bis_iceman

Visual Upgrade – Feedback

1. Bug rainbow

2016040913_9059515_21522929.jpg2016040913_8984675_21522932.jpg2016040913_1114367_21522933.jpg

2. Horrible night lighting. Light passes through objects. Is it possible anything do with this?

For example make the shadows on ultra settings shadows of light sources?..

2016040913_5184701_21522935.jpg2016040913_2503863_21522936.jpg

Let's stay on topic please-we are not here to discuss Ethan Carter or rocks.This is for the current visual upgrade.

• Like 3

Some feedback, not necessarily related to the visual upgrade, but then again it is.

- There are two brightness sliders now, is the old one obsolete? Seems to me that it has the same effect as the new one.

- The gamma slider is grayed out when playing on fullscreen window, is that a limitation? I don't know if other games have that restriction, too (Yes, I know the tooltip says that it's only applied in fullscreen, I am just asking)

- The old gamma and brightness sliders should range from 50 to 100 instead of 0.5 to 1, because fine calibration is very hard at the moment, because the hundreds are not displayed

- The pictures which indicates the correct gamma value (cross & tick) seems to be completely of. If I reduce the gamma until I don't see the cross and barely see the tick, the games is way too dark, even with default brightness levels.

2. Horrible night lighting. Light passes through objects. Is it possible anything do with this?

Would be awesome if we had the option to enable more "true" light sources *dreaming*

Light passes through objects. Is it possible anything do with this?

It does that since the beginning of (Arma) time.

• Like 3

weapons, characters, objects & vegetation seem to have a white line around they model, if they are rendered infront a water surface.

You need to click on the imgur logo in the spoiler.

1. Screenshot shows a weapon in the lower left corner, one can see the white line around the weapon, the coloured line in from the shoreline bug.

2. is obvious.

after watching all reference videos and pictures of the update i could find i'll give my little feedback even though i did not run dev-branch myself.

+ all in all the direction of the visual update is very, very good! in comparison the old lighting seems dull and not very realistic

+ colour palette seem perfect

+ daylight scenes look brilliant

+ the new clouds and water are gorgeous!

+ underwater scenes look realistic and beautiful

- in some situations the sun-shadows look to flat in comparison to the overall image contrast

- in some dusk/dawn scenes these flat shadows give the scene an tone-mapped hdr look (aka "cheesy amateur photography HDR look") with low tonal range but super high midtone-contrast

- moonlit night scenes also tend to suffer from this tone-mapped midtone-contrast, while night scenes with less moonlight seem to be a bit too dark

- fire and explosion don't look worse than before, but with the updated visuals it is more and more obvious that they are lacking behind in terms of visual fidelity

further suggestions:

~ i think arma needs much more ambient particle effects. For altis and stratis i could imagine spray, where the sea hits the shore dependent off weather/wind/waves. clouds of pollen, swarms of insects in the trees and bushes, freflies at night. Particles of sand and foliage in the air, when it is windy

~ as mentioned above: the rocks and boulders could use some attention. especially in scenes where they don't feel routed in the terrain but feel sticked onto it, because of unnatural transition between rocks and terrain

~ better rain effects and wet surface shaders for rain. also better weather sync in mp

I live in a region with Pollen as a literal weather feature, and let me tell you, while i wake up and my car is covered in pollen, i don't physically see pollen dust flying around. This, is an unnecessary thing. 

Please don't make this another wishlist thread. It's supposed to be about feedback of the new improvements, not about what we wish for. Everyone will want to have deferred lighting, photo-real textures, and better particle effects (some that actually interested with objects, anyone) but that's not the purpose of the thread, as I understand it.

Send from my tablet, so pardon any autocorrect bollocks

• Like 8

Thats actually very accurate, my source is almost having drowned :)

The only bodies of water that will be really clear as mainly swimming pools since the chemicals would be cleaning it, the constant maintenance, not to mention no dirt or mud.

http://blog.oceans-campus.com/Portals/288079/images/2b.shoot%20up.snorkelling%20and%20practising%20breath%20hold%20techniques%20at%20Paindane.%20photo%20credit%20Cullen%20Welch.jpgsome fairly shallow water but you can see how foggy it gets.

Generally I agree with you, however I think there should be a slider, just like clouds, for how murky the water is because there are definitely cases where the water is crystal clear or even more murky.

- There are two brightness sliders now, is the old one obsolete? Seems to me that it has the same effect as the new one.

- I believe they have bit different effect. That's how I felt when I played with those. At least the other one has wide range when the other one is more for fine tuning.

Are there a few config lines that can be included in an small addon to enable the new lightning on non vanilla islands ?

I'm pretty sure I saw something about that recently but I'm unable to find it...

Thx !

1. Bug rainbow

For example make the shadows on ultra settings shadows of light sources?..

1 - solution would be to make it circular like in RL though it wouldn't work as a skybox. I feel like the current version doesnt look that great. I'd rather not have it then some half baked version that looks strange.

2 - dwarden already commented on this i think: Not possible right now. Also costs alot of ressources i would think... dynamic lights in all games are very expensive to compute

nice visual update!

i found 2 visual bugs. best to see in the video:

1.: horizon-visual-bug (distance fog disapears)

2.: unterwater-sun-bug (sun flickering underwater)

OK, today's HDR and sky settings are way better. Toned down contrast really helps, however nights are still hurt rather badly at some settings (too much contrast still).

