Sign in to follow this  
zisb

Community Made Terrains Pack

Greetings,

I am making this post because I have decided to start a community pack of terrains 

The idea of the pack would bring about a few positives for both terrain makers and the community:

• Single addon, this would hopefully allow the less technically talented to easily install a large amount of maps quickly for their projects or to join a server running the maps. 
  • Popularity, because of the simplicity of the install hopefully most servers would and projects would require the pack
  • The more people with the pack downloaded the better exposure lesser known terrains get, many people are hesitant to run terrains other than what people already have downloaded, this provides a solution
  • Terrain Maker's rights respected, this is a really important topic to me, all map content creators would be appropriately credited and linked to

I am currently attempting to reach out to terrain creators and get permission and/or hear their thoughts on the issue

Let me know your thoughts and if anyone would like to help out  :D

Best Regards,

zisb

Can't see it working.

Consider that recently people (I wasn't one of them) voted overwhelmingly in favour of CUP releasing their terrains as separately downloadable maps even after it was pointed out that the prerequisite package required to run any one of them was ~3 times the size of all of the maps combined. And all of these maps are part of the official canon. People like to pick and choose (even when it makes no sense).

"Single addon". Massive re-download for the community when a terrain is updated...

• Like 1

"Single addon". Massive re-download for the community when a terrain is updated...

Realistically, how often do you see terrains updating though?

Realistically, how often do you see terrains updating though?

Quite often - especially when a terrain has only recently been released. Terrain makers will try their hardest to test and debug islands but players will always find more. It's more that this doesn't really serve much of a purpose to many people's needs. As a server admin I can say that having large lumped together addons makes it more difficult to distribute and update players.

Soooo, just a pack full of other people's maps? Why? If someone can install one mod, they can install 2 or 10 or 100.

• Like 2

Soooo, just a pack full of other people's maps? Why? If someone can install one mod, they can install 2 or 10 or 100.

Exactly, i don't see any benefit in creating such a community terrain pack. If you interested in helping/creating something perhaps join the CUP (Community Upgrade Project).

• Like 2