Sign in to follow this  
rikupsoni

Video settings ATOC trees – unfair advantage?

I was switching options while in-game and was surprised to see that the ATOC video settings (AA & PP) made some large changes to how big the trees are. The "Grass" option also makes grass slightly smaller, "Arrowhead trees" makes trees smaller than "All trees".

The screenshots are from the Chernarus map but the settings affects trees the same way in Altis and Stratis:

http://imgur.com/a/Xs9KD

What do you guys say, is it an unfair advantage? Look especially how well you can see the forest in the background, some trees are significantly smaller allowing you to spot someone and shoot them through what would be leaves.

Yes it makes big difference with the Arma 2 trees. With Arma 3 trees there's not much of a difference. So I disagree with the statement that it affects the same way in Altis and Stratis. The problem was already in the Arma 2.

• Like 2

Yes it makes big difference with the Arma 2 trees. With Arma 3 trees there's not much of a difference. So I disagree with the statement that it affects the same way in Altis and Stratis. The problem was already in the Arma 2.

I just tested again and it doesn't affect Arma 3 pine trees at all, but it does affect leaf trees. I'd say the advantage is not as big as in Arma 2, but some random bushes are significantly smaller and if someone happens to be in such one...

http://imgur.com/a/iB87Q

I should think you'd want it off for PvP but I don't think that qualifies as 'unfair' given the same option is available to everyone.

I don't care for the effect anyway, I find it makes everything look a bit 2-dimensional.

• Like 1

I just say that the Arma 2 trees should've AtoC. Without it they don't conceal anything. Too bad that you need to have 2x AA on so it's quite a big hit for low end cards.

I should think you'd want it off for PvP but I don't think that qualifies as 'unfair' given the same option is available to everyone.

I don't care for the effect anyway, I find it makes everything look a bit 2-dimensional.

Exactly. I would not consider it an "unfair" advantage as everyone has the same settings available to them. If someone feels they want an advantage by turning AtoC on/off then they can do that. Personally I only play SP so I prefer to have it on to make things look better :)

Damn. you do realise alot of people play with no grass right? So they can lay prone and shoot clear as day. while when you're prone you cannot see nothing because you're surrounded by grass. Now that is a proper unfair advantage. Some are just weak players but

Unfortunately some people also actually cannot play with grass because of their system.

I think the whole trees thing takes a back seat to that.

I was switching options while in-game and was surprised to see that the ATOC video settings (AA & PP) made some large changes to how big the trees are. The "Grass" option also makes grass slightly smaller, "Arrowhead trees" makes trees smaller than "All trees".

The screenshots are from the Chernarus map but the settings affects trees the same way in Altis and Stratis:

http://imgur.com/a/Xs9KD

What do you guys say, is it an unfair advantage? Look especially how well you can see the forest in the background, some trees are significantly smaller allowing you to spot someone and shoot them through what would be leaves.

You are realy bored arent you?

You are realy bored arent you?

No it's very big thing. The AtoC for Arma 2 trees actually makes the trees very good at concealing.

Damn. you do realise alot of people play with no grass right? So they can lay prone and shoot clear as day. while when you're prone you cannot see nothing because you're surrounded by grass. Now that is a proper unfair advantage. Some are just weak players but

Unfortunately some people also actually cannot play with grass because of their system.

I think the whole trees thing takes a back seat to that.

Servers can force grass setting (terrain detail).

No it's very big thing. The AtoC for Arma 2 trees actually makes the trees very good at concealing.

No it isnt. It is not even a small thing, its literaly nothing since everyone can turn it off.  I have turned it off as a first thing, because it looks Ugly like hell.

• Like 1

No it isnt. It is not even a small thing, its literaly nothing since everyone can turn it off.  I have turned it off as a first thing, because it looks Ugly like hell.

Well then our taste is completely different because I like it a lot how it looks :D Without it the leaves are just way too thing looking.