In fact daytime contrast should be increased as the image looks flatter now, but the solution has to be found for the night contrast to be decreased instead to pre 1.59 values or something along those lines.

Latest update's HDR and sky setting are also more universal now, fitting non-mediterranean maps much more

DF605A2A79EEFF9FBB66B579DE0D20343C6C6071

The screenshot looks horrible, sorry. Complete lack of hdr, glare, athmosphere mist looks alike heavy modded operation flashpoint. In the current state a big step back in my opinion. I hope finetuning and developement brings it back to an acceptable level. I hope solano´s reshade mod is able to repair the new upgrade.

• Like 1

The screenshot looks horrible, sorry. Complete lack of hdr, glare, athmosphere mist looks alike heavy modded operation flashpoint. In the current state a big step back in my opinion. I hope finetuning and developement brings it back to an acceptable level. I hope solano´s reshade mod is able to repair the new upgrade.

Which screen shot are you basing these comments on? if it's the one above your post, that's not really the best one to display the new splendid shaders and wow, just wow, your closing sentence is a sure fire way of kicking the BiS team in the teeth.

It actually sounds like you don't even have the Dev Build to make these comments, otherwise I doubt you'd say what you just did.

Reshade was okay, a bit too high in contrast and colour for my liking, no natural balanced colours even with all the different LUT's

• Like 2

It actually sounds like you don't even have the Dev Build to make these comments, otherwise I doubt you'd say what you just did.

It sounds like he's playing on a B&W monitor ;)

I like the screenshot, we should keep in mind that this map is like idk 7 years old?

• Like 1

Sorry but 2 wrong assumptions: I have a hardware calibrated ips monitor and I tested dev branch under different (non-water) circumstances. On stable I modified reshade a little bit (less contrast, less saturation). I gave a overall impression. I made in stable a lot of screenshots in test scenarios, different locations, different time. That is my opinion, "close" or not.

While there are certainly a lot of splendid improvements in this visual update (I'll refrain from discussing the performance cost on my system) I'm kind of with jumpinghubert on the new lighting, it lacks warmth (it's basically too blue, even given strong sunshine) and variation; every surface at every distance and angle seems to attract a near-identical amount of light. This is exhibited in the screenshot above and in this capture I posted a few days ago. Compare that to the depth Real Light adds; the variation in the quantity of light hitting the roof of the building compared to the walls (shadows are short so the sun must be directly overhead), the haze/bleed at distance, the way the soldier's jersey has strong sunlight on his shoulders and much less in the shadow of his arms and rucksack, the way the vehicle cabin/canopy flares at the more acute angle. Even if you think RL is over-contrasted (I don't, strong sunlight should create contrasts) you must surely see that the new default, and the old default for that matter, is under-contrasted. Reshade is voodoo (given it's all post-processing) and surprisingly inexpensive FPS-wise.

• Like 1

Something isn't right when I need to adjust the video color settings a lot so something like Chernarus looks good because the settings that I had for Stratis didn't look good in Chernarus. Startis by default looks very bright and colorful so I have to tone it down and when I had the Stratis settings in Chernarus, the Chernarus looked pretty dull and there was this gray tint. I first thought it was fog but it wasn't. Tweaking the color settings helped nicely. I guess Island modders got a lot of to do later.

• Like 1

....every surface at every distance and angle seems to attract a near-identical amount of light....

Thats what I wanted to say amongst others...but my crap english....

I would like to see lightnings quality improved, right now does not look good.

EC6O8fd.jpg

• Like 2

Thats what I wanted to say amongst others...but my crap english....

When there is overcast as weather... what do you expect? Guess why overcast weather is best for shooting fotos for use in texturing? No direct shadowing / lighting.

• Like 1

While there are certainly a lot of splendid improvements in this visual update (I'll refrain from discussing the performance cost on my system) I'm kind of with jumpinghubert on the new lighting, it lacks warmth (it's basically too blue, even given strong sunshine) and variation; every surface at every distance and angle seems to attract a near-identical amount of light. This is exhibited in the screenshot above and in this capture I posted a few days ago. Compare that to the depth Real Light adds; the variation in the quantity of light hitting the roof of the building compared to the walls (shadows are short so the sun must be directly overhead), the haze/bleed at distance, the way the soldier's jersey has strong sunlight on his shoulders and much less in the shadow of his arms and rucksack, the way the vehicle cabin/canopy flares at the more acute angle. Even if you think RL is over-contrasted (I don't, strong sunlight should create contrasts) you must surely see that the new default, and the old default for that matter, is under-contrasted. Reshade is voodoo (given it's all post-processing) and surprisingly inexpensive FPS-wise.

Oddly enough, the Real Light on top of the Dev Lightning makes it look too Battlefield 4 filter to me. What i think is missing, is the amount of orange tinge during morning and evening hours and that's about it, at least from my perspective.

But Jimmy, that's actually quite representative of real life, Altis and Stratis, two Mediterranean Islands, where sunshine is what? at least 9 months of the year, 12-14 hours a day, and is a naturally bright place given the type of housing and their typically whitewashed exteriors, they're bound to be more vibrant and reflect natural light better, compared to a typical Eastern European country town or City, where historically they've always been drab in Nature, but don't seem to be as vibrant in the summer months, and the natural weather is nowhere near that of the Med. 

The Current lighting was designed around Stratis and Altis, so obviously they're going to look a lot better than any other ported and much older maps from other ARMA's. If I want to see Chernerus look better, then I'd fire up Arma 2 :D