masonddg87

What 5 College Class Should I Take for Object & Terrain Builder

What 5 college classes should I take to improve my understanding of Object Builder and Terrain Builder? I have ideas that I would like to produce, but no one will assist me with these ideas. So I will go it alone. So at present I am finishing my AAS in Computing & Information Technologies (Software). The classes I have finished so far A+, Network+, Security+, Intro Linux , Web Dev. Beginning (HTML5, CSS3), Web Dev. Advanced (XML), Intro GIS. So what classes should I add to the list to use TB & OB  properly?

As neither TB nor OB are comparable to stuff you learn in most lectures and courses there isn't really something that will help you much with the BI tools themself.

But what clearly will help you are courses like more GIS (to get the terrain data, sat textures and layouts for terrains) and something that help you with 3d modelling in general. With the help of Alwarrens Blender Toolbox you can use Blender to model for A3. You should check if you can attend a Blender course somewhere.

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply. But unfortunately GIS is not offered at my college anymore due to low interest in the subject. The local university is not offering it nether. But so far as modeling, my college offers Auto CAD solid modeling courses Beginning and advanced. Will these help my to understand the modeling process batter?

Thank you for your reply. But unfortunately GIS is not offered at my college anymore due to low interest in the subject. The local university is not offering it nether. But so far as modeling, my college offers Auto CAD solid modeling courses Beginning and advanced. Will these help my to understand the modeling process batter?

AutoCAD is more technical than Blender or OB but you will definitly get an understanding of the 3D space and how the process fo creating 3D objects work.

I won't say much about the tools mentioned in the title because I don't use them myself.

But if you use decide to use Blender for model production, you won't need to rely on object builder for much. Obviously you would have to use Alwarren's toolbox to accomplish that, but it's very easy to get used to. The major hurdle most new users have with Blender is the UI. There's an expectation for it to emulate more established programs like Max or Maya. But if you put that aside it's no more difficult than getting to grips with either of those.

I don't think there's any need to study it on an academic level unless you intend to teach it. Most of the resources are online to help you get started. Sites like Blender cookie are a great source of good quality tutorials, covering everything from novice to advanced subjects. For modern game projects people often combine Blender with programs like Zbrush and Xnormal. But that's not necessarily aimed at terrain generation.

In any case, if your intent is modding, then pouring study time into it might be better spent elsewhere. Most of what you need to learn, regardless of the program, can be found on your own time.

If people are unwilling to offer direct help, it's not necessarily out of mean-spiritedness. It's generally a hobbyist environment. So people will work alone or in small groups depending on the project, and whether or not it interests them. As in every other aspect of society, there's people who won't help you no matter what. And may even go so far as to make smart alec comments. But they aren't generally representative of the whole scene.  :)

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply. But I must ask about the information that's out there to instruct those of us about OB & TB. It is so sparse and far between that for the people like me that wish to use OB & TB in total. Than with learning the support from other software like Blender would be useful. But I wish to learn the tools that come with the platform, than branch out to the supportive software products. Therefore, I am looking for ideas of five class that will not only help me with the platform at hand. But also with other job market products.

What 5 college classes should I take to improve my understanding of Object Builder and Terrain Builder? I have ideas that I would like to produce, but no one will assist me with these ideas. So I will go it alone. So at present I am finishing my AAS in Computing & Information Technologies (Software). The classes I have finished so far A+, Network+, Security+, Intro Linux , Web Dev. Beginning (HTML5, CSS3), Web Dev. Advanced (XML), Intro GIS. So what classes should I add to the list to use TB & OB  properly?

If you really want classes, take basic courses in geology and landscape architecture.  Get a practical (that means hands-on) intro course in either drawing, painting, or sculpture.  Better yet, take the couple of hundred dollars you'd spend on the courses, buy a tank full of gas and a tent and go to a state or national park within a day's drive, spend a few days sketching with a 25 cent stick of charcoal and a $5 pad of paper.  Draw everything you see around your camp.  If you want to make good landscapes and models you need to be a lot more rounded than you'll become staring at computer code only.

As for learning TB and OB, there's a lot of info here in the forums.  Bookmark Google.  As for wanting to stick to the " tools that come with the platform" as you put it, I get that, but we're telling you that that doesnt matter.  Almost every 3d modeling program is similar to the rest of them.  Learn any, and you'll be able to learn another.  I personally don't use OB for building and UV mapping:  I use it to take the models I build in other programs and make them work in ARMA.   Can you think of a good reason I might have for doing that?  I have an arsenal of other tools to create terrains.  You can't do it with just those two.  If you want to build your ideas in 3d, you have to put together a toolkit, just as if you're building something in the real world you need more than just a screwdriver and a hammer.

