bis_iceman

Visual Upgrade – Feedback

Why do people react so "agressive" towards people that say they don't like the new visuals? Even saying that if you don't like it, you just don't know nothing about it?

That's bullshit. I don't like it (playing vanilla, to be clear) and that's my opinion.

I played the series since the beginning and always liked the visuals (arma 2 in beginnig was maybe a bit crappy).

I'm might not be a software expert when it comes to tweaking but I should not have to be. I'malso not a complete idiot and quete capable tweaking a bit to get the image right, if the basic is right to start.

Just think this update did more bad then good to the visuals. That is my opinion if you like it or not.

I'm happy for the people that do like it, that is what you get with opinions; they are nit alqays the same...

Be glad that there is critic, thet pushes things futher.

• Like 3

athena_promachos, I have read last 5 pages and have the same feeling. Too much flaming in the thread for feedback.

Why do people react so "agressive" towards people that say they don't like the new visuals? Even saying that if you don't like it, you just don't know nothing about it?

Its like anything, its not what's said but how its being said and what the expectations are. You expressed yours just as others have made cases for liking the upgrade. Personally, I'm 90% happy with it and would prefer a few tweaks.

Its the posts that use words like 'Failure', thinking a threat of never buying another Arma title will roll back time or those who appear to be pouting while stamping their feet as they write the post. Its also the expectation that whatever is done in Arma should benefit all the different mods as well.

Not only are these not appreciated, the latter is unreasonable. Most frustrating, to my knowledge, updates have never worked like this in the past, we've just been spoiled to a large degree with Arma 3.

You've given your opinion, I've given mine, now lets allow BI the time and room to either address it or not. But its annoying when people come on and give the same rants over and over in a less than pleasant way that irks so many.

• Like 1

@memphisbelle Wait, are you saying because there has been no official comment or feedback from BI since that tweet on 6/5 (15 hours ago at this point) that's too long?

AGAIN, it doesn't matter if all you play are custom maps, BI is here (it's their business) to update and be responsible for the content they sell. Not the free mods. It's not that anyone is trying to say the modded maps look perfect with the new lighting, everyone is saying it's not down to bi to base their upgrades on the mods, just their original content.

It's the weekend, they're off doing whatever they do on the weekends, leave them alone until the workweek starts.

Just as FYI, with Arma 2, when the updates would break the game ( by game I mean the mods wouldn't work like they should) players could wait up to a week for an update or the mods to be fixed. Do the vets remember ACE breaking nearly every update...lol

What I don't remember is the bad attitudes and sense the players were owed so much so quickly.

For those being unreasonable. This isn't about you and no, the world doesn't owe you what you think it does.

What tweet are you talking about? 

Anyways, as long as a tweet doesnt tell me anythings about how to fix lighting issues, I dont care. That´s all what I am interested about at the moment.

I dont like the visual update. This has somethings to do with my personal preferences. I dont know whether this update really will give a push to Tanoa, but it doesnt

give a visual advantage to the current official AND inofficial content...thats only my point of view...

What I but have really seen is that the performance became better...at least for my machine. I also noticed that the Textures of the models look better...somehow like enhanced resolution.

So those are things I like about the update....but Map Groundtextures are looking bad now...way too bright.

But according to the View...I really have to say that I prefere the left image more than the right image (below)...sorry, but thats what I feel about the visual part of the update.

The lighting update simply makes the World look unrealistic. Less colorfull, less living.

source: https://twitter.com/bohemiainteract

sH0FHf6.png

You might feel OK that you´re defending BIS...and it is OK...but I (and others) would be happy if we would get at least a few words about

a plan on how to make maps look better again. Thats all we want.

• Like 2

It's funny how people try to convince us that the new lighting can look good on custom terrains.. We are not blind thanks God and we can make our own conclusions.

What the hell are you talking about - people say that its not looking that ok, and the authors of that maps will have to fix it, after their will get right documentation - BTW it isnt THAT bad.

Vanilla maps

Use saturation, brightness and contrast bars, then go to display tab and again brightness and gamma.

Let me spell it for you.

I dont use mods,

my Arma 3 is 100% vanilla,

I don't have Utes,

new visuals look wrong

Don't attack me like that when it's YOU who cannot read.

Again, I don't use mods, I don't like the oversaturated colors and crushed blacks.

