DarkDruid

New Respawn Screen (dev branch)

I think the menu would be better using elements similar to the eden editor on left or right side.

Maybe something like this.

og7Sub2.png

Another idea would be to separate the gear/loadouts/inventory from the respawn element.

The gear and loadouts GUI could also be used in-game to change your specialty and loadout and only arsenal if you need to tweak it.

I think the new implementation is too cramped on the bottom of the screen.

This had been done before  other games BF & more recently Sq**d.

This had been done before  other games BF & more recently Sq**d.

please call me once there is a popular public mission in that style... been wating 3 years now :}

I kindly request the provision for a CUSTOM "menuposition" template.

I am afraid that in the new system, a template name "menuPosition" is embedded in the new functions (e.g bis_showMenuPositon) and if you need to create a custom template with a different name you have to recreate ALL the new functions modified to allow for the new name and probably that is just the begining.

Prior to the new system, only ONE function needed to be recreated and it would work with the exist structure of functions.

Please let me know if I got this wrong and I will keep looking for the answer.

I would like to give an example: Prior to the new respawn functions, I had taken your RespawnMenuPosition function and have added a delay to show the death animation scene before the respawn menu kicked in, music that was playing while in the UI, player scoring (different than default) ,friendly kill punishment code, certain timed invulnerability after respawning and some other stuff. It is still working nicely on the standard Arma 3 version. I would like a way to do this in the new respawn system. I do not mind the work but it is a little difficult trying to find where else to look, for example the "Bis_rscRespawnControsMap_show" variable :)

Will it be possible to simply not use this, and stick with how respawning works now, scripts and all?

Yes, absolutely. This new respawn screen is used only if a mission designer wants to use it (sets required respawn templates).

My visual feedback. The first thing that jumped out at me...

Thanks a lot for your feedback! We looked into all your comments. Some issues/points mentioned by you (for example those two respawn buttons) should be already fixed/changed, some others will follow. I am afraid not all your notes will be completely implemented, for example some of your mockups are big step in the direction where things were before and for various reasons we don't think it worked so well. On the other hand, your feedback is really valuable for us and even though we don't change everything according it, there is definitely inspiration for us and things to think about, so big thanks for that!

I think the menu would be better using elements similar to the eden editor on left or right side.

We were thinking about this approach as well, we have even created some pre-implementation mockups in this direction, but unfortunately it didn't seem to work the way we wanted.

The gear and loadouts GUI could also be used in-game to change your specialty and loadout and only arsenal if you need to tweak it.

I am not sure if I got it right here. We don't want to allow player change roles/loadout on the fly without dying.

I would like to give an example: Prior to the new respawn functions, I had taken your RespawnMenuPosition function and have added a delay to show the death animation scene before the respawn menu kicked in, music that was playing while in the UI, player scoring (different than default) ,friendly kill punishment code, certain timed invulnerability after respawning and some other stuff. It is still working nicely on the standard Arma 3 version. I would like a way to do this in the new respawn system. I do not mind the work but it is a little difficult trying to find where else to look, for example the "Bis_rscRespawnControsMap_show" variable :)

Yes, you are right that there was a lot of changes in the related scripts. This means that some your edits in our scripts will need to be looked up and edited for them to work. We are sorry for that, but it should be still perfectly possible to achieve everything you described. You can expect documentation of new respawn screen which should help you to understand all changes and adjust your scripts. For now, it seems to be too soon to create detailed documentation, because the implementation is not final and there will be definitely some additional changes. Thanks for your understanding!

• Like 4

Thanks for the heads up. I will keep an eye on the development and I definitely understand that it is all for the better :)

• Like 1

I am not sure if I got it right here. We don't want to allow player change roles/loadout on the fly without dying.

We have a current mission that does this now but only at base and FOBS,  we had to quit to the lobby to change role before this feature was implemented.

I can see uses for this new feature but I think we also need these additional features to compliment it:

1) Role limits per side

2) Role limits per solder group

3) Predefined group or role limits within the dynamic groups system, effectively moving the lobby groups into the dynamic group system

I like the work that's being done, its a good step in the right direction.

Yes, absolutely. This new respawn screen is used only if a mission designer wants to use it (sets required respawn templates).

