I'm having a small icon appear on a HUD for a few seconds, that instantly begins to fade. I'm using:

_display ctrlSetFade 0;   //On instantly
_display ctrlCommit 0;

_display ctrlSetFade 1;  //Then fades over a short time
_display ctrlCommit 1; 

All good. On the same HUD, to have an icon turn on or off (no fading), I'm using this in a loop:

if (_cond) then {
	_display ctrlSetText _text;
	} else {
	_display ctrlSetText "";
};

Again, all good. So, potentially a bit of a dumb question, but I was just wondering if using ctrlSetFade's transparency to hide/unhide an element is better than using ctrlSetText to "re-link"/"de-link" the image file to achieve an on/off effect for the element?

I use ctrlShow to hide. Especially good bc you can use ctrlShown to check if hidden.

• Like 1

As long as it works then it shouldn't matter. That being said, it's possible that the game would have to pull that resource from the HDD each time you switch on/off, which would take a long time (relative to computing times, it's not really that long), but I don't know what goes on under the hood so it's also possible that that resource is already loaded and the game just hooks that to your RscPicture, which would circumvent the previous argument. Again, that being said, it's probably better to just use ctrlSetFade to maintain consistency

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I was thinking along similar lines dreaded, and also wanted to maintain some consistency so i might head that way.