bis_iceman

Visual Upgrade – Feedback

Agreed.

Visual update? i think visual downgrade its better definition

+1

3 things:

lighting is abstract everyone have their own taste what looks good

this reminds me on changing font - people really needed to get use to it

If you happen to not like it be helpful and tell what could be better.

Another problem with vehicle camo now is the reflectiveness. You do not use glossy paint for vehicle camo, but in ArmA the camo vehicle surfaces (black one too)  reflect sunlight like shiny varnish.

the CSAT camo in particular now look like a winter camo for central europe.

• Like 1

The visual update looks great on Altis, but that's because of course BI is holding the keys to the kingdom and know what they're doing.  We terrain makers and editors are being left in the dark right now with no documentation as to what we need to do to our terrains to get them looking normal again.  When BI makes big changes like this they need to do a much better job of having technical documentation available to modders on patch day.  

• Like 2

The visual update looks great on Altis, but that's because of course BI is holding the keys to the kingdom and know what they're doing.  We terrain makers and editors are being left in the dark right now with no documentation as to what we need to do to our terrains to get them looking normal again.  When BI makes big changes like this they need to do a much better job of having technical documentation available to modders on patch day.  

How cant quote you!!!! +100000

Can you look out of the window please? Thank you, we got summer, in A3 this is Greece. Anything more?

I'm was talking about color setting.  :face_palm: Previously Red was dominant color, now it's Green.

Graphics in armed assault showcase is really bad especially with HBAO+ ON.

I'm was talking about color setting.  :face_palm: Previously Red was dominant color, now it's Green.

Graphics in armed assault showcase is really bad especially with HBAO+ ON.

Leave the green area and head to desert, or town, you should see how colour temperature is. changing. Take in account weather, time etc., and leave facepalms for yourself please. And tune your monitor, if that doesnt help.

http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/chik1978/media/Arma/evening.jpg.html

http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/chik1978/media/Arma/noon.jpg.html

http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/chik1978/media/Arma/morning.jpg.html

Leave the green area and head to desert, or town, you should see how colour temperature is. changing. Take in account weather, time etc., and leave facepalms for yourself please. And tune your monitor, if that doesnt help.

http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/chik1978/media/Arma/evening.jpg.html

http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/chik1978/media/Arma/noon.jpg.html

http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/chik1978/media/Arma/morning.jpg.html

You are talking of altis / stratis map , dat Devs know what they are doing check my desert how look before and after 

Before ( 1.58 )

13308732_232084053850457_657938881592546

And now 1.60 

3629318AC1802D35ABDA78A1656848643364C491

Thank go i can roll back to 1.58, thx bis to add this features ( the roll back i mean )

Please, express yourself in single post instead of writing 3 of them everytime . If you forgot something, you can edit your post any time.

• Like 1

Please, express yourself in single post instead of writing 3 of them everytime . If you forgot something, you can edit your post any time.

Sorry sometimes the madness come out

Unfortunately, I've got a couple of complaints.

First thing I noticed the moment I was in a game/mission, it was jagged edges everywhere, as if no AA was applied (more on this later - but I can live with this).

Second and most important, as I started playing, I noticed the game was not so smooth anymore (even in SP mission that used to be smooth like butter). So there must have been a pretty big performance impact. I turned on fraps, and did some testing, wrote it all down, and downloaded legacy 1.58 version to compare.

The difference is 10fps on my pc, which is quite terrible. It went from reasonably smooth and enjoyable performance to barely enjoyable, I really hope you guys can fix this, because even though it looks great, 10fps in Arma is huge. It's 9-11 fps on every single mission I tested, including the official vehicle showcase.

My specs are: i5 2500, 6gb ram, Radeon 6950 1gb. If you need any more info or anything else that can help you pinpoint the source of this issue, let me know.

Unfortunately, I've got a couple of complaints.

First thing I noticed the moment I was in a game/mission, it was jagged edges everywhere, as if no AA was applied (more on this later - but I can live with this).

Second and most important, as I started playing, I noticed the game was not so smooth anymore (even in SP mission that used to be smooth like butter). So there must have been a pretty big performance impact. I turned on fraps, and did some testing, wrote it all down, and downloaded legacy 1.58 version to compare.

The difference is 10fps on my pc, which is quite terrible. It went from reasonably smooth and enjoyable performance to barely enjoyable, I really hope you guys can fix this, because even though it looks great, 10fps in Arma is huge. It's 9-11 fps on every single mission I tested, including the official vehicle showcase.

My specs are: i5 2500, 6gb ram, Radeon 6950 1gb. If you need any more info or anything else that can help you pinpoint the source of this issue, let me know.

