bis_iceman

Visual Upgrade – Feedback

Hello,

the Visual Upgrade has recently been enabled in the Dev-Branch. Please use this thread for providing your splendid feedback and suggestions.

Thanks!

• Like 7

Thanks Iceman, visual update looking good so far.

I think there might be some tweaks needed for terrain at night, it appears overly dark even on a full moon in some situations.

Some scenarios will be affected but I think main one is Night Showcase for obvious reasons.

Here's link to post in the General Feedback I made re: Night Showcase

Some LOD issues on bare trees, though I'm not sure how related this might be.

fsWiLwxa.jpg

nA6Z8pMP.jpg

Hope this helps

E

First of all thanks for your effort I really like most of the updates and I'm sure you guys are going to improve even further :)

Biggest issue with the new visuals is the exposure of not so good looking mid range textures. With the old system they were kind of concealed but now with the new lighting they are exposed.

I'm not saying you should change everything but at least tone done the unpretty midrange textures.
Water is beautiful so no complaints there :)

Thanks Iceman, visual update looking good so far.

I think there might be some tweaks needed for terrain at night, it appears overly dark even on a full moon in some situations.

Some scenarios will be affected but I think main one is Night Showcase for obvious reasons.

Here's link to post in the General Feedback I made re: Night Showcase

Some LOD issues on bare trees, though I'm not sure how related this might be.

fsWiLwxa.jpg

nA6Z8pMP.jpg

Hope this helps

E

Hi, E

this issue is alredy fixed for the next update. Thank you.  

• Like 4

can you allready share some more insights on what was changed and how it works (e.g. config wise)?
how about a live stream where devs talk though the island lighting/weather and the related configs and respond to user questions?
that would be a nice quasi-documentation! 

I like that the nights appear to get darker (could never get a decently black night before).

What I would like is to have the framerate I had before the update (given no change in graphics settings, water reflections are off, tested with all cloud quality levels);

Stable 31.0 FPS

Beta 25.5 FPS

Also, even given the lower framerate LODs seem to be switching down at closer ranges (see the trees along the far roadway and clutter just beyond the nearest road).

i5-2400, 8GB, HD6950

can you allready share some more insights on what was changed and how it works (e.g. config wise)?

how about a live stream where devs talk though the island lighting/weather and the related configs and respond to user questions?

that would be a nice quasi-documentation! 

Hi, fabio

I understand what do you mean, The main change of the lighting in the scene is a new setup for tone mapping values + config polished for the new HDR work. I am sure we will publish the tutorial for explaining as early as we can.

• Like 7

Here is my feedback :

--------

in AA&PP setting menu, it's impossible to set postprocess colour correction by ourself, by writing it in the integer field. The new value is written, but not applied.

--------

When going underwater (without diving goggles), with your head just under the water level (i.e. when you walk into water from a beach), there is a picture reflected on the surface which should not be here. It look like a loading crane.

http://image.noelsha...409182507-1.jpg

http://image.noelsha...409182510-1.jpg

Note that I'm looking at 2 different directions on these pictures.

It happen at different places on Altis and Stratis.

--------

New

Old

The shadows seems too light.

another POV : here

--------

Maybe linked to the previous one, the night is not as dark as before.

Once, BIS said that player like Arma's dark nights, but finally you made them less dark.

example : "night" showcase

--------

at sunset, (19:05~19:15), at sea level the sun disappear behind the sea, but when you're on a mountain it disappear behind the fog render distance.

Sea level

Above sea level

--------

Here is my feedback :

--------

in AA&PP setting menu, it's impossible to set postprocess colour correction by ourself, by writing it in the integer field. The new value is written, but not applied.

--------

When going underwater (without diving goggles), with your head just under the water level (i.e. when you walk into water from a beach), there is a picture reflected on the surface which should not be here. It look like a loading crane.

http://image.noelsha...409182507-1.jpg

http://image.noelsha...409182510-1.jpg

Note that I'm looking at 2 different directions on these pictures.

It happen at different places on Altis and Stratis.

--------

New

Old

The shadows seems too light.

another POV : here

--------

Maybe linked to the previous one, the night is not as dark as before.

Once, BIS said that player like Arma's dark nights, but finally you made them less dark.

example : "night" showcase

--------

at sunset, (19:05~19:15), at sea level the sun disappear behind the sea, but when you're on a mountain it disappear behind the fog render distance.

Sea level

Above sea level

--------

Hi mitrail,

there are still some limits for screen space reflections.

Shadows could be more darkness, I will work with this idea.

The night is a little bit more darkness, but time when you can see this is little move  closer to night time (I can setup the intensity by the sun angle). Existing missions will be corrected for this change.

The sun horizont is in the same place, but if you get up, this place is more and more in the fog (it depents on your view distance limit)

Thank you very much for your hudge feedback.
  • Like 3

In support of increasing shadow intensity:

Old lighting Vs new. There is much more depth to the shadows with the old lighting. This also manifests itself when you go into a building; interiors look too bright.

