oukej

Targeting improvements

This is GREAT news BIS. Looking forward to finally have a native TGP and hopefully a CCIP solution.

This is GREAT news BIS. Looking forward to finally have a native TGP and hopefully a CCIP solution.

Admittedly I'd prefer the latter have something that doesn't require a target lock/mark, the current restriction being shown in this dev-branch playthrough of the fixed-wing showcase. As for the former, we know that it's WIP so let's see how far the designers' ambitions for the 'virtual TGP' go...

all vanilla airplanes now feature a simple 'virtual' (not modeled) targeting pod with few elements in its UI. It can be accessed by pressing CTRL+RMB (by default)

CTRL + RMB does nothing for me except zooming, any advice? I am using the vanilla A 10

CTRL + RMB does nothing for me except zooming, any advice? I am using the vanilla A 10

Check your "multi-function camera" keybind in the settings.

• Like 1

i've done a little write-up back in the days of the alpha / early access.

most of it is still valid though, as FCS hasn't really been worked on ever since.

please have a look at it. there is a small conclusion at the end, if you don't want to read everything. :)

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/149229-the-communitys-definite-suggestion-for-better-heli-immersion-and-guided-weapon-fcs/

*edit* and please, please, please revisit the NLAW / PCML launcher with your "predicted impact point / lead computing" tech. please!!! :)

Some suggestions for v2 of TGP mainly for aircraft use .  

- need HUD indicator for current TGP aim point   

- slew up / down / left / right key binds to slew on HUD and in TGP window

- ground stabilization (lock on ground point) when lock button pressed with no target in view.  Maintain ability to slew and zoom while ground stabilized.  Auto lock if skewed over target. 

- way to unlock TGP from a ground point.  Could use second press of lock button. 

- a way to return to bore site.   Could be done by cycling TGP on/off

- zoom and thermal cycling are good now

- laser keybind and function

- simple overlay of pitch and roll (rotating wing symbols and pitch ladder)  on the TGP view.  this plus HUD indicator negates essential need for pip.

Ground stabilization with slew is most important for me as searching heads down is key purpose of TGP.  

Good luck!

• Like 2

- ground stabilization (lock on ground point) when lock button pressed with no target in view.  Maintain ability to slew and zoom while ground stabilized.  Auto lock if skewed over target. 

Is being considered.

• Like 4

If you really have to implement where is gunner/commander looking why not make GUI on the side of the screen.

• Like 2

If you really have to implement where is gunner/commander looking why not make GUI on the side of the screen.

This indicator was also part of the initial optics design back in time.

The solution implemented instead which serves the very same purpose is currently the 'compass' on top of the screen. It may not be as nice as an element tailored according to individual optics (like the one you made), but it also has few advantages - it's universal and easier to communicate, learn.

As much as we'd love to have all the info indicated via diegetic, ingame elements that are part of the optics of individual vehicle or weapon we lack the resources to do it.

Anyway - such indicator still gives you only a very rough information about the turret's direction.

When you're commanding the AI you need to know when the AI is aimed and can fire. Communicating it via radio could lead to spam and blocking of other messages or commands.

We're considering whether to make the crew aim indicators a difficulty option nonetheless.

We're considering whether to make the crew aim indicators a difficulty option nonetheless.

Thanks, I would decide in the advantage of that since this feature is clearly aimed at Singleplayer experience.

In mutliplayer however it would have drawbacks like overlapping reticles, non unified GUI experience (non hud based solution,

it's more akin to jack of all trades where every faction tank has the same GUI style.Then there's cluttering screen space with

more reticles.

Since most modern tanks (maybe even all) have some sort of a visual representation of the position the gunner is aiming, I think it should not treated as a difficulty setting but rather a feature of a modern tank. Furthermore, I think the difficulty settings should only contain features which do not exist in RL at all, like group indicators in for of octagons etc.

Edit: Okay, I just realised that the crosshair for gunner/command is always visible  not only in the HUD. I thought that was because it had the weapon crosshair enabled, but it wasn't. I highly dislike that. It should be only visible in the optic mode

• Like 1

why not treat it like the radar/compass setting (iirc)?

Setting in the vehicle config:

0 - always off

1 - depending on difficulty (part of ease-of-use radar/sensor "package")

2 - alway on

alternatively to the "1" option of putting it in the difficulty menu... make it a hotkey to disable/enable it. "extended HUD targeting info" something like that.

why not treat it like the radar/compass setting (iirc)?

Setting in the vehicle config:

0 - always off

1 - depending on difficulty (part of ease-of-use radar/sensor "package")

2 - alway on

This used to be true for showAllTargets and canLock in cfgWeapons, but has been removed in 1.58. Having the same element dependent both on vehicle config and difficulty in all combinations can be a bit messy. Is it then just a 'helper', an 'aid' or is it 'part of the game'?

With dedicated actions it's also difficult - we already have too many keybinds :)

What about a setting like the AFM ? Independent from the difficulty, but mission editors can disable it or force it.