Thank God. 

As for now only units of type "B_medic_F" and some others can heal players to 100%. The same goes for engineers repairing vehicles. With the new respawn screen, will we be able to create custom loadouts which enable the player to heal/repair without having to select a "Combat Life Saver" / "Engineer" slot when joining the server or using a special script?

Do you know if there is a way to transform the Arsenal-exported inventory format into the CfgRespawnInventory format?

I'll check that tonight, thank you!

They have also added this week to dev branch :

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setUnitLoadout

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/getUnitLoadout

Which produces this output:

[["arifle_MX_ACO_pointer_F","","acc_pointer_IR","optic_Aco",["30Rnd_65x39_caseless_mag",30],[],""],[],["hgun_P07_F","","","",["16Rnd_9x21_Mag",16],[],""],["U_B_CombatUniform_mcam",[["FirstAidKit",1],["30Rnd_65x39_caseless_mag",30,2],["Chemlight_green",1,1]]],["V_PlateCarrier1_rgr",[["30Rnd_65x39_caseless_mag",30,7],["16Rnd_9x21_Mag",16,2],["SmokeShell",1,1],["SmokeShellGreen",1,1],["Chemlight_green",1,1],["HandGrenade",1,2]]],[],"H_HelmetB","",[],["ItemMap","","ItemRadio","ItemCompass","ItemWatch","NVGoggles"]] 

Looks promising... Currently using 

respawnTemplates[] = {"MenuPosition","MenuInventory","Tickets","Spectator"};

On the main build using the above templates together overlays the respawn inventory/position screen on top of your spectator view.

I'm assuming you've fixed that in the Dev build :) I'm excited.

Currently i've been relying on customs scripts being called to be able to use menu inventory and the spectator system together.

Can't wait!

Just so you know, the "menuPosition" template works ONLY on first respawn (version: 1.59.135679). After that, the player spawns instantly. Template and respawn delay is ignored. I have set the parameters either through the description.ext or through the Eden attributes. The results are the same.

We have a current mission that does this now but only at base and FOBS,  we had to quit to the lobby to change role before this feature was implemented.

I can see uses for this new feature but I think we also need these additional features to compliment it:

1) Role limits per side

2) Role limits per solder group

3) Predefined group or role limits within the dynamic groups system, effectively moving the lobby groups into the dynamic group system

I like the work that's being done, its a good step in the right direction.

I can't guarantee that we will support all these options. I am afraid that scope of the current respawn related task isn't so wide to cover all these areas and we would need to significantly change even some other things in the game. I am currently talking mainly about features like changing of loadout on the fly during the mission. On the other hand, we keep all these requirements in our mind and we will try to support any similar mission features and functionality changes in our scripts as much as possible. Thanks for all your notes and feedback!

As for now only units of type "B_medic_F" and some others can heal players to 100%. The same goes for engineers repairing vehicles. With the new respawn screen, will we be able to create custom loadouts which enable the player to heal/repair without having to select a "Combat Life Saver" / "Engineer" slot when joining the server or using a special script?

I am afraid that answer to your question is no. There are currently no plans to change the way loadouts work, at least not in this task and in the respawn overhaul. I personally believe that better place for any such feature would be Arsenal or 3D editor, so I will inform developers working on these about your proposal and maybe they will implement it in some way. Thanks for your feedback!

Just so you know, the "menuPosition" template works ONLY on first respawn (version: 1.59.135679). After that, the player spawns instantly. Template and respawn delay is ignored. I have set the parameters either through the description.ext or through the Eden attributes. The results are the same.

Thanks for your report. We are currently investigating this issue and we try to fix it as soon as possible.

• Like 1

I am afraid that answer to your question is no. There are currently no plans to change the way loadouts work, at least not in this task and in the respawn overhaul. I personally believe that better place for any such feature would be Arsenal or 3D editor, so I will inform developers working on these about your proposal and maybe they will implement it in some way. Thanks for your feedback!

Thank you for the reply and effort. Good developers careing for their community are pretty rare these days. :)

Hi there, I think I may have run into a bug that's possibly related to the new overlay.

In any given situation on the map screen there appears to be a hidden GUI element taking up a portion of the bottom of the screen.