Sorry but i cant understand what you are talking about, what is wrong? New update look like in real life and you tell its wrong? Oversaturated - use saturation bar, is it so hard?

hello guys !
i really thinked to be wrong...i was pretty sure that developers IMPROVED graphics, how can they do wrong ? 
tried and tried to convince myself that i was wrong, and 1.160 graphics was right.
then i decided to download the 3 GB old 1.58, and prepared this editor mission just for this reason.
to be the most honest possible, i tested different times of the day (04:00-06:00-12:00-19:00-23:00), and clear and storm condition (0% and 100% on both sliders)
here the results (sry for the big image, i dont know how spoiler it):

UO1ZeMC.jpg

...judge yourself...you probably already know at this point, i say it now to not influence you before view images, left colums is 1.58, right is 1.60.
and was not even true that night was too bright in old 1.58....just look the first image, at 04:00 in the morning.
i even lost around 10 fps from 1.58 to 1.60.
i really have no words.

here storm version:

X0fSWe7.jpg

• Like 2

hello guys !

i really thinked to be wrong...i was pretty sure that developers IMPROVED graphics, how can they do wrong ? 

tried and tried to convince myself that i was wrong, and 1.160 graphics was right.

then i decided to download the 3 GB old 1.58, and prepared this editor mission just for this reason.

to be the most honest possible, i tested different times of the day (04:00-06:00-12:00-19:00-23:00), and clear and storm condition (0% and 100% on both sliders)

here the results (sry for the big image, i dont know how spoiler it):

158vs160_global.jpg

...judge yourself...you probably already know at this point, i say it now to not influence you before view images, left colums is 1.58, right is 1.60.

and was not even true that night was too bright in old 1.58....just look the first image, at 04:00 in the morning.

i even lost around 10 fps from 1.58 to 1.60.

i really have no words.

Another one..... Please read previous posts (16 sites or more of complains) then post your problem (if nobody done this before)

hi Vasily.
reading the general rules i think you should remove the images from quotes, anyway, what you mean with "post your problem" ?
because my "problem" is 1.60 visual. the water reflect effect is good, but for the rest i prefer 1.58 visual...
...do you have any concrete (like specific slider values) suggestion to bring it back ?
thanks !

• Like 2

Another one..... Please read previous posts (16 sites or more of complains) then post your problem (if nobody done this before)

Those are good pictures. You're now too aggressive.

I prefer the 1.60 pictures except the ghillie suit is broken and the clouds are too bright.

//Night time could also be bit brighter but that should at least change in the next patch or so.

Those are good pictures. You're now too aggressive.

I prefer the 1.60 pictures except the ghillie suit is broken and the clouds are too bright.

//Night time could also be bit brighter but that should at least change in the next patch or so.

well its all dependent in real life what area you are in regarding lighting, i live in town, and at night time its usually brighter on a overcast night than a regular clear skies night as the light reflects off of the clouds.

also take a comparison look of RL and 1.60 before ranting about how unreal it is. Its much more realistic than what it was before, although i do think they could improve the aperture on Altis and Stratis. As for ANY other map, especially map packs like CUP-T, the lighting is something on their side. This is proven with maps like Esseker. IFA3's maps, Kunduz, G.O.S maps. They have for the most part balanced the aperture pretty nicely, even to the point even the night is the perfect balance. 

As for the clouds, i have been in many storms (Some even tornadic) in the past 2 weeks. There is nothing wrong with them besides maybe make them darker ONLY when its raining heavily, adding more visual weight to the clouds

0EA55BC267381CBE07078D5BE77006B071E3ED9C

Is that why everybody still drives a Model T-Ford then? ;)

When I was a kid ( long time ago) the first video game was a plug in to the TV that let you hit a dot with a flat thing and it was fun, then came the commodores and spectrums, and then the sega mega drives and PC's which have got better and better and better pushing the limits constantly.

Do you recall OFP when it was the dogs bollocks and you thought everything that was made up of 200 Poly's was awesome? and that there was nothing like it? but it evolved as the developers had vision, and that vision continues today, everything is progressing towards APEX they also have a target audience that reaches far beyond these forums with their global sales, they have a road map to how THEY see their future, and where they want the game to be, and how it looks. 

There's an old saying, you can please some of the people some of the time, you cannot please all of the people all of the time.

I stick by my original comments, some people just don't like, and wont accept change, and nothing anyone says or does convinces them otherwise, till the finally realisse that things are not going to start going backwards. ;)  ( been there, done that)

Man, don't bring me grotesque examples. I don't need your Ford T, I'll stick to my 90' era car without multiplexing that I can maintain cheaply by myself. I said that the future is welcome, but I want a future that enhance life, not a future that stuffs me things in my ass. And please, spare me your own vision of the BI's vision, you know nothing about their strategy. BI's catalog is full of unknown or failed games so be careful…

When people started using Solano's Real Light addon, it was hailed as "breathtaking and awesome" I somewhat agreed as I used it for a while too, till a previous update kind of broke it, but I found that I had to change LUT's so get a good balance, but I always found the contrast too high and the colours too vivid with his default setting. He was hailed a visionary.

