HeroesandvillainsOS

This error spams my rpt non-stop before crash. Any clue what could cause it?

"13:15:05 WARNING: SuppressCache::Trace called with huge input. Function exited to prevent program stall inside. tBeg[165.000000,0.964884,0.000000]; tEnd[-0.262677,17799.156250,166.386459]; ammoHit(0.000000); distance(166.386459)

13:15:05 In last 500 miliseconds was lost another 2 these messages."

I got a new PC the other day and have suddenly had issues with "unable_to_init_dxgi" and "DXGI Error Device Removed" exit codes. My rpt logs say I'm running out of memory immediately before I CTD. This is happening non-stop since getting the new rig.

After reinstalling the game fresh, doing a clean install of my GFX driver, running -malloc=system in my launch parameters, trying the performance binaries, and a myriad of other things, I noticed this error above spam my rpt file over and over and over (I'd estimate maybe around 1,000 times) before I ran out of memory again and got the exit code "DXGI Error Device Removed."

Does anyone have any idea what that warning message means or where it could come from? I've done some googling and I see some EXILE servers have had this issue (I don't play EXILE, btw). Unfortunately, no solutions or theories yet. Anyone ever seen this before?

Could be bad ram or dead video card.  

open dxdiag from the start menu and dump a log, then put it up here, check how much RAM the system is reporting as well, if theres a dead stick (usually) the system wouldn't POST at all, though if that fails then it shouldn't show up as usable memory.

What's your system specs, specifically RAM and VRAM (graphics card dedicated RAM)

I have an:

i7 6700K by Intel

EVGA GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0

16 (8x2) Corsair Vengence Memory Sticks

500 GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (I have one game installed on the system and plenty of free space).

open dxdiag from the start menu and dump a log, then put it up here, check how much RAM the system is reporting as well, if theres a dead stick (usually) the system wouldn't POST at all, though if that fails then it shouldn't show up as usable memory.

Ok. Thank you.

I'll do that and post it back here. I really appreciate the replies guys.

Yeah, could be bad RAM. The amounts you have are great, so no issue there. I would start dealing out sticks and see what happens. Take one out, see if issue is still there, then if it is, take it out and replace with the other one.

Also, try using the -maxMem=2047 and -maxVRAM=3071 in addition to -malloc=system

Yeah, could be bad RAM. The amounts you have are great, so no issue there. I would start dealing out sticks and see what happens. Take one out, see if issue is still there, then if it is, take it out and replace with the other one.

Also, try using the -maxMem=2047 and -maxVRAM=3071 in addition to -malloc=system

Cool. Thanks. Before I go taking out RAM sticks, is there any way to test it (or basically if it's reporting the proper RAM, as Austin_medic said, would that mean the RAM is ok?)?

I actually paid someone to build the rig so if I have to remove it myself, is it just as simple as removing the stick (with the PC off of course) or will I need to reinstall any drivers or anything afterwards? Pretty sure I know how to remove the sticks so I'm not asking how to physically do it, just not sure what the result of that will be once I reboot.

Check it in resource manager under the Memory tab, it should report 16 gigabytes (though might not be exact as some is reserved for the operating system and may be hidden, also computers scale it to the power of 2 I believe, so 1024(or 1 gigabyte)x8 = 8192 megabytes x 2 = 16384 ), as well as how much is being used to do what

to remove, simply pull the tabs on both ends of the memory stick outwards (they hold it in place), away from it, then gently pull straight out and the stick should just pop right out. no drivers exist for RAM, no need since its all exactly the same in its design and function, just different manufacturer or different fancy heatspreader on it. Putting it back in is easy because its keyed, and only goes in one way (hence the little notch where the pins are), once its in the slot, push the tabs inwards until the stick clicks into the slot.

if it was built by some joe like you or more then its possible that person killed one of the RAM sticks with static energy they had built up if they weren't smart enough to discharge themselves before they touched it

Even then ram might not be totally dead dead but its got problems potentially (in which case you could test with something like memtest86, in that case you'd need a USB stick to throw it on then tell the machine to boot off that into its own little operating system so it can test your RAM (to boot off a stick or other medium other than hard drive, when the motherboard splashscreen pops up you need to mash the f10 key (I think its that for windows) to bring up the boot menu, which then you can select the memory stick to boot.

There are RAM tests you can do as well, but they have to be run before Windows starts up usually. There are some programs out there that can make you a bootable flash drive to do that. I have had these tests report back as OK before when the stick was actually bad, so tried and true method is still swapping sticks in and out.

Be sure to discharge potential static electricity on you before handling RAM or poking around on insides of computer. Of course, turn off and unplug power from computer to be safe while doing this.

Here's my dxdiag rpt: https://www.dropbox.com/s/879bign7qmf0jis/DxDiag.txt?dl=0

So first things first I can see that my BIOS is out of date. Apparently there is an issue with Skylake CPU's and NVidia GFX Cards (I think that was the conflict) that was patched recently so I definitely will be updating that. Next I'll be running a stress test using GPU-Z and 3DMark Benchmarking to test the memory of my GPU (this was advised to me by EVGA customer support). Then I'll be moving on to the RAM troubleshooting as suggested here.

