No, because you might want them to immediately start suppressing something else and it would be annoying to have to tell them to stop and start again.

• Like 1

In case some don't know, another way to order suppressive fire is to select units, hold down Alt, then move cursor to point/target you want to suppress, select if you want to units to watch or suppress using mouse wheel, then click middle mouse button.  B)

No, because you might want them to immediately start suppressing something else and it would be annoying to have to tell them to stop and start again.

Good point.

Practical Question:

Will a Menu 2, option 1 stop the suppression? As in Target Menu, "No target" selection?

Or if that wasnt thought about, may I suggest it.

This should already work.

I think they mentioned that this is in the works.

Awesome.  Very doubtful then that suppressive fire will make it into 1.58, I suspect.  No rush, better to get it right.  But it certainly is a feature that I want in stable ASAP!  ;)

Once we added it to Samo via a keybind, a dedicated cease fire key was extremely handy. I'm not sure you want to go the route of more keybinds but we found the dedicated keys were used much more then the menu, once added...

food for thought...

• Like 1

What about changing the functionality of the Hold Fire command.

Units which do suppressive fire should Cease Fire

Units which are not firing should Hold Fire

• Like 2

What about changing the functionality of the Hold Fire command.

Units which do suppressive fire should Cease Fire

Units which are not firing should Hold Fire

Thats a pretty good idea too. 

I always try to think of worst case scenario and underfire, crawling to a rock, we found the menu was a pain to access and scroll through and a single button really made the whole system easier to access and more useful under duress. 

and yes StTosin... you were right  :P

Now with the player having the ability to command their subordinates to lay down suppressing fire, will other AI leaders have this ability as well?

As it currently stands, the AI is fairly "shoot to kill" at the moment, only firing when they have a strong chance of eventually being able to hit you (with an extra couple of shots once they lose LoS). Letting them suppress the player would make it a lot less clear (and interesting) whether or not the cover you take is safe.

Good point. Hoping for lots of AI suppressive fire in the jungles of Tanoa. And yes, it DOES make things more interesting and thrilling if your not sure if the enemy knows exactly where you are or just suspects enemies in a territory and is trying to flush them out.

I think the AI need a little more time before opening suppression as they're  spraying bullets into the ground quite close to themselves hitting other units around them sometimes.

The script description in debug console states commandSuppressiveFire accepts position or target but I can only get it to work for target.

If I group 3 men to me, place truck called truck1 30m in front of me and issue order by script

{_x commandSuppressiveFire (getPos truck1)} forEach units group player

They all reply "negative"

If I use:

{_x commandSuppressiveFire truck1} forEach units group player

they suppress it.

When I order my AI units to suppress I get a Negative. Maybe one fires and then a small flash of text appears under the unit icons in my Units bar.

I assume dr. hladik, is hard at work still on this...would be nice for all AI to suppress irrespective of weapon. Still have Negative from certain units when ordered to Suppress a position.

I was leading a 4-man blufor FT. I ordered them to supress something 400m away, none opened fire, although 1-2 of them got into position (went prone, looked at location).

Once I spawned enemies there, the AI suppressed when I gave the command.

So yeah, position seems buggy, target works.

How can this command be used with zeus? If it cannot, it should be added ASAP!

Taking control of the squad leader and then ordering to suppress is not possible due to controlling unit not being able to command the squad. This is a Zeus issue.

• Like 1

If we can get "Gun-Run" as well ,for flying units?  Suppress with A-1 from Unsung and other mods.

Ai reports Negative if there is an small obstacle in front it

• Like 1

We received the Suppressive command and is the perfect complement to 1.60!

But unfortunately today (v1.60) "Suppressive command" only works for the player. 

I noticed what any AI-commander never uses it. BIS please teach the AI-commanders under certain conditions to use this ability against player or against the enemy AI.

This will make gameplay and AI opponents more interesting and dangerous.

Users please support this ticket - https://feedback.bistudio.com/T117528

• Like 7

I hope the issues mentioned in this thread get fixed. This functionality is very instrumental in making AI appealing.

I hope the issue mentioned in this thread get fixed. This functionality is very instrumental in making AI appealing.

it will likely not get implemented as very difficult to select when it is appropriate for AI to be suppressing. The default AI is designed as 'jack of all trades', able to assault as well as overwatch. Implementing suppression would inhibit their ability to do other things. The commands are available for community designers to implement it when it is appropriate.

Some had an idea from another thread, to link Tactical Ping to AI suppressive fire. If you order your squad to suppress fire, if there is a tactical ping location in line of sight, that they prioritize that over their chosen/assigned targets. Also linking into the 'watch direction' 'commandwatch' would be great.

it will likely not get implemented as very difficult to select when it is appropriate for AI to be suppressing. 

@mdcclxxvi I dont agree with you.
Once, long ago, probably someone thought, that the "suppression" for the player is a difficult task in Arma. But today we have it. 
AI to use it yourself , we don't need super difficult preconditions. 

Several times, after the "Suppression order", I received heavy fire at itself!

Note! I was not in the line of fire (between the enemy and my squad)  My subordinate AI, just turns towards to me and kills my character!

Sometimes I don't understand how it works. Somebody such saw?

Probably the AI does not use the current target, and uses only the players cursor?

AI will suppress even friendly targets.

This poses a problem with griefing/trolling as well as being a bit odd.

• Like 1