bis_iceman

Visual Upgrade – Feedback

It really is pitch black.A good way to show this is stand in a full moon on Altis/Stratis.Then open one of the CUP maps as they have not had the new lighting added to them-you will see how bright it was before Visual upgrade.I am not saying I want it like the middle of the day-but a full moon does give off a lot of light. It should be easy to see your surroundings for at least 100 metres.

im getting pitch black in stratis near the lighthouse in the spartan place 2016 oct 16 24h

There's no moon on that date so of course it's that way, unless you're reporting how much the moon cycle is off.

It really is pitch black.A good way to show this is stand in a full moon on Altis/Stratis.Then open one of the CUP maps as they have not had the new lighting added to them-you will see how bright it was before Visual upgrade.I am not saying I want it like the middle of the day-but a full moon does give off a lot of light. It should be easy to see your surroundings for at least 100 metres.

How does this look for you? It looks quite good for me.

8e5qmQ7.jpg

My color settings:

Brightness: 0.9

Gamma: 0.7

Brightness: 113

Contrast: 98

Saturation: 110

I made those settings in daytime so I'm not trying to cheat the night to be more bright or something like that.

There's no moon on that date so of course it's that way, unless you're reporting how much the moon cycle is off.

How does this look for you? It looks quite good for me.

My color settings:

Brightness: 0.9

Gamma: 0.7

Brightness: 113

Contrast: 98

Saturation: 110

I made those settings in daytime so I'm not trying to cheat the night to be more bright or something like that.

That's not bad actually. I do still miss the silvery glow the moon gave though. I'll try upping my PP brightness-mine is only on 105 compared to 113

yeh sorry 29 oct 2016.

My current setup was made for day light :

Brightness: 1

Gamma: 1

Brightness: 102

Contrast: 124

Saturation: 131

Switching contrast helped a lot.

Switching contrast helped a lot.

Yeah I also noticed that contrast makes a big difference. Adjusting 5 more or less makes already quite a big difference.

BI, could the map be darker when opened at night? Perhaps to simulate it actually being dark? Recently I've noticed opening the map at night and having the map as bright as day is quite bad. Actually hurts the eyes when you're constantly checking the map in a lots of situations.

ShackTac's Map Autobrightness Mod helps with this problem.

ShackTac's Map Autobrightness Mod helps with this problem.

It's not a problem. It's a suggestion to help make things seem a little more complete while they're working on visual improvements.

As does ACE-you need to shine a torch or move into light to see the map at night.

Pretty much. I was thinking maybe this feature could be added to make things seem more present, make the player feel more there, in with the environment.

• Like 1

What if the map is supposed to be like a bluforce tracker iPad thing? --Oh, still, I guess that thing would have different brightness settings for nighttime...

Flares are not producing any light glow on the ground.
So far tested on the under barrel flares

Hi guys, I mostly do not use the dev branch and missed the whole visual upgrade discussion. My question: With the upgrade, did we get additional weather scripting commands? Thanks.

Hi guys, I mostly do not use the dev branch and missed the whole visual upgrade discussion. My question: With the upgrade, did we get additional weather scripting commands? Thanks.

No changes. Weather works still the same.

• Like 1

It's not a problem. It's a suggestion to help make things seem a little more complete while they're working on visual improvements.

Pretty much. I was thinking maybe this feature could be added to make things seem more present, make the player feel more there, in with the environment.

I like it. Be nice to even see rain dropping om your map as you try check it in dark under a light :D ok maybe too ambitious with rain. But your idea is sound.

I like it. Be nice to even see rain dropping om your map as you try check it in dark under a light :D ok maybe too ambitious with rain. But your idea is sound.

Nice to have but when oh when will we get weather effects synchronised for MP?

Arma 3 has newer weather sync (as the one mentioned there wasn't exactly syncing enough in all situations Arma 3 multiplayer has)

if something with weather is still broken then please provide repro mission / repro videos and reproduction steps ...

Is the first image a photo or an in-game screenshot?

Please add cirrus clouds! They were present in Takistan and Chernarus's skies, why not Altis?

9338247626_cbbae8a878_b.jpg

Cirrus_fibratus_and_Cirrocumulus.jpg

Well the cirrus clouds in Arma 2 are skybox stuff. They're just textures, not real clouds. Arma 3 now has real clouds provided by TrueSky and mixing them together might not look too good. Cirrus clouds that look like they're in the horizon could work but having them on top of you in the skybox texture won't work too well. Non-reachable cirrus clouds would break the immersion feeling when you're flying because you should start to reach them around at 6000m.

One thing I'm wondering how the clouds in PiP are done? PiP doesn't render the 3D clouds but it renders some kind of sprites or very flat clouds. Using those kinds of clouds as cirrus clouds could work nicely. They are not detailed at close but I don't think they need to be.

Just had a lose look into different weather situations on Altis and I like what I saw...

- Fog is not blue(ish) any more. Good!

- Upon overcast levels ~0.7+, it's not so extremely dark any more, good!

Not sure. It seems objects aren't casting shadows on higher overcast levels any more as they did before. Before I've seen so many cloudy skies, sun not visible at all, but there were shadows all over the place. Very bad for the immersion. Now if that has changed my heart would sing.

Very good.

I love that new NVG effect, looks awesome !

• Like 1

I love that new NVG effect, looks awesome !

Definitely good to see any improvement in the NVG effect but I think there's room for much more. It's something that gets used a lot in Arma and I'd love to see a more convincing implementation than green-with-grain. I'm thinking greater contrast, more bloom and a greater drop-off over distance, ideally configurable per-device so varied generations of NV gear could be differentiated.

A quick example using the in-game Bloom and Contrast sliders;

Vanilla

Custom (Bloom 200, Contrast 125)

I think the second looks more authentic and it's good for gameplay if NVG don't offer what is essentially vision equivalent to operating in daylight (though still much better than the pitch-blackness which was otherwise in effect in that scene).

• Like 7

I agree 2nd one looks more real for today's standards, but A3 is in 2035, things should be better and more clear, I don't know, like new technology and stuff.

Definitely good to see any improvement in the NVG effect but I think there's room for much more. It's something that gets used a lot in Arma and I'd love to see a more convincing implementation than green-with-grain. I'm thinking greater contrast, more bloom and a greater drop-off over distance, ideally configurable per-device so varied generations of NV gear could be differentiated.

A quick example using the in-game Bloom and Contrast sliders;

Vanilla

Custom (Bloom 200, Contrast 125)

I think the second looks more authentic and it's good for gameplay if NVG don't offer what is essentially vision equivalent to operating in daylight (though still much better than the pitch-blackness which was otherwise in effect in that scene).

I agree this looks good.I know it's supposed to be the future, but i think this is more immersive than crystal clear green NV. Something like the NV effect in the enhanced movement mod but not as severely pixeled and blurred would be great

• Like 4

Arma 3 has newer weather sync (as the one mentioned there wasn't exactly syncing enough in all situations Arma 3 multiplayer has)

if something with weather is still broken then please provide repro mission / repro videos and reproduction steps ...

the speed of overcast sync is much better but still not 100%. probably good enough though.