitor settings to try to get things looking better, with no success (sniffle).

For two pins I'd try to revert to the old version graphics but I didn't like the purple horizon haze in them, so I'd like to suggest the devs get rid of the purple haze then we can all revert..:)

AA3-v-160-snips1_zpsyghqfiug.jpg~origina

AA3-v160-snips2_zpsc7yvytod.jpg~original

• Like 1