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply. To the question of taking courses in geography, I have as follows: Anthropology, Cultural Geography, Physical Geography, Physical Geography Lab, and Meteorology/Climatology. There are two lift for me to take: Oceanography, and Economic Geography. And due to those classes I am a hiker/camper. Places I have hiked and camped as follows: Zion National Park (Angel Landing), Death Valley National Park, Red Rock Canyon State Park, Valley of Fire State Park, and Mount Charleston Mountain Range. And I am starting an Hiking/Camping Club also. As in my first post, I started the GIS track, but the classes where cancelled due to like of interest.

I very much understand that a lot of information is post in the form. But it is not organized in a manner that a beginner would understand. For those who have been doing this for a while, yes. For me, no. Therefore I wish for ideas of classes to help improve my understanding of the process of 2D/3D modeling, and other learning material to understand the overall structure better.

You can't take a class for this stuff.  Got that?  Think about this for a bit and let it change the way you think about terrain modeling.  You are correct when you say "But it is not organized in a manner that a beginner would understand."  There's a reason for that.  If you can't find the basic tutorials that are out there (how do you think those of us who are building terrains and models and stuff learned?) then you're not equipped for it.  Open your mind, start thinking creatively (which is the kind of exercise your mind needs in order to do this kind of stuff) and figure it out.  If you can strengthen your mental ability to find a creative solution to this problem ("how to learn to make a terrain for ARMA") then you'll be ready to solve the real problems that are going to arise in making terrain models.  Understand?  This is a little test, a quiz to see if you're going to be able to tackle harder problems down the road.  None of those classes you cited threw the final exam at you the first week, did they?  The instructor helped you build up to them, right?  Well, build yourself up by figuring out how to learn how. 

What you can do is set a very simple, achievable goal:  something like, "I want to make a small terrain that I can run around on."    Go here: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/118907-bushs-geotypical-microterrains-source-files-beginners-guide/     get the files, follow his instructions, get them working in your game.  Then make a copy of it, and mess around with it --  try to modify little bits of them.  Dont try to jump ahead, dont skip steps, just get the very basic stuff to run in game.

• Like 2

I've spent the last ~15 years learning how O2 (sorry, Object Builder....old habits) works.

While I don't spend every waking moment within the program I'm still learning things now. Its not something that a college course would cover, you would be much better off taking general courses in 3D modelling that cover all aspects of a industry-standard software such as 3DS Max or Maya - especially if its something you'd like to get into as far as paid work goes.

If on the other hand you decide its not something you want to get into as far as employment goes, then settle for experimenting in your free time by just playing around. I spent the first couple of years with O2 (with not having any real 3D-modelling experience prior to getting the program) just chopping models together making concept weapons from the parts of other different weapons. It wasn't exactly the most exciting series of projects, but I did learn quite a lot about how the application works.

I  think a lot of the problem is that many people (and I'm not saying you're one of them, this is just a generalised statement) want a quick-fix one-stop source for ALL information regarding Addon making. They expect to go from 'concept' to 'finished product' in as little time as possible, taking on a staggering amount of work in the process, but still expecting to have everything done by the end of the week. The simple fact is, modding doesn't work like that as evidenced by all of the up-and-coming mod/addon teams that announce huge multi-faceted projects with huge ambitious goals of bringing an entire branch of the military into the game with a 2-man team, and then wonder why 6-months later that they have very little to show for their work and scrap what little (compared to their overall objective) they have achieved.

The best advice I can give is, as others before me have said, start small. Don't go straight in to trying to make a huge sprawling island or a large-scale weapons pack, but start by making a small island, or a single weapon - learn the processes that go along with it for yourself by searching for tutorials, using the sample-models for learning or experimenting with trial-and-error (probably not the best, but its how many of us old-timers learnt).

Thank you sex_ten & Jackal326 for your reply. First to sex_ten post. In your opening you state "You can't take a class for his stuff" lead's me to think that you don't understand the question I am asking. I will restate it again. What "five classes" would you suggest to take to understand the basics of OB & TB that will be able to be transferred to other platforms in the job market. In other words, what can I learn in the classroom that will improve my understanding of 2D/3D modeling in ArmA, while the same information can help me secure employment.

