I've started playing the campaign and my  companion died in the first firefight. I wasn't surprised in the least because I've played the previous entries and know how the AI is, actually, I was glad I don't have to babysit anyone.

The problem is that the task tells me to go to the airport but no matter what road I try, the game fails the mission fo disobeying orders. Is the mission over when he dies? If so, why the hell would they let me continue to waste my time?

Which mission is it? I don't ever remember being told to go to an airport in any of the early missions. 

(Also-I am moving this topic to the campaign section.)

Maybe this could help out?

Oopen your map, read the tasks and look at where the objectives are.

Then, follow them and you won't have mission failed for not following orders.

It's the first mission of the game. The task is RETREAT and it points towards the airport on Stratis with no other info given. I'll probably give up and keep that guy alive. :/

From memory, the AI leader with you is completely invincible for the first mission (Drawdown 2035). Are you using mods?

Adams (your fireteam leader) is set to be invulnerable for the duration of the entire mission so he shouldn't be getting killed at all. Double check to make sure that you're not running any mods.

Also the task that you're given initially is to pull back to Camp Rogain. You're heading in the wrong direction if you move towards Stratis Air Base so yes, naturally you'll fail the mission for trying to do so.

Thats right-you dont go near Stratis airbase at all. Adams should survive that whole mission. For the first few missions of the campaign make sure to stick to the waypoints given.

The mission you're asking help for, just did it again.. They say "retreat to the rogan base", the base you was dispatched from. 

If you're headed towards the airfield, no wonder you're having issues completing it :)

From memory, the AI leader with you is completely invincible for the first mission (Drawdown 2035). Are you using mods?

Thanks, that's probably it. I'm using ACE3 (without the medical module) because the enemies are bullet sponges otherwise (4 shots from P99 from a step away in the head and they don't even seem to care) and the repacking mechanic and improvet bullet physics.

Edit: Seems it wasn't ACE3. Maybe bCombat? I'll have to check. :/ Still, invincible characters = bad mission design.

Still: playing with no mod is the best thing to do

Thanks, that's probably it. I'm using ACE3 (without the medical module) because the enemies are bullet sponges otherwise (4 shots from P99 from a step away in the head and they don't even seem to care) and the repacking mechanic and improvet bullet physics.

Edit: Seems it wasn't ACE3. Maybe bCombat? I'll have to check. :/ Still, invincible characters = bad mission design.

I would advise against ai mods like bcombat for the campaign.Many parts of it rely on ai going to certain spots to trigger things.Other things that ace and bcombat can change are the distance enemies can hear/react to gunshots etc-this can make them move from areas they should stay at. This is less of an issue in the second chapter of the campaign where you are leading a squad instead of following them.Maybe just stick to weapon mods,sound mods,MCC stuff like that?

I believe ASR_AI is fine for the campaign if you want ai mods-the maker of it said he played the whole campaign with asr_ai running.