oukej

Targeting improvements

Isn't that a fact already? Many communities don't use such assetts or disable it because "the future" (or even todays stuff) are too powerfull for regular games. Which is why i hope BI will do fictive events from 1950-1970 in future...

I certainly wouldn't mind an ArmA4: Vietnam or somesuch. :) Though I doubt BI could pull off a really good 'nam story, the decent ones usually have a lot of moral ambiguity (just as the war itself did). They wouldn't even have to make fictitious events, since Vietnam has happened so long ago that nobody would get insulted over it.

• Like 2

Maybe that's the BIS strategy; push Arma's timeline further enough to make tab-lock reasonable :p

Maybe that's the BIS strategy; push Arma's timeline further enough to make tab-lock reasonable :P

Jokingly - that is why mortars fire signal flares (not to be confused with illum flares!)

• Like 3

More work on the targeting is planned and it may include some re-balancing of the vanilla assets.

This is good. Changing how aircraft work also requires a change in ground units due to the fact not doing so would make balance a serious issue. With Tab-Locking, both AA and CAS can equally challenge each other on a first see first kill basis. But take away one's ability to do so breaks the other, so i'm glad that the possibility of both being looked at is being taken into consideration.

Can't find any info about it in the patch notes- was TGP lasing featured in today's update to the stable branch? (1.64)

Can't find any info about it in the patch notes- was TGP lasing featured in today's update to the stable branch? (1.64)

Yes it was.

Added: Pilot cameras now support laser designating

https://dev.arma3.com/post/spotrep-00059listed under 'Engine' improvements

But AFAIK the vanilla Arma 3 aircraft don't have configs that include the laser weapons and batteries necessary to self-lase, so you need to add those weapons manually (addweapon+addmagazine in the editor will do) or use an addon that utilises the new feature (Firewill already updated his F-16 etc. so that the LANTIRN/SNIPER/LITENING pods act as laser weapons that you can designate with)

Yes it was.

https://dev.arma3.com/post/spotrep-00059listed under 'Engine' improvements

But AFAIK the vanilla Arma 3 aircraft don't have configs that include the laser weapons and batteries necessary to self-lase, so you need to add those weapons manually (addweapon+addmagazine in the editor will do) or use an addon that utilises the new feature (Firewill already updated his F-16 etc. so that the LANTIRN/SNIPER/LITENING pods act as laser weapons that you can designate with)

Thanks!, I must have missed that line reading through the patch notes.

Deleted, I was doing some retarded config work.

oukej just to confirm, Missile lock cone is defined as a value of 50 degrees as 25 degrees from the nose (0 degrees) or is it just 50 degrees out to the side on each side?

Oukej can you please allow players to remove the "native" aircraft sights that block the CCIP, and rocket/gun hit indicators? As far as I can see, those can't be removed, and they obstruct valuable indicators.

• Like 1

Missile lock cone is defined as a value of 50 degrees as 25 degrees from the nose (0 degrees)

Correct, 50° means ±25°.

Oukej can you please allow players to remove the "native" aircraft sights that block the CCIP, and rocket/gun hit indicators? As far as I can see, those can't be removed, and they obstruct valuable indicators.

Makes sense. We've also seen the two crosshairs cause some confusion.
  • Like 6

I put the crosshairs visibility to 0 in option. This trick ("delete") hide default white lock on square on aircrafts.

Make them  realistic with only sound Lock On also this working for MANPADs too. But then I found this option make invisible CCIP and player information (weapon name, count...).

I hope to see in the future a separate menu option to make only lock on square invicible

• Like 5

I put the crosshairs visibility to 0 in option. This trick ("delete") hide default white lock on square on aircrafts.

Make them  realistic with only sound Lock On also for MANPADs. But then I found this option make invisible CCIP and player information (weapon name, count...).

I hope to see in the future a separate menu option to make only lock on square invicible

+1

What I would like to see is some sort of integration of the HUD into diegetic aircraft sights. Right now, a lot of ArmA3 UI is "gamey", even things which could look more like a realistic HMD. It's just a graphical tweak, but would go a long way towards increasing immersion.

• Like 5

Make them  realistic with only sound Lock On also for MANPADs. But then I found this option make invisible CCIP and player information (weapon name, count...).

This! The Stinger-like screech and the Sidewinder-like whine would add a lot to immersion and make it more realistic at the same time!

• Like 7

There is already the option to turn off crosshairs in the difficulty settings, but this only covers hand-held weapons. Could you expand this option to also include the gun sights on vehicles  ?

• Like 6

There is already the option to turn off crosshairs in the difficulty settings, but this only covers hand-held weapons. Could you expand this option to also include the gun sights on vehicles  ?

or add an extra option to disable vehicle crosshairs. Both would be fine with me.

• Like 3

These are all interesting improvements, however they have significantly affected the balance of King of The Hill and this brings me to my suggestion.

Would it be possible for the targeting system to be disabled server side. This would allow KoTH to return to its previous state of balance.

• Like 4

In what sense? Is it the CCIP or the targeting pod that you think is breaking the balance?

Atm I'd like to not make any promises as we're changing parts of the system. Work which will hopefully introduce more variety and much better possibilities to balance the assets.

• Like 2

In what sense? Is it the CCIP or the targeting pod that you think is breaking the balance?

Atm I'd like to not make any promises as we're changing parts of the system. Work which will hopefully introduce more variety and much better possibilities to balance the assets.

Its the CCIP that is causing problems, that took away the skill of learning the jet cannons.

• Like 2

Its the CCIP that is causing problems, that took away the skill of learning the jet cannons.

I can agree and disagree - first for canons it should be disabled, only Bombs should use it. Second cannons on jets like A-10 from RHS need it, beacuse they have cannon wrong calibrated and you donr know where rounds will fly.

So i guess magic word "optionally" fit here best

I can agree and disagree - first for canons it should be disabled, only Bombs should use it. Second cannons on jets like A-10 from RHS need it, beacuse they have cannon wrong calibrated and you donr know where rounds will fly.

So i guess magic word "optionally" fit here best

I think just leave the option, personally I would prefer for it all to be disabled but thats just me :)

• Like 2

Sigh... KOTH was always an absolute nightmare of a grindfest with jets raping everyone and overall awful balance. It tries to be Battlefield, except it's really bad at it.

I'ld very worried if BIS started being concerned with muh skill and balance in KOTH rather than improving on overall realism and developing authentic weapon systems for aircrafts and armored vehicles.

• Like 3

Let's remove from Arma magnification sights because it "takes away the skill of learning to aim".

Adapt the game mode to realism, not the other way around. Jeez.

• Like 2