Reply to Jackal326. As you stated in your opening that it toke you "15 years" to learn about the process of Object Builder. I am not looking for short cuts here. But away to reduce the learning curve in the process of building models on this platform. I am acutely aware of the time it will take me, an me alone to finish the project I have set out to accomplish. On my own I am looking at about five to seven years to maybe get to the med point of the project. I have asked others for their ideas and help, but no joy on the help part. I have taken under consideration to pay for a mod team through oDesk, now Upwork. But the cost for a twelve month timeline came in around $100-150,00.00 for the mod team of four (mod team: audio, coder, mapper, and modeler). These are the skills that I am looking to shorten due to no help are interest in my naval project in ArmA. So by time I am in the meddle of my timeline (one of my classes was in IT Project Management), the platform will probably be ArmA 5, if the series goes out that far.

six_ten is not misunderstanding you. And he's right. It's highly unlikely there are specific "classes" you can take as part of your college tuition that will teach you the skills you need to use either terrain builder or object builder. If your college has any kind of class/course that teaches a foundation in 3d modeling that's the closest you'll get. You have 2 options then. Join that class/course, if it exists, or do some research on your own. Much like the vast majority of people here. Outside of that, your only other option involves a paid course, either generic or specific to a particular application.

Besides all that no-one here has any idea what classes are actually available to you. So how can advice be given in that regard?

Learning something like Object builder will not transfer to other programs as readily as learning something like 3ds max, Maya, Blender etc. Learning how to use applications like those will actually be more beneficial in the long term. 

Object builder certainly won't prepare you for something like ZBrush, Max, Maya etc. These are industry standard applications. And are the type of programs most professional 3d artists are familiar with. OB may have a familiar ring to it. But it's still quite specific to the Arma series.   :)

• Like 1

If you are interested in employment, learning 3D CAD software like Autocad or Solidworks could be worthwhile. The modelling concepts are similar and the jobs are more available. Doing a quick search for jobs on seek.com.au (the most commonly used online job search in Australia) shows:

3Dmax = 2 jobs
Blender = 1 job
Maya = 7 jobs
ZBrush = 2 jobs

Autocad = 1021 jobs
Archicad = 218 jobs
Revit = 854 jobs
Inventor = 41 jobs
Solidworks = 69 jobs
Microstation = 69 jobs

*Many of the above results are probably the same jobs returned for searching for each program, but the proportion of available Art vs CAD jobs is valid.

Realistically the modelling part of these CAD jobs isn't going to be as stimulating or challenging, and they also require other technical knowledge beyond using the software. The downside is you are likely to lose interest in modelling for recreation after drafting all day.

As macser said above, I understood your question perfectly well.  Did you understand my answer?  You're approaching this in a way that isn't going to help you get where you want to go.  I gave you a route that should help you achieve your goal of learning to use the tools. 

Have you opened Bushlurker's sample terrain that I gave you the link for in my earlier post?  Have you got it working in game as-is?  What questions do you have about getting it running?  This is how you can learn how to use TB -- when someone who's done it gives you a lead, follow it and make some effort, any effort, and when you get hung up ask for help, describe what you've done, describe what you're trying to do, and you'll likely get useful answers. 

• Like 2

Here are a list of classes that are available to me at my college. 

Graphic Communication:

GRC 101 Introduction to Graphic Communications
GRC 103 Introduction to Computer Graphics
GRC 104 Layout and Typography
GRC 107 Design Fundamentals
GRC 110 Drawing and Illustration
GRC 119 Digital Media
GRC 140 Print Production with InDesign
GRC 156B Design with Illustrator
GRC 183B Design with Photoshop
GRC 294B Portfolio Prep

CADD Technologies:

CADD 100 Introduction to Computer Aided Drafting
CADD 105 Intermediate Computer Aided Drafting
CADD 140 Technical Drafting I
CADD 141B Technical Drafting II
CADD 245 Solid Modeling and Parametric Design
CADD 246B Solid Modeling and Parametric Design II
CADD 250 CAD Systems Management
CADD 299B CADD Capstone

Geography:

GEOG 103 Physical Geography (Taken)

GEOG 104 Physical Geography Laboratory (Taken)

GEOG 106 World Geography (Taken)

GEOG 109 Economic Geography

GEOG 116 Oceanography

GEOG 117 Meteorology/Climatology (Taken)

These are the classes that is offered. As one poster stated that they did not know the class lineup.

Well, if you're set on the class route,

GRC 103 Introduction to Computer Graphics

Not sure what exactly that entails. But if you haven't delved into the graphical side of computers it might offer some insights.

GRC 110 Drawing and Illustration

If it has artistic fundamentals, it could be worth doing. Understanding things like form and light are important.

GRC 183B Design with Photoshop

Some kind of introduction to photoshop will definitely be useful.

CADD 245 Solid Modeling and Parametric Design

Sounds like it might involve Solidworks. Fairly technical stuff, used by engineers and product designers. But I suppose it is does have a 3d aspect. It might require you to have done the preceding classes in that CAD list though.

They're only suggestions based on what's offered. I can't see much else that would peak my own interest, if it were me. Not considering what you mentioned. The information already suggested is still valid. :)

I know you mentioned OB and TB specifically. But what is it you're interested in doing? Terrains? Buildings? Characters? Vehicles?

What kind of work is it you'd like to end up doing?

Like to waste money, eh?