In dev. 135197 we have made some changes how suppress command works

1. select some units

2. press 3-9

3. some units will start shooting at given position / vehicle

(there is new suppressTarget in datra)

known issues

- does not work for gunner in your vehicle (same issue as for artillery fire at position command)

• Like 14

It's finally here... very interested to test.

rev 135205

added commands commandSuppressiveFire and doSuppressiveFire

• Like 3

Wow - really nice feature, excellent ! :)

If you really want to spitshine this feature, make sure "stop suppressing" is available (not mentioned above) and that some low-ammo usage mode is available as well. Like "suppress on full auto" vs. bursts with a few seconds between. From a mod which had suppression, I remember that the AI could go through their ammo rather quick .

Confused. Was this implemented today cause looks like no patch was released??

Wow - really nice feature, excellent ! :)

If you really want to spitshine this feature, make sure "stop suppressing" is available (not mentioned above) and that some low-ammo usage mode is available as well. Like "suppress on full auto" vs. bursts with a few seconds between. From a mod which had suppression, I remember that the AI could go through their ammo rather quick .

To make it simple, AI will keep shooting for 15s (airplanes have more time to do what they need to do) and other commands like regroup will stop them.

Implementation might still be changed according to feedback.

Please do remember that this is dev version => work in progress.

Confused. Was this implemented today cause looks like no patch was released??

Well, I published the code changes today. Not sure when the next dev update will be :).

• Like 2

It is not based on VBS solution.

It was based on suppression in C2:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=28040

Which was based on suppression in SAMO:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=27359

Which was based on:

VBS? Too much Wikipedia and YouTube videos lol.

In all seriousness I am really excited to see this feature work without any mod requirements. Loving the fact AI keeps getting this kind of attention.

• Like 1

Does this command influence if they go Full auto or Burst etc? And what maximum range can point to a target and say Suppress that at 300 meters or more.

It rather does raise the question "Is there a command for suppressive fire?", e.g. Suppress that wall 300 at 10 o'clock!

Or is there some form of measure? Like "Full fire" or "Half fire"

Because with most infantry only carrying 7+1 magazines, I imagine that a squad could run dry within a matter of minutes if they didn't control their fire.

Personally I think that it would be awesome to be able to order your comrades to suppress at varying levels.

What do you think?

It rather does raise the question "Is there a command for suppressive fire?", e.g. Suppress that wall 300 at 10 o'clock!

Or is there some form of measure? Like "Full fire" or "Half fire"

Because with most infantry only carrying 7+1 magazines, I imagine that a squad could run dry within a matter of minutes if they didn't control their fire.

Personally I think that it would be awesome to be able to order your comrades to suppress at varying levels.

What do you think?

I think this feature could be usable if dr spends more time on it and expend and customize it.

Just like you said: Rate of fire, Cone, beating area, time.

I am hoping it works like "suppress that bush even though there is no fire coming from it".

Really cool feature. A few observations:

1. I get a lot of "Negative" as reply when ordering to suppress. I guess it is because the AI doesn't have clear line of sight to the target. Perhaps they should have some freedom to move slightly to achieve a clear line of sight before they reply "Negative"?

2. The status under the AI's name while suppressing says "Missing s." which I guess means missing string.

3. When an AI is done suppressing, he goes for a walk, about 10m forward of his initial position, even if order is to follow leader and leader stands still the entire time.

Really cool feature. A few observations:

1. I get a lot of "Negative" as reply when ordering to suppress. I guess it is because the AI doesn't have clear line of sight to the target. Perhaps they should have some freedom to move slightly to achieve a clear line of sight before they reply "Negative"?

2. The status under the AI's name while suppressing says "Missing s." which I guess means missing string.

3. When an AI is done suppressing, he goes for a walk, about 10m forward of his initial position, even if order is to follow leader and leader stands still the entire time.

1a. Yes. At this moment they do not try to find better fire position. It is being considered (there is also an opinion that if I send them somewhere, they should stay there).

1b. They do not need clear line of sight. They ignore trees and need just to see ~70%-90% of the distance

2. Work in progress :). Same goes for sounds.

3. They should remain on given position, if they are not part of main subgroup. And they should regroup, if they were part of main subgroup. So maybe you have just moved or direction of group has changed, so they had to move also when returning to group?

Edited by dr. hladik
  • Like 1

1a. Yes. At this moment they do not try to find better fire position. It is being considered (there is also an opinion that if I send them somewhere, they should stay there).

I don't know the computational power needed to assess whether a .5 meter adjustment to gain LOS in a non-scripted 3d world - but if its at all possible, it should be done imo. The whole discussion of should they be exacting robots or have some room for 'human adjustment' keeps (and suppose always will) riseing its head and always seems to fall back to the most common sense answer - qualifier key. Now that disabling autoDanger is enabled yet tied to no command, seems like the most likely building block towards this all promising key.

• Like 2

It looks like heavy machine gunners only use 1 shot burst if suppressing, I think they should use something like 3-4 shot burst.

Additionally, it would be nice if commandSuppressiveFire and doSuppressiveFire would take a number as third parameter to set the duration of the suppressive fire, but then again there is the command suppressFor which was not mentioned in the update .

Last but not least, will AI controlled squads make use of the suppressive fire?

When using '~' to select all troops and giving a 3-9 order they reply with "negative" and do nothing as opposed to using F2 and up

Should I trust that the AI will switch to engaging real targets if one should walk into their suppression area? I haven't had the time to test it myself yet.

1. How to cease suppress fire? Now I use x-2-1 "no target" to cease fire but AI always waste one mag before cease fire.

2. ai don't care if there is friendly in front of them when suppressing.

3. using this order can TK team members.

Can anyone confirm that

_unit doSuppressiveFire _target (object) 

often crashes the game?