bis_iceman

Visual Upgrade – Feedback

OK I've been wondering why the cloud base in the game is 2500m. That's pretty high when low clouds cloud base usually range from 200-1500m.

I brought this up back in Alpha... actually. Also, though, the cumulonimbus is present in game when clouds are set to full.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/267211594242660628/5BFD2213A34BEB61472240C3E5217F081FAA10EB/

If you only noticed that when in the helicopter, it's an HDR thing. Happens in every vehicle in first person. The scene looks much brighter from inside than out.

Overall, new lighting made everything little too much brighter/glow in my opinon.

This is why people don't see the same issues as everyone else, unless everyone is running the exact same set up, it's only natural there is going to be differences, some only slight, but others more noticeable, and as another poster mentioned, the monitor itself can change the hues and saturations.

Even then its going to be different due to our monitors, I have one LED backlit and a true LED monitor sitting side by side, and despite trying to match their values the difference is nearly night and day.

• Like 1

And if we are talking about visual enhancements: could we get a GetCurrentAperture command please?

• Like 2

Added advantage of low cloud base is that it offers a feasible explanation for the use of BI's improved fog!

Howevern I'm wondering if the fact that Altis and Stratis are islands may not have impact on cloud behaviour.

Any geographers out there care to explain simply maritime climate on cloud formation and evolution?

In layman's terms please :D

Just watched some METAR and bit of SYNOP from Limnos aka. Altis from last June and when there was Cumulonimbus and Cumulus congestus their cloud base was around 1500-1800 feet which is around 450m-550m. Limnos airport is 5m above the sea level. When there's a nice weather cumulus/stratocumulus is usually around 1800-5000 feet which is 550m-1500m. So the numbers that I said in my earlier post aren't far away.

If anyone wonders my main thing in military was to make METAR and SYNOPs :D

I could be bit off-topic here but improved cloud lighting was said so why not tune the clouds a bit at the same time :P Lowering the clouds could also mean that their width needs to be toned down bit. Though I just looked and they looked pretty OK in my eyes so not much likely needed. It's a game afterall.

• Like 2

I like the ida of a lower base level for clouds, St. Jimmy, you said you change the base level in the configs. Could you share some screenshots?

OK I've been wondering why the cloud base in the game is 2500m. That's pretty high when low clouds cloud base usually range from 200-1500m. Well in the configs it says cloudBaseKm = 0.85; but seems like it isn't the actual real value in the game. I put cloudBaseKm = 0.1; just to test things and I got the clouds around 550m from the sea level with some small fractus reaching 450m.

The closer you are to the clouds, the more obvious the horrible fisheye effect is, present due to the use of truesky,  Just fly up to cloud layer and pan your view around to see it.

I like the idea of a lower base level for clouds, St. Jimmy, you said you change the base level in the configs. Could you share some screenshots?

I didn't test anything like some overcast has higher base level. Just put them on an even level. Without adding cloudBaseKm, then it was only the default weather that was affected. I guess someone has already made some experiments with this. I'm just going to test different overcast, different level if I can get it working.

72mrLX4.png

The closer you are to the clouds, the more obvious the horrible fisheye effect is, present due to the use of truesky,  Just fly up to cloud layer and pan your view around to see it.

Well yeah the effect is bad but it doesn't get any worse with lowering the clouds.

Well yeah the effect is bad but it doesn't get any worse with lowering the clouds.

the closer you are to their heigth the worse it is.

Relax people, visual upgrade is coming soon.

... the visual upgrade is already available in dev branche...

Even then its going to be different due to our monitors, I have one LED backlit and a true LED monitor sitting side by side, and despite trying to match their values the difference is nearly night and day.

Quoting to reiterate my previous point that it is literally impossible for BI to have this setup perfectly for everyone as the hardware and configuration settings are just so varied.

Should I bitch that BI and their new changes look terrible by default settings on my TN panel but look wonderful when correctly set for my own two eyeballs and my IPS panel? People with TN panels are right away at a disadvantage as IPS panels produce far superior colour reproduction.

Like nod unit mentioned people should make sure that their settings are configured for their own hardware and monitor

Quoting to reiterate my previous point that it is literally impossible for BI to have this setup perfectly for everyone as the hardware and configuration settings are just so varied.

Should I bitch that BI and their new changes look terrible by default settings on my TN panel but look wonderful when correctly set for my own two eyeballs and my IPS panel? People with TN panels are right away at a disadvantage as IPS panels produce far superior colour reproduction.

Like nod unit mentioned people should make sure that their settings are configured for their own hardware and monitor

A well calibrated TN-Panel looks very similar to a well calibrated ips-Panel in average gaming situations. Only in very dark situations there is an advantage/difference for ips-panels.

At the end i am happy with the new visuals because I found the sweet spot of gamma/brightness/saturation-settings based on a calibrated monitor. :P

@St. Jimmy

the lower clouds are looking awesome!

Now if only those lights had a real impact on AI's ability to see and we could shoot them out....

You refer to situations like you standing between the AI and the lighthouse which is pointing at AI's eyes so he's blinded?

Or illuminated surfaces by the rotating light as AI spots you fast while scanning the area if you get into an illuminated circle?

You refer to situations like you standing between the AI and the lighthouse which is pointing at AI's eyes so he's blinded?

Or illuminated surfaces by the rotating light as AI spots you fast while scanning the area if you get into an illuminated circle?

I think this will only be possible when everything (incl. graphics and sound) will be raytraced, which is very demanding on hardware and probably not possible the coming years.

Hey guys,

I am wondering if we one day will see a similar rain effect like in the DayZ beta?

https://youtu.be/eFhTsoM-KZI?t=113

I mean the rain in the video is not perfect but I am missing such kind of effect in ARMA 3. There is no distant fog or slightly limited visibility if it starts to rain.

What do you think about these (or a similar) effects?

Hello all,

I had to register just because I couldn't find any posts about this issue =P

This visual upgrade looks great to me with the exception of lighting at night. The less intense moonlight can be worked around by adjusting the ingame settings but it seems that flares are broken at the moment. I can see them glowing in the sky but they don't illuminate the surroundings at all until they almost hit the ground. It seems that the radius of the glow has been adjusted somehow and neither the ingame nor my monitors settings make a difference.

Nope. I was simply saying that shooting out a street-light or searchlight should impact an AI's visibility in the darkness. Its a mechanic that appears in many pseudo stealth games, e.g. Splinter Cell, Thief, etc.

• Like 1

Nope. I was simply saying that shooting out a street-light or searchlight should impact an AI's visibility in the darkness. Its a mechanic that appears in many pseudo stealth games, e.g. Splinter Cell, Thief, etc.

such AI logic is supposed to exist since A2: OA,

I remember I specifically requested this to be improved for stealth missions and it actually was done

• Like 5

Jup it does work if the AI does not have NVG's, when they don't have light or NVG's at dark the only thing they can do to focus on you is listening to you when your like right next to them

Is the issue with salt lake ground assigned? When  you take a close look at it, it's weird.