Water shader and reflection on water is hitting my FPS by 5 only but you can try disabling that one and check then

Nothing else is not hitting my FPS in game or changing it drastically in new update.

altis/stratis vanilla (maxed out 1920x1200):

i dislike the new visual upgrade for me it looks like a downgrade (except for water/nv), everything oversaturated, even with manual settings. flares & light sticks are complete useless now, u barely notice the ingame time compared to ingame visual. 0600 looks like 1200-1400 etc, i tested those lightning settings on several IPS and AMVA panels and on those they look terrible, only on TN panels it looks kinda of ok (lack of colors...)

so for me its a major downgrade.

custom maps like CUP Terrains same but even worse (but i know this is a lightning setting mod creators should set) on bright maps like takistan/zargabad etc

I had an HD6950 and immediately noticed a significant performance loss as soon as the visual upgrade dropped on dev branch (without enabling any new features like the water reflections) and I've seen at least one other comment to that effect by another HD6950 owner. While I was obviously disappointed (because I had Arma looking and running sweet) I had to admit to myself that it was an older card (Q1 2011) and possibly its time had come. People running more modern cards don't seem to have experienced any adverse effect on FPS so I think it's probably just a generational inefficiency.

edited for empty.

@DJankovic - Thanks for the tip, but I disabled that, just forgot to mention it in the last post.

@defunkt - The thing is, I remember one of the BIS devs saying something like: only thing that should affect performance is water reflections, lighting is mostly just config tweaks so it shouldn't affect performance unless you enable reflections (or something like that). 

Another thing why I'm still hoping this is some kind of bug and not generational inefficiency is, all the other new graphical features didn't have that significant impact. For example HBAO+ is not that heavy on my 6950 in Arma, the new water reflections had 3-4 fps impact over water from the quick test I did (which seems about right - not more than other people reported with newer gpu's - the people who didn't report additional performance loss other than from turning on water reflections).

10 fps loss without any new feature turned on is way too much. 2x AA and HBAO+ combined cause that kind of fps hit.

Phantom, as I said over in the Steam thread, I'm a big fan of your work. Dead ISIS is one of my favorite missions ever and inspired me to begin to learn the editor. The atmosphere and ambience you capture is second to none.

Thanks a lot for the breakdown and I hope BIS sees these photos and rectifies the problem.

Those new shots look absolutely awful.

Guys, remember to change hours/ time for your missions, with light changes sunset/sunrise and light modifications were changed

For me, this update works well at night.

Obv, there are very vocal other forum users that say it doesn't.

So can you guys put some links up for your missions so I can compare on my system?

I'm not ripping on you guys or anything, but what you see doesn't correlate to what I see.

• Like 1

@defunkt - The thing is, I remember one of the BIS devs saying something like: only thing that should affect performance is water reflections, lighting is mostly just config tweaks so it shouldn't affect performance unless you enable reflections (or something like that). 

Another thing why I'm still hoping this is some kind of bug and not generational inefficiency is, all the other new graphical features didn't have that significant impact. For example HBAO+ is not that heavy on my 6950 in Arma, the new water reflections had 3-4 fps impact over water from the quick test I did (which seems about right - not more than other people reported with newer gpu's - the people who didn't report additional performance loss other than from turning on water reflections).

10 fps loss without any new feature turned on is way too much. 2x AA and HBAO+ combined cause that kind of fps hit.

I understand and felt much the same but as nobody else seemed to be experiencing any FPS drops I didn't really think there was anything to do but accept that it was just my bad luck to have a card whose pipeline/driver/whatever just happened to be more efficient with the old parameters/shaders/whatever than the new. And honestly I still don't, if it works well for everybody else and just happens to optimize poorly on a small subset of 5 year old cards that's probably not grounds for BIS to reverse the change.

And it wasn't just my FPS that suffered, personally I much prefer the IQ I had before (using Real Light) but you can't stop progress and most people seem to really like the update. BIS will never please everybody, all they can do is try and implement what works best for the majority of players.

On the subject of night lighting it's probably too far the other way now but it always used to frustrate me that it was just about impossible to achieve a pitch-black night before the update.

For me, this update works well at night.

Obv, there are very vocal other forum users that say it doesn't.

So can you guys put some links up for your missions so I can compare on my system?

I'm not ripping on you guys or anything, but what you see doesn't correlate to what I see.

Here's Phantom's Workshop page. http://steamcommunity.com/id/sig3013/myworkshopfiles/?appid=107410

This link would contain all of the missions for the photos he posted above.

Here's Phantom's Workshop page. http://steamcommunity.com/id/sig3013/myworkshopfiles/?appid=107410

This link would contain all of the missions for the photos he posted above.

Sweet, I'll check it out.

Any clue as to where and when all the photos were taken though?  Would save me time trying to get similar angles etc.