If you guys see anything else wacky in the link above, I'd appreciate your insight and thanks for everything so far.

Memory: 16384MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 16334MB RAM

its detecting all of the RAM, try updating the BIOS and see if that solves your problem, then torture test the RAM and video card with some benchmarks like you said above

Welp, I just ran the server for 1:02 minutes and didn't crash! Don't want to jump the gun but so far so good! Regardless, the computer is acting much better now. The BIOS update plus the extra memory launch parameters is making the server much snappier! :) I don't want to jinx it though. I'll run a longer session tomorrow but even my average FPS is up.

I didn't realize 3Dmark wasn't free so I also stress tested it with MSI's free program Kombustor. Did the 3BG memory stress and benchmarking test and passed without issue.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks so much for the help so far guys. So far everything seems ok.

There are RAM tests you can do as well, but they have to be run before Windows starts up usually. There are some programs out there that can make you a bootable flash drive to do that. I have had these tests report back as OK before when the stick was actually bad, so tried and true method is still swapping sticks in and out.

Be sure to discharge potential static electricity on you before handling RAM or poking around on insides of computer. Of course, turn off and unplug power from computer to be safe while doing this.

its detecting all of the RAM, try updating the BIOS and see if that solves your problem, then torture test the RAM and video card with some benchmarks like you said above

Damnit. So unfortunately the problems still exist. Well sort of.

So after all the updates my computer is acting so much better. But I hadn't had a chance to stress test it until last night.

Me and my squad played about 2 1/2 hours until suddenly out of nowhere I "crashed" back to the desktop. Except I didn't really crash. ARMA was still open but the screen was all black except I could see my mouse and hear sounds. I could not recover from this.

We all know how delicate MP is. Generally when one person has an issue you ALL have an issue. Such as desync or whatever. But it was just me!

My temps again were fine (20c on components and 62c on the GFX card). Memory in task manager was fine.

I'm also running all the same parameters as listed above.

Amazon said they'd send me a new GTX 970 but I'd really like to hammer down the exact part that's the problem. What do you guys think? Video card issues? Should I RMA it?

well something is wrong with the display driver for sure, it could be a hardware problem or the driver might be screwed up, try reinstalling latest drivers then if that doesn't fix it RMA the card because it probably has some physical defect with it that is causing issues.

well something is wrong with the display driver for sure, it could be a hardware problem or the driver might be screwed up, try reinstalling latest drivers then if that doesn't fix it RMA the card because it probably has some physical defect with it that is causing issues.

Yeah I personally feel pretty confident in ruling out ARMA at this point. If it were the game we all would have had the problem and surly even if it was just my ARMA install, I wouldn't have made it 2 hours before the "crash."

An EVGA rep told me to reinstall the Nvidia driver using DDU just to be sure I've completely removed it before installing it again. But what confuses me is how do you totally uninstall your graphics driver and still be able to see the screen to download the driver again?

Over on EVGA forums, there's a huge thread about similar issues with my card (though most people have to totally restart the PC after a black screen because they'd get a display error too. Mine was just ARMA). The two most popular "fixes" are downclocking back to stock speeds and using EVGA Precision to change the fan profile to be more intensive.

I'm strongly debating on saying "F" this card and just shelling out the extra dough for the 980 or 980ti.

I'll try the three above fixes and see if that helps. Otherwise I'll take Amazon up on the RMA.

Hello!~

I am new to this and I don't know how to post a thread or something like that, My game freezes than unfreezes but my screen is still in the same place. So I can move around because I hear it but my screen is frozen! Any clue why? THANKS

Hello!~

I am new to this and I don't know how to post a thread or something like that, My game freezes than unfreezes but my screen is still in the same place. So I can move around because I hear it but my screen is frozen! Any clue why? THANKS

You cannot post a new thread until you have replied a few times to other posts.  This is to prevent spammers.

Yeah I personally feel pretty confident in ruling out ARMA at this point. If it were the game we all would have had the problem and surly even if it was just my ARMA install, I wouldn't have made it 2 hours before the "crash."

An EVGA rep told me to reinstall the Nvidia driver using DDU just to be sure I've completely removed it before installing it again. But what confuses me is how do you totally uninstall your graphics driver and still be able to see the screen to download the driver again?

Over on EVGA forums, there's a huge thread about similar issues with my card (though most people have to totally restart the PC after a black screen because they'd get a display error too. Mine was just ARMA). The two most popular "fixes" are downclocking back to stock speeds and using EVGA Precision to change the fan profile to be more intensive.

I'm strongly debating on saying "F" this card and just shelling out the extra dough for the 980 or 980ti.

I'll try the three above fixes and see if that helps. Otherwise I'll take Amazon up on the RMA.

