oukej

Targeting improvements

This is probably a stupid question, but what do I need to do to get custom aircraft to use targeting pods?  I've added the proper ballisticscomputer values to the weapons configs, and that works, but I can't get the targeting pod view "optic" view to come up.  I can't find it in the A3 Sample files on steam.  I tried 

driverWeaponsInfoType = "RscOptics_CAS_01_TGP";

as that was the most obvious thing I could find in vanilla aircraft configs, but no luck.  Note I also have a copilot/turret gunner responsible for the bombs on this aircraft, and I tried "TurretInfoType =" with the same result.  In the past I was able to get gunnerOpticsModel/driverOpticsModel to work, but not with any display data like the orientation indicator as seen in the Targeting Pod.  

Strange, that should be enough. At least for some elements to show up.

Anyway - if you want to use the same optic elements as vanilla CAS airplanes you'll have to use both these:

unitInfoType = "RscOptics_CAS_Pilot"; //rsc with DriverOptics elements
driverWeaponsInfoType = "RscOptics_CAS_01_TGP"; //rsc with Weapon elements
Copy/paste of the full TGP config

unitInfoType = "RscOptics_CAS_Pilot"; //rsc with DriverOptics elements
driverWeaponsInfoType = "RscOptics_CAS_01_TGP"; //rsc with Weapon elements

class pilotCamera //targeting pod
{
    class OpticsIn
    {
        class Wide
        {
            opticsDisplayName = "WFOV";
            initAngleX=0; minAngleX=0; maxAngleX=0;
            initAngleY=0; minAngleY=0; maxAngleY=0;
            initFov = 0.25;
            minFov = 0.25;
            maxFov = 0.25;
            visionMode[] = {"Normal","Ti"};
            thermalMode[] = {0,1};
            gunnerOpticsModel = "\A3\Drones_F\Weapons_F_Gamma\Reticle\UAV_Optics_Gunner_wide_F.p3d";
            opticsPPEffects[]=
            {
                "OpticsCHAbera2",
                "OpticsBlur2"
            };
        };
        class Medium : Wide
        {
            opticsDisplayName = "MFOV";
            initFov = 0.125;
            minFov = 0.125;
            maxFov = 0.125;
            gunnerOpticsModel = "\A3\Drones_F\Weapons_F_Gamma\Reticle\UAV_Optics_Gunner_medium_F.p3d";

};
        class Narrow : Wide
        {
            opticsDisplayName = "NFOV";
            initFov = 0.03125;
            minFov = 0.03125;
            maxFov = 0.03125;
            gunnerOpticsModel = "\A3\Drones_F\Weapons_F_Gamma\Reticle\UAV_Optics_Gunner_narrow_F.p3d";
        };

showMiniMapInOptics = true;
        showUAVViewInOptics= false;
        showSlingLoadManagerInOptics= false;

};

minTurn = -160;
	maxTurn  = +160;
	initTurn = 0;
	minElev = -10;
	maxElev = 90;
	initElev = 0;
	maxXRotSpeed = 0.3;
	maxYRotSpeed = 0.3;
	pilotOpticsShowCursor = 1;
	controllable = true;
};

Also I will update the samples :)

• Like 2

@oukej: is the CCIP available as a source for MFD config?

If not, you got yourself a feature request ;)

Some feedback:

APC's - Gorgon,Marid,Marshall

1) Gunner can't see crosshairs

2) Commander can see wrong crosshair for gunner and crosshair not change after change type of gun

Check screenshot(Titan crosshair wrong, it's for rockets for heli)

6cwESRM.jpg

3) Driver doesn't know anything, which looks commander, which looks gunner

Tracked APC's - Mora, Kamysh

1) Driver only can see which looks gunner, crosshairs wrong and doesn't changed after change type of gun

2) For Commander crosshairs change only for Titan missile on Kamysh, and this crosshair wrong.

Tanks

1) Same issues

Edited by pr9inichek

@oukej

is it possible to see, in normal pilot view, where the targeting pod ist looking at?

If i found a target with the targeting pod and switch back, I have problems finding the target again.

Maybe ist possible to see a marker, where the targeting pod is pointing at.

At least when ist locked to the ground. Like the cross from lasermarkers, you see on the ground when laserdesignators are on.

then you could allign the CCIP piper over the targetingpod marker and drop the bomb easier :)

or give the targeting pod a real laserdesignator, like the A10 in real has.

In the cfgAmmo configs i can find

weaponLockSystem = "2 + 16" for example (AA missile).

What does 16 stand for? It's not mentioned in the wiki

Generally it can be anything you want :) (in our configs the 16 is probably just a left-over from older missile detection)

lockDetectionSystem of a vehicle checks against the weaponLockSystem flags defined in the config of the weapon (cfgWeapons) that is targeting the vehicle

incomingMissileDetectionSystem checks against the weaponLockSystem flags defined in the config of the missile (cfgAmmo) that is being guided towards the vehicle

• Like 1

ok thank you, i improved the description on the biki a bit.

It seems that the missiledetectionsystem in vanilla (flag 16) basically picks up any missile fired at the target, irregardless of missile lock type. With custom flags, one could implement exclusive detection of missiles with their own radar for example. That's great news.

• Like 1

Now that APEX is released can we expect further improvement with the targeting system?
Personally I miss the laser option but that's just me. 

Now that APEX is released can we expect further improvement with the targeting system?

