Yes I did {_x commandSuppressiveFire player} forEach units someGroup1 and it crashed my game  :\

Is the command suppressFor  to be integrated with the system or obsoleted?

Since it's not yet on wiki, I believe it's to be integrated. Would actually make sense, because without setting the time of suppression the commands are kinda useless for scripting e.g gun ranges

I am hoping it works like "suppress that bush even though there is no fire coming from it".

That's be good when your squad goes winchester.

Seriously does AI control its fire rate?

Or does it just fire until empty...

That's be good when your squad goes winchester.

Maybe they adjust the firerate depending on current weapon's mag size?

If it's 100-200, you can easily let yourself spread some more freedom than normal.

1b. They do not new clear line of sight. They ignore trees and need just to see ~70%-90% of the distance

Did that mean "they do not need"? First thing I did was order a guy to kneel behind one of the stone walls for a firing position, because I tend to do that with AI during gameplay. They won't fire even when standing up behind one of these walls, or really any kind of object, even a chicken wire fence.

Their ROF seems dependent on range. Up close they will fire rapidly, but when shooting at a target 200m away they'll fire about one round per second. That's with a rifle.

Their ROF seems dependent on range. Up close they will fire rapidly, but when shooting at a target 200m away they'll fire about one round per second. That's with a rifle.

They use the same fire mode they would use for normal target on the given distance. See wiki about weapon config here and here

• Like 1

I don't know the computational power needed to assess whether a .5 meter adjustment to gain LOS in a non-scripted 3d world - but if its at all possible, it should be done imo. The whole discussion of should they be exacting robots or have some room for 'human adjustment' keeps (and suppose always will) riseing its head and always seems to fall back to the most common sense answer - qualifier key. Now that disabling autoDanger is enabled yet tied to no command, seems like the most likely building block towards this all promising key.

agree. having more believable ai  (aka little more intelligence and autonomy) would be excellent. finding the best cover position and best firing position is somehting any human commander would expect of his troops.

• Like 1

Yes I did {_x commandSuppressiveFire player} forEach units someGroup1 and it crashed my game  :\

Will be fixed asap.

• Like 2

1. How to cease suppress fire? Now I use x-2-1 "no target" to cease fire but AI always waste one mag before cease fire.

2. ai don't care if there is friendly in front of them when suppressing.

3. using this order can TK team members.

1. Will be fixed

2,3. They do care about friendlies, but I guess they could care more.

• Like 1

Is the command suppressFor  to be integrated with the system or obsoleted?

Obsolete.

At this moment time is controlled by FSM, so I can give airplanes more time.

• Like 1

2,3. They do care about friendlies, but I guess they could care more.

On a somewhat related note: AI in Arma3 often walk or even stand right on front of a squadmate that is firing. This often happens in cramped spaces of course, but I've seen it even in open terrain with squad in line formation which really shouldn't happen. A real soldier, if he has to change position in that line will always walk behind it, not in front of it. This could probably be achieved in game by creating some kind of "no walk" zone in front of soldiers, like a cone extending outwards for a certain distance that is active either when squad is in combat mode, or when the soldier is firing his gun.

kptpXD4.png

• Like 5

Yeah I cant tell you how many times I have had to assume the roll of AR gunner-for the suppressing fire-and the odd AI buddy waltz in front of my line of fire.

Is suppression in the main build, or is it DLC ? I saw Marksman DLC mentioned somewhere.

Dev build

Dev build

Thanks. Good. That's means it should not be long until it works its way through to the main build :)

Is suppression in the main build, or is it DLC ? I saw Marksman DLC mentioned somewhere.

I can see how there could be a bit of confusion.

In Marksmen DLC, one of the platform features we added was 'Suppression'. We described the feature in the release blog like this:

Concentrated fire in the immediate vicinity of an enemy degrades their ability to move and return fire. Our AI can now detect projectiles flying / impacting near them, so they'll try to avoid taking cover in areas under heavy fire, and will also receive cumulative 'dynamic aiming error' penalties (making them less quick / accurate in their reaction).

This mechanic offers a certain depth of simulation, accounting for the calibre of the suppressing weapon and the skill of the AI under fire. With intelligent planning and movement, squads can cooperate to gain a tactical advantage, out-maneuvering enemy positions - or securing a safe retreat!

This laid the groundwork for more features. Now (on Dev-Branch / on Default Branch at some time on the #RoadToApex), it's possible for commanders to order their subordinates to lay down 'suppressive fire' on / around a certain area. Together, these features improve players' ability to plan / move more tactically.

If you know / suspect an enemy position - but don't have a direct line of sight - it's possible to order units to target / shoot at 'empty' spaces (there are some limitations. If AI see friendly units or civilians, they won't shoot); previously, it was only possible to target a legitimate, known, target.

Best,

RiE

Now with the player having the ability to command their subordinates to lay down suppressing fire, will other AI leaders have this ability as well?

As it currently stands, the AI is fairly "shoot to kill" at the moment, only firing when they have a strong chance of eventually being able to hit you (with an extra couple of shots once they lose LoS). Letting them suppress the player would make it a lot less clear (and interesting) whether or not the cover you take is safe.

• Like 2

The new suppressive fire works great.  There is a placeholder "missing st." (?) text under icons of friendly squadmates who are engaging in suppressive fire.  Will it eventually read "Suppress" or something?  I hope this makes it into 1.58!

Having enemy AI suppress you even when out of LoS will make the game much more brutal.  Hopefully AI squad leaders will also have the capability to order their squads to suppress the enemy.

• Like 2

If you know / suspect an enemy position - but don't have a direct line of sight - it's possible to order units to target / shoot at 'empty' spaces (there are some limitations. If AI see friendly units or civilians, they won't shoot); previously, it was only possible to target a legitimate, known, target.

Practical Question:

Will a Menu 2, option 1 stop the suppression? As in Target Menu, "No target" selection?

Or if that wasnt thought about, may I suggest it.

The surpress enhancement is great so far, really encourages the use of weapons teams and fortified positioning when working with AI.

In the ongoing development of this feature what are the chances of having some form of audio feedback from the command giver i.e. "suppress that enemy" or "fire on that position"?

I understand that adding to the 10+ existing voice sets currently available would be impractical, that is if you needed to get the voice actors back in.

I'm hoping, however, that it was forseen at the time of their recording and the voice snippets are sitting in a file somewhere in the audio dept...

E

In the ongoing development of this feature what are the chances of having some form of audio feedback from the command giver i.e. "suppress that enemy" or "fire on that position"?

I think they mentioned that this is in the works.

• Like 1

Practical Question:

Will a Menu 2, option 1 stop the suppression? As in Target Menu, "No target" selection?

Or if that wasnt thought about, may I suggest it.

Good question.  I used just Regroup command to stop suppressive fire, but another method is needed, as you may not want all units to return to formation after they stop suppressive fire.  One could also just order those units, who may be out of formation in a different position, to just Stop after you order them to regroup.  I didn't try the 2-1 method.

How about making the suppress command context sensitive? If AI is already suppressing, then the command could be replaced by "Stop suppressing".

• Like 1