Yeah, put your Nividia card back to stock clock settings. You dont need overclocked for Arma3.  As to uninstalling graphics card drivers, you will still be able to see and use your computer.  Windows has a nifty thing with default drivers and plug and play stuff.  It will be able to use your graphics card enough for you to be able to reinstall the drivers.  I really do not recommend overclocking graphics cards unless you really know what you are doing and have a decent amount of experience.  You can not only ruin your graphics card if its not done right, but you can cause strange graphical issues to happen as well.

• Like 1

You cannot post a new thread until you have replied a few times to other posts.  This is to prevent spammers.

Yeah, put your Nividia card back to stock clock settings. You dont need overclocked for Arma3.  As to uninstalling graphics card drivers, you will still be able to see and use your computer.  Windows has a nifty thing with default drivers and plug and play stuff.  It will be able to use your graphics card enough for you to be able to reinstall the drivers.  I really do not recommend overclocking graphics cards unless you really know what you are doing and have a decent amount of experience.  You can not only ruin your graphics card if its not done right, but you can cause strange graphical issues to happen as well.

Yeah I had issues with ARMA and OC'ing on my old computer and removed it quickly. The new computer's card is factory overclocked (I didn't do it myself,) and removing that is the first thing I'm doing when I get home.

Man I hope this fixes the problem. I could give a crap about the OC (though if it does fix it I'd be kind of ticked that I paid for an OC card and had to go back to reference settings. Just from a principal of the thing kind of standpoint).

Good to know about the drivers. Thanks.

Yeah I had issues with ARMA and OC'ing on my old computer and removed it quickly. The new computer's card is factory overclocked (I didn't do it myself,) and removing that is the first thing I'm doing when I get home.

Man I hope this fixes the problem. I could give a crap about the OC (though if it does fix it I'd be kind of ticked that I paid for an OC card and had to go back to reference settings. Just from a principal of the thing kind of standpoint).

Good to know about the drivers. Thanks.

if its factory overclocked, it should be fine.  Definitely should RMA that if resetting to non factory overclocked state fixes it.

if its factory overclocked, it should be fine.  Definitely should RMA that if resetting to non factory overclocked state fixes it.

Sorry to bug you guys again.

I made the changes I mentioned above and played 1:50 minutes and didn't crash. Although that's good for me I do have to bare in mind I went over 2 hours the night before, before the changes. I'll test more tonight.

Question: During the mission I noticed my FPS degrading. I know this can happen for various reasons (even harmless normal ones like being in cities, etc.) so I opened GPU-Z to get a read on what things looked like because my temps were fine.

My GPU memory while in game was 3,012. So over 3GB! Is this normal? Remember I'm running -nologs. I mean, 3,000+ is around the amount you'd get running a memory benchmark stress test. Is this normal for Arma or is there an issue?

Sorry to bug you guys again.

I made the changes I mentioned above and played 1:50 minutes and didn't crash. Although that's good for me I do have to bare in mind I went over 2 hours the night before, before the changes. I'll test more tonight.

Question: During the mission I noticed my FPS degrading. I know this can happen for various reasons (even harmless normal ones like being in cities, etc.) so I opened GPU-Z to get a read on what things looked like because my temps were fine.

My GPU memory while in game was 3,012. So over 3GB! Is this normal? Remember I'm running -nologs. I mean, 3,000+ is around the amount you'd get running a memory benchmark stress test. Is this normal for Arma or is there an issue?

Yeah, that sounds about correct to me. We did set maxVRAM to 3071 which is that size, and Arma tries to only take up 2gb of regular memory, which is pretty small for what it does. So it makes sense for it to try and use up all memory availible to it before going to actual VRAM

Well guys I decided to put a fork in it, call it done and get a replacement card.

Last night was the absolute worst. I didn't think it was possible but sure enough...

I turn on my computer and my mouse started to flicker a loading icon every few seconds. Not thinking much of it I launch Arma and get greeted with a blackscreen when I tried to enter a MP mission I made. Alt+tab wouldn't work and neither would task manager so I had to hard reset the computer.

About 15 minutes later, I launch the game again and my sound started stuttering and my frames went down to around 1.

I exited the game and I kid you not my graphics driver uninstalled itself right in front of my face.

I restarted the computer and I guess Windows can repair these things automatically? It auto-downloaded a newer Nvidia driver for me. Anyway, that caused the entire screen to flicker every few seconds and I then just decided to call it quits for the night.

I'm nuking this thing. Getting a new 970 tomorrow and am going to install Windows from scratch. I'm not discounting the fact that I may have a PSU problem on top of it. Want to know why and also read about my devil incarnate kitty cat? Click here: http://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=2466003

Just a quick update:

I did a clean install of W10 and replaced my 970 and at least after playing various missions for 3 hours, nothing unusual happened.

Hopefully this nightmare is over and I could have done it without you guys.

Fingers crossed.

Keyword for solving problems with Win10 is

I did a clean install of W10...

3 gigabytes does not equal 3000 megabytes. everything scales to the power of 2, 1 gig = 1024 megabytes, 1024x3 = 3072, so there is still a small chunk that is unused.