I have marked the area in red in the screenshot:

HiXS2AxL.jpg

Moving the cursor over this area changes its icon to an arrow as you would get when you mouse over a GUI element (Though I can't capture that in the screenshot).

The effect of this is that it removes map interaction within this box, so no GPS coords on the cursor or no ability to double click to add a map note.

While this may just be cooincidence, the size of the box is consistent with that of the new respawn overlay and has only appeared within the last week.

E

EDIT: Ah looks like Imperator beat me to it, but the screen should illustrate his point too.

I believe, from testing today, this issue has resurfaced in the last two DEV branch updates.

E

I believe, from testing today, this issue has resurfaced in the last two DEV branch updates.

Hi, unfortunately I am not able to reproduce this issue in today's dev branch version. I tried it in an empty SP mission and the map worked just fine. Could you please provide some repro steps how to achieve this issue in current version? Thanks!

• Like 1

Is there any way to disable the function of the "menuPosition" template AFTER the mission has started? Through scripting? For example, after a certain number of respawns, the player does not enter the respawn screen anymore and gets transferred to the mission ending scene.

On a different topic, the issue with the player not entering the "menuPosition" template after the second life has been resolved in today's update. So the "menuPosition" template works consistently through ALL player respawns.

Hi Darkdruid, I experienced it playing the Gunship Showcase mission. The only mod I had active at the time was the recently release 'official' mod (p90). Afraid I'm away from my machine for the next few days, so can't test further till I return.

I have an issue on main branch o\in regards to the current respwan menus. Before 1.58 I had a script that would call the respawn inventory menu at the start of the game only once. 

[player] call BIS_fnc_respawnMenuInventory;

Ever since 1.58 the script still gets called, but the respawn button is disabled. Even if i have code [west, "respawn_west"] call BIS_fnc_addRespawnPosition;

(Link - https://gyazo.com/51db77da011648f6d93f04ca759ce760)

Were there changes in 1.58 that may have changed the backend and broken this in preparation for the new upcoming respawn screen?

Note: It might be useful to know I call the menu manually instead of using respawntemplates = {...} because as I mentioned earlier... the menu can't be used with the spectator mode, it overlays on top of it in the current build

Is there any way to disable the function of the "menuPosition" template AFTER the mission has started? Through scripting? For example, after a certain number of respawns, the player does not enter the respawn screen anymore and gets transferred to the mission ending scene.

I believe the tickets respawn template could be helpful in this matter. You can limit number of available respawns this way. For more info see the table with available respawn templates in here: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Respawn#Respawn_Templates

Were there changes in 1.58 that may have changed the backend and broken this in preparation for the new upcoming respawn screen?

Note: It might be useful to know I call the menu manually instead of using respawntemplates = {...} because as I mentioned earlier... the menu can't be used with the spectator mode, it overlays on top of it in the current build

No, there weren't any such changes as far as I know. All changes related to the new respawn screen should stay out of main branch for now. Have you tried to disable the spectator part of the respawn screen by not using the spectator respawn template? It should work this way without need to call the related functions manually.

• Like 1

I was unaware that "object" was added in the list of <target>. I will look into it. Thank you for pointing it out.

Checked it out. I am afraid, it will not do what I need. When respawn tickets run out, the player STILL goes in the respawn menu and sits there since the interface is disabled. I have a custom ending so I cannot use the "ending" function yet at that moment.

What I need is to disable the menuPosition interface but still have the player respawn. e.g like what would normally happen with simple "base" respawn.

Maybe if I knew how the description.ext "menuPosition" template triggers the first function that starts the process, I might be able to intervene.

So far it looks that the onplayerKilled.sqf is triggered before the menuPosition template and maybe I can intervene there. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Dev Game version: 1.59.135857

Errors on screen on entering Respawn Screen:

15:58:19 Error in expression <ntity;

_limitArray = _inventoryDataList select _pos;

if (((count _limitArray) ==>

15:58:19 Error position: <select _pos;

if (((count _limitArray) ==>

15:58:19 Error Zero divisor

15:58:19 File A3\functions_f\respawn\fn_showRespawnMenuInventoryList.sqf, line 77

Above error still in Dev ver: 1.59.135908