Hello!

I had to create a workaround* when using triggers to be able to broadcast sound effects with hints to all connected clients (on dedicated server) and all is good excluding the fact that I'm unable to use the sound I'd like to, probably because I don't know how to correctly reference it (incorrect filename or something the like).

I'm using remoteExec to broadcast sounds to all connected clients. Using the method is tried and tested to work with vanilla sound Alarm:

"Alarm" remoteExec ["playSound"];

As for the sound file I'd like to use, I tried to use absolute(?) path and filename with and without the extension, like so:
"a3\missions_f_beta\data\sounds\firing_drills\checkpoint_not_clear.wss"
"checkpoint_not_clear.wss"
"checkpoint_not_clear"

but all these depending on what I was trying at the time of testing were returned with Sound nnnn not found.

When we're talking about vanilla sounds there should not be the need to grab that one sound file I'd like to use and add it to my mission (and then reference the sound from the mission folder) or is there?

So how do I correctly reference A3 vanilla sounds to be used in a trigger? Is there perchance a separate config file somewhere that would show the correct names of the sound files with which to reference them?

Or should I use setSoundEffect (but I still wouldn't know how to correctly reference the sound file)?

* It's all fun and games when you are creating a multiplayer mission and it's sort of slowly closing to be "finalized any moment now!". You've been testing it meticulously by running it as multiplayer mission through the in-game editor. And when you switch to dedicated server to test not much of the already established to be working is actually working, like simple triggers with hints and trigger (sound) effects.

playSound "example";

And you need to define that in the description.ext under CfgSounds

class example
{
	name = "example";
	sound[] = {"@A3\sounds_f\characters\parachute\parachute_landing.wss", 10, 1};
	titles[] = {};
};

Maybe that helps you

playSound "example";

class example
{
	name = "example";
	titles[] = {};
};

Maybe that helps you

Good one. One question, though - how do you find out the relative path to a sound? This -> @A3\sounds_f\characters\parachute\parachute_landing.wss

How did you get it? Some custom config browser?

Good one. One question, though - how do you find out the relative path to a sound? This -> @A3\sounds_f\characters\parachute\parachute_landing.wss

I never tested but got that info from a german forum post:

Editor -> F7 -> Modules -> Sounds

playSound "example";

class example
{
	name = "example";
	titles[] = {};
};
Maybe that helps you

This did the magic, thank you Arkensor for the quick reply.

I had thought vanilla sounds (even if "Addon") would be so integral part of the game that you would be able to reference them without the need to go for using class CfgSounds in the description.ext. This had lead me to completely overlook what is being said in Description.ext's section for CfgSounds (it's basically telling the reader that the Addon sounds even if from vanilla game need to be declared in the Description.ext/Cfg Sounds).

I used a method described here by davidoss to "extract" the complete "sound files list":

Run this code inside the debug console and look your rpt after:

_cfg = configFile >> "cfgSounds";
for "_i" from 0 to (count _cfg) - 1 do { _sounds = getArray (configfile >> "CfgSounds" >> configName (_cfg select _i) >> "sound");
diag_log format ["%1", _sounds select 0];};

You can do this with the in-game editor:

• create a simple mission (place only playable character)
  • save the mission as MPMissions and with any name
  • add description.ext file in the mission folder and in the file add->

enableDebugConsole = 1;
    (1 = Available in SP and for hosts / logged in admins)

• launch the mission through the editor as (internet) multiplayer mission
  • press ESC in the game and you should see the Debug Console
  • copy&paste the earlier code by davidoss in the Debug Console and hit SERVER EXEC
  • navigate to C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Arma 3 to find the server .rpt-file
  • open the file and scroll down to find the point where a listing of sound files with filepaths begin
"\a3\sounds_f\sfx\beep_target.wss"
"\a3\sounds_f\sfx\zoomin.wss"
"\a3\sounds_f\sfx\zoomout.wss"
"\A3\sounds_f\missions\scuba_breath"
"a3\sounds_f\sfx\radio\ambient_radio2"
"a3\sounds_f\sfx\radio\ambient_radio6"
"a3\sounds_f\sfx\radio\ambient_radio8"
"A3\missions_f\data\sounds\click.wss"
"A3\Sounds_F\sfx\alarm"

and so on..

^That's one way to do it! :)

I never tested but got that info from a german forum post:

Editor -> F7 -> Modules -> Sounds

I saw that same suggestion somewhere else.. but I can not find anything Sounds related in the Modules, can you? Another thing is that pressing F7 doesn't point to Modules anymore.

below is correct:

_cfg = configFile >> "A3_Sounds_F"; 
for "_i" from 0 to (count _cfg) - 1 do { _sounds = getArray (configfile >> "CfgSounds" >> configName (_cfg select _i) >> "A3_Sounds_F_Sfx"); 
diag_log format ["%1", _sounds select 0];};

thanks for info , thanks davidoss

On 3/30/2016 at 4:21 AM, Asmodeuz said:

_cfg = configFile >> "cfgSounds"; for "_i" from 0 to (count _cfg) - 1 do { _sounds = getArray (configfile >> "CfgSounds" >> configName (_cfg select _i) >> "sound"); diag_log format ["%1", _sounds select 0];};

I'm looking for vanilla weapon fired sound effects (the "bang") to play using playSound3D.  The above shows sound effects but not weapon firing sounds.

How do I find weapon firing sounds?  When I look at the config viewer in the editor I can find a particular weapon and see Dry Fire sound paths, and impact sound paths, but I do not see the weapon firing sound paths.

Please advise.