bis_iceman

Visual Upgrade – Feedback

Definitely good to see any improvement in the NVG effect but I think there's room for much more. It's something that gets used a lot in Arma and I'd love to see a more convincing implementation than green-with-grain. I'm thinking greater contrast, more bloom and a greater drop-off over distance, ideally configurable per-device so varied generations of NV gear could be differentiated.

A quick example using the in-game Bloom and Contrast sliders;

Vanilla

Custom (Bloom 200, Contrast 125)

I think the second looks more authentic and it's good for gameplay if NVG don't offer what is essentially vision equivalent to operating in daylight (though still much better than the pitch-blackness which was otherwise in effect in that scene).

That´s very nice indeed. The "future set" isn't right we cant extrapolate that the nvg will be basically a green filter for a daylight equivalent.

My con about the NVD is about the max VD shouldn't be clear there must be a blur distance associated.

info: https://www.nightvision4less.com/education-center-night-vision-information-faq.aspx

• Like 3

If the devs could "improve" the NV in the ways discussed here (basically making them more fun but slightly less usefull, due to limited range, limited detail and lowered dynamik range (highlight blur)), i think it could make sense to go more "full screen" with the NV and have the whole screen for nv but perhaps with strong vignette at both sides.

the very narrow, eliptical NV sight, we have now, might be "realistisc", it still feels not very authentic, doesn't "feel right". Since future NVs might have greater periphal vision, i think it might be worth experimenting with that. Concerning gameplay the greater perihphal vision would easily be balanced through the limited range, limited detail and limited dynamik range.

• Like 3

If the devs could "improve" the NV in the ways discussed here (basically making them more fun but slightly less usefull, due to limited range, limited detail and lowered dynamik range (highlight blur)), i think it could make sense to go more "full screen" with the NV and have the whole screen for nv but perhaps with strong vignette at both sides.

the very narrow, eliptical NV sight, we have now, might be "realistisc", it still feels not very authentic, doesn't "feel right". Since future NVs might have greater periphal vision, i think it might be worth experimenting with that. Concerning gameplay the greater perihphal vision would easily be balanced through the limited range, limited detail and limited dynamik range.

I agree. As it stands now to even enjoy night vision I need to use LSD's full screen night vision mod. I just don't find it fun having 1/3 of my screen blocked off. I don't think I'd personally need it to be 100% of my screen to enjoy vanilla NV, I'd just like a little more of my peripherals back.

About NVG, i think only bloom can be added, and NO CONTRAST change. If you would decide to change contrast, you couild make something like in ACE 3, key to set sensivity of NVG.

I agree. As it stands now to even enjoy night vision I need to use LSD's full screen night vision mod. I just don't find it fun having 1/3 of my screen blocked off. I don't think I'd personally need it to be 100% of my screen to enjoy vanilla NV, I'd just like a little more of my peripherals back.

The NVG's in EricJ's pack are interesting-instead of a solid black border it just fades to darkness near the edges.It looks very good, especially in a monocular, but i find it can give me a bit of a headache.

• Like 2

All of the NVGs in the game are binoculars and seem to have a "standard" lens diameter. This is more or less what is common today with PVS-15s, 31s etc. All have ~40* FOV which is even less than what we have in A3 right now. And not even 20 years of technological advancement can make them have FOV you speak about (that would be 60+, it's just impossible). All of the advancments in FOV for NVG are made by adding more tubes. We don't have those in vanilla.

EDIT: Granted, with real NVGs you can see to the sides of the tubes depending on the configuration, which gives SOME peripheral vision. Though,we can't simulate that since game engine doesn't allow NVG "overlay"/effects only for parts of the screen.

• Like 1

This kind of water particle effect can be good.

It was an splash effect* which is caused by an object when it falls into the water.

*An old photo in a test:

pPY6Pn.jpg

Must be like this A3 art:

latest?cb=20131229201721

A real footage:

11338562933_13493cb21d_o.jpg

Current in-game water effect in surface for helicopters is not enough I think.

• Like 2

Yeah - some older (think 10+ years) games had that water downwash effect. Novalogic's DF: BHD and Joint Ops comes to mind with the epic voxel engine of theirs...

• Like 1

Here are two screenshots of bugs from 1.60 RC

http://imgur.com/a/pTwmv

Shoreline at night is illuminated and the map show some strange tiles.

Shoreline at night is illuminated and the map show some strange tiles.

I have already posted this (or a similar) kind of problem in the development branch discussion: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/143930-general-discussion-dev-branch/page-977#entry3025434

This kind of problem appeared in one of the stable/development releases over a year (or two?) ago and disappeared sometime again after an update.

First of all big respect for your efforts to change the game to the better.

Unfortunately for me the new lighting is somehow destroying the good feeling of the maps.. Too bright and exposure of bad mid range textures.

Regardless of my "critique " I love your commitment guys!

I hope BIS will be able to bring back the warmer colours for sunrise and sunset (golden hour)

• Like 1

Not sure what it is, but maybe it looks a bit odd when the clouds are out? Might be because the clouds don't cast shadows. Mid day with medium cloud cover makes the map look bright AF, and saturated on the bright end. In short, this needs to be balanced, or Clouds casting shadow needs to be a thing. Otherwise, it seems pretty good, i'll check again to make sure i'm not missing anything.

anyone have any recent screens (or point me in the direction of some)? I've seen some of the first screens and vids from the visual update. Was just curious if things have changed at all. While, it looked good initially, I thought things were a bit too washed out.

anyone have any recent screens (or point me in the direction of some)? I've seen some of the first screens and vids from the visual update. Was just curious if things have changed at all. While, it looked good initially, I thought things were a bit too washed out.

This page has a few on it-the ones I posted show different times of day -https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/138904-arma-3-photography-pictures-only-no-comments/page-63

Well, I mean it looks too friendly.  I'd live to have it more grim with absolute max overcast.

Well, I mean it looks too friendly.  I'd live to have it more grim with absolute max overcast.

Just lower the saturation and contrast.

Just lower the saturation and contrast.

"Night is too bright" - "Just turn the monitor off" :)

• Like 2

Well, it's not a game designed to be Grim. The lighting was changed to make it more realistic, we need to help them shape that so that it's at least accurate, then modders can make the lighting look however they need it to be.

Lighting looks fine on my end. Just play with the video options (saturation, brightness & contrast) a bit.

• Like 2

Same here. I have a rog swift and it has limited settings options. After looking at revos YouTube vid on his in game settings I got mine pretty sweet

The only grim thing for me is having to go back playing on 1.58.

• Like 1

The only grim thing for me is having to go back playing on 1.58.

That's why I stayed on 1.6 RC for the last few days. Was really hoping the update would be released today =´(

• Like 1