And AI AT support (fixed, or rotor wing) will became mostly useless, or (after increasing AI skills) all infantry become snipers ;)

Old mate oukej said a while back that there will be improvements and features added after Apex. 

oukej, now with apex released, i tested all the most recent improvments and like them a lot.

I noticed the targeting and lead computing of the big blackfisch-vtol guns, where you lock on to a target and impact will be, where you aim relative to the locked target.

i was wondering, if you guys noticed, that with that implemantation you are very, very, very close to a decent implemantation of the nato NLAW launcher?!

the only difference that i see is the blackfish compensating by internally changing the aimpoint / gun elevation to compensate, while with the NLAW the offset would have to be translated to a curved flight path of the missle.

i'm not a complete realism-geek, but i really would like some more realism for the NLAW, because it would balance it against the titan and a decent targeting implementation would also make great gameplay. it would require some thinking to be effective with it and the targets would have a change of survival if they can pull off a quick speed or course change.

i like the new targeting systems at work on the blakfish guns, but obviously it only works, when you can lock on a target.

however the blakfish will be mostly used to supress infantry and the only way to engage infantry, is to have a "dummy" vehicle somewhere near to establish a lock.

it woud really help if you could add manual lead compensation to adjust your guns to the movement of the plane. alternatively it would help if you could somehow lase a point on terrain and have the guns auto-compensate for that range/lead and keep it until you lase the next time or lock on to a vehicle.

this way blakfish and similar weapon paltform could engage infantry without the need for a "dummy" vehicle to lock on.

I love the effort Bohemia is putting into this! Thank you oukej and the other devs.

I am however still using the old Xendance mod. I love the target lead cannon weaponry. For rockets however the BIS CCIP is still innacurate. Rockets do not hit where the CCIP is pointing to but rather a little to the left or right depending on if you are using AP or HE rockets. Using the Xendance CCIP mod the rockets hit spot on.

I'm hoping for some improvements for the BIS implementation.

I love the effort Bohemia is putting into this! Thank you oukej and the other devs.

I am however still using the old Xendance mod. I love the target lead cannon weaponry. For rockets however the BIS CCIP is still innacurate. Rockets do not hit where the CCIP is pointing to but rather a little to the left or right depending on if you are using AP or HE rockets. Using the Xendance CCIP mod the rockets hit spot on.

I'm hoping for some improvements for the BIS implementation.

Yes, beacuse (you propably mean A-164 wipeout) the rocket pods are on left and right wings, CCIP is on the center. I agree this can be fixed by simply creating CCIP for single rocket pod, no center of two pods like is right now.

Is there any way to determine the position on the map a mortar/artillery vehicle is aiming at when it fires?

can you please add some detail/clarification in the BIKI or forum about some targeting parameters:

1) does airLock make AI completely ignore air/ground units with the specific setting? is irLock also necessary? 

2) does autoSeekTarget require locking/targeting an object before or can you fire without and it will seek the closes target to the cursor?

3) some detail on the range between 0-1 in cmImmunity would be very useful

4) is irLock also necessary with airLock for AI? is irTarget only needed for humans with irLock or also relevant to AI?

5) lockType=2 comment is not clear IMO

6) some info on maneuvrability value range and effect would be useful

7) same for sideAirFriction

8) same for trackLead

9) same for trackOversteer

10) is canLock only relevant to players or also to AI?

11) more detail on xxxCanSee please (also turretCanSee is missing)

12) does incomingMissileDetectionSystem have relevance for AI?

13) is irScanXXX the same for AI as for players? like what implications has setting it to 0 for either one

14) does irScanXXX still go beyond visible range (object drawing distance) (even with irScanToEyeFactor)? (this is a major abuse in PvP since OFP..)

15) does irScanGround only influence AI or also has impact on players?

16) what impact does irTarget=0 have on AI - they have to see it by eye or optic, and radar is disabled?

17) lockDetectionSystem description is somewhat confusing imo - what are the implications? what lock is detected? by AI and/or player? what is the effect?

18) does radarType have any impact on AI?

19 same for showAllTargets

20) same for showCrewAim

(overall a tag for influence on: AI, players, both could be useful)

hope you guys find the time for these - much appreciated!

• Like 1

Is there any way to determine the position on the map a mortar/artillery vehicle is aiming at when it fires?

AI is doing it once gun will fire - they have great 6th sense ;) Just get some AI into your team, and you will get 6th sense.

AI is doing it once gun will fire - they have great 6th sense ;) Just get some AI into your team, and you will get 6th sense.

The context is MP anti-troll measure.

Common way to troll is to fire artillery at friendly position and then disconnect/reconnect. Does not show as TK but friendly position devastated.

If I could get the targeted position I could delete the projectile in a fired event if its aimed at a 'Safe Space'

If I could get the targeted position I could delete the projectile in a fired event if its aimed at a 'Safe Space'

i remember seeing a CRAM addon - idk how it functions, but maybe have a look at it. (would also look cooler than just deleting it i guess?)

or give the targeting pod a real laserdesignator, like the A10 in real has.

good news: prototype of laserDesignator is ready

more good news: controls are improved

bad news: you have to wait after my vacation  :P

• Like 12

good news: prototype of laserDesignator is ready

more good news: controls are improved

bad news: you have to wait after my vacation  :P

Spiffy work old chap.

Please tell me that at personal will be able to lock this a10 laser with titans. Like the remote laser designator.

After your hols obviously. Enjoy.