karver

Arma 3 Server OS

I'm looking to get a dedi box from Vilayer to host an Arma 3 Server. I was wondering what OS do you guys think is best for running a server?

I don't know about performance differences, but there is a lot more support for running servers on Windows like TADST server tool. I don't know if there is a Linux version of that tool or not. I'm curious if there is a significant server performance increase/decrease on Linux vs Windows and look forward to someone replying with any experience.

Windows server 2008 r2 or 2012 work fine, not sure how long 2008 has left for support but it works fine and is normally the cheapest of Windoze licenses.

The one that you are most comfortable working with would be the answer.

Historically, Linux is always the last to be worked upon, Windows always seems to be the priority dedi and when a new version of the game is released, the Windows server.exe always comes out well in advance of the linux server.exe

At this stage of the development both are catered for about the same, Linux has a minor issue with hosting multiple Bikeys, this is easily worked around by signing all your addons with your own key.

B.I are aware of this issue and have detailed information as to what has caused it

I run a few servers on Windows 7 which seem to run fairly well.  Even on older machines like the Dell PowerEdge 850

Windows server 2008 r2 or 2012 work fine, not sure how long 2008 has left for support but it works fine and is normally the cheapest of Windoze licenses.

My newest server, a Dell PowerEdge 2950, came freshly installed with Windows 2008 R2.  I have been setting it up for use to host a BECTI server, among some other hosting applications, however the arma3server.exe executable is not executing.  Even in admin mode, and with compatibility set to Windows 7.  I have verified the install with SteamCMD...

The odd thing is, I don't even see the window open and then flash closed.  It just doesn't do anything.  Nothing starts in task manager, no error message...   Odd.

DirectX is installed and up to date.  I am not sure what else is really needed aside from a barebones windows install?   It doesn't need .NET does it?

DirectX is installed and up to date.  I am not sure what else is really needed aside from a barebones windows install?   It doesn't need .NET does it?

.net i really can't remember, you do need Visual C++ Redistributables, vc 2008 and vc 2003 should be sufficient