But when BiS do it, they're villains and horrible people?

Seriously, if the update pisses you off that much, you're taking the game, way too seriously, I always find that if someone, or something is annoying me to that extent, I ignore them, or stop doing whatever it is that perplexes me.. yeah yeah yeah, paying customers and all that, but you paid for the original game, which was bugged to fuck on release, and has improved exponentially over 3 years, nobody has been shortchanged here.

BIS, could have, like many other games makers left it without any updates at all.

There's some aspects of the visuals I don't like, but for me, I'm getting value for my money, and quite happy and the whole community addon's completely change this game.

People are entitled to their opinions, it's how life works, don't like the new visuals, fine, like them, also fine, but I'd be more pissed taking a backwards step than progressing.

Real Light corrected the visual just fine, 1.60 visual update overdone it like Sylverster Stallone's mom's face. That's why BI is the villain, because of FACTS.

• Like 1

I dont see a moderator Tag on your Profile, so please dont behave as such. People are upset, what else shall they do?...as long as the complains are not offending BIS or BIS employees personally, everything´s ok. That is what a developer has to live with when he implements a major update with no rollback options. Of course they/we/I know that BIS has acknowledged this situation and will try to help us in their possible ways. 

• Like 1

edited for empty.

Thought I share an old trailer mission I did last January. Keep in mind the 1.58 update looked just the same. This is what was capable visually at night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJN7aH63-s8&feature=youtu.be

^ 1.60 version simply cannot do that.

Oh, come on! The only time you'd get a scenery lighted like that is midwinter, when there's at least 10" of snow...

Man, don't bring me grotesque examples. I don't need your Ford T, I'll stick to my 90' era car without multiplexing that I can maintain cheaply by myself. I said that the future is welcome, but I want a future that enhance life, not a future that stuffs me things in my ass. And please, spare me your own vision of the BI's vision, you know nothing about their strategy. BI's catalog is full of unknown or failed games so be careful…

Real Light corrected the visual just fine, 1.60 visual update overdone it like Sylverster Stallone's mom's face. That's why BI is the villain, because of FACTS.

Real light was far too high a contrast, and didn't look natural, even with their natural LUT, the Greens and Blues were very prominent. FACT! They produced crisper Lighting than default, and that's what I liked about it, but didn't like the overly contrasted colours.

You seem to know an awful lot about their strategy over everyone else here, including the Dev's care to enlighten us?

I dont see a moderator Tag on your Profile, so please dont behave as such. People are upset, what else shall they do?...as long as the complains are not offending BIS or BIS employees personally, everything´s ok. That is what a developer has to live with when he implements a major update with no rollback options. Of course they/we/I know that BIS has acknowledged this situation and will try to help us in their possible ways. 

and that is why they have Dev build, to put forward all these suggestions and issues, don't see many of the ones complaining about how much the new visuals suck, were posting their issues throughout dev build either ;)

(I think I will post that on all new pages if this thread)

You have to CHANGE the timestamp of your missions in order to get a similar feeling, especially near sunrise and sunset.

On 6/5/2016 at 3:02 PM, NoPOW said:

Oh, come on! The only time you'd get a scenery lighted like that is midwinter, when there's at least 10" of snow...

edited for empty.

and that is why they have Dev build, to put forward all these suggestions and issues, don't see many of the ones complaining about how much the new visuals suck, were posting their issues throughout dev build either ;)

You mean QA was unable to detect that night lightning was broken, camo are shining..etc and gave their ok for 1.60 to go live ? Impressive.

Snow you say?

Lets see 1.60 do that ^ ain't gonna happen.

Your point being?

If pre-1.60 nights looked like midwinter scenery, how does someone taking advantage of this (read: this particular mod) prove your point that post-1.60 non-winter scenery looks too dark?

You mean QA was unable to detect that night lightning was broken, camo are shining..etc and gave their ok for 1.60 to go live ? Impressive.

You should maybe read through the dev build thread and see what has been said, and what was noted, and actioned on, and what still needs worked on.

If you're so unhappy... sue them!!

Snow you say?

Lets see 1.60 do that ^ ain't gonna happen.

How often are you going to keep posting about an issue the devs have already said they are going to look at. It seems like every one of your posts is about how you don't like the way night looks. The devs have acknowledged your issue. You have been heard.

Although I have to say, your videos don't look very much like night to me. The nights in your videos are really bright.

• Like 2

How often are you going to keep posting about an issue

Until it gets fixed. 

But don't worry, I'll stop challenging people when I strongly disagree with them and let them talk instead about how great 1.60 is. You have the floor sir, it's all yours.