14-04-2016

EXE rev. 135532 (game)

DATA

• Added: Available laser targets are now indicated to the crews of vehicles equipped with a laser tracker (laserScanner)
ENGINE
  • Tweaked: AutoZeroing does not need the canLock parameter anymore
  • There's now a way to show only all targets from laserScanner (new option: showAllTargets = 4) instead of all targets from all scanners (showAllTargets = 2).

(available in OPFOR and BLUFOR CAS, the rest (gunships, airplane drones) are coming in the next dev. update)

Cf_-YnxXIAEN5QZ.jpg

• ballisticsComputer = 1 no longer requires canLock = 2 in the cfgWeapons and depends only on whether the vehicle's sensors (xyScanner in cfgVehicles) can see and track the target. So for example if your vehicle is equipped with laser spot tracker (laserScanner = 1), then ballisticsComputer = 1 will give you automatic gun adjustments (lead, elevation and own motion compensation) for firing at the marked & tracked laser target.
  • Like 5

As much as we'd love to have all the info indicated via diegetic, ingame elements that are part of the optics of individual vehicle or weapon we lack the resources to do it.

I totally understand that and just want to add, that there are some situation where diegetic elements mix with generic ui in a very bad way. For example the titan launcher which has this "diegetic" viewfinder with working indicators, which is then mixed with generic ui, which feels totally out of place. In these cases, it would be better to work with generic ui ONLY (with a more generic rendering of the viewfinder for example - comparable to the vehicle gunner sight).

That said, i like whre you are going with the update. I Hope you also tackle the fact, that vehicles sensor automatically pick up, if target is enemy, neutral or friendly. it shouldn't distinguish between neutral and enemy. in case of IFF it should however identify friendy. (make JTACs great again!!!)

Keep up the good work! Can't wait for it to lock on to and engage stable branch!!!

• There's now a way to show only all targets from laserScanner (new option: showAllTargets = 4) instead of all targets from all scanners (showAllTargets = 2).

(available in OPFOR and BLUFOR CAS, the rest (gunships, airplane drones) are coming in the next dev. update)

Cf_-YnxXIAEN5QZ.jpg

• ballisticsComputer = 1 no longer requires canLock = 2 in the cfgWeapons and depends only on whether the vehicle's sensors (xyScanner in cfgVehicles) can see and track the target. So for example if your vehicle is equipped with laser spot tracker (laserScanner = 1), then ballisticsComputer = 1 will give you automatic gun adjustments (lead, elevation and own motion compensation) for firing at the marked & tracked laser target.

The love air vehicles are getting is making me rock hard!  B)

On a more serious note keep it up! This is great news 

• Like 1

The love air vehicles are getting is making me rock hard!  B)

On a more serious note keep it up! This is great news 

Same here... My tab key should be content, as these features should prevent most of the key smashing this game forces me into just to get a lock on something.  :wub:

I like the new AFV crew looking indicators for the reason that they very basically emulate two important functions available to commanders in armoured vehicles.

1. The ability for the commander to non-verbally designate a target for the gunner.
    This is normally done via a button that automatically slaves and rotates the turret to point at the area the commander's independent optics are currently looking at. In older tanks like the M1A1 the commander would take over control of the turret itself and move it manually to what he wanted the gunner to look at. This ties into point 2, which is
  2. The ability for the commander to see what the gunner is looking at.
    In almost any tank or AFV there's a commander's gun sight extension, which is essentially a cloned view of what the gunner is seeing though his primary sight. This is essential for the commander to help the gunner identify his target and to verify that the gunner is about to engage the target the commander designated.

I don't think the new indicators are nearly as good as having access to those functions themselves would be, but it's a huge improvement over the more WW2-like gunner-commander interaction that's in the game right now.

That said, i like whre you are going with the update. I Hope you also tackle the fact, that vehicles sensor automatically pick up, if target is enemy, neutral or friendly. it shouldn't distinguish between neutral and enemy. in case of IFF it should however identify friendy. (make JTACs great again!!!)

Will be discussed.

• Like 2

Why don`t you cheat,and use the stuff,- the laser (inviz) as a computer for CCIP?   You seem to have all the needed things but not the HUD .It should use the laser,but mimic the CCRP.

correct me, if i'm wrong, but CCIP and CCRP is for unguided bombs, so you have to calculate at every moment where unguided bomb would hit, if released in same moment.

so i don't know, how the laser would help here...

CCIP "Constantly computed impact point" is used by any unguided weapon system. It uses the radar to calculate which distance you are from your target and then the onboard computer makes all the calculations regarding altitude, ballistics ect.. which then shows as an aiming pipper on the HUD. CCRP "Constantly computed release point" uses the GPS so you don't need a direct line of sight to your target but is only meant for bombs as far as I know.

http://wiki.hoggit.us/view/HUD

https://youtu.be/M0w9pdG64wI

• Like 1