I also think there's way too much of a green tone, with reds being too washed out (not shown in the above video - there are custom colorCorrections on). And in the early morning or evening, there's too much blue. Reminds me of Takistan lighting, which was like the moon in the morning. I really like the colours and daytime lighting in the old Stratis showcase video.

• Like 1

Hi, fabio

I understand what do you mean, The main change of the lighting in the scene is a new setup for tone mapping values + config polished for the new HDR work. I am sure we will publish the tutorial for explaining as early as we can.

the new lighting is really enchanting!!!

it looks like there where also changes made to the skybox/horizont texture and the way the fog is colorized and how the fog blends over the clouds? 

The new visuals are absolutely gorgeous, feels a lot more real than before.  :D

However, clouds are still moving on the edge of the screen when you look around, they change shape..

In support of increasing shadow intensity:

Old lighting Vs new. There is much more depth to the shadows with the old lighting. This also manifests itself when you go into a building; interiors look too bright.

I also think there's way too much of a green tone, with reds being too washed out (not shown in the above video - there are custom colorCorrections on). And in the early morning or evening, there's too much blue. Reminds me of Takistan lighting, which was like the moon in the morning. I really like the colours and daytime lighting in the old Stratis showcase video.

Hi 2nd ranger

thanks for your compare video, I like a repro like this. I agree with you and mitrail about the intensity of shadow in the sunrise time. I will try polished this part of time.

• Like 2

The new visuals are absolutely gorgeous, feels a lot more real than before.  :D

However, clouds are still moving on the edge of the screen when you look around, they change shape..

clouds 'tearing' and smeary edges etc. is technology limitation (TrueSky) middle-ware

afaik even recent War Thunder update (they using own massive rewrite of the technology) didn't fix it fully either ...

same goes for latest TrueSky revision (we're using older build)

• Like 2

The update comes with new ways to configure the visual part in game options, which means everyone can set the contrast levels according to their taste.

[...]

For any tweaks that are necessary, we plan to publish a small guide before the upgrade reaches everyone in Update 1.60.

havent read this yet, very nice, very very nice :)  :cheers:

p.s. your table there looks handy, may be nice for the community to create different templates with this, why dont you share (parts of) it? :)

operp_visual_LightSetup.jpg

• Like 2

I'm very impressed with the visual updates thus far (based on the screen shot comparisons), and can't wait to actually get in game to check it out (APEX release... and yeh, I can wait).

Screen shots 8 ,9, 10, 11, 12 Re: sand/water... are just awesome! The transition from sand to sea is much cleaner and looks great... the sand looks like clean sand and not a dirty mess. The half underwater shot... yes yes yes. This was one of my 'gripes', as many would 'half glitch' into the water and adjust the camera angle to see far under water... and the update looks as it should, very nice indeed.

The new water reflections just add to the immersion and look superb.

Great work BI, great work!

[...]After a year-long development,[...]

A year? Was definitely worth it :yay:

• Like 1

clouds 'tearing' and smeary edges etc. is technology limitation (TrueSky) middle-ware

afaik even recent War Thunder update (they using own massive rewrite of the technology) didn't fix it fully either ...

same goes for latest TrueSky revision (we're using older build)

Oh, okay. Well, when or if TrueSky developers do fix the problem, will you incorporate the fix into Arma 3?

Can we get a slider option for how far the grass renders ? Or the better question , how far out can we push the grass and shadows past 200 ?

While you're changing the sea shader, anyway, is there any chance for a bit more foam on the waves ? Like in this VBS3 video at around 0:30 seconds ? I'm not talking stern or bow waves of ships, just the small foamy bits on higher waves would go a long way to improve the overall visuals of the sea surface.

Also check 1:40

• Like 2

Oh, okay. Well, when or if TrueSky developers do fix the problem, will you incorporate the fix into Arma 3?

best to adjust your selective perception to not to worrie about this marginal issue anymore constantly :)

pretty damn good work on this. 3 questions.

1 - an oldie but if you are looking at visual aspect what about terrain casting shadows itself and its surrounds.

2 - with the new lighting the flat image for trees at a distance has an obvious halo that looks not good at all.

3- any plans for a little more atmospheric things like dust, etc. you are making a tropical island. I live on one currently. there's often quite a bit of dust, humidty, bugs, etc in the air. if fact any roadmap for thr future. love to see it as the changes have been pretty impressive so far.

• Like 1

best to adjust your selective perception to not to worrie about this marginal issue anymore constantly :)

Yep, that's what I've done the past 3 years, it's just when you start to think about clouds... :D

The biggest issue with this upgrade is while it's great for the daytime - it's really bad at night, giving it an overdone contrast and too postprocessed look.

Do note that the old night rendering was looking very realistic (unlike the daytime one) so perhaps a solution is a smooth transition between the two based on "sunAngle" variable or something? Basically when the sun goes down the old night rendering should gradually kick in.

There's however a minor issue with the current rendering, especially visible during midday. When sun shines on walls on Altis/Stratis they look too bright, almost totally white (as do many other objects for that matter). Perhaps this overly white look should be toned down?

Meanwhile have a Chernarus screenie with the 1.59 rendering

19468FC0ADC5BAE3D1B1150E0CB422C377EBDC5F

• Like 4